Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

It appears they’re in full cover up mode in the north bay. UC Davis trying to throw all the blame back on the CDC. Vacaville fire dept ordering to not deliver to two local hospitals but won’t say why. 

got any local news links on that? Haven't seen that story hitting nationally yet

6 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

It appears they’re in full cover up mode in the north bay. UC Davis trying to throw all the blame back on the CDC. Vacaville fire dept ordering to not deliver to two local hospitals but won’t say why. 

I think there's a chapter that starts like this in WWZ

There are indications other hospitals could be involved in the case. Kris Concepcion, fire chief and acting public information officer in Vacaville, Calif., said county officials had issued a directive not to transport any new patients to two local hospitals — NorthBay VacaValley Hospital in Vacaville and NorthBay Medical Center in nearby Fairfield. Concepcion declined to say why those orders had been given.

8 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

There are indications other hospitals could be involved in the case. Kris Concepcion, fire chief and acting public information officer in Vacaville, Calif., said county officials had issued a directive not to transport any new patients to two local hospitals — NorthBay VacaValley Hospital in Vacaville and NorthBay Medical Center in nearby Fairfield. Concepcion declined to say why those orders had been given.

Also this:

Steve Huddleston, vice president of public affairs at NorthBay Healthcare, declined to comment. He said the hospital was directing all inquiries to the California Department of Public Health.  

Hospital director refers questions about why his hospital is off-limits to the Dept of Public Health.  Seems like a pretty revealing non-answer.

4 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Another thing that scared me about WWZ was how he portrayed the outbreak going full swing. It was moderate news coverage and then absolute chaos within a few hours.

One of the hedge fund guys that is on CNBC as a contributor during Fast Money said on Monday “I think we’ll really see what this market thinks about the virus when we have some folks on Wall St come down with it”.    That’s a bit concerning 

4 minutes ago, CheesePie said:

I've been having flu like symptoms for the past few days and ate a 200mg brick of a thc gummy called "the mind eraser" last night. Feel much better today, just sayin.

Great googly moogly that's quite a dose lol. Who knew you could figuratively smoke out an illness

I learned last night that the school where my wife works has been cleaning the building out of concerns for the coronavirus for the last few weeks.  Once a week they come ine a disinfect above and beyond what they would ordinarily do.  I'm not sure if it is district wide or not, but I do know that the school she works at has more than a few Chinese nationals with kids there. 

So that nytimes corona virus goes global podcast was pretty interesting. 

Too long didnt listen: most kids will not get severe form of this because kids are trading similar corona viruses all the time. Most "colds" are corona viruses. The older you are and the more your natural immunity to those childhood viruses has waned, and the more compromised your lungs are (smokers), the more likely you are to have a severe case you can't recover from. 

Prepare your angus to stay home for a month. The US can't handle this because we dont have enough ventilators. 

Edited by B00M
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, CheesePie said:

I've been having flu like symptoms for the past few days and ate a 200mg brick of a thc gummy called "the mind eraser" last night. Feel much better today, just sayin.

Holy crap I had a 10mg one that was powerful to me a while back. I can't imagine 200mg.

3 minutes ago, B00M said:

Too long didnt listen: most kids will not get severe form of this because kids are trading similar corona viruses all the time. Most "colds" are corona viruses. The older you are and the more your natural immunity to those childhood viruses has waned, and the more compromised your lungs are (smokers), the more likely you are to have a severe case you can't recover from. 

What about parents that constantly get damn colds from their kids?  Asking for a friend.

• Like 1

Sigh. I’m going to buy some backup pet food, and a few extra dry goods/frozen veggies compared to what we’d usually keep on hand.
I think where this is going to have the biggest impact soon is when they start closing large blocks of schools (entire districts etc). Parents will have to stay home, and work from home if possible.
I know that law firms are starting to discuss protocols, plans for having people work from home, etc. I presume other businesses are doing the same.
To me, it seems certain that:
1 - the virus will go free range in the US within a couple of weeks, probably sooner.
2 - to limit spread, large gatherings and institutions will close (schools, festivals, sporting events)
3 - the supply chain impacts from the virus in the Far East are going to cause issues with some critical items, like drugs.

