Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 hours ago, bernorange said:

So, I read the paper (and a few associated papers)...

It's the type of journal report where it is only an exercise in pulling literature references to other papers to compile the data (no experiments). In a table, they reference the persistence at various temperatures and surfaces reported. 

Room temperature persistence across MERS, SARS, human coronovirus (and a few others) vary wildly. For instance:

• SARS : 1h to 2d on a disposable gown (depending on the amount deposited)
  • SARS : 4d on glass, 5d on metal, 4d on wood
  • etc..

But if you actually pull some of those reports, what you see is that while there is some amount of infectious agent, there's almost a 1x reduction in the first day, and at the limit of detection at 5 days (on teflon, PVC, ceramic, glass, rubber, stainless steel). 

So, 9d is a total outlier in the literature, and even at several days out the reduction in infectious agent is significant. It's there, but diminished. Importantly, this is different from the normal influenza virus which survives only a matter of hours in droplets and surfaces. A different beast, for sure. 

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Fuck it. Bought a supply of each. Already had the Myricetin, but bought more. 

Be a little careful. The first one on the list, I'm pretty sure, inhibits T-cells. One of the other ones is used as a steroid and male enhancement product for donkeys (JK, it is used by body builders).

36 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

St. Germain Liqueur is made from Elderberries, so Mrs. Brat will undoubtably be favoring her French 75 cocktails instead of the Cosmopolitans.

Have a couple of .750 liters of that repulsive stuff in the likker stash.

That stuff is nasty. HenryJames' mom smelt of elderberries and you couldn't get within 4ft of her without being repulsed.

Just now, MissingInAction said:

We laugh but we know our own religi-tards will be pulling this shit all over the US.

They are at least doing something that alters the environment. As opposed to believing faith and prayer alone will do the job. 

this isn’t the thread, but it isn’t political so hopefully I don’t take too much flak:  when prayer doesn’t work, people say it’s gods plan. So what’s the point of prayer if god already has a plan?

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They are at least doing something that alters the environment. As opposed to believing faith and prayer alone will do the job. 

this isn’t the thread, but it isn’t political so hopefully I don’t take too much flak:  when prayer doesn’t work, people say it’s gods plan. So what’s the point of prayer if god already has a plan?

His plan is more like a Gantt chart.

• Like 1

Ready.Gov now has a Coronavirus get prepared page.  I guess the stay physically active means will have to invite some womenz to the bunker party. Dammit, off to HEB for more cans of beans and some lube. 

Pandemic

Before a Pandemic

• Store a two week supply of water and food.
  • Periodically check your regular prescription drugs to ensure a continuous supply in your home.
  • Have any nonprescription drugs and other health supplies on hand, including pain relievers, stomach remedies, cough and cold medicines, fluids with electrolytes, and vitamins.
  • Get copies and maintain electronic versions of health records from doctors, hospitals, pharmacies and other sources and store them, for personal reference. Get help accessing electronic health records.
  • Talk with family members and loved ones about how they would be cared for if they got sick, or what will be needed to care for them in your home.

During a Pandemic

Limit the Spread of Germs and Prevent Infection.

• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick too.
  • Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. It may prevent those around you from getting sick.
  • Washing your hands often will help protect you from germs.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
  • Practice other good health habits. Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food.

Associated Content

Edited by InkaUtexas

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

And Donkeys. They Rival Nuevo Laredo. 

Growing demand for donkey meat and skin in China is causing a sharp decline in the animals in Kenya. Animal rights campaigners warn that donkeys could soon disappear in the east African country, where they play a vital role as beasts of burden, especially in rural areas.

Since 2014, four abattoirs have been set up in Kenya to meet demand. The meat is considered a delicacy in China and the skins are processed to create ejiao, a traditional remedy used to treat everything from anaemia to dizziness. However, according to a recent report by the African Network for Animal Welfare (ANAW), the slaughterhouses are operating at below half their capacity.

Donkeys?  That's....asinine.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Sooo... track down everything shes touched and everywhere she has been for the last 2 weeks.... lol

Yeah....that was always how this was going to break free here.  All it takes is one infected person getting out and about in high-traffic areas (an airport, Koreatown), and the virus has totally broken containment.  Effectively a 100% chance that the virus is now free-range in the LA area.

Yeah....that was always how this was going to break free here.  All it takes is one infected person getting out and about in high-traffic areas (an airport, Koreatown), and the virus has totally broken containment.  Effectively a 100% chance that the virus is now free-range in the LA area.

It's been real, y'all. Peace out.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Effectively a 100% chance that the virus is now free-range in the LA area.

LA? This woman was handing food and drinks to people who dispersed all over the country/world.

Edited by Casual Encounter
Women, woman. The difference is the trade off of fun vs. amount of maintenance.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

LA? This women was handing food and drinks to people who dispersed all over the country/world.

Agreed, but it's still likely that more passengers disembarked in LA than anywhere else....and they had contact with workers at LAX.  And she went and stayed in a hotel and wandered Koreatown.  It may be that the virus went other places, but the most favorable place is LA.

Flight attendants, man.  Y'all may recall what the man who was pretty much "patient zero" of AIDS was a promiscuous flight attendant.

1 hour ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

I have been reading a lot on the coronavirus with known deaths. Seems that nearly all are over the age of 60, 75% of them are male and have underlying health issues. Still waiting to see if it has killed in numbers healthy adult humans.

The Chinese published a study when they first had 70000 cases or so. There were no deaths in the 0 to 9 age range, and 10-19 was very low, I think one death. From 20-29 it jumped to .3% and I think it was 0.4% in the 30-39 range. After that it increased into percent ranges and hit 15% or so for 80 year olds.

Edited by RayDog

39 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We’ll know in about 2 weeks I guess

3 hours ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Found this info on natural antiviral inhibitors.  Most of these items are cheap considering the common man won't be getting the best antiviral meds.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4032839/table/T1/?report=objectonly

Bupleurum root

Wild Indigo Root

Myricetin

Hyuttunia cordata water extract

Where the hell do you get Rhinolophidae extract?

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Burning Oud? Worked so well during the plague. 

I imagine this could lead to some serious social upheaval over there if the 65 and older crowd die off.

But holy fuck, if this is what's going on, the healthcare workers are screwed, and once they are dead/dying/hospitalized themselves, I cannot imagine what the rest of the country will descend into.

Also bear in mind re: China (at least the times I have been there) they are some chain smoking mofos. It is very 1950s vibe in terms of how much they smoke (especially the 40+ age brackets). I don't doubt that has an impact on recovery etc.

They are working to make it better but their lung cancer rates are still through the roof. Add in the pollution issues across the country and I don't doubt that mortality rates (especially among olds would be high)

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away