Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is where I'm at.  We are picking up some extra stuff over the next few days, not because of a zombie apocalypse, but because if things get bad, we can cut down on our exposure simply by staying in and not having to go to the grocery store or whatever.

And I think some people are doing the prepping thing wrong - we are buying stuff that we would normally buy and use, but just doing a month or two's worth.  It's stuff we will consume/use with no problems going forward.

We normally keep around a week's worth of stuff anyways (hurricane habit from her being raised in Houston and me spending a lot of time there in high school and later on).  

Right there with you, but we also picked up some non-perishables like rice and beans that we might not normally use, but can easily use later if needed.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Is that hospitalization rate artificially high because of the severity/misreporting of wuhan cases, or is it that high across the board?  We might not know until it runs through a population that can track cases, won’t propagandize the numbers, and has a fairly healthy populace to begin with. 
South Korea?  Japan?  USA?

Yeah, there is a lot of noise in the current data, what with the change of diagnostic criteria. 

32 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Well yeah, but in the absence of a vaccine, it's only luck that 20% become infected rather than 50%. My point is that if there is enough of the virus to get 20% infected, then it's open season for everyone. By next year we're all gonna have been exposed. That assumption may be incorrect. But the genie is out of the bottle, imo. 

Yeah, that isn't true. You can absolutely lower the infection rate by taking precautions.

20 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

I think you should care about how many people will die from tobacco use. 

Because if they are smoking, then there is second-hand smoke (or even third-hand, if you are of that ilk). 

People die from that. It's a slower death, to be sure, and doesn't raise the alarm bells like covid-19. 

I give a flying fuck about tobacco deaths b/c those deaths are preventable for the smoker and for those who live/are around the smoker. 

Sure, they are preventable, but a bunch of smokers going to the grocery store or a restaurant or church are not going to cough and infect dozens of people with lung cancer on the spot, and then 10-20% of those people are in the hospital a week later, all the while the rest are spreading the lunch cancer to others.

You're right, it's for another thread, but our healthcare system is built to handle the long-term issues like smoking-related problems, but it's not really able to handle surges in rapidly spreading illnesses that require hospitalization for 2-3 weeks, for a decent chunk of people who come down with it.

Pay attention to South Korea and Italy for how relatively modern healthcare systems are able to cope, and/or keep the spread down.

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

This always cracks me up.  Do you really think a war is going to break out?  That you’re going to be holed up in your defensive bunker, fending off a marauding army for months on end?

Better safe than sorry dude.  But, by all means, you do you.  

22 minutes ago, NoName said:

South Korea had 3 infected and 0 deaths from initial SARS in 03/04

per Johns Hopkins dashboard here they are currently at 1261 infected and 12 deaths

"very very low relative to other health issues"

Nothing in that contradicted my assertion of "very, very low (deaths) relative to other health issues". 

Maybe I missed it. There are, iirc, fewer than 3,000 deaths. I think you may have overlooked the "other health issues" part?

1 minute ago, Asithappens said:

Yeah, there is a lot of noise in the current data, what with the change of diagnostic criteria. 

Where there is not a lot of noise is the number of makeshift/temporary hospitals China is quickly bringing on line.   By last week, they had already ramped up over 13,000 new beds and they've got dozens more hospitals being built or coming online right now   The numbers keeping changing (going up even as of today), but they are talking about tens of thousands more beds in the next few weeks.

Now we can discuss whether those are true hospitals or simply incubation camps/quarantine camps, but they are referring to them as hospitals, and they are not slowing down in building them.   It seems like a long time ago when we were amazed that they were building three one thousand-bed hospitals in less than a week or so, and since then, it's been over a dozen new ones, and nobody even cares now.

8 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Any recommendations on MRE's?

They are expensive, and overkill for what you need, unless you are going to retreat to the country and/or go tent or car-camping.  And you better be careful, because not all MREs are equal, and you and/or your kids will discover many that suck.  And you probably won't use a lot of what's in them.

You are better off buying bulk goods of stuff you already eat.   There's no real threat of losing power or water.

And avoid buying buckets of food.

spacer.png

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 4

I haven't kept up with this thread other than to read about the last page.  Are there really some of you "prepping" for this as if you are going to holed up in your home for an extended period of time? I'm not making fun, but am genuinely curious.

I already have a freezer full of meat. I doubled up on non-perishables and stuff like toilet paper, dog food, etc., mainly to avoid what will likely be a clusterfuck at the stores if it even looks like it might start spreading. I just remember people's insane behavior when it came to gasoline during Harvey and groceries during several warnings of it being below freezing for more than three hours. 