I also think it’s reasonably likely that we’re going to see broader quarantines - orders for people to stay home, not go out to stores, etc.

I have a friend who works for the feds in the security arena. He’s come out and advised people to lay in 3-4 weeks worth of supplies and to make a plan to work from home. And noting that the masks don’t protect you, they protect others from you. Best steps are to wash hands and avoid touching your face...but there’s no stopping this from spreading.

The economic impacts are going to be the biggest thing. The health impacts hopefully won’t surpass them, but it could happen.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CheesePie said:

That has to be 20mg, which is still a lot.  200mg?  That would be an acid trip and a half.

11 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

That has to be 20mg, which is still a lot.  200mg?  That would be an acid trip and a half.

it acted more like a pharmaceutical pain killer than a psychedelic, I'm sure the effect can vary between users. When I get them delivered they're about the size of a brick layer's thumb, then I chop them down to reasonable size. Decided to eat to whole load last night and was conscious but couch ridden for who knows how long until I passed out. It was a lot, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I will add that I do still feel high.

Edited by CheesePie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, it would probably be best if all of america was given a dose of a coronavirus (but not this coronavirus). It would be nice to have some immunity. Of course, it would have been better if we were infected with the milder coronavirus last month.

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Also read reports (dunno how true) that a person can catch coronavirus more than once because of something about the way it mutates or some shit

From what I've read, the coronoviruses have a pretty moderate mutation rate. The current strain likely derived from a mutation, but once emergent it may be relatively stable - this hopefully allows for an effective vaccine. 

5 hours ago, RayDog said:

As I posted in politics. If there was a local cluster of 20, in the time she has been intubated it is now 160. If 100 it is now 800. 

Assuming 6 or more clusters in the US there will be between 100,000 and 1,000,000 infected in 3 weeks. A month or so later, everybody.

Dunno about those exact numbers, but I agree we are about to see the exponential jump in reported infections.

Edited by Goredho

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

Dunno about those exact numbers, but I agree we are about to see the exponential jump in reported infections.

Agreed if the US ever starts testing people.   If you have symptoms you can't just show up today at a Doctor's office or the hospital and get a test.  I figured that was the case but crazy that it took someone being admitted to the hospital for 5-6 days in California before they got around to testing them.  So they aren't even testing potential severe cases. I'm not sure when we'll actually get "official" reports of the increase but no doubt it's spreading all over currently.

11 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

So the new California case was in two hospitals and was there for a week or more before they were tested for the virus.

Got to wonder how many other cases like this are happening right now.

Statement from the hospital.

50867da24e6586e5d54b589c8bd3adef.jpg

Agreeing with @Goredho This could very well be the most important post in this thread.  If the forums had a "remind me" feature, I'd have it remind me to look at this post in two weeks.

50 minutes ago, B00M said:

So that nytimes corona virus goes global podcast was pretty interesting. 

Prepare your angus to stay home for a month. The US can't handle this because we dont have enough ventilators. 

If this is the case, I'm golden.  My son regularly brings home colds for me.  Last week he brought home Flu A which was nice, and yes we get our flu shots every year.  It was too late for either of us to get the meds so we had to ride it out.  It wasn't that bad though.  A couple of days of being exhausted and non stop runny nose and we were both good to go.  Come at me coronavirus.

• Like 2

The California patient was at a regional hospital before crashing and being brought to UC Davis. CDC denied/postponed testing because the patient had not had any foreign travel and didn't fit the profile. Clearly they came in contact with someone. Would not be surprised if there were additional exposures at the first hospital, as UCD seems to have taken all the precautions (not sure the first one did). 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away