Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

57 minutes ago, bolverk said:

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned that "trolls and conspiracy theories" are undermining their response to the new coronavirus.

WHO Director General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters that misinformation was "making the work of our heroic workers even harder".

I'm betting he didn't call out the bogus 'official' numbers that the CCP are putting out.  Seems like that misinformation is making the work far harder than anything a lazy reporter or 4chan troll could do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

But the authorities are closing two schools next week, both of which are attended by the child with the virus, a nine-year-old boy who lives in the ski resort of Contamines-Montjoie with his family.

Pretty stupid to vacation in a resort named Contaminated-Mount Joy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the nips have the facilities to get everyone off the boat and isolated in something less compressing than an 8x10 room.

those boat pax are not quarantined, they are incarcerated.  treating them better than the chinese in my opinion means taking them off the boat.

i get greater good.  the chinese are sacrificing a huge number of people in WuHan for the greater good of the world.  but i feel no sympathy for a society that eats live snakes that eat live bats.  where is the world outrage at the chinese for allowing idiotic cultural traditions to persist and put the world at risk every day?

don't eat wildlife

kill your food before you eat it.

cook it.

who's eating live bats?

4 hours ago, bolverk said:

Coronavirus: Five Britons in French ski chalet catch virus

Five Britons have tested positive for coronavirus in eastern France, the French health minister has confirmed.

Four adults and a child were diagnosed with the virus after coming into contact with a British national who recently returned from Singapore.

The man returned to the UK on 28 January before being diagnosed with the virus himself on Thursday.

In France, the five Britons with the coronavirus - who were staying in the same ski chalet - are not in a serious condition, French officials said.

But the authorities are closing two schools next week, both of which are attended by the child with the virus, a nine-year-old boy who lives in the ski resort of Contamines-Montjoie with his family:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51425702

This seems like bad news on several fronts.

First, Singapore supposedly has only 40 cases. The chances of this Briton getting the virus from one of those forty known cases is pretty low. I would assume he caught it from someone else which means that it is passing from person to person in Singapore.

Second, I am suppose to be traveling to Singapore this summer so I might already be dead.

Third, it sounds like a lot of people were exposed at the airport and plane from Singapore to France, at the ski resort in France, and the child's schools. It might be possible that the frogs are fucked.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Third, it sounds like a lot of people were exposed at the airport and plane from Singapore to France, at the ski resort in France, and the child's schools. It might be possible that the frogs are fucked.

Damn it. Damn it. Damn it.  

I have a week long business conference in Paris in early March....I've been looking forward to this for some time, but with the slow and steady build of this virus I'm now thinking that it might not be a good idea to:

• Go through multiple airports,
  • Be in a sealed container for 10 hours with a couple hundred strangers,
  • Interact with about 3,000 people from all ends of Europe in a convention center.

There are 11 cases today in France, I think if that number doubles in the next week, I'm hitting the eject button.

16 hours ago, Xian said:

I hope you’re right, but with the 14 day incubation period we might not know the full extent yet. 

how long was the Beaumont guy Walking around before he went to the the hospital?  How many people did he pass it along to who still aren’t showing symptoms. How many people are they passing it long to. Hell, 28 days from now 1/5 of SE Texas might have it!  

His test results were released a few hours ago, they came back negative. SE Texas lives to fight another day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I have a week long business conference in Paris in early March....I've been looking forward to this for some time, but with the slow and steady build of this virus I'm now thinking that it might not be a good idea to:

• Interact with about 3,000 people from all ends of Europe in a convention center.

There are 11 cases today in France, I think if that number doubles in the next week, I'm hitting the eject button.

we are going to die here star wars GIF

12 hours ago, Bevo said:

12 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

It's Dr. Pepper, isn't it?  Take it at 10, 2 and 4 for a week, you're good to go....

Rohypnol

• Like 1

In the technical study linked a few pages back, 13% of patients studied died. It was a small sample, but still. 

I wonder why so many people in Hubei are dying and none outside? Is it the lack of resources? ie, Too many infected to properly care for. The ones outside Hubei can be isolated quickly and given tons of resources to make them better 

7 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

In the technical study linked a few pages back, 13% of patients studied died. It was a small sample, but still. 

I wonder why so many people in Hubei are dying and none outside? Is it the lack of resources? ie, Too many infected to properly care for. The ones outside Hubei can be isolated quickly and given tons of resources to make them better 

Yeah, I posted the article. BTW, so far the mortality rate in Wuhan is currently 3% using the BNO stats. My suspicion is that there are many, many mild cases. Most of those mild cases aren't being counted in Wuhan but they are being counted in other places. Only the severely sick are in the hospital in Wuhan. Once the disease leads to pneumonia, the mortality rate is very high. But many people don't develop pneumonia.

Can’t trust the Chinese stats so I’ve been paying attention to the cases outside of China. Decent number of those cases classified as “recovered”. Just 2 or 3 deaths, not very many listed as critical or serious. I don’t understand how this is so deadly in China and (seemingly) not all that much more serious than the regular flu outside China. 

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

Wuhan still has a mortality rate 10X higher than any other location. This has been consistent through the epidemic. So I assume that Wuhan has a lot more cases than it is admitting.

