Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

54 minutes ago, Somnio said:

“Rumours about a virus began to circulate in November but no one took them seriously,” said one member, a 28-year-old kindergarten teacher.

Damn, I hope this broad didn't infect a bunch of kids. 

I do remember reading that apparently this virus is hardly infecting kids for some reason. No one really knows why.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Fuck, just looked.  She was at Camp Walker on the 12th and 15th.  So that’s two American posts with virus exposure.   

@InkaUtexas From NYT on the soldier

The soldier visited Camp Walker, a military base in Daegu, on Monday and visited Camp Carroll from Friday to Tuesday. South Korean and American “health professionals are actively conducting contact tracing to determine whether any others may have been exposed,” the military said. The military added that it was “implementing all appropriate control measures to help control the spread of Covid-19 and remains at risk level ‘high’” for all its 28,500 soldiers stationed in South Korea “as a prudent measure to protect the force.”

Those measures include advising all troops to “limit non-mission essential” meetings and “off-installation travel.” At the gates of the American military bases across South Korea, stations have been set up to administer temperature checks and screening questionnaires. On Tuesday, the United States and South Korea said they would consider scaling back joint military exercise after an outbreak among South Korean soldiers had infected at least 13.

So she was at Walker on the 12th and 15th, and he was there yesterday, but already infected .  They aren’t saying if he crossed paths with her and was there in the past, but either he did and was just unlucky, or it’s really going around. If he did cross paths with her and caught it, he can’t have been the only one.  Wonder if he got pegged during a temperature check.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I think the overarching point is that it's not political to point out that the President of the United States was either speaking publicly on the topic while grossly misinformed or blatantly lied. One of the two happened. You can't blame someone who says that doesn't inspire confidence in the government's response. There isn't anything political about that given that this thread is for the discussion of the virus.

No disagreement there. But the post I quoted neglected the possibility of the former option (or in the same vein he just plain forgot due to age or whatever). I'm not in any way trying to defend the president. My personal opinion of him is not something that would inspire confidence. I'm only trying to look at things objectively. But let's also remember that he, as well as many others, see his job as one that is supposed to lend stability during a crisis and keep panic from happening. The effectiveness of this strategy and how he goes about it is a discussion for the other board, however. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Why did you need 800 words to correct a single number? 

If you are so dumb to believe presidents literally, perhaps you could show us where your family saved $2500 from Obamacare. 

But do that in the correct thread.

There is absolutely nothing wrong or political with expecting Presidents and their advisors to present simple, factual information to the American public about a potential pandemic that is currently ongoing.  And while you may not believe Presidents literally, there are millions in this country that do.

That is a problem for the rest of us during this little event, because they will think it’s no big deal because the leaders they are listening to are downplaying it, and when they get sick, they’ll stroll into the nearest urgent care, or hospital, or ARC or whatever, and maybe put on one of those dinky masks and wait in line for something they think is no more serious than the flu, all the while they are fucking things up for everybody else.

As for your other comment,  would like to help you, but I’ve never used or benefitted from Obamacare, but if you want information about that, there is probably a correct thread for it.  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 3

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0225-cdc-telebriefing-covid-19-update.mp3

9:50 in, the CDC person says there is no backlog and they tested 400 last night.   Me thinks it would be interesting If their website reflected the proper number of tested.  

Still only testing those who came from China or had contact with an infected person.  

The best numbers I could find is 380 Americans on the Corona Princess, and 100 elected to finish their quarantine on the ship, and they have to remain symptom-free and test negative twice over two weeks before being allowed here.  Everybody else is supposedly in quarantine here. So that is probably accounting for a big chunk of those tests.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

This was posted on one of the virus Reddit’s tracking the top 10 countries by week.  just click and save
6t1VJ9KQNcEhT-_geDWEi7yq5fwiEIZ6L6-9iZQG1dg.png?auto=webp&s=c7401dfadcc6222f6dd87b038448bab6beb55813
Italy shot up from nothing to #4 in under a week, and South Korea went from 6th place to crushing the #2 spot in the past week.  

