Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

We gave 2 friends on the Diamond Princess right now. I’m messaging his on FB. Says yesterday they only had a dried sandwich but today they had tea and juice, stir fry fir lunch and stew for dinner. 

They at least have a balcony.  I’d kill myself it I were in an inside cabin. Or do something to get arrested at least.

Crazy about the ship quarantine... don't you have to restart the 14 day quarantine period every time there is a new case? On day 13 there might be 50 new folks who have new (and infectious) cases. It just doesn't actually make any sense to keep them all together. It's not like those 500 folks are all exposed just one time X days ago. And you can't really just say everyone has to stay in their rooms, right? 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

people are dumb

A woman wearing a face mask was attacked at a Chinatown subway station after allegedly being called a “diseased bitch” — in what police are treating as a possible hate crime sparked by coronavirus fears.

So the mortality rate continues to fall, as predicted.  What’s interesting is, only 2 deaths outside of mainland China, and it feels like something in Wuhan made it extra potent there.  There’s got to be something  they are adding to their bat soup that the other provinces aren’t.  

Just now, 6th Street said:

Attacking diseased bitch to contact said disease. Good plan 

This is just a pretext for awful people to express how awful they are under their thin veneer of civility.  Notice certain media and organizations aren't missing a beat to whip up nationalistic and racist fervor.  Stupid is much more contagious than this virus.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

people are dumb

Yeah, but I'm not convinced it was a hate crime. However, I have to say that it is difficult to distinguish between hateful words, hateful people, and hate crimes. Was she robbed or just assaulted? If she was just assaulted, it was probably a hate crime. If she was robbed also, it was more likely just a hateful person who committed a crime against a woman who happened to be Asian. I have a friend who was assaulted in New Orleans. The 2 people who assaulted my friend and his fiance threw in a bunch of anti-white comments before pistol whipping them and robbing them at gun point. That crime probably wasn't a hate crime, either.

7 minutes ago, Loco said:

This is just a pretext for awful people to express how awful they are under their thin veneer of civility.  Notice certain media and organizations aren't missing a beat to whip up nationalistic and racist fervor.  Stupid is much more contagious than this virus.

Yep.  And there is nothing wrong with mentioning how the CCP fucked up yet another virus outbreak, and then tried to cover it up. 

As far as the racist stuff, none of it’s helped by the videos of bat soup, live mice entrees, etc., but yeah, some media organizations are definitely going here.  

Models, assumptions, maths ....

Figure 2 summarises our estimates of the basic reproductive number R0 and the outbreak size of 2019-nCoV in Wuhan as of Jan 25, 2020. In our baseline scenario, we estimated that R0 was 2·68 (95% CrI 2·47–2·86) with an epidemic doubling time of 6·4 days (95% CrI 5·8–7·1; figure 2). We estimated that 75,815 individuals (95% CrI 37,304–130,330) individuals had been infected in Greater Wuhan as of Jan 25, 2020. ...

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30260-9/fulltext

Edited by bernorange

31 minutes ago, Cajun said:

My first thought.

With the amount of toxic shit in the air, water, dirt, mud, etc in Beaumont, if it can survive that we've got no chance.

None at all.

In the golden triangle’s defense that virus came from central China. I sorta figure it’s got a jump start surviving in toxic environments

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

We can add one more death to yesterday's total. What is the over/under he really died from the virus?

I am surprised that he died. He seemed pretty young in the pictures. He got sick on Jan 11 but was tested on Feb 1. On what page were we discussing him?

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

Why ya gotta go bringin' aggy into this?

Ummmmm..... 

When officials at the Texas A&M University System sought to determine how much Chinese government funding its faculty members were receiving, they were astounded at the results—more than 100 were involved with a Chinese talent-recruitment program, even though only five had disclosed their participation.

A plant pathologist at the Texas system, where the median annual salary for such scientists employed by the state is around $130,000, told officials that the researcher had been offered $250,000 in compensation and more than $1 million in seed money to start a lab in China through one of the talent programs. The researcher ultimately rejected the offer, according to the Texas system’s chief research security officer, Kevin Gamache, who led the recent 18-month review that has garnered praise from U.S. officials.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chinas-funding-of-u-s-researchers-raises-red-flags-11580428915

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

A plant pathologist at the Texas system, where the median annual salary for such scientists employed by the state is around $130,000, told officials that the researcher had been offered $250,000 in compensation and more than $1 million in seed money to start a lab in China through one of the talent programs.

Aggy math at work   

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I am surprised that he died. He seemed pretty young in the pictures. He got sick on Jan 11 but was tested on Feb 1. On what page were we discussing him?

Post #1386 is the link to his interview with CNN a few days ago.  Given how he described himself, I can believe Coronavirus was his actual cause of death, not some government 'hit'.

34 years old doctor dies after being sick for a month and much of that in intensive care.  I'm not buying the Pollyanna narrative that a new strain of flu with a long incubation time and infectious well before symptoms appear is 'Just going to be a threat to the very old and very young, cuz stats (delayed and incomplete sample set full of giant holes) and won't have much impact here cuz not many reported deaths and cuz distance."

Leaky travel bans and joke screening methods may delay the timing a little bit, but I bet it has already established a foothold here in the US.  Most of us will probably be exposed to it in the next year, some of those will get it, and a subset of those will die.  I'm certainly not predicting a Spanish Flu scale of impact, but probably more significant for us than SARS.

Edited by clapclapclap

14 hours ago, RPM said:

If this were a movie, they would tell that ship to sail somewhere, then sink it.

27 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Damn, the entire city is dead. Millions of screaming Chinamen, dead.

We. are. all. going. to. die.

(Amazing the smog is still so bad, even with millions of cars off the streets).

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away