• Like 2

The main problem will be normalcy disruption. For example, the guy who used to deliver bread to your grocery store might get sick, or elect not to go to work, or the person who picks vegetables in California decides to not to go work. Magnify that by thousands, and the normal process of goods and services will be disrupted due to self-quaranties and people getting sick. 

Having a little extra food isn't a bad idea. It might be overkill. Who knows. But no one wants to be part of the HEB panic. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

I haven't kept up with this thread other than to read about the last page.  Are there really some of you "prepping" for this as if you are going to holed up in your home for an extended period of time? I'm not making fun, but am genuinely curious.

Agreeing with a few others. I do anticipate widespread issues. I do not want to add to the problem, so limiting exposure by advance buying food stuff I usually use is my approach. 

Just now, Deej said:

I already have a freezer full of meat. I doubled up on non-perishables and stuff like toilet paper, dog food, etc., mainly to avoid what will likely be a clusterfuck at the stores if it even looks like it might start spreading. I just remember people's insane behavior when it came to gasoline during Harvey and groceries during several warnings of it being below freezing for more than three hours. 

This is where I am at as well. Just like every apocalypse , it's your fellow man you have to prep the most for, not the actual disaster.

9 minutes ago, Hate said:

What @Neonmoon said, it's not about the apocalypse, it's about either avoiding other people if it hits our area (don't have to go to the grocery store), or making sure that you don't suffer from the ripple effects of things not being delivered, etc.   I moved a dentist appointment up, along with a kid's checkup.  There's a few other things like that, that I can do, that should things pick up the pace in the next few weeks or month or two, I won't be severely impacted.

HEB closed?  Not going to be a problem for me.

If I didn't have kids, I might have a more cavalier attitude about it.  Or if I didn't live in a city full of international travelers and the alternate medicine crowd (overlaps with the anti-vaxxers), and was instead in the country, I would also have a more cavalier attitude about it as well.

But I know that when we get our first case in Austin, things will go to shit fast as far as places like the grocery stores.  A little snow and ice in the forecast, and the store shelves are emptied.

Edited by atomheartbevo

I’m young and pretty healthy but I do have an autoimmune condition and take medicine that both technically make me immunocompromised. Not sure if that’s truly a concern with this virus because other common illnesses (cold, flu) don’t seem to be a significant problem for me.

Same, although not really "young." In fact I'm sitting here right now getting my Remicade infusion while typing this. And I do tend to catch colds more frequently than others. So I'm guessing I should start making final arrangements. I have enjoyed my time here. Vaya con dios, mi amigos. It's been real.
4c2a807e78e56cb9ae56fdb2143dc796.jpg

24 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Nothing in that contradicted my assertion of "very, very low (deaths) relative to other health issues". 

Maybe I missed it. There are, iirc, fewer than 3,000 deaths. I think you may have overlooked the "other health issues" part?

the flu is what a ton of people with this stance generally compare it to, i shared the facility info for this (1 in 25) vs flu (1 in 1000)

generally, other health issues have been around for a long time. we know generally how to best address and handle individuals who come in with influenza a/b, pneumonia, ebola, marburg, HIV, arborovirus, west nile, etc. there are protocols that exist for how to best treat and address these viruses. 

coronavirus is not quite like that, it is "new" all things considered, there is no recommended antiviral treatment, there is no vaccination, there is no well disseminated best practice for how to conduct (long term) treatment in the US and the healthcare system in the US in general is not set up to give long term care in the way many need it. 

you are absolutely correct, the number of mortalities from COVID-19/CoV-2 is nowhere near the total count for heart disease, cancer, stroke, suicide, etc. 

that is not the right way to look at this situation, or the situation around any other virus like this, but i am guessing you already know that. 

ignore it all you want, but this is much larger and different than other human coronaviruses (SARS, MERS, etc) in literally every way it can be measured - spread by number of counties, total deaths, total infected, rate of spread, symptom onset speed, secondary transmission spread and response within China or globally.

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

I’m a physician who interacts with 40-50 patients on a daily basis. I’m assuming this will spread throughout the U.S. within the next 1-2 months, and based on my high degree of interaction with other people, it seems very likely that I will be exposed.

I’m young and pretty healthy but I do have an autoimmune condition and take medicine that both technically make me immunocompromised. Not sure if that’s truly a concern with this virus because other common illnesses (cold, flu) don’t seem to be a significant problem for me.

But I do wonder if the virus begins popping up in my city, at what point a nonessential medical practice should close to limit the spread. I’d hate to be responsible for transmitting it to 10 new people daily for an appointment that could probably wait a few months.

