Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Where do you guys live that HEB and other stores are thunderdomes? Every store I’ve been to in SA is business as usual, nothing’s running out, etc. And that’s with everyone knowing there’s a significant number of Coronavirus patients in the city. People here aren’t scared of nothin, hombre.

1 hour ago, Loco said:

Also this is why China's air and water is toxic... those lucky dogs!

Fun to make fun of, but every modernized country has gone through the same industrial revolution period. We still have plenty of Superfund sites in the US, Cleveland lit an entire river on fire, LA was a cloud of smog only 20yr ago. It's somewhat disingenuous to be lambasting developing countries for <developing>.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Upgrayedd said:

Perhaps they should have regulated the whole wet market thing.  Just a thought.

And perhaps not, considering despite all our regulations, we still have e-coli and salmonella food illnesses break out every year. Add a random mutation and you've got a pandemic party originating in the West.

• Fuck You 4

A lot of resources (time and money) are being wasted in a futile attempt to stop every transmission of the virus. 
Put that effort into mash units or emergency gear/supplies. 
Every quarantine will be a fuck up. Every single one. Realize that and act accordingly. 

From your repeated posts in this thread, you seem to be under the impression that quarantines are only successful if they are 100% effective in stopping the spread of the virus. That isn’t the case. Quarantines play a major role in slowing the spread of the virus, even if the virus is ultimately transmitted beyond the quarantine. Is it ideal? No, but it’s all we can do at this point.

It’s easy to argue the quarantines in Wuhan and throughout China were implemented late, and that’s obviously true in hindsight. However, from a global perspective, the fact they were implemented at all has significantly slowed the spread to other countries. It now seems inevitable that the entire world will get it, but at least these quarantines are buying us time.

Time for what? Ramp up PPE production and distribution, increase hospital capacity and resources, vaccine development (yes that may be a year away), study other medical treatments, and the hope that warmer weather may magically reduce transmission. It’s something. Without the quarantines it likely would’ve spread throughout the U.S. a month ago.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

Fun to make fun of, but every modernized country has gone through the same industrial revolution period. We still have plenty of Superfund sites in the US, Cleveland lit an entire river on fire, LA was a cloud of smog only 20yr ago. It's somewhat disingenuous to be lambasting developing countries for <developing>.

Yeah. And while we're at it let's forgive all those countries who mutilate their girl's genitals. They're just a little bit behind the times that's all.

3 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

From your repeated posts in this thread, you seem to be under the impression that quarantines are only successful if they are 100% effective in stopping the spread of the virus. That isn’t the case. Quarantines play a major role in slowing the spread of the virus, even if the virus is ultimately transmitted beyond the quarantine. Is it ideal? No, but it’s all we can do at this point.

It’s easy to argue the quarantines in Wuhan and throughout China were implemented late, and that’s obviously true in hindsight. However, from a global perspective, the fact they were implemented at all has significantly slowed the spread to other countries. It now seems inevitable that the entire world will get it, but at least these quarantines are buying us time.

Time for what? Ramp up PPE production and distribution, increase hospital capacity and resources, vaccine development (yes that may be a year away), study other medical treatments, and the hope that warmer weather may magically reduce transmission. It’s something. Without the quarantines it likely would’ve spread throughout the U.S. a month ago.

Yeah. 1,000,000 getting infected over 2 months is a lot more manageable than 1,000,000 infected in 2 weeks. 

1 minute ago, Sam Lin said:

And perhaps not, considering despite all our regulations, we still have e-coli and salmonella food illnesses break out every year. Add a random mutation and you've got a pandemic party originating in the West.

Do you actually believe that or are you just trolling?  

10 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Dammit, keep that shit at Fenway.  Looks looks and sounds like ass at DKR.  
Al has taken this in at Fenway on the Green Monster, in Box seats and behind home plate, DKR stadium (God rest his soul) is not my place for Sweet Caroline.  

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m on mobile, but will someone copy and paste all those tweets into one plain text on here. That’s the most sane rationale advice I’ve read since the start. I want to share with some old who don’t twitter 

1. Many countries like UK are currently in containment phase. But likely at some point infection will start spreading via local transmission. At that point, top priority is to slow the spread, and what we do as individuals and communities will be critical.

2. Fortunately risk of serious illness is low, especially for children. But risk is higher for elderly and people with existing health conditions. Everything we can do to slow the spread will help protect people at higher risk, and less people overall will get infected.

3. There are practical things everyone can do to reduce the risk of getting infected. These need practice, so start doing them now. You may still get infected, but it is worth really trying to avoid infection, because the more we slow spread the better. Slow the spread, buy time.

4. Stop touching your face. Especially stop touching your eyes, nose or mouth. This is much much harder than it sounds, and takes practice. But if you start practising now, you will quickly get a lot better at it.

5. Wash your hands often. Wash with soap and water for 20 seconds, or rub hands with alcohol hand gel. Especially wash hands before eating or touching food.

6. If you or a friend or family member takes any prescription medication, make sure you have a good supply, e.g., at least 4 weeks worth.

7. Don't panic buy enough food to survive a zombie apocalypse. But do buy a few extra provisions. Do it a bit at a time, add a few extra things in when you normally go shopping. Have 2 weeks worth of provisions, including some chocolate or other treats. Don't forget about pets.

8. When local transmission does start, keep your distance from people, at least 2 metres. Especially people showing symptoms, but some people may carry the virus and transmit without symptoms, so generally keep some distance where you can. Stop shaking hands etc.

