Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

10 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

So they had an infected older/elderly widow of a soldier living just off post, who came onto post a few times, and they put out an alert about it a day or two ago.  Wonder if she spread it, or he caught it elsewhere.  

Because this thing seems really crazy when it comes to transmission.   

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

So they had an infected older/elderly widow of a soldier living just off post, who came onto post a few times, and they put out an alert about it a day or two ago.  Wonder if she spread it, or he caught it elsewhere.  

Because this thing seems really crazy when it comes to transmission.   

Who the fuck knows. Could be Raydogs Korean cousin. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Euro train system has already brought it all over the continent I’d guess. 

Yeah, no telling how many people started getting a symptom or two and thought “oh fuck, I may have it, got to get back to my home country before I get quarantined here!”

Thats partly what worries me about how we dragged our feet on air travel bans and lack of testing - how many people thought they were getting sick and decided to either travel here, or return here (students/foreign workers, vacationers) because they thought If they had it, their chances were better here.   

Edited by atomheartbevo

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, no telling how many people started getting a symptom or two and thought “oh fuck, I may have it, got to get back to my home country before I get quarantined here!”

Thats partly what worries me about how we dragged our feet on air travel bans and lack of testing - how many people thought they were getting sick and decided to either travel here, or return here (students/foreign workers, vacationers) because they thought I’d they had it, their chances were better here.   

Just check out FlightRadar24. 

This is fine.  

https://www.newsweek.com/infected-south-korean-coronavirus-health-official-member-secretive-religious-group-linked-1488802

A South Korean health official, who has tested positive for coronavirus, is reportedly a member of the Shincheonji religious group linked to hundreds of confirmed cases in the country. 

The unnamed South Korean health official is said to be the head of the Infection Preventive Medicine Department in Daegu, home to a branch of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, the Temple of the Tabernacle of the Testimony (SCJ), The South China Morning Post reported.

South Korean health authorities have raised concerns that the services held by SCJ, which sees members sitting on the floor in close proximity for periods of one to two hours, may have helped spread the virus.

The official, who was said to be in charge of the district's fight against the virus, tested positive. Fifty health officials he was working with have been quarantined in their homes as a precautionary measure, city mayor Kwon Young-jin has confirmed.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/politics/article/3052322/coronavirus-secretive-south-korean-church-linked-outbreak-held

Members of the Christian sect linked to a cluster of coronavirus cases in South Korea held meetings in Wuhan until December, only stopping when they realised that their community had been hit by Covid-19, the previously unknown disease caused by the virus.

The South China Morning Post has learned that the Shincheonji Church of Jesus in Wuhan, the Chinese city at the centre of the epidemic, has around 200 members, most of whom are currently under quarantine outside the city.

“Rumours about a virus began to circulate in November but no one took them seriously,” said one member, a 28-year-old kindergarten teacher.

“I was in Wuhan in December when our church suspended all gatherings as soon as we learned about [the coronavirus],” said the woman, who declined to be named because of the sensitivity of the matter.

Alex Jones is really missing out on this shit.  

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Have a meter thanks to a relative in the medical industry who gives out what I used to think were useless gifts.

So....did you actually see a Korean in the restaurant , or are you talking about on the menu?   After you mentioned your girlfriend has eaten bat and enjoyed it, well,  I’m never sure what to expect out of you.   

I just know that if it hits the Philippines, and we hear about an American ex-pat who has an army of teenaged midgets helping keep his compound secure from the rest of the world, we will all be thinking of you.   

I like the compound idea, but right now I only have an apartment.

I meant that 3 or 4 Koreans will often sit at a table near me, more at a Korean restaurant. I usually pass hundreds on the street at night when I am out, but I tend to go to Aussie run bars since the girls there tend to prefer white guys. The girls at Korean bars usually prefer East Asian guys.

I will probably get infected quick once it gets here.

Just now, RayDog said:

I meant that 3 or 4 Koreans will often sit at a table near me, more at a Korean restaurant. I usually pass hundreds on the street at night when I am out, but I tend to go to Aussie run bars since the girls there tend to prefer white guys. The girls at Korean bars usually prefer East Asian guys.

At least it will make your syphilis seem trivial.

• Like 3

Calling people cunts. .  You are not special either.    But you want to know what’s special?