I’m hoping for the scenario where it either burns out as the weather warms up, or for some reason or another it turns out to be much less virulent in our country.

yep.

46 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'm just going to use a PAPR from work and switch all my light bulbs out for black lights to kill the virus, so I should be good.

If you are going for the black light you gotta get some posters.  I won one like this bad boy at the county fair in 1979.  Mom was not impressed but it hung in my room for years.

866622664e2ed5fb20b039f7760fb86f.jpg

• Like 1

Coronavirus clinical trials article: https://www.statnews.com/pharmalot/2020/02/19/coronavirus-clinical-trials-china/

The coronavirus sweeping across China has triggered a burst of research activity aimed at finding a salve for the infectious disease, prompting more than 120 clinical trials that have either gotten underway or are planned in coming weeks, according to new data.

As of Wednesday, 124 studies have either commenced or are expected to do so shortly, with all but three taking place in China. At the end of last week, the tally stood at 70 trials as the Chinese government and public health officials from elsewhere explored different avenues for combating the coronavirus, according to the Trial Trove database run by Informa Pharma Intelligence.

“As of this moment, you’re looking at 40,000-plus patients being targeted,” said Jake Mathon, an analyst at Informa. “It’s an amazingly fast response and the sheer number of patients involved is pretty staggering.” He noted that the number of patients involved in the trials range from as few as 10 people to as many as 20,000, with a mean of about 339 subjects.

and

Nearly half of the 124 clinical trials — or 60, to be exact — will test undisclosed antiviral medications and another 47 will determine whether so-called natural products can combat the coronavirus. Mathon explained these are various Chinese remedies that are not pharmacological products. And HIV medications are the focus of more than a dozen trials.

Edited by NoName

25 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

What @Neonmoon said, it's not about the apocalypse, it's about either avoiding other people if it hits our area (don't have to go to the grocery store), or making sure that you don't suffer from the ripple effects of things not being delivered, etc.   I moved a dentist appointment up, along with a kid's checkup.  There's a few other things like that, that I can do, that should things pick up the pace in the next few weeks or month or two, I won't be severely impacted.

HEB closed?  Not going to be a problem for me.

If I didn't have kids, I might have a more cavalier attitude about it.  Or if I didn't live in a city full of international travelers and the alternate medicine crowd (overlaps with the anti-vaxxers), and was instead in the country, I would also have a more cavalier attitude about it as well.

But I know that when we get our first case in Austin, things will go to shit fast as far as places like the grocery stores.  A little snow and ice in the forecast, and the store shelves are emptied.

One concern I have is for those in rural areas. One might think that they are at least risk, and that is true in terms of exposure, but with respect to other concerns they have problems with lack of access to care. Country folk are more social than people think, and once exposed, this virus takes over pretty quickly. It might not spread through a sparse area, but those little towns of 400-1000 people may find it hard to get to a doctor.

34 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Same, although not really "young." In fact I'm sitting here right now getting my Remicade infusion while typing this. And I do tend to catch colds more frequently than others. So I'm guessing I should start making final arrangements. I have enjoyed my time here. Vaya con dios, mi amigos. It's been real.

I tried the Remicade infusion as well, but it doesn't take away the herpes no matter how much they say it will. 

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The main problem will be normalcy disruption. For example, the guy who used to deliver bread to your grocery store might get sick, or elect not to go to work, or the person who picks vegetables in California decides to not to go work. Magnify that by thousands, and the normal process of goods and services will be disrupted due to self-quaranties and people getting sick. 

Having a little extra food isn't a bad idea. It might be overkill. Who knows. But no one wants to be part of the HEB panic. 

There can't be panic if its not open. 

I know someone who knows someone who is very high up in the Navy.. Ran into him at 31 Flavors last night.. According to him its going to hit the US and be really bad.. May need to start stockpiling on basics before the frenzy happens, which he says will be in the the next 30-60 days.. 

4 minutes ago, texashorne said:

I know someone who knows someone who is very high up in the Navy.. Ran into him at 31 Flavors last night.. According to him its going to hit the US and be really bad.. May need to start stockpiling on basics before the frenzy happens, which he says will be in the the next 30-60 days.. 

Thank you, Simone. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, texashorne said:

By him, I assume you mean the friend of the Naval Officer. Sounds like a good source. Thanks. That's all you gotta say, scariest environment imaginable.

59 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Dude. Load up your boat and drop anchor a few miles off of Catalina.  By the time it’s all over, the job market will be amazing. 

• Like 3

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away