Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

44 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

One concern I have is for those in rural areas. One might think that they are at least risk, and that is true in terms of exposure, but with respect to other concerns they have problems with lack of access to care. Country folk are more social than people think, and once exposed, this virus takes over pretty quickly. It might not spread through a sparse area, but those little towns of 400-1000 people may find it hard to get to a doctor.

This is exactly my situation.  There is not the redundancy of people or services.  There are like 4 plow guys keeping the county roads open.  I talked to one of them the other day after we had a big snow storm with heavy winds causing significant drifts.  He said he started plowing at 7am and didn't stop until 5:30 AM the next morning and that all of them worked like that.

Now take 1 or 2 of those people off the shift due to a new disease and we get a similar storm...

My wife has already told me she thinks my meat would be nicely marbled.

Found this info on natural antiviral inhibitors.  Most of these items are cheap considering the common man won't be getting the best antiviral meds.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4032839/table/T1/?report=objectonly

Bupleurum root

Wild Indigo Root

Myricetin

Hyuttunia cordata water extract

Edited by 2300 Nueces

1 hour ago, texashorne said:

I know someone who knows someone who is very high up in the Navy.. Ran into him at 31 Flavors last night.. According to him its going to hit the US and be really bad.. May need to start stockpiling on basics before the frenzy happens, which he says will be in the the next 30-60 days.. 

Lol.

Next time you talk to him see if you can get him to finally find those WMDs. 

38 minutes ago, BTW said:

Per that map, sub-saharan Africa seems to be the place to be.

Real talk, closely monitoring the developments and considering canceling my trip to France in June if things don't look like they are improving.

almost guaranteed to be under reported or incorrectly reported just based on the number of Chinese nationals going back and forth...they invested something like ~$300 billion there between 05 and 19, ~$66b in the last 3 years and ~$32b in 2018

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

There must be some important minerals there.

And Donkeys. They Rival Nuevo Laredo. 

Growing demand for donkey meat and skin in China is causing a sharp decline in the animals in Kenya. Animal rights campaigners warn that donkeys could soon disappear in the east African country, where they play a vital role as beasts of burden, especially in rural areas.

Since 2014, four abattoirs have been set up in Kenya to meet demand. The meat is considered a delicacy in China and the skins are processed to create ejiao, a traditional remedy used to treat everything from anaemia to dizziness. However, according to a recent report by the African Network for Animal Welfare (ANAW), the slaughterhouses are operating at below half their capacity.

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Growing demand for donkey meat and skin in China is causing a sharp decline in the animals in Kenya. Animal rights campaigners warn that donkeys could soon disappear in the east African country, where they play a vital role as beasts of burden, especially in rural areas.

Since 2014, four abattoirs have been set up in Kenya to meet demand. The meat is considered a delicacy in China and the skins are processed to create ejiao, a traditional remedy used to treat everything from anaemia to dizziness. However, according to a recent report by the African Network for Animal Welfare (ANAW), the slaughterhouses are operating at below half their capacity.

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Not sure if serious, and I don't care. Funny stuff.
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Goredho said:

This is exactly my situation.  There is not the redundancy of people or services.  There are like 4 plow guys keeping the county roads open.  I talked to one of them the other day after we had a big snow storm with heavy winds causing significant drifts.  He said he started plowing at 7am and didn't stop until 5:30 AM the next morning and that all of them worked like that.

Now take 1 or 2 of those people off the shift due to a new disease and we get a similar storm...

My wife has already told me she thinks my meat would be nicely marbled.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, BTW said:

Per that map, sub-saharan Africa seems to be the place to be.

Real talk, closely monitoring the developments and considering canceling my trip to France in June if things don't look like they are improving.

Unlikely. The Chinese have strong relationships with most of Africa and lots of Chinese workers are in many of those countries.

4 minutes ago, Parliament said:
16 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Not sure if serious, and I don't care. Funny stuff.

Nope... 

Abattoirs in Kenya will be banned from slaughtering donkeys from next month, the agriculture minister has said. 

The East African nation legalised trade in donkey meat and hide in 2012 to meet growing demand in China. 

Minister Peter Munya said the decision had been a mistake as it had caused the donkey population to fall.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-51629660

6 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Nope... 

Abattoirs in Kenya will be banned from slaughtering donkeys from next month, the agriculture minister has said. 

The East African nation legalised trade in donkey meat and hide in 2012 to meet growing demand in China. 