9. While a mask seems like a good idea, it can give a false sense of security. There isn’t a lot of good evidence that shows a mask to reliably prevent infection when worn by the public. But they are useful to put on a sick person to reduce their spreading of the virus.

10. If you or a loved one becomes sick, follow the practices of the day. Call ahead before going to a Doctor, fever clinic or hospital and get advice on what to do. Think through now how to take care of sick family members while trying not to get infected.

11. Talk things through with friends and family. Be prepared that some people will be very willing to talk about it, others may be reluctant or frightened. But general advice is that it's a good way to prepare emotionally for life not as usual.

12. Unfortunately it doesn't look like this will be over quickly. The new coronavirus may be with us into next year. It might even become a seasonal infection, returning each winter. This is probably going to be a marathon, not a sprint.

13. If you end up stuck at home for a couple of weeks, don't forget about skype/facetime/google hangouts/etc., a great way to catch up, check in and hang out with friends and family.

14. If you manage a business or organisation, cross-train key staff at work so one person’s absence won’t derail our organisation’s ability to function.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Where do you guys live that HEB and other stores are thunderdomes? Every store I’ve been to in SA is business as usual, nothing’s running out, etc. And that’s with everyone knowing there’s a significant number of Coronavirus patients in the city. People here aren’t scared of nothin, hombre.

If you are reading this thread for anything other than pure entertainment, you are doing it wrong. 

I just had a guy predict the collapse of China, call me a dumbfuck for mocking it, and then he doubled down by predicting the fall of the far eastern manufacturing base and the resurrection of manufacturing power in Europe and the United States. And I mean, he meant it. That’s just one. Every page is a trail of gold breadcrumbs. 

• Like 4

Was at the Far West HEB last night. I grabbed a few canned items (not a lot, but some things to round out what I have on hand), and there was a guy with a cart FULL of cans. Lots of soups, beans, and fruit. Like, 80+ cans. He could have been a pathetic bachelor, but it looked hoarder-ish. And they were really low on rice (the 2 lb bags were all gone), and a couple of other items. Wasn’t stripped bare, but it wasnt normal.

I was surprised as well. I stopped by Costco and HEB in SW Austin on the way home and both were actually less crowded than normal it seemed. I was expecting chaos.
Granted Costco had no paper towels or tp

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Was at the Far West HEB last night. I grabbed a few canned items (not a lot, but some things to round out what I have on hand), and there was a guy with a cart FULL of cans. Lots of soups, beans, and fruit. Like, 80+ cans. He could have been a pathetic bachelor, but it looked hoarder-ish. And they were really low on rice (the 2 lb bags were all gone), and a couple of other items. Wasn’t stripped bare, but it wasnt normal.

I believe that guy posts here as 2300 Nueces. 

• Like 1

The Philippines banned travelers from North Gyeongsang South Korea where Daegu is located. They also banned Filipinos from traveling to North Korea unless they are residents or students. They will decide if they need to expand the ban in another day or so.

I noticed last night that there were far fewer Koreans on the street and the Korean owned bars were trying to get white guys like me to go in when they usually won't give us the time of day.

17 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

For what it's worth, I live in the hood right under the flight path to ABIA. Usually hear a jet go over at least once an hour, but haven't heard one tonight.

Nvm.. one just flew over but the traffic is waaay down

I fly next week. When I booked my flight it was almost sold out. I looked today to change my seat and the flight is half empty. 

Fun to make fun of, but every modernized country has gone through the same industrial revolution period. We still have plenty of Superfund sites in the US, Cleveland lit an entire river on fire, LA was a cloud of smog only 20yr ago. It's somewhat disingenuous to be lambasting developing countries for .
Yep. Totally same/same:

China's Top 10 LARGEST Cities

Shanghai — 23.4 million people.

Beijing — 18.8 million people.

Tianjin — 12.8 million people.

Shenzhen — 12.7 million people.

Guangzhou — 11.6 million people.

Chengdu — 10.2 million people.

Dongguan — 8.3 million people.

Chongqing — 8.2 million people.
  • Like 1

I fly next week. When I booked my flight it was almost sold out. I looked today to change my seat and the flight is half empty. 
I'm flying to Hawaii in a couple of weeks with a 4 and 2 year old. It would be great if the flight was half empty and I could get the kids away from everyone for everyone else's sanity.

Yep. Totally same/same:

Now you're just making up city names. Chongqing, Dongguan and Chengdu? Come on man.
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Eastwood said:
13 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I'm flying to Hawaii in a couple of weeks with a 4 and 2 year old. It would be great if the flight was half empty and I could get the kids away from everyone for everyone else's sanity.

let em run like crazy while you get sloshed. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Yep. Totally same/same:

When I see your name I just think of Wuhan.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Eastwood said:
15 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

iPads + headphones + snacks 

39 minutes ago, RayDog said:

The Philippines banned travelers from North Gyeongsang South Korea where Daegu is located. They also banned Filipinos from traveling to North Korea unless they are residents or students. They will decide if they need to expand the ban in another day or so.

I noticed last night that there were far fewer Koreans on the street and the Korean owned bars were trying to get white guys like me to go in when they usually won't give us the time of day.

Wait, there are people that go to school in North Korea???  That's fucked up.  Could they really not get into school anywhere else? Isn't there an A&M Manila or community college anywhere?

Edited by Hate
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Yep. Totally same/same:

How do you leave off Wuhan's 11.08 million people?

Edited by Junior Miller

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away