Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Here's the first European victim.  Italian though, so see above.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/coronavirus-claims-first-european-victim-21552499
Mr Trevisan, from the village of Vo' Euganeo near Padua, had recovered some 10 days earlier from an unrelated health issue, Italy's health minister said.
As his health deteriorated earlier this week, he was admitted to hospital along with another person, aged 67, who had tested positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus.
The two men knew each other and used to play cards at the same cafes, Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera reports.

So, no. Morning news doesn’t care yet then.
/onkysortofkidding

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

This virus is like a predator in the wild, goes after the elderly and infirm. 

Except some of the medical professionals killed have been in their early 30s. 2 of the doctors were 31 and 34. I don't know about nurses and such because of lack of reporting.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article240568976.html

Coronavirus patients can’t stay at Travis Air Force Base, the federal government has announced.

But so far there’s nowhere else for them to go.

On Saturday, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told Diamond Princess cruise ship passengers that everyone who tests positive for the virus must be moved from the Fairfield quarantine, even if they’re not sick.

Because there aren’t enough beds in specialized Northern California hospitals, the federal plan was to send them 431 miles south to Costa Mesa’s 125-acre Fairview Developmental Center, a state-owned facility for people with mental disabilities, which is now empty.

But the city’s leaders are blocking the move. Citing fears for residents’ health, they say they were blindsided by the federal plan.

“Our top priority is the safety and security of this community and those who live in this region,” Mayor Katrina Foley said in a statement. “We have received no information regarding how the facility will be prepared, what precautions will be taken to protect those in the facility as well as those who live nearby, and other planning measures.”

A federal judge Friday sided with the city, granting a temporary restraining order against the use of the facility. A hearing is scheduled for 2 p.m. Monday.

This article hasn't held up well from a month ago

https://nypost.com/2020/01/23/dont-buy-the-media-hype-over-the-new-china-virus/?utm_source=reddit.com

Don’t buy the media hype over the new China virus

A CNN reporter broadcasts from Wuhan, China, on the recent viral outbreak. There is nobody near who could possibly infect him ­— unless the cameraman has Guinness Book of Records coughs and sneezes. So why does he insist on wearing a blue surgical mask while talking?

It’s called “drama,” which is badly needed, because there appears to be nothing very special about this outbreak of the 2019-nCoV or Wuhan ­virus. It should actually be called the DvV, or Déjà vu Virus, because we have been through these hysterias before. Over and over. Heterosexual AIDS, Ebola repeatedly, the H1N1 swine flu that was actually vastly milder than the regular flu and, especially, severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in 2003.

Once you start debunking mass hysteria over outbreaks, it gets easy, because the same patterns repeat themselves.

• Like 1

I can't remember which site I read it on last night because I was skimming my phone while waiting for a table at a restaurant, but I read that about 80% who come down with it only suffer from mild flu-like symptoms but about 20 percent of cases are severe enough to require hospitalization. That seems bad.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Some old white people I believe.  With underlying conditions.  I'm assuming some of the Italians that died are...well, wait, do we consider Italians to be white?  Or even people?

Italians <> white, /myracistgrandpa

18 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I can't remember which site I read it on last night because I was skimming my phone while waiting for a table at a restaurant, but I read that about 80% who come down with it only suffer from mild flu-like symptoms but about 20 percent of cases are severe enough to require hospitalization. That seems bad.

Which is why they are cranking out 19 new hospitals in Wuhan.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

This the same NYPost that just had an article about this being a leaked Chinese bio weapon? That “paper” is a fuckin’ rag. 

Screams of the lockdown. &nbsp;It really looks like a horror movie

to make things worse, reports are that the government barricaded the tenement buildings. So everyone is stuck in high rise prisons 

oh and did I mention the fuckers are all spitting from their windows? Wtf   Trying to infect everyone else 

Edited by Xian

Ummm, looking at the BNO, there are 2213 cases and 27 deaths outside of mainland China. This makes the mortality rate 1.2%. So 1 out of 100 are dying of the disease. Of course, Iran is helping screw up the numbers with 8 deaths out of 43 infected for a mortality rate of 18%. Still, though this thing sucks.

47 minutes ago, Xian said:

to make things worse, reports are that the government barricaded the tenement buildings. So everyone is stuck in high rise prisons 

oh and did I mention the fuckers are all spitting from their windows? Wtf   Trying to infect everyone else 

Before I believe that, I'm gonna need something a bit more concrete.

1 hour ago, Xian said:

That's eerie as shit

1 hour ago, Xian said:

Healthcare is a human right?

33 minutes ago, Matuka said:

That's eerie as shit

What's eerie is how little attention it's getting.

We are getting a little back from our taxes sometime this week, and we recently cleared out one of our kitchen cabinets (crock pot, some other stuff we weren't using).  

My wife:  Should we just put it in our savings?

