Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

200.gif

Nah, the guy is pretty well connected and in the middle of this shit here in SA. He said those rumors in passing as an example of how this thing is reaching 'mythic' levels in China and also an example of the info the Chinese leadership is getting. Might be a reason for the "bring out your dead" strategy they are employing.

Serious question.

I don't have coronavirus, and I haven't traveled out of North Dakota since Christmas. But folks are very sensitive to the risk, of course. If they're around a person hacking and coughing, I'm sure they'll get a bit squirrely.

I've had this cold since Sunday. At what point will I no longer be contagious? I'll be drippy and sniffly for another week probably, but not contagious. Correct?

3 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Why in the absolute fuck did they fly these infected fucks straight into the middle of population centers. Why not the middle of nevada or some other desolate location? It seems intentional /noAlexJones

Mess up the economy before the election? 
🤷🏽‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Flying Air Canada today - slight delay, puts my connecting flight at risk. Tried to call customer service number - due to the cascade of issues relating to all the cancellations to and from China, the message when you call is “yeah...we’re not taking calls right now. At all.”

Wow! Only brisket could post while dead.

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Holy shit, that government press release sounds kinda bad.

• The district of Zhangwan in Shiyan city, Hubei province will be applying martial law measures for at least the next 14 days.
  • All residential buildings will be enclosed and no civilians will be permitted to leave their residence.
  • All vehicles except medical, police, firefighting, rescue, cargo and the ones owned by governmental officials and medical personnel will not be allowed on the road.
  • Anyone attempting to leave their residence will be arrested.
  • Basic living needs, such as food, will be rationed and delivered to residents by the local government.
  • This will take effect on February 12 at 24:00 local time, and will be in effect for a minimum of 14 days. The period of control can be extended if the situation continue to develop.

Curious that if this hits Hong Kong enough, will China implement martial law there? 

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Flying Air Canada today - slight delay, puts my connecting flight at risk. Tried to call customer service number - due to the cascade of issues relating to all the cancellations to and from China, the message when you call is “yeah...we’re not taking calls right now. At all.”

Air Canada, eh? I do believe you are telling us a story. No Canadian could utter those words without an apology in there somewhere.

33 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Why in the absolute fuck did they fly these infected fucks straight into the middle of population centers. Why not the middle of nevada or some other desolate location? It seems intentional /noAlexJones

Well they weren’t infected as far as anyone knew, just at risk of infection. But they planned for this. I’m not worried at all about the quarantined evacuees. Way more worried about the thousands across the country under “self-quarantine” because they recently traveled to china. 

12 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Well they weren’t infected as far as anyone knew, just at risk of infection. But they planned for this. I’m not worried at all about the quarantined evacuees. Way more worried about the thousands across the country under “self-quarantine” because they recently traveled to china. 

And you know at least one of them ordered Dominos. 

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

masks are priced the same, but damn check out the shipping costs! How is that not price gauging? 

It is.  And it makes me pretty ragey.  My wife is in the medical field and so are a large number of our friends.  They are already having trouble keeping up their stock and are worried about needing to close if they can't re-stock.  I'm sure their patients will appreciate not being seen because some numbnuts has a box of 50 surgical masks that he'll never have to use.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

It is.  And it makes me pretty ragey.  My wife is in the medical field and so are a large number of our friends.  They are already having trouble keeping up their stock and are worried about needing to close if they can't re-stock.  I'm sure their patients will appreciate not being seen because some numbnuts has a box of 50 surgical masks that he'll never have to use.

Agree. We keep them for our FEMA and USAID work and have never needed them. I see teams using them in the field since they look cool hanging on their necks. 

4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Because Lackland is a large, self-contained facility that is used to hosting thousands of people at a time in fairly spartan (easy to contain/clean) facilities isolated from the outside world while they go through basic training   

Although, when I went through basic training (Army), holy fuck did I catch everything under the sun.  I wasn’t that sick again until many years later, when my oldest kid started school, and was bringing everything home.   

But I’m assuming the Air Force has better facilities.

Honestly, I’d rather they do that rather than dumping them in civilian hotels.   

23 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

How has Africa been skipped by this thing? There's something like a million Chinese in Africa building massive infrastructure projects. Are they all poor Chinese workers who didn't get to go home for Christmas/New Years?  When this story broke, I guessed that they'd get hit early and hard due to their limited ability to contain and treat.

Also, southern hemisphere so it is summer time with warmer weather, making it harder for the virus to take hold.

On 2/7/2020 at 11:02 AM, Somnio said:

21 January

Total at the end of the day: 329 cases, 6 deaths

7 February

There are currently 31,532 confirmed cases worldwide, including 639 fatalities.

13 February

There are currently 60,390 confirmed cases worldwide, including 1,370 fatalities.

Don't do this.  Medical professionals actually need those and they are already in short supply.  

As do actual sick people. Earlier this week, found out one of the kids had strep, and another one had strep AND the flu. Went to pick up their meds and wanted to grab a few masks to keep them from coughing all over the place and getting the baby sick. Pharmacist snorted in disgust/sympathy when I asked if they had any. Nope! They can’t keep em in stock
  • Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away