Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Shitty Walmart on Anderson has plenty of hand sanitizer and cleaning supplies. Probably because even an end-of-the-world plague doesnt justify a trip to that Walmart. 
Costco was nuts today with a run on supplies. Walmart was chill. I think it has something to do with return policies and cash flow, although you are correct about the general customer experience.

38 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

You could have actual cases in Austin and Adler and Co. will try to keep SxSW going.  You’d have to have actual cases downtown and/or in a venue or two before they shut it down.   

that seems like an unwise position for them to take.

11 minutes ago, achooloco said:

that seems like an unwise position for them to take.

Yeah...maybe?  Would depend on the number and where the person(s) were traced to (who they contacted in Austin, etc.).  A few cases in North Austin or South Austin(‘s mom),, they won’t shut the place down.  A few cases downtown, it gets dicey.   Hell, at that point, people may just avoid it altogether anyways.  

I don’t expect anything too major in the next few weeks anyways.   I don’t think we have it contained (as proven by the new case), I think we’ve just been lucky.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

Here’s a conspiracy theory:  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

It’s supposed to be updated Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 4pm.  Yesterday, they said in the briefing they had just tested 400 samples the night before.   But it’s not on the website.  Unless they are testing the same 400+ people again.   

21 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Everyone, calm down...it will be ok.

If it’s any consolation... official numbers say less than 80,000 people were infected in Wuhan, the city at the epicenter of all this. Realistic estimates put that number well over 100,000. I say fuck that, let’s take the estimated number and x10 it. Let’s say there’s over 1,000,000 people infected in Wuhan. 

That still means “only” about 9% of the city of Wuhan got infected with this thing. Scary for sure, but perspective can’t be lost. Obviously the number of cases will still grow, but 9% in the city where this was most out of control isn’t too bad.

Edited by Helobious

55 minutes ago, Helobious said:

If it’s any consolation... official numbers say less than 80,000 people were infected in Wuhan, the city at the epicenter of all this. Realistic estimates put that number well over 100,000. I say fuck that, let’s take the estimated number and x10 it. Let’s say there’s over 1,000,000 people infected in Wuhan. 

That still means “only” about 9% of the city of Wuhan got infected with this thing. Scary for sure, but perspective can’t be lost. Obviously the number of cases will still grow, but 9% in the city where this was most out of control isn’t too bad.

Except that 5 million people left Wuhan before the quarantine started, and probably half of those who stayed were infected based on the number of cremations being performed. 

When I was out having lunch 2 hours ago I saw very few Korean tourists,  so the number coming in this weekend appear down. I will be able to judge it better when I walk around tonight. With any luck they are deciding to stay home on their own. Duterte has not been willing to suspend  travel from Korea yet.

I saw an ex gf yesterday  and she was saying how much she misses boom-boom. I asked her that I thought she was being barfined. She said yes, but only Koreans and they are too small.

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

So the new California case was in two hospitals and was there for a week or more before they were tested for the virus.

Got to wonder how many other cases like this are happening right now.

Statement from the hospital.

50867da24e6586e5d54b589c8bd3adef.jpg

Girl, there are rules in this thread. No Politics. This is for stupid crap and updates. 

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

So the new California case was in two hospitals and was there for a week or more before they were tested for the virus.

Got to wonder how many other cases like this are happening right now.

Statement from the hospital.

50867da24e6586e5d54b589c8bd3adef.jpg

This is the single most significant post in this thread to this point.  I validated the info here https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/coronavirus-patient-and-precautions-uc-davis-medical-center.

Everyone treating the patient at the first hospital was exposed.  And it is unknown who the patient caught it from locally.  Watch for new cases popping up in Northern California.

Also consider that this information surfaces on the day our President had a press conference to address public concerns about the virus and the day after the CDC warns us to be prepared for a disruption to daily life.

Shit’s about to get real real quick.

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

Everyone treating the patient at the first hospital was exposed.  And it is unknown who the patient caught it from locally.  Watch for new cases popping up in Northern California.

As I’ve stated previously, I highly doubt this is an isolated case. People all over the country are likely receiving the same treatment. 

The horse has been out of the barn and eating the crops and shitting everywhere for weeks now. 

