Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

44 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Can somebody give me a synopsis of what’s happened with that cruise ship “Diamond Princess”? Somebody went down with the coronavirus in the ship, and they said “no are not allowing anybody to get off the boat”, and now over 500 people have it?

They haven’t even tested half the ship yet.  

15 minutes ago, bernorange said:

I went to my local Costco over the weekend.  As I waited my turn for checkout, I noticed the cashier cleaning something near the credit card payment machine.  When it was my turn, I got a better look and the whole area there was wet.  I asked the cashier if something (like a bottle of soda or vat of soup) had exploded or something?  No, she said, she just sanitizes her station really, really well.  Her co-worker helping on the line gave me that "she's cray!" look and nodded. 

/csb

She’s not crazy, just prudent.

I’m one of those oldfarts who uses wipes to clean the handlebars on the grocery/Costco carts, and I wash my hands when we get home. Also use a handiwipe after pumping gas at the local station, and never grub my hands all over the rails on escalators. 
That’s a result of observing other people’s habits in public places..... and I rarely catch a cold. Last one was three years ago.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wuhan building a 3,000 bed hospital by next Tuesday.   Nothingtoseehere.gif

More fatal to men than women

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/18/coronavirus-is-more-fatal-in-men-than-women-major-study-suggests.html

Maybe they'll finally get back closer to a 50/50 ratio of men & women...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Link found at the hive of scum and villainy that is Reddit (they did a flip and China_Flu is the place for Crazy to gather): 

http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/event201/recommendations.html

It's a proposed pandemic playbook. I mean, #2, 5, and 6 really do emphasize downplaying concerns and prioritizing the economy. And (through paranoid eyes) #7 discusses how to juke public perception. 

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

I went to my local Costco over the weekend.  As I waited my turn for checkout, I noticed the cashier cleaning something near the credit card payment machine.  When it was my turn, I got a better look and the whole area there was wet.  I asked the cashier if something (like a bottle of soda or vat of soup) had exploded or something?  No, she said, she just sanitizes her station really, really well.  Her co-worker helping on the line gave me that "she's cray!" look and nodded. 

/csb

might be a Costco thing.  My Korean co-worker was in Costco 2 weekends ago with her parents looking at cell phone plans.  She said the guy helping them must have thought they were Chinese because he was basically bathing his hands with hand sanitizer every 2-3 minutes while talking with them.  She said he must have applied it maybe 5 times while they were making the transaction.

Interesting stats:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Also:

Pre-existing medical conditions

Patients who reported no pre-existing ("comorbid") medical conditions had a case fatality rate of 0.9%. Pre-existing illnesses that put patients at higher risk of dying from a COVID-19 infection are:

13 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Interesting stats:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Also:

Pre-existing medical conditions

Patients who reported no pre-existing ("comorbid") medical conditions had a case fatality rate of 0.9%. Pre-existing illnesses that put patients at higher risk of dying from a COVID-19 infection are:

They are still using the Wuhan numbers when making calculations. That is a mistake as they are an outlier and the city has a lot more deaths per diagnosed illness.

So has there been any more news about the 14 'asymptomatic' Americans that were on the cruise ship and now in quarantine in the US?   If most remain asymptomatic, that seems to be a pretty positive sign for the overall impact even if it does spread here.  But if those people were asymptomatic 2-3 days after testing positive for the virus, and most end up getting symptoms days later, it seems to imply it will be pretty damn hard to stop the spread.

1 hour ago, gyroprotagonist said:

might be a Costco thing.  My Korean co-worker was in Costco 2 weekends ago with her parents looking at cell phone plans.  She said the guy helping them must have thought they were Chinese because he was basically bathing his hands with hand sanitizer every 2-3 minutes while talking with them.  She said he must have applied it maybe 5 times while they were making the transaction.

Dumbasses are probably just washing their hands after speaking with Asians.

9 minutes ago, Skipper said:

So has there been any more news about the 14 'asymptomatic' Americans that were on the cruise ship and now in quarantine in the US?   If most remain asymptomatic, that seems to be a pretty positive sign for the overall impact even if it does spread here.  But if those people were asymptomatic 2-3 days after testing positive for the virus, and most end up getting symptoms days later, it seems to imply it will be pretty damn hard to stop the spread.

All I saw is they were taken to Nebraska. Both planes flew there, but that to me means they divided up the sick bastards onto two flights vs. just one. 

1 hour ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Now that’s crazy.

I’ve been doing this since the 80’s. Jk.

23 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Wait, you DON'T?  RIP.

No, I'm an equal opportunity germophobe. But, one of the keys to hygiene is to keep your hands away from your face. See how many times throughout the day you put your hands on your face. Fuck, now my nose itches.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Pretty good take on the situation from one of the evacuees. 

“Those are fellow Americans of ours, they deserve to come home,” Arana added, referring to her fellow passengers who had contracted COVID-19.

Spoiler

A California woman who was evacuated on a US-chartered jet from the coronavirus-stricken Diamond Princess cruise ship said she didn’t know until after landing that others on her plane had tested positive for the bug, according to new reports.

Sara Arana, a social worker from Paso Robles, was among the 300 US citizens allowed off the ship, docked off the Japanese port city of Yokohama, on Sunday and flown back to America on two chartered Boeing 747s, the San Luis Obispo Tribune reported.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/18/woman-taken-from-diamond-princess-did-not-know-other-evacuees-had-coronavirus/

Also actual update on the 14 and their treatment. Everything I saw before was they all went to Nebraska. 