Plus side is China saw a dramatically smaller increase . 15->23>30 -> 7 thousand is maybe a good sign

35 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Why did you need 800 words to correct a single number? 

If you are so dumb to believe presidents literally, perhaps you could show us where your family saved $2500 from Obamacare. 

But do that in the correct thread.

Your post is far more CR than any of his. Pretty telling that people get this offended by other people pointing out that our president said something that was inaccurate. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Either way, probably bad hangovers. Fuck General order #1.

We are just going to let ya wander from an epidemic zone, but call us if you feel sick. And great spelling. Honor grad? 

The aircraft was only momentarily delayed. All other soldeirs on the flight have been notified about symptoms of concern and how to connect with Army Public Health Nursing.

58 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This was posted on one of the virus Reddit’s tracking the top 10 countries by week.  just click and save

6t1VJ9KQNcEhT-_geDWEi7yq5fwiEIZ6L6-9iZQG

Italy shot up from nothing to #4 in under a week, and South Korea went from 6th place to crushing the #2 spot in the past week.  

Asia is the SEC of Coronavirus

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/02/03/fighting-coronoavirus-with-travel-bans-is-mistake/

This article attempts to make a case for no travel bans.  It's makes interesting points although I don't agree with all of it.  The point is that people making this out to be purely a "failure of the other team" forget that travel bans were not robust during the heyday of Ebola. It came down largely to asking people to volunteer the fact that they were exposed or came from a hotzone and taking their temperature one time.  I remember wanting travel to be shutdown completely from those areas but largely it wasn't.  This was also an area where we don't have great economic interests (so there was less of a reason not to shut down).   Of course corona if far more communicable, but 100 out of 100 people would rather take a long hot bath in a tub full of corona virus rather than step into a room with a guy who knows a guy who was exposed to ebola.  I don't see travel ban as a partisan issue.  I don't see either side united in a call for travel bans.  That part of it appears to my knowledge to be bipartisan.   

Edited by Lhorn

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

hi Ray.  Question from the gallery.  Is there enough diversity in the Philippine gene pool to keep a man enchubbened after the 800th or 801st new partner?

Yes, I think so. While mostly polynesian/Latina with lots of variety, some are half-Chinese, half-Japanese, half-Korean, half-white, half-black with skin colors ranging from pale white to "negra" as my girlfriend calls herself. I have a thing for darker skinned women. After two years  I look for women who make me think "wow" the first instant I see them, and then I go with my instincts, assuming the negotiations work out. No blow no go.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/battle-over-ebola-travel-ban-health-officials-call-it-big-n228666

Here's an article where the shoe is on the other foot.  

I apologize if this is view as CR.  My point is that it's far less of a political issue that its made out to be.  

Edited by Lhorn

I'm being very simplistic, perhaps overly, but I think travel bans do one important thing well:  Make it harder for the asshats who think/know they are ill, fleeing one country for another, either before there is ample screening, or using medication to pass through the screening (say fever-reducing medication, which has happened).

Now, that's not to say they are going to head out to other countries and try to get her via a couple of other nations, but in theory, they should still be caught.

2 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

There's a thread in the cloak room for you to evaluate the president's performance.

I'd also like to point out that you gave absolutely no shits when we criticized and mocked the performance of the Communist Part of China, China's leadership structure and its leaders, their coverups, nd their contribution to the spread of this virus, both within China and around the world.

You also gave no shits when we criticized and then mocked the government of Iran and its leaders, both for fucking up the response, and then trying to cover up the numbers, and then having a top-level government official not only becoming infected and presenting symptoms during a live press conference, but then infecting other top-level government officials.

When government officials fuck up or mislead their citizens and the rest of the world, either willfully or ignorantly, the accurate information needs to be presented, because otherwise, far too many people will take the misinformation as gospel.  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 9
  • Fuck You 1

I'm being very simplistic, perhaps overly, but I think travel bans do one important thing well:  Make it harder for the asshats who think/know they are ill, fleeing one country for another, either before there is ample screening, or using medication to pass through the screening (say fever-reducing medication, which has happened).
Now, that's not to say they are going to head out to other countries and try to get her via a couple of other nations, but in theory, they should still be caught.

