Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

I don’t understand this “cruise ship quarantine”. I read that the quarantine is over, but wouldn’t the quarantine period have to start over with each new infection. They are getting more people infected every day.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Per CNBC, Chinese authorities now identifying potential exposures via combing peoples medical purchase history (at retail POS and online purchases). 

Don’t know what good it will do - they don’t have enough hospital beds.  And they should have thought of a lot of his before millions fled Wuhan.  

7 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Its not the virus per se that you have to worry about

its the stressed healthcare/supply chain/shut down of the country that youll have to be concerned with

Agree. I do not worry about this in nations with solid health care systems, but as others have stated, is Africa even testing? I have an associate in Kenya and he was telling me the flu is rampant, yet few can afford to go see a doctor. Refugee camps? Gaza? They are fucked if this gets into their society. 

32 minutes ago, XYZ said:

I don’t understand this “cruise ship quarantine”. I read that the quarantine is over, but wouldn’t the quarantine period have to start over with each new infection. They are getting more people infected every day.

yeah, don't under stand the logic either. It is not like it was Patient Zero and 14 days later you either have it or you don't. 

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Add a 0 to the infected number coming out of Hubei, and the mortality rate seems more in-line with the rest of the world.  

At least one 0. Hell, they haven't even been able to test everyone on the various cruise ships. If they can't test ~1,000 confined to a single space, there's no way they're able to effectively test everyone in a city of 11+ million.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

At least one 0. Hell, they haven't even been able to test everyone on the various cruise ships. If they can't test ~1,000 confined to a single space, there's no way they're able to effectively test everyone in a city of 11+ million.

spacer.png

Did the cruise ship quarantine actually end? I thought they just evacuated people from the U.S. and certain other countries to continue their quarantines back home.

Looks like if you tested negative and were on board for 14 days you can walk. UK and US told people they cannot come home until right away. 

YOKOHAMA, Japan (AP) — About 500 passengers left the cruise ship Diamond Princess on Wednesday at the end of a much-criticized two-week quarantine aboard the vessel, docked in Japan, that failed to stop the spread of the new virus among passengers and crew. 

The quarantine’s flop was underlined as authorities announced 79 more cases, bringing the total on the ship to 621. Results were still pending for some other passengers and crew among the original 3,711 people on board.

Health Minister Katsunobu Kato said initially on Wednesday that those disembarking with negative virus tests have fulfilled the Japanese quarantine requirement and are free to walk out and go home on public transportation. He said passengers were only asked to watch their health carefully for a few days and notify local health authorities if they have any symptoms or worries.

https://apnews.com/c831631e03c18f84f3c9392f13ea1b80

From Wednesday, passengers who tested negative and showed no symptoms were free to leave. Around 500 were expected to disembark on Wednesday, with the rest of those eligible leaving over the next two days. Confirmed cases were to be sent to hospital, while those who shared cabins with infected passengers may still be kept on board. 

Around half of the passengers and crew are Japanese, and are free to go home once cleared to leave. Other countries have said they will fly passengers home and quarantine them on arrival. The United States flew more than 300 passengers to air bases in California and Texas this week.

and being reported the two in Iran died. 

DUBAI (Reuters) - Two Iranians have died in hospital after testing positive for the new coronavirus in the holy Shi’ite city of Qom, the head of the city’s University of Medical Sciences told Mehr news agency on Wednesday. 

“Two Iranians, who tested positive earlier today for new coronavirus, died of respiratory illness,” the official told Mehr.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/china-deploys-40-incinerators-wuhan-21529067

China deploys 40 incinerators to Wuhan amid fears of coronavirus death toll 'cover up'

Chinese media reports that the mobile furnaces – used for burning animal carcasses and medical waste – have been shipped to the centre of the Covid-19 outbreak

On 1/24/2020 at 8:25 AM, RollLeft said:
  • This corona-virus is sensitive to heat. 30 minutes in 56 C (that is 130F) environment will kill it effectively

Our cells start to die around 41°C (106°F) to 45°C (113°F) but we can survive much higher air temperatures: a healthy person could make a day trip to Death Valley on one of its hottest days-- 55°C (131°F)-- and, so long as he avoided dehydration, would probably not die.