Spoiler

Seven of those patients arrived at Travis Air Force Base in California — and four of them were taken to health care facilities near the base, Dr. William Walters of the Department of State’s Bureau of Medical Services told CNN.

The other three, along with their spouses, are being treated at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, Walters said.

The seven other afflicted passengers, who initially arrived at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas, are also being treated there, according to Walters.

8 hours ago, Armybrat said:

She’s not crazy, just prudent.

I’m one of those oldfarts who uses wipes to clean the handlebars on the grocery/Costco carts, and I wash my hands when we get home. Also use a handiwipe after pumping gas at the local station, and never grub my hands all over the rails on escalators. 
That’s a result of observing other people’s habits in public places..... and I rarely catch a cold. Last one was three years ago.

Two crazies don't = normal (or prudent).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, XYZ said:

So what’s the current best estimate of the mortality rate? Still 2-5%?

Barely at 1/2 a percent for the 15 thousand cases outside of hubei. Still only at 2.5% including hubei. I bet we end up under 1% when all is said and done. 

what's the thinking for why the mortality rate in hubei is so much higher than the rest of the world?  initially i was thinking it was because they didn't initially what they were dealing with so they couldn't provide proper care, but that idea's disproved since the mortality rate's been the same in hubei ever since they've started throwing more resources at the problem.  pollution and air particulates adding to the problem?  but hubei's not any more polluted than other parts of china.  

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

what's the thinking for why the mortality rate in hubei is so much higher than the rest of the world?  initially i was thinking it was because they didn't initially what they were dealing with so they couldn't provide proper care, but that idea's disproved since the mortality rate's been the same in hubei ever since they've started throwing more resources at the problem.  pollution and air particulates adding to the problem?  but hubei's not any more polluted than other parts of china.  

I think it’s a combo of a lot of factors:  pollution/air, the quick shutdown of the city prior to having the infrastructure in place to do anything about it (led to families being contained together which drastically increased the transmission rate, and thus the mortality rate), and being in one of the more industrial centers (factories tend to be Petri dishes).  

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wuhan building a 3,000 bed hospital by next Tuesday.   Nothingtoseehere.gif

More fatal to men than women

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/18/coronavirus-is-more-fatal-in-men-than-women-major-study-suggests.html

Many Chinese men smoke whereas few Chinese women do.

12 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

This can be best explained if the actual number of infected in Hubei is higher than being reported. Local healthcare is overwhelmed so lots of people with milder symptoms won't get tested.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I think it’s a combo of a lot of factors:  pollution/air, the quick shutdown of the city prior to having the infrastructure in place to do anything about it (led to families being contained together which drastically increased the transmission rate, and thus the mortality rate), and being in one of the more industrial centers (factories tend to be Petri dishes).  

but simply having a greater # infected wouldn't cause the mortality rate to increase or decrease.  it's a percentage so the percentage should stay the same unless there's an extenuating factor.  

40 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Add a 0 to the infected number coming out of Hubei, and the mortality rate seems more in-line with the rest of the world.  

• Like 2

I tried to find the average recovery time for this thing and can't get a clean answer out of google.

I've had the flu before, as have a lot of people, and it seems like most people recover from it in about 7 days. Webmd.com says most people take 5-10 days.  

We don't seem to be seeing the same recovery duration with Covid-19.   Are they waiting some extra long period after you've recovered to officially declare you better?    

In the US, on Jan-23rd we had 1 case, Jan-27th there were 5, on Feb-3 there were 11 cases.  As of Feb-18 there are 15 cases with only 3 recovered. It's been 26 days since the first case, 22 days since we had the five cases, and 15 days since we had only 11 sick.  I would have expected most of the first 11 to have recovered by now.

Based on rough numbers from the western world, it seems like the recovery time is longer than 3 weeks.  That would seem to make it much more impactful than the flu.

9 hours ago, Updawg said:

Less resources to treat infected? Lack of food weakenng them?

There aren't enough hospital beds and seriously sick patients are turned away...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51541801

The film director: Chang Kai

Chang Kai, a director at Hubei Film Studios, died from the virus along with his father, mother and sister.

A note, reportedly written by him and passed around by a friend, revealed the ordeal the 55-year-old had to go through before his death.

According to the note, which was published in full by news site Caixin, his father had come down with a fever, cough and had difficulty breathing.

"He was taken to many hospitals for treatment, but [was] told no beds [were] available," said the note. "[We were] extremely disappointed... [and] went home."

A few days later his father died, followed afterwards by his mother, who was "physically and mentally exhausted".

"The ruthless virus also devoured my wife and my body. I went to various hospitals and begged [to be admitted]. Beds were hard to find... we are nobody," he said in his note. "We missed the opportunity for healing and my breath was weak."

Chang Kai and his wife were later admitted to hospital, but according to local reports, his condition had deteriorated too much.

• Like 1

I’ve been following the news in South America because I’m from there, and the media hasn’t been paying much attention to this. And I’m gonna go ahead and guess that hospitals haven’t been preparing at all. So when the coronavirus gets there, and it will, it will be a clusterfuck, because there’s no other way that South Americans can have it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Yep, the horse is out of the barn.

I was curious if Trump was saying anything, since he likes to talk if people tell him something, and it seems like DHS/CDC would be making a priority out of his.  While he’s tweeted and retweeted around 20 times in less than half an hour, none of them were about the virus.

But I did learn that the Chinese have a large presence in Afghanistan.   So yeah, it’s probably there.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away