I don’t disagree with you. We’ve been pretty lightly affected so far (at least as far as confirmed cases). If there a sense that this will fade as we get into summer, we could lessen the burden of illness with a travel ban. If we get to the point of other countries where the number of cases is spiking then the cats out of the bag.

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m 41. How many old Americans have to die before I can start daydreaming about receiving social security?

or will they funnel all the money to the health care providers on their way out?

We are the same age, so let me know what you find out.

7 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Only 1 new case in Singapore...

BUT

It was someone who already had it and was treated and released. This is pretty concerning...

Yep, I heard you could become infected again after "recovery".

I also heard it seems worse the second time.

Quite concerning.

6 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Plus side is China saw a dramatically smaller increase . 15->23>30 -> 7 thousand is maybe a good sign

Um maybe.  I don't know what's going on with China, but unless a miracle has occurred I do not believe those numbers at all.

I had been watching their numbers on BNO and the cases, particularly outside Hubei, have changed little if at all for a week or more.

Bejing and Shanghai both shot up to over 300 cases, and then no new cases?  Seems unlikely.

11 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Yep, I heard you could become infected again after "recovery".

I also heard it seems worse the second time.

Quite concerning.

Somewhere around 10 to 20% of deaths are due of myocarditis. Some who survive have damaged hearts and are more likely to die of myocarditis the second time.

I was watching a video that mentioned that the virus binds with the ACE-2 sites, so it is possible that ACE inhibitors such as losartan can bind with ACE-2 sites in the lungs and slow the effects of the Coronavirus. I am going to ask around about getting a supply since it is worth a shot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lhorn said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/02/03/fighting-coronoavirus-with-travel-bans-is-mistake/

This article attempts to make a case for no travel bans.  It's makes interesting points although I don't agree with all of it.  The point is that people making this out to be purely a "failure of the other team" forget that travel bans were not robust during the heyday of Ebola. It came down largely to asking people to volunteer the fact that they were exposed or came from a hotzone and taking their temperature one time.  I remember wanting travel to be shutdown completely from those areas but largely it wasn't.  This was also an area where we don't have great economic interests (so there was less of a reason not to shut down).   Of course corona if far more communicable, but 100 out of 100 people would rather take a long hot bath in a tub full of corona virus rather than step into a room with a guy who knows a guy who was exposed to ebola.  I don't see travel ban as a partisan issue.  I don't see either side united in a call for travel bans.  That part of it appears to my knowledge to be bipartisan.   

Unlike respiratory illnesses like the coronavirus, which can spread by particles that remain in the air after an infected person coughs or sneezes, Ebola is spread by direct contact with body fluids of a person who is sick with Ebola. 

I have to admit that I’m thinking about slowly stockpiling a few grocery items. If and when coronavirus starts to spread in the US, grocery stores will be hit hard. When a hurricane enters the Gulf, people empty stores even though most likely they only need food and water for 1-3 days max.  And that’s if it actually hits them.

imagine a scenario where you might want to avoid leaving home for a month? You might need to take a gun to Kroger in order to get your groceries to your car.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I have to admit that I’m thinking about slowly stockpiling a few grocery items. If and when coronavirus starts to spread in the US, grocery stores will be hit hard. When a hurricane enters the Gulf, people empty stores even though most likely they only need food and water for 1-3 days max.  And that’s if it actually hits them.

imagine a scenario where you might want to avoid leaving home for a month? You might need to take a gun to Kroger in order to get your groceries to your car.

My family is stocked for a month on food and water. I spent 300 over the weekend. We have our n95 masks . I made the decision to stock up more so to avoid the panic than the virus. People can get crazy and I want my family to be safe. 

Here’s my thinking . If I’m wrong I’m just to weirdo nutjob who has rice and beans through 2021. And I’m ok with that ...

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away