Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

46 minutes ago, bolverk said:

It's truly tragic the staggering number of people who are suffering, and the potential spread of this into that situation is...well, I'd rather not think about it.

• 400,000 Syrian civilians killed so far in the war.
  • Almost 4 million refugees have already fled to Turkey.
  • 1 million refugees are currently on the run with children dying from the cold.
  • Roughly 900,000 are right now trapped by Syrian and Russian forces in an increasingly confined space.

Spokesperson for UN's humanitarian agency: "we fear [this] may end in a bloodbath."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-syria-security/u-n-says-it-fears-bloodbath-in-northwest-syria-russia-denies-mass-displacements-idUSKBN20F1VH

Assad just got his bioweapon.  Just send some sick folks into the camp...

While the CDC has incredibly competent people, their bosses at the Department of Health and Human Services are fucking morons and politically motivated, based on how they brought those Americans from the cruise ship back to the US - they could’ve flown on their own aircraft, or better yet, left in Japan (we have plenty of military bases there).  And the Secretary of HHS is a former pharmaceutical executive and lobbyist, so I’m sure that will bite us in the ass at some point.  
If it hits Yemen, given all the Iranians there, or North Africa, this thing will go to 11.  That’s assuming it hasn’t already.   We Americans as a whole tend not to realize how well-traveled many people outside of the US are    

Travel ban. 3 weeks. Shut everything down. No more inbound outbound flights from US
  • Like 1

It's amazing to me that with all the events happening at once CNN's article about coronavirus today is "What's spreading faster than coronavirus in the US? Racist assaults and ignorant attacks against Asians".

Iran could be at the beginning of a major catastrophe,  South Korea is starting to lock down cities,  there seems to be outbreaks in North Korea. and this is your main story on COVID-19?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Colonel Sanders said:

It's amazing to me that with all the events happening at once CNN's article about coronavirus today is "What's spreading faster than coronavirus in the US? Racist assaults and ignorant attacks against Asians".

Iran could be at the beginning of a major catastrophe,  South Korea is starting to lock down cities,  there seems to be outbreaks in North Korea. and this is your main story on COVID-19?

CNN jumped the shark about 10 years ago.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Colonel Sanders said:

Italy ramping up.  No way they only have 6 cases, and all just happen to be serious.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Travel ban. 3 weeks. Shut everything down. No more inbound outbound flights from US

Too late

shoulda been done over a month ago

why they didnt do it then was fucking idiotic.. and yes, im aware of the global economy implications. But the spread and totality of this virus is/is going to be unprecedented.

22 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Given how fast this is ramping up, that’s not a bad idea.  I don’t have a lot of faith in our leadership to lock things down until it’s too late.  

Narrator: it’s too late 

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

Australians on another forum I read are pissed at their education system for helping Chinese students circumvent travel restrictions.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8023665/The-outrageous-way-Australian-university-getting-coronavirus-travel-ban.html

I don't know that the students need any help. If they are educated, it is pretty obvious that you could buy a ticket to any place in SE Asia and then book another flight from that country to Australia. I guess the only trick is that you need to lie to immigration in Australia and state that you haven't been to China in X amount of days.

I don’t think we will have a clear idea on morbidity and mortality until this thing spreads throughout an industrialized country with a reasonable public health system. But those figures can only be extrapolated to other 1st world countries. It’s going to be a crap shoot for places like the Congo, Syria, NK, etc.

And I hope we are done with flu by the time Covid spreads here. Our hospitals now run lean and can reach capacity in the blink of an eye.

Edited by Newdoc
  • Like 3

So the recovered rate has been rising fairly fast - if you add it to the deaths, and calculate the mortality rate, it’s about to drop below 10%.  I don’t think they are manipulating the recovered number, and it does take longer to recover and pass two tests 14 days apart, as opposed to, you know, dying   

The number of deaths is probably off, but then, the number of infected is probably way under-calculated.  

But, the illness itself takes a lot of resources to fight, and a long time in quarantine.  

I’m guessing the Communist leaders are starting to feel some kind of serious heat, otherwise no 19 new hospitals.   

2 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

I don’t think we will have a clear idea on morbidity and mortality until this thing spreads throughout an industrialized country with a reasonable public health system. But those figures can only be extrapolated to other 1st world countries. It’s going to be a crap shoot for places like the Congo, Syria, NK, etc.

And I hope we are done with flu by the time Covid spreads here. Our hospitals now run lean and can reach capacity in the blink of an eye.

We have almost 1,400 known international cases, and very few deaths.   That’s a good sign, but, as you mentioned, that’s with hospitals that can handle it.   

But the recent pattern seems to be a couple of serious cases, then suddenly, they’re dead. Followed by backtracking their contacts and reissuing the infections number. 