They were only testing those they were hospitalizing in Wuhan, and they only had beds for mostly severe/critical cases.  So a whole lot of mild cases were not tested.   Plus, they had a big backlog.  

Their testing capacity and number of hospital beds is supposed to have increased drastically this past week, so it’ll be interesting to see the numbers shoot up.

41 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Can’t trust the Chinese stats so I’ve been paying attention to the cases outside of China. Decent number of those cases classified as “recovered”. Just 2 or 3 deaths, not very many listed as critical or serious. I don’t understand how this is so deadly in China and (seemingly) not all that much more serious than the regular flu outside China. 

And those deaths were actual Chinese folks I believe.  Read the post Quoted at the top of this page from @Newdoc - it’s hitting Chinese hard because of those receptor things.  Plus the amount of smoking they do, and the polluted air is making it hard as hell in the elderly folks over there.  

That, and we can provide intensive care outside of China.  In Wuhan, you’re getting a bed, and if you’re lucky, an IV.  

42 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I have a feeling the isolation of those sick is both limiting the spread to regions outside of Hubei but is also magnifying exposure of those with and around the isolated.  

in other words, the Chinese government‘a efforts to limit the spread is also going to end up exacerbating how bad it is in that particular province/city 

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And those deaths were actual Chinese folks I believe.  Read the post Quoted at the top of this page from @Newdoc - it’s hitting Chinese hard because of those receptor things.  Plus the amount of smoking they do, and the polluted air is making it hard as hell in the elderly folks over there.  

That, and we can provide intensive care outside of China.  In Wuhan, you’re getting a bed, and if you’re lucky, an IV.  

The care factor likely matters.  They are overwhelmed and so instead of getting top level care if you are sick or very sick they have gone beyond their capacity to deal with it.

Other countries are better, but could have the same issue if the system gets over loaded.   In the US what is the standard hospital/medical facility occupancy level?  If we say with standard issues we are at 75% capacity (made up number) even here if we get a huge surge in patient needs our ability to handle it would be taxed or insufficient.  Normally the state or federal government would act to send additional help and items, but how do you surge if it is an issue everywhere?

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

You will need to get Newdoc to clarify what he wrote. Angiotensin II receptors have been very well studied. However, they are not the only receptors that coronaviruses use to enter the cell. Nonetheless, it would not be surprising to find that certain races could be more susceptible to this virus than other races. Angiotensin II receptor numbers or subtypes differ by race and our ability to fight infection from coronaviruses may differ by age and race. However, I don't think any studies have been conducted that indicate Asians will have either a higher incidence, morbidity, or mortality rate compared to other races.

5 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Who else is excited about the 2020 Olympics?  

I've been saying this for a while, but the Olympics might be fucked. Japan has months before the athletes are supposed to arrive. The problem is the millions of Chinese people who are expected to visit Japan to see the Olympics. Just a huge oubtreak situation. 

I would be surprised if they still happen, and if they do, maybe Chinese citizens aren't allowed to come. 

Question - if you were in Wuhan - locked in your home, potentially going to be sick and potentially home bound/martial law for an indefinite period of time - what is your list of 10 items you want?

1. Netflix subscription
2. Surly access
3. Asthma inhalers?
4. Ginger ale
5. Year’s supply Ramen?
6. ?

3 minutes ago, Xian said:

Judging by pictures most of Wuhan look to be crappy communist style tenant blocks. I wonder how their air System works?  If it’s shared between apartments that might be how it is spreading so fast even when  under quarantine.    One person gets it in the building and everyone is fucked 

Was thinking the same thing. Add to it the factories, schools. And why not take cruise ships and make them quarantine locations? Saw this article and I think China knows this is only going to get worse. 

A dedicated permanent military unit, big-city epidemic evacuation zones and a central information exchange platform were suggested by Chinese experts as they sought to learn and share the key lessons from the ongoing coronavirus crisis.

The central government should order the setting up of epidemic evacuation zones equipped with hospitals, nursing facilities and medical equipment warehouses in cities with populations of more than 10 million and operate the zones on a regular basis in advance, Liu Zhiqin, a research fellow at the Chongyang Institute for Financial Studies of Renmin University of China in Beijing, told the Global Times on Sunday.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1178966.shtml#.XkBSOvVYKLY.twitter

1 hour ago, CoTex said:

Question - if you were in Wuhan - locked in your home, potentially going to be sick and potentially home bound/martial law for an indefinite period of time - what is your list of 10 items you want?

1. Netflix subscription
2. Surly access
3. Asthma inhalers?
4. Ginger ale
5. Year’s supply Ramen?
6. ?

How are pussy and alcohol not in your top 5?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

And keep in mind the basic flu kills 500,000+ a year worldwide  as well. 

Edited by EuroHorn

2 hours ago, CoTex said:

1. Netflix subscription
2. Surly access
3. Asthma inhalers?
4. Ginger ale
5. Year’s supply Ramen?

I have been thinking about this since I may need to quarantine sometime in the near future.

There are 284 people under observation here and over 200 are awaiting test results. There are 36 in Central Luzon where I am and they are bringing Filipino Hubei evacuees to New Clark City to stay in the athletes village there under quarantine.

I am expecting to hear about cases of local transmission in perhaps a week, but I hope I am wrong.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away