Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

For what it’s worth (and I know that this will sound like Kristy Swanson’s character from Ferris Bueller) my wife just texted me that a friend of ours texted that the friend’s sister works in a hospital and they were being told to stock up on Zycam, Advil, bleach and Pedialite...

6ff5d752ee31f3ef0f96cdd93fbf569a.jpg

4 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

If my local grocery store is empty of people, can someone run through naked with just his/her mask on and not get caught?  Asking for a friend.

Go right ahead. I'm sure you'll find it invigorating, until you turn down the beans and lube aisle and find MIA waiting for you with open arms. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2300 Nueces said:

This is in World War Z (book version), too. Hopefully this is more effective than 

1 hour ago, NoName said:

2nd part of her tweet: 

this seems bad...

Stating the obvious - the fatality rate seems too high, so either the infections are WAY underreported, or the variant of the virus in Iran is several times more deadly, or a combination of both. 

4 minutes ago, mdleast said:

For what it’s worth (and I know that this will sound like Kristy Swanson’s character from Ferris Bueller) my wife just texted me that a friend of ours texted that the friend’s sister works in a hospital and they were being told to stock up on Zycam, Advil, bleach and Pedialite...

6ff5d752ee31f3ef0f96cdd93fbf569a.jpg

Man... all that stuff is expensive. 

10 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

This is in World War Z (book version), too. Hopefully this is more effective than 

Stating the obvious - the fatality rate seems too high, so either the infections are WAY underreported, or the variant of the virus in Iran is several times more deadly, or a combination of both. 

Or China has significant under reporting of fatalities. 

6 minutes ago, Loco said:

Florida:  "0 cases of Corona Virus! all is well!"

also Florida:

I'm not confident the fed in it's current state has any handle on not fucking this all up. I think this is going to sweep the country like a really bad flu. I'm most worried for my parents and family who are 60+ and for my cousin's wife who is fighting cancer. Anyone with compromised immune systems or who are elderly 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

Those making comparisons to the Spanish Flu will have to remember that the flu didn't do much in the summer then came roaring back right around when football season gets good.

Well, that would make for more excitement than the last ten seasons of Texas Football. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

I'm not confident the fed in it's current state has any handle on not fucking this all up. I think this is going to sweep the country like a really bad flu. I'm most worried for my parents and family who are 60+ and for my cousin's wife who is fighting cancer. Anyone with compromised immune systems or who are elderly 

My kids just got their first brush with an elderly relative dying (my grandmother) last year.  We have 4 relatives that they are well-acquainted with, who are in their 80s.  I could handle those types of deaths slightly better when it was just my wife and I, but holy hell, seeing it through the eyes of little kids was far rougher.  Don't want to go through that anytime soon.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Has Florida decided whether they would release information about coronavirus cases or not?  Because last I saw, they weren't going to (prevent public panic and all that).

Oh I'd bet against it.  They'll hem and haw till the cat is well and truely out of the bag.   Remember down south Miami is the Capital of South America  and the Rat rules everything up north.  Tourists dolla bills yo

So, Austin ISD sent out their coronavirus message last night. Now we are getting them from the school nurse/representatives.

And yesterday and today, there were Blackhawks flying over (around Mabry, and I know they do far more often than people realize) but I'm just saying, at least on this side of town, HEBs might be a little lean in the supply area.

Speaking of, last night when we were doing our mega-purchase, my son asked me "Daddy, do you think people are buying stuff at Randall's?"

Easily one of his top ten sayings.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

So Facebook just canceled their developers conference, Workday canceled their big internal sales meeting/boondoogle. I would be getting out of any hotel, airline, cruise stocks if not already. Expedia laid off like 12% of their staff (3,000 jobs) yesterday. Shit's getting real. I am curious to see if a conference I am due to go to soon gets nixed or not.

Just nutso.

Wife and I decided this week to cancel her trip to the London book fair in 2 weeks. 60% of exhibitors are Asian, and the U.K. is not currently halting or limiting travel. Between the two trips through heathrow, the days in hotel, the restaurants, and the convention itself, just not worth the risk of infection, quarantine, or disrupted travel home. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

It hasn't been made public. Probably won't for a while as they try to assess the damage. only reason I know is because he's my buddy and called me to say get a N95 rated respirator ASAP

Dude - if it’s real say it. There isn’t a real reason for them to hold it back - it’s just increasing spread. 

But if you’re exaggerating and it’s just a rumor. . .

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Farming season starts in a month. Imagine if Coronavirus is going nuts then. If a large numbers of farmers, farm workers, suppliers, etc. are sick when they need to be planting corn, it could have a long impact. Not disastrous, but long.

Or livestock farms. Cows, pigs, chickens gotta eat.

Good thing I have backyard chickens.

Defense Logistics getting into the 3M mask rush. 7100 boxes as a rush order. 

Line 0001 Qty 400 UI BX Deliver To: DLA DISTRIBUTION SAN DIEGO By: 0011 DAYS ADO Line 0002 Qty 3100 UI BX Deliver To: DLA DISTRIBUTION SAN DIEGO By: 0011 DAYS ADO Line 0003 Qty 3600 UI BX Deliver 

59 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

rather not say since he's technically not supposed to be releasing that information. Just an FYI I just bought my respirators online from advance Auto parts since Amazon and Walmart and all those places are pretty much sold out. They have 3M p95 rated half masks which do everything the N95 do but are rated to last longer and also work against oils and chemicals. For the time being they also have a discount code so you can save some money on it but I'd go there ASAP

My 80 something year old mother in law volunteers at AMH, and was there today. It’d be nice to know, from you or from the hospital, if she’s at risk along with all the family that sees her regularly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Farming season starts in a month. Imagine if Coronavirus is going nuts then. If a large numbers of farmers, farm workers, suppliers, etc. are sick when they need to be planting corn, it could have a long impact. Not disastrous, but long.

Or livestock farms. Cows, pigs, chickens gotta eat.

What % of those are family farmers Vs Large Agri-business ?   Seriously I have no idea, but in my head the vast majority of crops/farms are run by agro-corps.  School me

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Lots of Blackhawks yesterday up and down I35. I see them all the time just not the volume. National Guard invading Bastrop? 

Bastrop area has some large NG facilities (armory, motor pool, etc.).

It's been a very long time since I was in, but at the time and where I was at, NG helicopters were actually piloted and maintained by active-duty units, which would mean Fort Hood.  There is/was a Fort Hood unit returning recently from South Korea of all places.   Never know though.

1 hour ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

A coworker came back from a short vacation in Seattle last week.  A couple days later, he had flu symptoms so he went to his doctor.  They asked if he had travelled lately, and when they found out he had, they put him in a mask and isolated him.  A while later they came back and said there was an ambulance out front to transport him to the hospital.  They made him go to the ER to find out he had a cold, not the flu.  Wouldn't even do the flu test in their office.  Yeah, we're all fucked.

Tell him to send the ambulance bill to his doctor.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Bastrop area has some large NG facilities (armory, motor pool, etc.).

It's been a very long time since I was in, but at the time and where I was at, NG helicopters were actually piloted and maintained by active-duty units, which would mean Fort Hood.  There is/was a Fort Hood unit returning recently from South Korea of all places.   Never know though.

Yeah, Camp Swift. I am south of Austin.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away