Not exactly sure what that means, but it’s a change from the first expanding cases situation. 

10 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I don't know that the students need any help. If they are educated, it is pretty obvious that you could buy a ticket to any place in SE Asia and then book another flight from that country to Australia. I guess the only trick is that you need to lie to immigration in Australia and state that you haven't been to China in X amount of days.

which a stamp in your passport is going to refute.

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

We have almost 1,400 known international cases, and very few deaths.   That’s a good sign, but, as you mentioned, that’s with hospitals that can handle it.   

For now. There isn't a whole lot the hospitals can do for now other than keep airways open and keep patients hydrated. And when the numbers of patients cause an overflow in ICUs, our mortality rates may not differ any from other first and second world countries.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

Or they don’t even know how to report it so they keep running with some number each day from a single/static source. 

Yeah obviously you can't rely on the Chinese government to tell the truth, but I think we overestimate their ability to even know the actual truth themselves.

Just now, hayden_horn said:

which a stamp in your passport is going to refute.

Yeah, unless students have multiple passports, they are going to have to stay in an intermediate country for 14 days.  At least one Australian University is offering to reimburse students $1500 (not sure if US$ or Aussie$) to pay for living expenses for that interim. 

41 minutes ago, Colonel Sanders said:

You really do like to spread misinformation, don't you. That's only one of multiple stories they have on the coronovirus. It's splashed all over their website. That said, it's a valid concern if you'd actually bother to read the story and the numerous accounts being reported.

• Like 1

https://apnews.com/52916125b486708cad26557a02ca9b7f

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — Schools were shuttered, churches told worshipers to stay away and some mass gatherings were banned as cases of a new virus swelled Friday in South Korea, the newest front in a widening global outbreak.

The country said two people have died and 204 have been infected with the virus, quadruple the number of cases it had two days earlier, as a crisis centered in China has begun strongly reverberating elsewhere.

The multiplying caseload in South Korea showed the ease with which the illness can spread. Though initial infections were linked to China, new ones have not involved international travel.

“We have entered an emergency phase,” Prime Minister Chung Se-kyun said in televised comments at the start of a government meeting on the health emergency. “Our efforts until now had been focused on blocking the illness from entering the country. But we will now shift the focus on preventing the illness from spreading further in local communities.”

Daegu, a southeastern city of 2.5 million that is the country’s fourth largest, emerged as the focus of government efforts to contain the disease known as COVID-19, and Chung promised support to ease a shortage in hospital beds, medical personnel and equipment. Mayor Kwon Young-jin of Daegu has urged residents to stay inside, even wearing masks at home, to stem further infection.

-----------

There is a bar graph that says there have been over 75,000 cases in China. I doubt that number and would go way higher against any number the Chinese government says.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wonder when WHO finally declares a pandemic.  

Basically now. It is defined as spreading from person to person to person in multiple countries. I guess for now, it has been Asia and the Middle East. If you count Italy currently, then Europe could be included. Only the Western Hemisphere and Africa would be clear. Maybe the WHO will wait until someplace in the West is transmitting before declaring it a pandemic but it is academic at this point.

Two weeks ago

Harvard epidemiologist Marc Lipsitch in the latest issue of Science magazine: “I would be really shocked if in 2 or 3 weeks there wasn't ongoing transmission with hundreds of cases in several countries on several continents.”

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/367/6478/610?et_rid=34804937&et_cid=3196590

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yeah obviously you can't rely on the Chinese government to tell the truth, but I think we overestimate their ability to even know the actual truth themselves.

They have built a systemic CYA mindset at all levels of government. When local, district, regional, national levels etc ALL lie to make someone else look worse than themselves it makes it nearly impossible to have any accuracy in reporting during a crisis. Just take whatever # that's provide and multiply 5x

so person to person now in the UAE. Started with tourists, will it end the tourism the Emirates depend on? 

Health authorities in the UAE confirmed two more people have been infected with Covid-19, bringing the country's total number of new coronavirus cases to 11.

The Ministry of Health and Prevention made the announcement on Friday saying the patients included someone from the Philippines, aged 34, and another from Bangladesh, aged 39.

The pair caught the illness after coming into contact with a Chinese patient in the UAE, the ministry said, adding their health condition "is stable".

Three of the 11 people to test positive for the virus in the UAE have made a full recovery so far.

They include a 73-year-old woman, a 41-year-old man and his eight year-old son, all of whom are from China.

53 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think we are going to need to see regional specific data with a good sample size although the international numbers are helpful.  And not cruise ship (incubator) numbers.

Just now, Parliament said:

Is that a serious statement?  Because I agree with you.  I wanna just get it out of the way.

What if you die? And are you going to donate your house to Surly so we can start an "Old School" frat? And we will need pics of wife.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away