Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

To clarify that means no mention of political parties or candidates or incumbent members of the government. 

You can talk about government agencies and refer to their titles in the government, however adding qualifiers like "stupid president" etc is political. Keep it focused on current events and the economic and or infrastructure related topics. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

My family is stocked for a month on food and water. I spent 300 over the weekend. We have our n95 masks . I made the decision to stock up more so to avoid the panic than the virus. People can get crazy and I want my family to be safe. 

Here’s my thinking . If I’m wrong I’m just to weirdo nutjob who has rice and beans through 2021. And I’m ok with that ...

IMO get enough for 60 days for your family and 2 other families/neighbors who did not. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

This always cracks me up.  Do you really think a war is going to break out?  That you’re going to be holed up in your defensive bunker, fending off a marauding army for months on end?

Do you even 28 Days Later, bro?

(no, I don’t)

10 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Y'all ever been on a Korean subway? It's something like what a Mexican prison would be like.

Korea is an unaccompanied tour, there are few to no families there, just a lot of korean girlfriends.

Uh, the latter hasnt been true since 2010ish.  Almost all of the 2ID bases were turned over to the ROK and US forces were moved to Camp Humphreys.  Even Yongsan is gone.  Everything south of the Han river is an accompanied tour.  

Former is absolutely true.  I was telling my coworker about it last week.  The one good semi-helpful thing is they were already pretty bug averse and a decent amount of people wore masks before any of this shit broke out anyway.  If that shit makes it into the termite mounds around Seoul, things are fucked.  

My wife is doing a grocery/supplies this morning. Should be interesting to see what kind of bullshit she comes home with. 

Mine spent 900 on vitals yesterday. Whatever. Don’t need to buy TP, diapers, wipes and paper towels for a good year after the virus threat is done.

So prepare mentally for number in that ballpark

21 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

This always cracks me up.  Do you really think a war is going to break out?  That you’re going to be holed up in your defensive bunker, fending off a marauding army for months on end?

To be more specific, no, I don’t envision that scenario.  Do I think it’s in the realm of possibility that if we are hit hard by the coronavirus that for some weeks we might see localized areas that resemble New Orleans after Katrina hit?  Yeah, I could see that.  Self-defense when a first-world society is suddenly disrupted is a concern you are free to prioritize as you like.

44 minutes ago, TexasGolf said:

IMO get enough for 60 days for your family and 2 other families/neighbors who did not. 

This. I stocked up for my college son and girlfriend as well. I mean someone has to man the tower at night when I am drinking right? 

Had a friend tell me she would just come over with her kid if it got bad. Sent her the FEMA be prepared list and told her for food and water multiply times 5. People always think someone else has their back. Nope, not in an emergency. Unless she brings that real good looking female friend. Damn this goes down the post the pic rules will be glorious. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Why water?

How often do you need to cycle/replace masks? I figure the outside of the mask gets contaminated pretty quickly, but I don't know.

Water- If there is a disruption utilities can be impacted. 

Masks- Depends on how often you wear them and where. Keep them for just opening the door to the Amazon drop off, they last. 

I still think this is way overblown. I saw a "breaking news" tweet about one (yes, one) death in South Korea. Could this be a pandemic that kills millions? Maybe. 

It's an interesting view on risk analysis, imo. Most of the disruption (almost all) is due to the reaction/fear of the virus. As far as deaths go, the numbers are very, very low relative to other health issues. It's not surprising that elderly with comorbidities may die at a greater frequency.

It's also an interesting study in how the internet feeds into this fear. 

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe 50 million will die. Maybe I'll be one of them. I doubt it, though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

This. I stocked up for my college son and girlfriend as well. I mean someone has to man the tower at night when I am drinking right? 

Had a friend tell me she would just come over with her kid if it got bad. Sent her the FEMA be prepared list and told her for food and water multiply times 5. People always think someone else has their back. Nope, not in an emergency. Unless she brings that real good looking female friend. Damn this goes down the post the pic rules will be glorious. 

On this eve of our demise, my wish is that you and her be required to reseed the earth with humanity.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lhorn said:

I don’t disagree with you. We’ve been pretty lightly affected so far (at least as far as confirmed cases). If there a sense that this will fade as we get into summer, we could lessen the burden of illness with a travel ban. If we get to the point of other countries where the number of cases is spiking then the cats out of the bag.

