Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

"

“Right now, there’s no evidence that [wearing face masks] is going to help prevent that infection,” says infectious disease expert Dr. Charles Chiu who works as a professor of laboratory medicine at the University of California, San Francisco. “I would not recommend that someone in the US who does not have direct exposure did not recently travel to China…or in general that you go buy a face mask.”

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, the coronavirus is spread due to sick people not undertaking the typical don’t get other people sick advice; stay home if you’re sick, cough into the sleeve of your elbow, stay away from other sick people, and the most significant line of defense is to properly wash your hands.

Are we all losing our minds, though? What’s the point of surgical masks that we’re made to wear if we go to the doctor and have cold or flu symptoms? Turns out, surgical masks are useful if you are sick—but not so much if you’re trying not to get sick. Just let that sink in when you buy the masks. Use them if you or your kid have a cold — just don’t expect them to be a shield for everything else.

“Wearing a surgical mask helps you prevent sharing your germs if you’re sick,” Saskia Popescu, a hospital epidemiologist, and infection prevention expert said to CNN. “Surgical masks do not seal around the face, so while they offer some protection, it’s the mask N95 [a true respiratory mask we see doctors wear on TV] that offers the most protection.”"

20 minutes ago, texasdago said:

"

“Right now, there’s no evidence that [wearing face masks] is going to help prevent that infection,” says infectious disease expert Dr. Charles Chiu who works as a professor of laboratory medicine at the University of California, San Francisco. “I would not recommend that someone in the US who does not have direct exposure did not recently travel to China…or in general that you go buy a face mask.”

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, the coronavirus is spread due to sick people not undertaking the typical don’t get other people sick advice; stay home if you’re sick, cough into the sleeve of your elbow, stay away from other sick people, and the most significant line of defense is to properly wash your hands.

Are we all losing our minds, though? What’s the point of surgical masks that we’re made to wear if we go to the doctor and have cold or flu symptoms? Turns out, surgical masks are useful if you are sick—but not so much if you’re trying not to get sick. Just let that sink in when you buy the masks. Use them if you or your kid have a cold — just don’t expect them to be a shield for everything else.

“Wearing a surgical mask helps you prevent sharing your germs if you’re sick,” Saskia Popescu, a hospital epidemiologist, and infection prevention expert said to CNN. “Surgical masks do not seal around the face, so while they offer some protection, it’s the mask N95 [a true respiratory mask we see doctors wear on TV] that offers the most protection.”"

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/604799O/ohes-h1n1-influenza-a-faq.pdf

Here is 3M's FAQ about mask and the flu 

People are going to make a run on surgical mask and probably the N95 and N100 masks as well. The confer some protection as long as you don't get fool hardy and think you can just walk up to anyone with the novel Corona virus and be protected. Distance is your best friend.

I don't think we'll get a good handle on the R0 and mortality % until we get reliable statistics and WHO going into China may help. I haven't trusted the numbers since they have been released. It actually could be a lower mortality rate due to non-reporting. Remember, a whole lot of people will just develop a "cold" with this virus. Combing this with Flu A and B and the few other prevalent viruses (parainfluenza, rhinovirus, etc.), then we have no reliable screening tools unless we get accurate point of care rapid testing (like for strep).

Hopefully this thing mutates down in virulence. I would be interested to see if past exposure and antibody development to other coronavirus will help the immune system.

As unfortunate as Kobe's and the other helicopter victims deaths are, it and the impeachment likely buffered the news from getting us completely freaked out.  I do know the CDC is making coordinated efforts with state and local health department to recommend exposure and testing protocols at the local level.

If the US sees a significant outbreak then the timing sucks because we actually have poor capacity in our health care system to have mass infectious disease present to our hospitals. Flu and the rest of the infectious soup already have our local hospitals at capacity.

2 hours ago, gecko said:

Lots of people wearing surgical masks at IAH this morning. Is that really going to make a difference?

From what I read, the surgical masks that people are wearing are meant to keep the person from spreading things.  They don't help with breathing in viruses because the seal isn't that tight and it can come in through the sides.  And if they don't cover the eyes, that is another way a virus can enter the body.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/01/25/799007842/coronavirus-faqs-do-masks-help-is-the-disease-really-so-mysterious

Edited by EuroHorn

1 hour ago, EuroHorn said:

From what I read, the surgical masks that people are wearing are meant to keep the person from spreading things.  They don't help with breathing in viruses because the seal isn't that tight and it can come in through the sides.  And if they don't cover the eyes, that is another way a virus can enter the body.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/01/25/799007842/coronavirus-faqs-do-masks-help-is-the-disease-really-so-mysterious

Yup. 

you need to seal the edges of mask (with a proper filter) and eye shield like a welder. basically you need to look like a human salad bar

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Yup. 

you need to seal the edges of mask (with a proper filter) and eye shield like a welder. basically you need to look like a human salad bar

You could get the 3M full face respirator, but I’m not sure if they have any cartridges that are rated for bio/virus. 

2 hours ago, EuroHorn said:

I think this works, but TSA has been a total PITA so far:

darth-vader-b.jpg?w=1000

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EuroHorn said:

I first saw those put in public when my parents lived in Japan in the late 90s.  It was understood that the people wearing them were ill.  Those things meant "I'm sick but I have to go to work and I'm too nice to infect the whole subway getting there."  The idea was simple - if the sick person sneezed or coughed, less shit went flying to potentially infect others.  

Don't know where people got the idea that they worked backwards.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away