Minister Peter Munya said the decision had been a mistake as it had caused the donkey population to fall.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-51629660

The fuck is wrong with China?  Honestly.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Found this info on natural antiviral inhibitors.  Most of these items are cheap considering the common man won't be getting the best antiviral meds.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4032839/table/T1/?report=objectonly

Bupleurum root

Wild Indigo Root

Myricetin

Fuck it. Bought a supply of each. Already had the Myricetin, but bought more. 

Cozumel just told this ship to fuck off. I was really curious whether Mexican officials were going to be more  concerned about a possible contagion or losing tourist dollars. Glad they did the right thing.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/cruise-ship-msc-meraviglia-coronavirus-concerns

p.s. fuck all cruise ships and cruise ship people

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Jesus tapdancing Christ China, get it together man. Donkey meat?

Where exactly are people seeing that this virus has an exceptionally long survivability on surfaces or objects? That's generally not how most viruses work and from what I can tell, how coronaviruses typically work.

I saw a reference to a paper where they claim under the right conditions (low temp <40F / high humidity >50%) that a coronavirus could live up to 9 days on a surface, but that seems like a fairly extreme scenario. Like the flu, most of the transmission seems to be preventable through general hygiene measures like frequent hand washing. 

1 hour ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Bupleurum root

Wild Indigo Root

Myricetin

Gottdamn, that Coxsack virus sounds even worse!

macroeconomic political system discussion is impossible to separate from pure political discussion and therefore we do not have a forum on the surl where the following can be discorched.

++++

U.S. Hospitals - Statistics & Facts

Published by Statista Research Department, Nov 29, 2019

Hospitals are one of the most important cornerstones of every modern health system. Despite this fact, the total number of hospitals in the United States has constantly decreased over the past few decades. In 2017, most of U.S. hospitals were non-profit facilities, while the rest was divided in nearly equal parts into for-profit or state/local government hospitals. In the same year, all U.S. hospitals provided approximately 931 thousand beds.

The percentage of persons with a hospital stay has been slightly decreasing since 1997. As expected, older people aged 65 and over are the group with the highest percentage of hospitalizations in the United States. The average length of a stay in a community hospital also fell from seven days in 1993 to 5.4 days in 2017. Furthermore, the total number of hospital admissions increased from 33.2 million in 1993 to a record high of 37.5 million in 2008, but dropped to 36.5 million in 2017.

Hospital costs make up a large share of total health costs and have more than quadrupled since 1990. More than one third of over three trillion U.S. dollars of total national health expenditures are attributed to hospital care costs. On the other hand, the economic impact of U.S. hospitals should not be underestimated. In 2016 for example, community hospitals contributed a total of three trillion U.S. dollars to the U.S. economy through direct and ripple effects. Over the last decade, employment in hospitals has increased steadily. Today, over seven million people are employed at hospitals in the United States.

All in all, hospitals in the United States generate a total revenue of over one trillion U.S. dollars. The Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio, is one of the top hospitals based on gross revenue and net patient revenue. Other top grossing hospitals in the U.S. are, for example, the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Presbyterian and the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. Among hospital operators, the Hospital Corporation of America from Nashville, Tennessee, is one of the largest.

From the consumer's point of view, U.S. hospitals have a positive image. According to a Statista survey, 90 percent of Americans who had hospital treatment within the preceding five years were satisfied. Almost 50 percent were even very satisfied. Furthermore, 70 percent of Americans think the quality of hospital care in the United States is better than in other developed countries.

SIAP, but what are the details on people that have gotten the coronavirus "twice"?  Do experts think these people actually were done with the virus, and then they caught it again from someone else, or is it where someone may feel much better but it's just the illness returning?  If it's the former, that's scary as hell if you fail to build up immunity to something this contagious.

I also feel that there is under-reported info on what segments of the population are dying. Is it older & very young people like we see with the flu, or also "young" adults like what happened with the 1918 Spanish flu?  Or does it seem completely random?  This was the odd death rate with the 1918 flu that produced a W shape as opposed to the normal flu U shape:

330px-W_curve.png

1918 US flu deaths per 100K people from each age range, according to wikipedia. 

30 minutes ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

My doctor told me to stock up on Elderberry as studies have shown it effective at limiting the effects of coronavirus strains. I have not taken any of it yet but figure there will be a run on it soon.

St. Germain Liqueur is made from Elderberries, so Mrs. Brat will undoubtably be favoring her French 75 cocktails instead of the Cosmopolitans.

Have a couple of .750 liters of that repulsive stuff in the likker stash.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

You're wrong here.  The cruise ship outbreak was caused by a person who was on the PRIOR cruise and had already gotten off the ship and was asymptomatic while on the ship.  The people on the next cruise then started getting sick.

That's because it's apparent you can be asymptomatic, and be a carrier. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away