Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

7 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

To reiterate a statement from above. Peer Reviews don't mean shit.

What do peer reviewers do?  Mostly they ask themselves: 

A) Does this paper seem plausible?

B) Does this paper use the right terminology?

C) Does this paper agree with my biases?  

That's basically it.  Peer Reviewers do NOT reproduce the work and they almost never check the math.

Does the peer review process filter off completely bogus papers. Yes.      Does it filter off bad science?  No.   Does it give an indication of the correctness of accepted papers? No.

peer reviewers act as the gatekeepers for publication.  it's an essential first step to meeting good scientific standards.  does it confirm an article's assertions based on their research?  no, but it tells you right away if there's anything glaringly wrong with it.  

8 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I wonder if he was planning on telling the truth about things?

53 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yep, they are in trouble. I anticipate some fun videos the next few weeks. 

So can we talk economic impact now or keep thinking Bejing has any control over this outbreak. 

wait until people find out the book keeping for their stock market listed companies is less transparent than their government is with a potential disease pandemic

55 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yep, they are in trouble. I anticipate some fun videos the next few weeks. 

So can we talk economic impact now or keep thinking Bejing has any control over this outbreak. 

Super Martial Law, massive increase in deaths and cases, Foxconn shooting down stories that they were ramping  up big time.

And now purging major officials.   

Get some popcorn.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ButtFumble said:

I wonder if he was planning on telling the truth about things?

In times of crisis totalitarian governments are known to eat their own. He was replaced by a Yes Man. Wonder if a new HK crackdown is in the works to change internal perception+add fear. And agree about their economic numbers. 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m surprised they haven’t shut the power off to try to minimize battery charge for devices that can record video and/or communicate with the outside world. 

Would create too many problems, and would get people in the streets.  

Far easier to just kill the internet connections.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Would create too many problems, and would get people in the streets.  

Far easier to just kill the internet connections.

Two things to consider.

The fear videos getting out may shock us, but they would have a different impact internally. 

Cut the web then central office cannot get its message out. That is what I expect. A massive media blitz of its all good, nothing to see. Please go back to your home/dorm/locked room and let us handle it. For instance. OK, French Press (respected) and via Yahoo (um, not really) but if half is true the people are changing how they see the outside. 

Edited by InkaUtexas

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

as opposed to what?  “Let me out of my house because I’m so important that you have to let me spread coronavirus however I see fit?”

Agree, or the State can be open, treat people not like criminals, call in international experts, work with them. And if the situation is so bad outside of the epicenter, perhaps it is worse elsewhere. 

I think most Americans and Europeans would go into a government run center. Seems like a lot of Chinese do not want to. 

Just now, futureman said:

I mean, they’re trying to stifle a potential pandemic here.  some of their methods are going to ruffle some feathers.  and chinamen aren’t stupid; they have experts working on it. 

Not disagreeing, shitty situation, but they could have handled it earlier. the DRC with international support is slowing the ebola outbreak. In a war zone. With famine. But yeah, China. Assigning (or reassigning) their Top Men. This is SARS 2.0 with worse numbers of infected.  

Just think they are going to let Wuhan take the hit, cremate the dead, and move on with their style. Either way I still think this started earlier, they lied and hid evidence, and would not work with the international community. 

46 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

peer reviewers act as the gatekeepers for publication.  it's an essential first step to meeting good scientific standards.  does it confirm an article's assertions based on their research?  no, but it tells you right away if there's anything glaringly wrong with it.  

You have to wonder how much value it really adds.

47 of 53 cancer studies cannot be replicated. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-science-cancer/in-cancer-science-many-discoveries-dont-hold-up-idUSBRE82R12P20120328

Only 14 of 67, or 21%, of published, peer reviewed studies can be replicated. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-science-cancer/in-cancer-science-many-discoveries-dont-hold-up-idUSBRE82R12P20120328 

Around these parts, lots of people will say that some study showed their preferred postion is correct so suck it libtard or whatever. I just laugh. That's not how it works. 