What are we waiting for?

Wisconsin%20Oven%20Walk%20In%20Oven%2030

As i was saying....

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I was curious if Trump was saying anything, since he likes to talk if people tell him something, and it seems like DHS/CDC would be making a priority out of his.  While he’s tweeted and retweeted around 20 times in less than half an hour, none of them were about the virus.

But I did learn that the Chinese have a large presence in Afghanistan.   So yeah, it’s probably there.  

Edit:  Also relevant:

• Trump released his proposed 2021 budget Monday, which included a 16% cut to the CDC’s budget and a 10% overall reduction to the Department of Health and Human Services’ funding, according to the Washington Post.
  • The U.S. contributes about 2.5% of the World Health Organization’s overall $4.8 billion budget, and Trump’s proposal calls for a $65 million cut to the group; if enacted, the U.S.’ contribution would be reduced by over 40%. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2020/02/11/trump-proposes-16-cut-to-cdc-as-global-number-of-coronavirus-infections-and-deaths-rise/#7733e75118da

Edited by Goredho

6 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

If I was I tin foil hat person, I'd probably say they were burning Corona victims with those.

LOL. I think they are for the massive amounts of medical waste. If you have seen the videos of what the health care workers wear at once it is tremendous. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

DUBAI (Reuters) - Two Iranians have died in hospital after testing positive for the new coronavirus in the holy Shi’ite city of Qom, the head of the city’s University of Medical Sciences told Mehr news agency on Wednesday. 

“Two Iranians, who tested positive earlier today for new coronavirus, died of respiratory illness,” the official told Mehr.

You can say that again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Holy shi’ite!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

It seems weird that they were just diagnosed and now have died. I wonder if they had MERS and not COVID-19. I don't know how specific the tests is.

Or just got real sick and then finally went to the doctor. I don't expect much coming more to come out from Iran on this. 

From Gulf News. LOL @ Iranian Isolation in Qoms. 

Spoiler

State news agency IRNA quoted Kianoush Jahanpour, a ministry spokesman, as saying the virus was detected in two elderly people with immunity problems.

Iran's health ministry spokesman Kianush Jahanpur confirmed their death on Twitter.

Iran confirmed earlier on Wednesday its first two cases of the virus, government spokesman Ali Rabiei said, shortly after reports that preliminary tests on the two had come back positive.

The health ministry said earlier that the patients had been put in isolation.

Rabiei did not give the nationality of the two people infected, but some reports suggested that they were Iranian nationals.

Edited by InkaUtexas

https://news.yahoo.com/scientists-announce-breakthrough-atomic-map-coronavirus-180404127.html

The team from the University of Texas at Austin and the National Institutes of Health (NIH) first studied the genetic code of the virus made publicly available by Chinese researchers, and used it to develop a stabilized sample of a key part called the spike protein.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TexasGolf said:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/china-deploys-40-incinerators-wuhan-21529067

China deploys 40 incinerators to Wuhan amid fears of coronavirus death toll 'cover up'

Chinese media reports that the mobile furnaces – used for burning animal carcasses and medical waste – have been shipped to the centre of the Covid-19 outbreak

It's kinda scary to think China has mobile incinerators ready to deploy, given what they've been doing with the Uighur concentration re-education camps. How long until they announce that some of those camps have coronavirus and need to be eliminated for the sake of public safety? Or I suppose they would attempt to quietly do it without anyone noticing.

• Like 1

According to CNN, the Chinese CDC calculates the fatality rate at 2.3%.  That’s lower than SARS and MERS, but two orders of magnitude higher than the 2020 flu strains (at around 0.1%).  

