Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

Well BAMC is on Fort Sam so I doubt any corona quarantinees ever make their way there, since Fort Sam wasn’t a mentioned base. Also don’t know that I’d call it massive, you can see the whole thing from 35 and it doesn’t look that big. I’ve never been in there though, maybe there’s underground levels.

Yeah, 5 or 6 IIRC

I wouldnt panic yet. Everyone freaked out about ebola/bird flu/SARS and it ended being much adu about nothing. Im sure this will be a major issue in China and less developed countries but for the USA, probably not gonna do much damage. Although the 14 day contagious incubation period is the major issue with this one. 

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Ray is busy at the moment trying to process things.

spacer.png

I am not panicking yet. I had a 4 foot tall 19 year old dwarf over for lunch.

A good friend of mine here has had a flu like virus for about 10 days, and he is coughing now. I suggested he might take some antibiotics to prevent a bacterial infection on top of it since strep is making the rounds too. I will pick up a course or two of amoxicillin and azithromycin OTC just in case. My sore throat could be gonorrhea too, so maybe I will take some now just to get ahead of it, whatever it is. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

NYTimes: As New Coronavirus Spread, China’s Old Habits Delayed Fight
As New Coronavirus Spread, China’s Old Habits Delayed Fight

https://nyti.ms/37Q9QMy

Thanks for the article. Too bad no one can sue the Chinese government. I found this part toward the end of the article disconcerting:

Crowds of people crushed the airport and train stations to get out before the deadline fell on the morning of Jan. 23.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Thanks for the article. Too bad no one can sue the Chinese government. I found this part toward the end of the article disconcerting:

Crowds of people crushed the airport and train stations to get out before the deadline fell on the morning of Jan. 23.

Imagine trying to physically quarantine a city the geographical size of Houston.  

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Imagine trying to physically quarantine a city the geographical size of Houston.  

Yeah, but if you read the article, the Chinese government actually undermined the healthcare system. And then when they finally realized the extent of the problem, they allowed people to leave the city before implementing the quarantine. And by downplaying the virus, other countries did not know any better and allowed people from Wuhan to enter their countries without being examined.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I wouldnt panic yet. Everyone freaked out about ebola/bird flu/SARS and it ended being much adu about nothing. Im sure this will be a major issue in China and less developed countries but for the USA, probably not gonna do much damage. Although the 14 day contagious incubation period is the major issue with this one. 

I totally felt this way about Ebola until someone had it in the hospital 3 blocks from my house.  Then I started thinking about Hudson Bay.

• Like 1

I cant wrap my mind around them building a hospital that fast, regardless how basic it is in hospital standards, or how much was pre-fabbed ... still. I'm sure many workers were injured and parts of the hospital will need additional work. Clearing ground and going up that fast is amazing.  They had to skip a lot of inspections lol. 

I cant wrap my mind around them building a hospital that fast, regardless how basic it is in hospital standards, or how much was pre-fabbed ... still. I'm sure many workers were injured and parts of the hospital will need additional work. Clearing ground and going up that fast is amazing.  They had to skip a lot of inspections lol. 
Does concrete have to cure for a certain amount of time before it's considered safe to bear weight?

10 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
13 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Read more  

Does concrete have to cure for a certain amount of time before it's considered safe to bear weight?

Yes, concrete also has to pass certain standards, in the business it's called a slump test. Rebar as well.

With regards to have to and needing, they did what they had to do, regardless of whatever industry standards they have over there. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
55 minutes ago, Dewey said:

they are gonna house the sick there.... then  torch it. 

Seems like there's no stopping it, huh? Seems like the only bright spot is the death rate appears low but who knows how accurate the reports are. Also, how long does it take to people? There's a 14 day incubation period. Figure it takes at least a few days for fatal pneumonia to set in. So the large number of people infected two weeks ago wouldn't show up in the death toll yet. Seems like you would need to discount the infected rate in calculating the fatality rate, no? Do they do this?

19 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Coronavirus patient treated with Ebola anti-viral

Interesting to see how quickly he responded to the treatment

I want to see 2 more patients at "just contracted pneumonia stage" get treated with Remdesivir and respond the same way.

I plan on watching Gilead Sciences tomorrow morning when the market opens.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=exI3XoiUOua1tgWNnquwDw&q=gilead+sciences+stock+price&oq=Gilead+Sciences&gs_l=psy-ab.1.2.0i131l4j0l6.2217.2217..4512...0.0..0.79.79.1......0....2j1..gws-wiz.YcMzJh9t108

• Like 1

1 hour ago, horncyclist said:

So the large number of people infected two weeks ago wouldn't show up in the death toll yet. Seems like you would need to discount the infected rate in calculating the fatality rate, no? Do they do this?

The numbers have so many variables, it will be extremely difficult to get realistic summaries on morbidity and mortality. Garbage data in = garbage data out. Plus it's China so who knows how the figures are being massaged. The US considers its data collection and reporting to be 1st world and even with some brilliant statisticians, we aren't that great.

1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

The numbers have so many variables, it will be extremely difficult to get realistic summaries on morbidity and mortality. Garbage data in = garbage data out. Plus it's China so who knows how the figures are being massaged. The US considers its data collection and reporting to be 1st world and even with some brilliant statisticians, we aren't that great.

Is the diagnosis at this time strictly clinical? It doesn't appear they have any serology or PCR yet.

Edited by Thetexashammer

The first lab to isolate and study the virus, known provisionally as 2019-nCoV, was at the epicentre of the outbreak: in Wuhan, China. A team at the Wuhan Institute of Virology led by virologist Zheng-Li Shi isolated the virus from a 49-year-old woman, who developed symptoms on 23 December 2019 before becoming critically ill. Shi’s team found1 that the virus can kill cultured human cells and that it enters them through the same molecular receptor as another coronavirus: the one that causes SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome).

A lab in Australia announced on 28 January that it had obtained virus samples from an infected person who had returned from China. The team was preparing to share the samples with other scientists. Labs in France, Germany and Hong Kong are also isolating and preparing to share virus samples they obtained from local patients, says Bart Haagmans, a virologist at Erasmus Medical Center in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. “Probably next week we will get isolates from one of the different labs,” he says.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00262-7

4 hours ago, Dewey said:

The hospital looks extremely simple, and for all we know, they were pulling the pre-fab components from other projects (it is a state-run construction company).  They also turned an unused building into a thousand-bed hospital in four days as well.  

I’m curious if they can increase their testing, and whether we will see more than 2,700 new cases today.  

Well, if it is supposed to be a containment, quarantine and treatment facility the bars don’t shock me. From a PR perspective though they could have just as easily done it with reinforced thick plexiglass. Being that it is a facility only for this outbreak, the building will be under negative pressure and the windows won’t open anyway.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away