I hope the extremely limited reports that it seems to be non fatal to children are accurate, as my two year old’s health is a blinking non stop fucking danger sign in my head right now. What a terrible, powerless feeling as a society. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

This is the single most significant post in this thread to this point.  I validated the info here https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/coronavirus-patient-and-precautions-uc-davis-medical-center.

Also consider that this information surfaces on the day our President had a press conference to address public concerns about the virus and the day after the CDC warns us to be prepared for a disruption to daily life.

Shit’s about to get real real quick.

As I posted in politics. If there was a local cluster of 20, in the time she has been intubated it is now 160. If 100 it is now 800. 

Assuming 6 or more clusters in the US there will be between 100,000 and 1,000,000 infected in 3 weeks. A month or so later, everybody.

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The horse has been out of the barn and eating the crops and shitting everywhere for weeks now. 

I hope the extremely limited reports that it seems to be non fatal to children are accurate, as my two year old’s health is a blinking non stop fucking danger sign in my head right now. What a terrible, powerless feeling as a society. 

Yeah, we have a 3.5 year old and a 5 month old. I'm just hoping it stays back long enough to get another month or two in there for the little one.

• Like 6

As I posted in politics. If there was a local cluster of 20, in the time she has been intubated it is now 160. If 100 it is now 800. 

Assuming 6 or more clusters in the US there will be between 100,000 and 1,000,000 infected in 3 weeks. A month or so later, everybody.

I'm the last guy to discount your math bonafides, but that seems extreme. Doesn't this virus spread like any other? If people would learn to not spit when they talk, cover themselves whilst sneezing, and wash their hands before shoving french fries down their gullet or fingers up their nose this thing would have a tougher time jumping from host to host. Yes?

I think living amongst Asians stacked in chicken coops is clouding your perspective. My closest neighbor is more than a football field away, and I generally avoid people anyway.

I'm sure I've jinxed myself so save some wreath fund.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Smart, smart move. We won’t be nearly as intelligent. Too many people in denial. 

School is also a free babysitter that allows most parents to work. Close school and parents are screwed, so the govt has to take that  into account.

our govt won’t and realistically can’t just have one goal of keeping people healthy. They have to keep business and society moving. Especially when many Americans have less than $400 in emergency savings.

• Like 1

A coworker this week came back from traveling in Asia. When she came back, a group of us requested that our company ask her to wfh (we're an ecommerce company) for at least a week to make sure she had no symptoms. Company just flat said no.

Our company has offices on two floors, so I've simply relocated to the floor where she doesn't work for a week, maybe two. Everyone else who requested she not come in just accepted her coming back and stayed at their desks right next to her.

I've got a 2 and a 4 year old at home. No way in hell I'm risking anything I don't have to.
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

School is also a free babysitter that allows most parents to work. Close school and parents are screwed, so the govt has to take that  into account.

our govt won’t and realistically can’t just have one goal of keeping people healthy. They have to keep business and society moving. Especially when many Americans have less than $400 in emergency savings.

Yeah man, I get it. No one said leading in these scenarios is easy. But I’m pretty sure Japan also has people with low savings as well as households where both parents work. 

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Aside from the $400, your typical grocery store carries three days inventory, add maybe another week’s worth at DCs and maybe a smattering upstream in transit from packers etc and shit gets real, really quick if food supply chain gets dorked up. 

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah...maybe?  Would depend on the number and where the person(s) were traced to (who they contacted in Austin, etc.).  A few cases in North Austin or South Austin(‘s mom),, they won’t shut the place down.  A few cases downtown, it gets dicey.   Hell, at that point, people may just avoid it altogether anyways.  

I don’t expect anything too major in the next few weeks anyways.   I don’t think we have it contained (as proven by the new case), I think we’ve just been lucky.  

I’ll bet money that the number of cases between now and the 13 in Austin and Texas will make postponement the right choice. Either way, good luck to all. If the NorCal hospital is any indication, our fuck ups are gonna make this way worse than it should be 

1 minute ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

A coworker this week came back from traveling in Asia. When she came back, a group of us requested that our company ask her to wfh (we're an ecommerce company) for at least a week to make sure she had no symptoms. Company just flat said no.

