Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, Somnio said:

It's concerning to me that the CDC is saying get ready, because this is probably going to get bad while our president is majorly downplaying the situation, and letting everyone know it's no biggie and is under control.

WTF?

I would think the president would say remain calm and be vigilant. And I would think the CDC has been waiting its whole existence for such an event. I've worked with the CDC's infectious disease team to develop products. I respect the institution. But they are about to become a leader in the US where people will listen to them before any other person or entity in the US.

What do you think would happen if a large meteor was headed towards earth? The president would say remain calm, we've got this. NASA would say prepare your anus.

What I am saying is that each group has its own agenda. The president's agenda is to allay fears and instill confidence. The CDC's agenda is to get the virus under control and to do that it needs to get people to prepare and follow protocol.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Armin Tamzarian said:

What's the timing of a background check for firearms? Or is there a gun show happening now in my area?

It's pretty much instantaneous.  Go to Academy, pick your firearm, they do a check, if you're not a felon/on a terrorist watchlist/wear a wife beater you're out the door in just a few minutes.

Edited by Somnio
spelling

Just now, Goredho said:

I'm personally stocking up on weed, booze, ammo and food in that order of importance.

had a talk with a friend last night. We agreed we would get the kids together, go to her place which is more isolated than my house. I am in charge of wine, she has the weed. Plus does not hurt there is a herd of cows behind her house. 

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

WTF does, "get ready" mean anyway.

Chicken Noodle soup and electric blankets?

Steel window bars and double ought buckshot?

Just placed an Ammo order, not because of the virus, just because.....   

Naw, who am I kidding. Totally because of the virus.    

https://www.luckygunner.com/   is your friend.

2 hours ago, drt said:

By the way, if you're pinning your hopes on somebody stumbling on a vaccine in some other country that doesn't have a rigorous testing and development process...you're probably going to be disappointed.

Efficacy is a lot easier to test for than safety. But if you remove the safety protocols, you can move much faster. Kinda like orphan cancer drugs.

I would think the president would say remain calm and be vigilant. And I would think the CDC has been waiting its whole existence for such an event. I've worked with the CDC's infectious disease team to develop products. I respect the institution. But they are about to become a leader in the US where people will listen to them before any other person or entity in the US.
What do you think would happen if a large meteor was headed towards earth? The president would say remain calm, we've got this. NASA would say prepare your anus.
What I am saying is that each group has its own agenda. The president's agenda is to allay fears and instill confidence. The CDC's agenda is to get the virus under control and to do that it needs to get people to prepare and follow protocol.

And the job of all male surly posters is to beg women for end of the world sex.

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

It’s pretty naive to think that mortality rate will hold steady. Unless this acts like no other virus in the history of mankind, it’ll eventually evolve down to a less lethal strain (like the spanish flu did). 

Mortality rate is not the problem.  Well, if you’re over 65 it is.  

The problem is the 15-20% who need to be hospitalized, have their fluids checked/dripped, and need to be intubated to keep their airways open.    For 2-3 weeks.   Oh, and the people maintaining their IVs, oxygen, etc, have to be in serious PPE    

That would overwhelm American healthcare.   We are just not setup for a shit-ton of people being hospitalized and quarantined for 2-3 weeks each, with healthcare providers wearing full PPE.  

By the end of next week, China will have thrown together over 25 new hospitals in and around a single city of 9 million.

China wouldn’t give this much of a shit about a few hundred thousand people, unless it is That Bad.   

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away