At the very least, we should have been checking the temps of everybody coming over from the Pacific.  That’s negligence.  Yeah, people that took meds to keep their fever down could slip through, but these are long flights, and we’ve already seen Americans from the Cruise Ship from Hell developing fevers on their flights home.  

Speaking of, another 14 cases on that cruise ship, so it’s over 700 cases now.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

I still think this is way overblown. I saw a "breaking news" tweet about one (yes, one) death in South Korea. Could this be a pandemic that kills millions? Maybe. 

It's an interesting view on risk analysis, imo. Most of the disruption (almost all) is due to the reaction/fear of the virus. As far as deaths go, the numbers are very, very low relative to other health issues. It's not surprising that elderly with comorbidities may die at a greater frequency.

It's also an interesting study in how the internet feeds into this fear. 

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe 50 million will die. Maybe I'll be one of them. I doubt it, though. 

This.

9 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Water- If there is a disruption utilities can be impacted. 

Masks- Depends on how often you wear them and where. Keep them for just opening the door to the Amazon drop off, they last. 

We live in a mountainous region, near tree line.  We are on a Private well that requires electricity to pump.  The climate is extreme here, and we’ve lost power 3 times already this year.  Once, it took 13 hours to restore with whoever repairing the line having to do so while it was snowing, in the teens and with a significant wind.  Now imagine that context happening when a significant amount of the population, including the utility workers, are sick if not hospitalized.  Does that 13 hours become some days?

Luckily I bought a backup generator to power the main part of the house and well pump earlier this year and have a large gas tank on our land, so we’ll be ok for a couple weeks if the grid is disrupted.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

Another death if France.  This time, 60 year old man.  Two other cases in France as well.  One, a Chinese woman who has had no serious symptoms and a 36 year old man who has been going back and forth between Lombardy.  

https://www.france24.com/en/20200226-france-reports-first-citizen-to-die-from-coronavirus-as-three-new-cases-confirmed

https://www.france24.com/en/20200225-france-confirms-two-new-cases-of-coronavirus-one-returning-from-italy

2 hours ago, Rockwell Torrey said:

That is why you dip the cotton ball in the oil.

Can we get a ruling on this oil?  Are we talking vegetable oil or maybe an EEVO?  Or is like a motor oil?  10W-30 or a straight 30W?  Do you get extra protection if you spring for the Royal Purple synthetic?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

At the very least, we should have been checking the temps of everybody coming over from the Pacific.  That’s negligence.  

Yeah, you know that seems like a good idea, but how effective is it? 

It's not. Checking the temps may be a well-intentioned effort but it's worthless. You can have the virus without having a temp. 

Imo, these steps just make us feel good about "doing something". It doesn't seem to matter that the steps are not effective. 

And what's a normal temp? What level triggers alarm? What about the mean/average human temp falling? How do you account for all this? Especially when if even one infected person gets through all these preventive steps have just become worthless? 

This whole thing is also an interesting study in marginal costs. How much are we willing to spend to eliminate every single chance of infection? (never mind that it can't be done)

And as you can imagine, I don't think it was negligent to not take the temp of every single person who came over from the Pacific. 

So the virus is supposed to stay active on surfaces for 9 days I think I read?  If thats true, what are all our preppers doing to deal with disinfecting all the stuff they will come in contact with?  Costco pallet of Lysol to spray down every package and non-perishable item?  Wash station for all your veggies prior to letting them in the house?  Gallon jugs of hand sanitizer for everything you touch outside your home?  

• Like 1

Seems to me that folks stocking up on canned food, water and toilet paper aren't really thinking this through.  From what I've read:

- The virus can survive on contaminated surfaces for a long time (up to a month?).

- If you catch the virus, get sick and recover, you don't have immunity from a relapse (or getting sick a second time)

- Getting a second infection is carries risk of death from heart failure.

Seems to me that everyone should be stocking up on disinfectants to clean surface areas in the house frequently and thoroughly should anyone in the house get sick.

Edit: Txsg8r posted while I was composing this post...