Me: You know that kitchen cabinet we cleaned out?  What if I drop $100 or $200 on canned foods, peanut butter, crackers, ramen, soup, rice, and just fill that cabinet up with long-lasting foodstuffs , just in case there's ever an emergency or we can't or won't go to the grocery store?  Maybe get some masks as well?

Wife: Is this about that coronavirus thing?

Me: 

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

If you crave more daily analysis about the coronavirus from a real doctor breaking things down, check out this youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF9IOB2TExg3QIBupFtBDxg

He's an old British doctor who does a good job explaining shit.  In his Sunday update, he's calling on WHO to go ahead an declare this a pandemic. 

2 hours ago, Xian said:

Seems like an incredibly easy thing to fake. Just edit the audio. 

1 hour ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

If you crave more daily analysis about the coronavirus from a real doctor breaking things down, check out this youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF9IOB2TExg3QIBupFtBDxg

He's an old British doctor who does a good job explaining shit.  In his Sunday update, he's calling on WHO to go ahead an declare this a pandemic. 

I recommend Dr. John Campbell's videos. He said even someone with WHO called him to thank him. I have been watching his videos for a couple weeks.

As for Iran, with 8 deaths, and Dr. Campbell's sources say there are many times that, but if you believe there is 8 deaths and a CFR of ~1% there are already more than 10,000 infected. This also assumes that death typically occurs after three weeks and the total number of infections doubles every 6 days. Iran is already past the point of being able to contain it.

As for me I am in day 5 of a dry cough but with no other symptoms, so far. After a sick Japanese man took a trip to Indonesia, I am still worried about someone coming to the Philippines on vacation when they are sick.

Edited by RayDog
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bevo said:

mortality rate of 26%

It will be very difficult to get good numbers out of Iran. Poor infection reporting is likely to blame for the seemingly high mortality rate. Usually if there is mutation, a virus will mutate to a less severe form as it spreads. Usually.

5 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

It will be very difficult to get good numbers out of Iran. Poor infection reporting is likely to blame for the seemingly high mortality rate. Usually if there is mutation, a virus will mutate to a less severe form as it spreads. Usually.

I don't think there are any known instances where a virus has mutated towards a higher mortality rate. A virus' "goal" is to spread. Very sick and dead people don't spread the virus easily.

As a side note, if this virus hits the US this spring, do you think it will have an effect on your office? What I mean is there are over 1700 sick healthcare workers and at least 6 have died including a 31 and 34 year old physician. You have PPE as did the sick Chinese workers. Do you think you will work the same number of hours, etc?

2 hours ago, Xian said:

Shit going down in Sweden

hospitals so overwhelmed that patients are sleeping in kitchen. So far government is saying just the common flu, but haven’t test for corona yet. If it truly is the common flu, I can’t say I’m impressed with Sweden’s medical system. 

Interesting, sverige radio or 8 Sidor didn’t have anything and aftonbladet mentioned it happened but didn’t blame corona since they’ve been reporting staff shortages At that hospital for a while now. They did say it’s back to normal today though

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

if this virus hits the US this spring, do you think it will have an effect on your office?

I direct urgent care clinics in my locale for a large healthcare system. We are putting contingencies in place for initial isolation and appropriate handling of potential Covid infected patients but we are not prepared for this to become endemic. Quite frankly, I bet no one is. We've had bed holds in the ED already this winter due to flu and hospital margins run relatively slim so efficiency is key and that means there are usually not scores of empty hospital beds and ICU rooms available. IF we went back to shared rooms then capacity could increase.  

I imagine we are going to have to tell people with mild Covid cases to stay put at home if they are young and healthy. The number of people (esp boomers) that run into the clinic for one day of cough or sinus pressure is mind boggling although good for business. We have even considered triaging possible Covid patients in their cars so they don't infect everyone in the waiting room. I have people now that come in for a broken finger and return 4 days later with the flu they likely picked up in the waiting room.

Furthermore, we run clinic at capacity for our providers so if I have a couple of doctors or NP's go down, then our capacity to see patients timely greatly diminishes. Wait times will go up. It's a resource issue and I can't pull doctors out of thin air. Same thing will go with nurses and doctors in the hospital. 

• Like 4

Interesting perspective from the Atlantic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2020/02/coronavirus-and-blindness-authoritarianism/606922/

TL,DR: China's mass digital surveillance has made its populace reluctant to say anything at all. Because of this, the ChiComs have no idea how big the problem is and weren't able to get a hold of the virus like they did during SARS.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GopherRock said:

Interesting perspective from the Atlantic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2020/02/coronavirus-and-blindness-authoritarianism/606922/

TL,DR: China's mass digital surveillance has made its populace reluctant to say anything at all. Because of this, the ChiComs have no idea how big the problem is and weren't able to get a hold of the virus like they did during SARS.

Based on the number of deaths (2,500), there should be around 250,000 cases in Wuhan.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away