Never mind that we area not locking down air travel like we should, are not testing like we should.  But it’s not limited to Trump, nope.
For your information, when the leadership of this country is lying about the severity of s starts to really get.  

A lot going on here
First of all if you are calling me out for calling someone a cunt, as being against forum rules, then I accept that objection and apologize. It could have been said better. The poster in question all but admitted he was trolling so I’m not sure he’s the guy I’d “white knight” for, but that’s not the point.

That you have people annoying you on FB is not my problem. I don’t know you or the people that you know. That’s part of the reason I don’t FB. People are annoying.

With regards to locking this down, it sounds like you are favor of SIGNIFICANTLY limiting travel? I don’t disagree with that at all but I have the luxury of not having family or business outside of the US. I think those in charge are trying to calm fears because there is certainly the possibility of people going apeshit. My opinion is that it’s coming here. Not that we shouldn’t take common sense measures to limit it, but something as communicable as the flu is going g to get around. People are lying about their travel and exposure risk because they don’t want their ability to come and go as they please infringed upon even thought they might be infected. I don’t know what the answer is. Fortunately the mortality is far closer to influenza than it is to Ebola.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

The conspiracy article about Coronavirus is an eye opener for me...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misinformation_related_to_the_2019–20_coronavirus_outbreak

There have apparently been plenty of scenarios gamed out by researchers after SARS ( 2003) and MERS (2012), both coronaviruses.  Most of the world outside of Asia and the Middle East only have vague recollections (if at all) of how scary those viruses were, but they were serious enough that researchers were going to focus on them as potential future pandemics.

So now we have all of these coronavirus scenarios to provide fodder for the conspiracy theorists.  And we get to mix in the Chinese who liked to eat wild animals, bioresearch labs in close proximity to Wuhan, and it’s a helluva blend.  

Shame Tom Clancy is dead.  He would have had his ghostwriters pump out half a dozen novels about this stuff.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RayDog said:

Quickly*

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RayDog said:

hi Ray.  Question from the gallery.  Is there enough diversity in the Philippine gene pool to keep a man enchubbened after the 800th or 801st new partner?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

hi Ray.  Question from the gallery.  Is there enough diversity in the Philippine gene pool to keep a man enchubbened after the 800th or 801st new partner?

Depends on how attractive you find midgets.

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

There have apparently been plenty of scenarios gamed out by researchers after SARS ( 2003) and MERS (2012), both coronaviruses.  Most of the world outside of Asia and the Middle East only have vague recollections (if at all) of how scary those viruses were, but they were serious enough that researchers were going to focus on them as potential future pandemics.

So now we have all of these coronavirus scenarios to provide fodder for the conspiracy theorists.  And we get to mix in the Chinese who liked to eat wild animals, bioresearch labs in close proximity to Wuhan, and it’s a helluva blend.  

Shame Tom Clancy is dead.  He would have had his ghostwriters pump out half a dozen novels about this stuff.  

Tom Clancy died? Well shit, I missed that.

Rip

This is how our military/government is treating this. I know many guys currently stationed in South Korea. 2 weeks ago they were sent home. No tests. No precautions. Nothing. Follow ups with any of those that were sent home? Nope. Not at all. Now they are all back at bases in the states.  

That’s  just a small sample of how lightly we are treating this as of 2 weeks ago. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

This is how our military/government is treating this. I know many guys currently stationed in South Korea. 2 weeks ago they were sent home. No tests. No precautions. Nothing. Follow ups with any of those that were sent home? Nope. Not at all. Now they are all back at bases in the states.  

That’s  just a small sample of how lightly we are treating this as of 2 weeks ago. 

Wonderful.

You know, if we luck out and this shit fizzles before too much damage is done, I hope some lessons will have been learned at least.  If it turns out not so bad, we will be very fortunate because it seems like things should've been handled much differently.

Edited by Somnio

Just had our first baby down at UTMB. Signs everywhereBasically  saying that if you had recently been anywhere in China and feeling off to grab a mask and talk to the first official you saw. 

we were also asked multiple times if we had recently traveled anywhere in Asia or hung out with anyone who had. 

they at least seemed to be taking it seriously 

33 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We should have been locking travel down much, much earlier than we did, and much more comprehensive, and everybody knew it.   From almost the beginning, once it became clear that the CCP was deliberately hiding the severity, we should have put the brakes on.  WHO was fucking useless and had their mouths full of CCP dick so that the Chinese wouldn’t say bad things about them. 