Edited by bernorange

33 minutes ago, woohorn said:

How often do you need to cycle/replace masks? I figure the outside of the mask gets contaminated pretty quickly, but I don't know.

It's been a few decades since I went through basic training and NBC training (nuclear, biological, chemical), but I feel confident in saying that average people who find themselves directly exposed to the virus will fuck up dealing with the mask after exposure, and keeping the virus from getting on their hands/face/hair.  

The Chinese have publicly admitted to 3,000+ healthcare professionals coming down with it.  A Japanese quarantine officer who went onto the cruise ship came down with it.   A bunch of Iranian officials came down with it (and Iran has had somewhat recent experience with chemical/biological weapons thanks to their little spats with Iraq).  These are people that, in theory have access to areas for disinfecting and trained co-workers to help with disinfecting, that Joe B. Smith from Pflugerville won't have.  And Joe B. Smith is not going to be wearing full PPE either.

If you're going to be serious about it, be very clean-shaven (sorry, no beards, you might get away with a goatee at most), have plenty of gloves, have an area away from your house, and be prepared to go through a lot of clothing.

I don't want to discourage people from doing the mask thing, but being the father of two young kids, I have come to realize just how often people touch their faces/clothes, and if you come into contact with somebody who's actively got the virus, the virus particles that the mask can keep you from inhaling are still going to end up on your cloths, hands, neck, hair, etc.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Goredho said:

We live in a mountainous region, near tree line.  We are on a Private well that requires electricity to pump.  The climate is extreme here, and we’ve lost power 3 times already this year.  Once, it took 13 hours to restore with whoever repairing the line having to do so while it was snowing, in the teens and with a significant wind.  Now imagine that context happening when a significant amount of the population, including the utility workers, are sick if not hospitalized.  Does that 13 hours become some days?

Luckily I bought a backup generator to power the main part of the house and well pump earlier this year and have a large gas tank on our land, so we’ll be ok for a couple weeks if the grid is disrupted.

Could be weeks. Think of how long it can take to recover from an ice storm. Now say there are only 25% crews. 

One thing coming out of HK and China is maintenance was halted in building to stop the spread. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

So the virus is supposed to stay active on surfaces for 9 days I think I read?  If thats true, what are all our preppers doing to deal with disinfecting all the stuff they will come in contact with?  Costco pallet of Lysol to spray down every package and non-perishable item?  Wash station for all your veggies prior to letting them in the house?  Gallon jugs of hand sanitizer for everything you touch outside your home?  

Clorox bleach becomes your best friend. 

10 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

But they need to Lysol their Costco pallet of Lysol before they use the Lysol? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's been a few decades since I went through basic training and NBC training (nuclear, biological, chemical), but I feel confident in saying that average people who find themselves directly exposed to the virus will fuck up dealing with the mask after exposure, and keeping the virus from getting on their hands/face/hair.  

The Chinese have publicly admitted to 3,000+ healthcare professionals coming down with it.  A Japanese quarantine officer who went onto the cruise ship came down with it.   A bunch of Iranian officials came down with it (and Iran has had somewhat recent experience with chemical/biological weapons thanks to their little spats with Iraq).  These are people that, in theory have access to areas for disinfecting and trained co-workers to help with disinfecting, that Joe B. Smith from Pflugerville won't have.  And Joe B. Smith is not going to be wearing full PPE either.

If you're going to be serious about it, be very clean-shaven (sorry, no beards, you might get away with a goatee at most), have plenty of gloves, have an area away from your house, and be prepared to go through a lot of clothing.

I don't want to discourage people from doing the mask thing, but being the father of two young kids, I have come to realize just how often people touch their faces/clothes, and if you come into contact with somebody who's actively got the virus, the virus particles that the mask can keep you from inhaling are still going to end up on your cloths, hands, neck, hair, etc.

Fatigue leads to complacency and mistakes. I've done nuclear decontamination and hazmat chemical cleanup. It's easy to fuck up.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Seems to me that folks stocking up on canned food, water and toilet paper aren't really thinking this through.  From what I've read:

- The virus can survive on contaminated surfaces for a long time (up to a month?).

- If you catch the virus, get sick and recover, you don't have immunity from a relapse (or getting sick a second time)

- Getting a second infection is carries risk of death from heart failure.