That fatality rate, coupled with the apparently high transmissibility of coronavirus, could explain China’s extreme response.  Flu is a significant killer on an annual basis.  Now multiply the number of typical annual flu deaths by 200, and you’ll understand our concern, Dude.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

According to CNN, the Chinese CDC calculates the fatality rate at 2.3%.  That’s lower than SARS and MERS, but two orders of magnitude higher than the 2020 flu strains (at around 0.1%).  

That fatality rate, coupled with the apparently high transmissibility of coronavirus, could explain China’s extreme response.  Flu is a significant killer on an annual basis.  Now multiply the number of typical annual flu deaths by 200, and you’ll understand our concern, Dude.

So now we are back to believing China's data? I think that is crazy. Look at the fatality rate outside of China. 

• Like 1

odd over only two deaths. 

Cannot verify initial source and with all the odd shit goin going on in Iran who knows if this is an action against anti-government protest which tend to kick off on Fridays. Either way multiple sources are saying this is in Qoms. 

Edited by InkaUtexas

24 minutes ago, hornbri said:

So now we are back to believing China's data? I think that is crazy. Look at the fatality rate outside of China. 

What incentive does China have to overstate the mortality rate?  

In any event, reasons the mortality rate is higher in China have been discussed at length.  One of those is that mortality increases when the size of a local outbreak reaches a point that hospital capacity is overwhelmed.  The idea is that there’s a subset of cases that are survivable with intensive care but fatal otherwise.  Once the outbreak grows, more of the cases in that subset convert to deaths.  So you can’t just extrapolate from data on isolated cases.  

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

What incentive does China have to overstate the mortality rate?  

In any event, reasons the mortality rate is higher in China have been discussed at length.  One of those is that mortality increases when the size of a local outbreak reaches a point that hospital capacity is overwhelmed.  The idea is that there’s a subset of cases that are survivable with intensive care but fatal otherwise.  Once the outbreak grows, more of the cases in that subset convert to deaths.  So you can’t just extrapolate from data on isolated cases.  

Only the very sick are going to the hospital in Wuhan. Many of the people with moderate symptoms aren't going to the hospital and aren't getting counted. So, instead of 59,989 cases and 1,790 deaths for a mortality rate of 2.98% assume that the number of cases in Wuhan are 599,890 cases and 1,790 deaths for a mortality rate of 0.298.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Only the very sick are going to the hospital in Wuhan. Many of the people with moderate symptoms aren't going to the hospital and aren't getting counted. So, instead of 59,989 cases and 1,790 deaths for a mortality rate of 2.98% assume that the number of cases in Wuhan are 599,890 cases and 1,790 deaths for a mortality rate of 0.298.

That is also possible.  But you’re still looking at a mortality rate of 20x this year’s flu.  

1 hour ago, hornbri said:

Create panic and fear so they can more easily control their people?

That doesn’t add up.  China’s politicians care about one thing above all else: GDP growth.  Panic threatens that metric.  If anything, China is working overtime to prevent panic.  They’re arresting whistleblowers and expelling foreign reporters.  

China might be undercounting the number of infected due to lack of bandwidth or visibility, but their incentives are aligned against purposefully overstating the mortality.

Just now, BrickHorn said:

That doesn’t add up.  China’s politicians care about one thing above all else: GDP growth.  Panic threatens that metric.  If anything, China is working overtime to prevent panic.  They’re arresting whistleblowers and expelling foreign reporters.  

China might be undercounting the number of infected due to lack of bandwidth or visibility, but their incentives are aligned against purposefully overstating the mortality.

Unless the goal is the state take over all the capitalist pig ventures they allowed in. Good old strategy of allow investment, have a problem, nationalize. Appoint your family and friends to run it. Win win for the party.

I kid, I kid. 

32 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

That is also possible.  But you’re still looking at a mortality rate of 20x this year’s flu.  

Yeah, and it wouldn't surprise me if the mortality rate jumped to 1%. This is a novel virus to which humans haven't been exposed. The immune system isn't prepared for it like we are prepared for the flu. If this becomes an annual event like the flu, mortality rates will drop.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away