The attempt to develop a lab test for COVID19 is interesting. To evaluate your lab test, you must have a gold standard to compare to. You need to know the actual DNA sequence. But they don't even know if there is a single strain, or multiple. And even if they have a gold standard to compare to, evaluating their lab test takes months long experimentation, not just some overnight guess based on gut feel. Science is about data, not hurried press conferences. In a crisis, a 60% solution becomes a 99% solution. The media thinks science is just magic, and it doesnt' work that way.

9 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

You have to wonder how much value it really adds.

47 of 53 cancer studies cannot be replicated. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-science-cancer/in-cancer-science-many-discoveries-dont-hold-up-idUSBRE82R12P20120328

Only 14 of 67, or 21%, of published, peer reviewed studies can be replicated. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-science-cancer/in-cancer-science-many-discoveries-dont-hold-up-idUSBRE82R12P20120328 

Around these parts, lots of people will say that some study showed their preferred postion is correct so suck it libtard or whatever. I just laugh. That's not how it works. 

The attempt to develop a lab test for COVID19 is interesting. To evaluate your lab test, you must have a gold standard to compare to. You need to know the actual DNA sequence. But they don't even know if there is a single strain, or multiple. And even if they have a gold standard to compare to, evaluating their lab test takes months long experimentation, not just some overnight guess based on gut feel. Science is about data, not hurried press conferences. In a crisis, a 60% solution becomes a 99% solution. The media thinks science is just magic, and it doesnt' work that way.

the irony of calling one group out for saying "supports my position so suck it" while ignoring the reality that the horrible peer review replication numbers are for research that comes, with high likelihood, from a  group of people that on the whole would be the ones being told to "suck it" (and with good reason when you see those shitty replication numbers

27 minutes ago, Bevo said:

A woman in her 80s infected with the new coronavirus has died in Kanagawa Prefecture, next to Tokyo. It's the first death of a person infected with the virus in Japan. Second death outside China and Hong Kong.

worst marketing idea since new coke....at least new coke did not kill people (probably a few careers though)

So China's dear leader (Xi Jinping) tells his underlings that the lockdown plan for containing the virus is too aggressive and hurting their economy.  Essentially, Randolph Duke telling the stock exchange to turn those machines back on.  China lets people go back to work only to quarantine the people at the job site instead of in their homes - so they can continue working and being productive.  That's some hard core shit.

~~~

One thing this event has demonstrated is that China's surveillance state is so dominant/scary that in a nation where around 75 million people are in lockdown, there is almost zero social media activity that defies official decree.  I saw a news report that China has developed an app which informs their citizens of their risk of exposure to the virus.  It basically pulls from their surveillance database(s) on the movement/travel history of known infected to warn people that have been in proximity.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51439401

Im don't want to spread rumors, but I had a friendly convo with a friends husband about this for about 20min the other day and according to him this shit looks epic. He was saying its still mutating and becoming even more contagious in places. There are some reports he heard of this being caught by people in full hazmat and in sealed rooms seemingly thru solid walls. 

1 minute ago, Doc Reeves said:

Im don't want to spread rumors, but I had a friendly convo with a friends husband about this for about 20min the other day and according to him this shit looks epic. He was saying its still mutating and becoming even more contagious in places. There are some reports he heard of this being caught by people in full hazmat and in sealed rooms seemingly thru solid walls. 

There are no magic viruses. Yes, it is very contagious and yes, it appears that there is a high probability that it will become a worldwide pandemic. But, it will not travel through walls nor will it infect people using the appropriate PPE.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

There are no magic viruses. Yes, it is very contagious and yes, it appears that there is a high probability that it will become a worldwide pandemic. But, it will not travel through walls nor will it infect people using the appropriate PPE.

the conversation was more how mysterious this thing still is and plans to fight it may have to be extreme

5 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Lol. Yeah I’m sure it can apparate through solid material. Your friend sounds like a dumbass.

3 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Pangolin, imo.  It’s basically a rat blanketed in a protective coat of toenails.

Fine, let's add pangolin and cheese appetizers and maybe a nice bottle of vintage chianti to wash it all down. Only the best for our lovely neighbors.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away