Instead, I know of people who are flying from Asia and not being screened at all when getting back.  Not even a temperature check as of this past week.  

Hell, China announced 400 new cases out of Hubei and 50 new deaths today, and we know that’s utter bullshit, otherwise they wouldn’t be ramping up another 20 or so makeshift hospitals.  

Trump and Co, knew he would be asked about coronavirus, and so he shouldn’t have been trying to lowball it (he didn’t even have to toss out a number, just a “thoughts and prayers with those Americans stricken by this virus”) and he and Kudlow do not need to be trying to downplay it either   

I don’t know where you live, but I spent many years in the Houston area, and whenever we had a hurricane heading our way (or even close enough  to cause concern), most authority figures weren’t out there saying “you know what, we got it under control, everything is fine, you don’t need to worry or think about it.”   Instead, when it became clear the hurricane was a threat, it was them pumping information on supplies folks should have, evacuation routes, important phone numbers, etc.  

We are staring down the hurricane right now   It might be weak, but we already have plenty of cases here, and more importantly, we didn’t shut down the air travel we needed to (and when we needed to), and we aren’t screening and testing nearly as much as we should.  Our government officials In Washington also half-assed the evacuation of Americans from the Diamond Princess Incubator and put more at risk as a result.

We need CDC briefings like this morning’s, and not Trump and Kudlow doing their best Frank Drebben impressions of “nothing to see here.”

There's a thread in the cloak room for you to evaluate the president's performance.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Is it possible Trump was intentionally lieing about the number of cases? Yes. Is it possible that he doesn't know how many cases there are due to not paying attention to briefings or not being able to remember things? Also yes. Which is more likely? Or is either option equally likely? 

I will offer no further commentary since this is not the CR.

I think the overarching point is that it's not political to point out that the President of the United States was either speaking publicly on the topic while grossly misinformed or blatantly lied. One of the two happened. You can't blame someone who says that doesn't inspire confidence in the government's response. There isn't anything political about that given that this thread is for the discussion of the virus.

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

Got a friend I go out to lunch with once in a while. Got back from a Crystal Cruise to Asia a few days ago. Won’t be seeing him anytime soon

Also have 4 colleagues who got on a plane to somewhere in Asia last night for a vacation. Vietnam at least, perhaps other places.

Not going to call them dumbasses but I better not have to cover their shifts if they come back sick or worse yet carry it back to the rest of us.

42 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We should have been locking travel down much, much earlier than we did, and much more comprehensive, and everybody knew it.   From almost the beginning, once it became clear that the CCP was deliberately hiding the severity, we should have put the brakes on.  WHO was fucking useless and had their mouths full of CCP dick so that the Chinese wouldn’t say bad things about them. 

Instead, I know of people who are flying from Asia and not being screened at all when getting back.  Not even a temperature check as of this past week.  

Hell, China announced 400 new cases out of Hubei and 50 new deaths today, and we know that’s utter bullshit, otherwise they wouldn’t be ramping up another 20 or so makeshift hospitals.  

Trump and Co, knew he would be asked about coronavirus, and so he shouldn’t have been trying to lowball it (he didn’t even have to toss out a number, just a “thoughts and prayers with those Americans stricken by this virus”) and he and Kudlow do not need to be trying to downplay it either   

I don’t know where you live, but I spent many years in the Houston area, and whenever we had a hurricane heading our way (or even close enough  to cause concern), most authority figures weren’t out there saying “you know what, we got it under control, everything is fine, you don’t need to worry or think about it.”   Instead, when it became clear the hurricane was a threat, it was them pumping information on supplies folks should have, evacuation routes, important phone numbers, etc.  

We are staring down the hurricane right now   It might be weak, but we already have plenty of cases here, and more importantly, we didn’t shut down the air travel we needed to (and when we needed to), and we aren’t screening and testing nearly as much as we should.  Our government officials In Washington also half-assed the evacuation of Americans from the Diamond Princess Incubator and put more at risk as a result.

We need CDC briefings like this morning’s, and not Trump and Kudlow doing their best Frank Drebben impressions of “nothing to see here.”

+rep. Keep preaching the truth. 

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away