Seems to me that everyone should be stocking up on disinfectants to clean surface areas in the house frequently and thoroughly should anyone in the house get sick.

yes absolutely stock up on Clorox wipes and straight clorox, Windex etc... medicine and personal items for 90 days, propane/propane cook top.  stop touching face

6 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Clorox bleach becomes your best friend. 

But what is the process?  Are you bleaching all your mail/packages?  Dunk station for all your non-perishables?  Drop station for your clothing with a bleach scrub before going into the house?  Im not shitting on the idea, just genuinely curious how people think this will function.  If this thing lives on surfaces as long as they say it does, masks are barely a band-aid to the problem.  

8 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Yeah, you know that seems like a good idea, but how effective is it? 

It's not. Checking the temps may be a well-intentioned effort but it's worthless. You can have the virus without having a temp. 

Sure, you can have it without having a temp.  In fact, the majority of people most likely don't get too sick (based on cases in the West so far).  As a very high-profile example on the temp thing - take that interview I posted several pages back, with that dumb bitch and her husband (the Philly fans) who lied about having a negative test (they didn't have their results) before getting on the charter, and then developing the fever while being repatriated back to the US.

Say that was a normal flight - they come down with a fever on the 18-hour flight (or however long) to the US.  They get checked at the airport as they leave the plane, have a fever (they aren't quarantining people who are below 99, and maybe not even low 99's).  They are quarantined on the spot, and the people who were directly around them are notified and tracked.  You've just taken two spreaders out of circulation, and hopefully you caught them before they had exposed too many people - people at work, family members, people at the grocery store, church etc.

8 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

This whole thing is also an interesting study in marginal costs. How much are we willing to spend to eliminate every single chance of infection? (never mind that it can't be done)

And as you can imagine, I don't think it was negligent to not take the temp of every single person who came over from the Pacific. 

You are focusing on the trees.  Step back and look at the forest.   The fact that you are bringing up the cost of and the chances should make you realize that this is not about eliminating every possible transmission vector.

This is more about making sure that our healthcare system isn't overwhelmed, by trying to eliminate the low-hanging fruit (people with obvious symptoms that need to be tested and tracked).

Austin has around a million people in and round it.  We only have around 5,000 or so hospital beds according to the Chamber of Commerce, and a big chunk of those are in use already (accidents, serious illnesses, etc.).  With a hospitalization rate of around 10-20%, it would not take many people at all to completely overwhelm a city like Austin.

Let's talk about Houston - around 20,000 hospital beds for an area with 4 million people.

Are you seeing where this becomes a problem?

• Like 2

Just now, TXSG8R said:

But what is the process?  Are you bleaching all your mail/packages?  Dunk station for all your non-perishables?  Drop station for your clothing with a bleach scrub before going into the house?  Im not shitting on the idea, just genuinely curious how people think this will function.  If this thing lives on surfaces as long as they say it does, masks are barely a band-aid to the problem.  

Spray bottles. Soak anything to be eaten raw. And what Atom said about masks is true. If really worried get some gore-tex coveralls for outside. saves your clothes. Get the reusables and pay a bit extra. 

2 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

The virus is most similar to SARS which in general is spread from respiratory droplets and has poor survivability on surfaces. Wouldn’t worry about packages unless the mailman sneezed on it. Spray with 70% alcohol, or 10% bleach and and wipe.  

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Austin has around a million people in and round it.  We only have around 5,000 or so hospital beds according to the Chamber of Commerce, and a big chunk of those are in use already (accidents, serious illnesses, etc.).  With a hospitalization rate of around 10-20%, it would not take many people at all to completely overwhelm a city like Austin.

Let's talk about Houston - around 20,000 hospital beds for an area with 4 million people.

Are you seeing where this becomes a problem?

At this point Schools become usable. Not like little Johnny is going anyways. Now think about the people it will take to staff these places. 

30 minutes ago, davidg said:

Can we get a ruling on this oil?  Are we talking vegetable oil or maybe an EEVO?  Or is like a motor oil?  10W-30 or a straight 30W?  Do you get extra protection if you spring for the Royal Purple synthetic?

Oilcan Harry's oil

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away