Our company has offices on two floors, so I've simply relocated to the floor where she doesn't work for a week, maybe two. Everyone else who requested she not come in just accepted her coming back and stayed at their desks right next to her.

I've got a 2 and a 4 year old at home. No way in hell I'm risking anything I don't have to.

Yeah. I have the ability to wfh as well. But my wife doesn’t and she works at a school. Hence my earlier comments praying that the low risk of child mortality are accurate, because at this point everything feels like fait accompli. 

On 1/23/2020 at 7:32 PM, BLKNSTY said:

Any stock plays people seeing?

Alpha Pro Tech (APT)
Lakeland Industries (LAKE)
BioCryst (BCRX)

Are all up. APT and LAKE are protective equipment (masks, gowns). BCRX has glaidesvir that is apparently effective against coronaviruses.

got to make some money off these boomers.

From the date of this post, APT has gone from $5/share to flirting with $20 LAKE is a little more subdued with a $10 to $19 jump. 

My five $5 3/20 calls are up something 3000+% this week, still down overall this week though. Buying the dip on Monday didn’t help either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

What does the rate of growth in Wuhan and other parts of China look like?  At this point, it's been over two months.  Is it still growing exponentially or has it flattened out?

Thanks.  I'll hang up and listen.

Sadly the numbers can’t be trusted. Also can’t count people welded shut in their homes. 

• Like 5

Scratch the article I posted earlier.  This virus is different than the one studied in the paper I posted, at least partially.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3052495/coronavirus-far-more-likely-sars-bond-human-cells-scientists-say

This current version is highly infectious.  If you have any HIV-1 inhibitor drugs handy, you are sitting on a gold mine.  I have done some additional research and there are no naturally occurring compounds that can work as an inhibitor against HIV/Ebola.  Now it's up to your immune system.

How does a virus take the worst parts of Sars/Corona virus and marry it with the infectiousness of HIV/Ebola?  Something isn't right here.

30 minutes ago, BLKNSTY said:

From the date of this post, APT has gone from $5/share to flirting with $20 LAKE is a little more subdued with a $10 to $19 jump. 

My five $5 3/20 calls are up something 3000+% this week, still down overall this week though. Buying the dip on Monday didn’t help either.

Look at CODX

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:

I'm the last guy to discount your math bonafides, but that seems extreme. Doesn't this virus spread like any other? If people would learn to not spit when they talk, cover themselves whilst sneezing, and wash their hands before shoving french fries down their gullet or fingers up their nose this thing would have a tougher time jumping from host to host. Yes?

I think living amongst Asians stacked in chicken coops is clouding your perspective. My closest neighbor is more than a football field away, and I generally avoid people anyway.

I'm sure I've jinxed myself so save some wreath fund.

Consider the infected flight attendant. There is no one more likely to catch it, or to be more effective at spreading it.

Is anyone IRL telling family to stock up? I have fam who will likely die, even if they just run out of meds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2300 Nueces said:

They worry about economic collapse and we all know how governments love depressions.  Shutting everything down brings starvation etc.....  Oh well

yep. people need to work to pay mortgages and rent. people need food in the stores and it doesn't get there on its own.

I know it sounds harsh but at some level perhaps its better for the world to let this burn through the population. Any of us could be part of the unlucky. And I mean this sentiment in context that if this hangs around long enough, any precautions may not ultimately matter.  The current precautions seem more about buying time to find treatment or vaccine options.

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

yep. people need to work to pay mortgages and rent. people need food in the stores and it doesn't get there on its own.

I know it sounds harsh but at some level perhaps its better for the world to let this burn through the population. Any of us could be part of the unlucky. And I mean this sentiment in context that if this hangs around long enough, any precautions may not ultimately matter.  The current precautions seem more about buying time to find treatment or vaccine options.

We are at the point of no return.  Time to get healthy/boost immune system and come to terms with your form of afterlife.

Edited by 2300 Nueces
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Consider the infected flight attendant. There is no one more likely to catch it, or to be more effective at spreading it.

Is anyone IRL telling family to stock up? I have fam who will likely die, even if they just run out of meds.

My family with the acreage out west let me know last night they are fully stocked with food, meds, and more ammo and asked when we are arriving with their grandson. I said once a known surly poster (excluding Raydog) is infected we are there. 

• Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away