Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 hours ago, heso said:

the international law firm I work for told everyone to cancel any travel to CDC level 2 or 3 classification. Currently that’s China and South Korea as level 3. Iran, northern Italy, and japan are level 2. Anyone coming back from any of those places is supposed to self quarantine and work from home for 2 weeks. 

I have the same with my employer and pay while in quarantine is on a case by case basis. Since these ratings could worsen while you're away, I think someone has to be very foolish to travel to any country that has a possibility of a rising threat. Northern Italy could become all of Italy soon. Or SK or Japan could lead to Singapore overnight.

And you never know if the US decides to ban travel from a country, you might not be able to come back. Personally I would be very careful about foreign travel at the moment. It's probably ok but the really bad possibilities are really bad.

Whats the latest on the rumor posted here that several people in the Dallas area have tested positive but the news isn't allowed to be spread. I've heard that states are reluctant to go against the CDC's communication plan but I also find it hard to believe that city, county and state officials would all go along with a communication blackout.

Let's talk hotel HVAC (and I guess this would apply to apartment buildings, etc.)  I'm still traveling for business (by auto, mostly interactions with just 1 or 2 individuals at a time, easy to keep distance, it isn't difficult to disinfect a hotel room, can cook my own food, hotdam I'm a mobile mini-prepper extraordinaire.)

From what I've read the risk of infection from particles traveling through the recirculated hotel air supply isn't as high as one might think, despite the typical filters used not being very effective for screening (China Flu particles are on the small end of the specturm), for a variety of reasons.  But it also isn't a zero risk. 

I'm thinking ahead to if my hotel got quarantined for 2+ weeks.  Getting a room where the windows open and have the HVAC unit separate from the building intake/outtake tubes (such as those beneath the window), I can tape off the duct vent feeding air into the room from the building's recirculating system (no need to close off the outlet duct sucking the air out , right? (usually located in the bathroom.)  Those vents on the outside below the window, opposite the HVAC unit, are just heat exhaust vents, right?  The HVAC unit just recirculates air inside the hotel room rather than drawing in outside air directly, for efficiency, correct?  So far so good, yes?

But is it common for some hotels to have rooms, such as multi-room suites, on their own independent central HVAC?  For example, the Residence Inns I'm familiar with have a central HVAC unit in each suite feeding all the rooms.   I'm guessing those are still fed by the building's central air duct, or not always?  Is it possible to open the access panel to close off a duct vent, or are they probably run directly into the HVAC unit?

Maybe I should sign up for a U. Phoenix HVAC certification class....

Edited by clapclapclap

7 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Let's talk hotel HVAC (and I guess this would apply to apartment buildings, etc.)  I'm still traveling for business (by auto, mostly interactions with just 1 or 2 individuals at a time, easy to keep distance, it isn't difficult to disinfect a hotel room, can cook my own food, hotdam I'm a mobile mini-prepper extraordinaire.)

From what I've read the risk of infection from particles traveling through the recirculated hotel air supply isn't as high as one might think, despite the typical filters used not being very effective for screening (China Flu particles are on the small end of the specturm), for a variety of reasons.  But it also isn't a zero risk. 

I'm thinking ahead to if my hotel got quarantined for 2+ weeks.  Getting a room where the windows open and have the HVAC unit separate from the building intake/outtake tubes (such as those beneath the window), I can tape off the duct vent feeding air into the room from the building's recirculating system (no need to close off the outlet duct sucking the air out (usually in the bathroom.)  Those vents on the outside below the window, opposite the HVAC unit, are just heat exhaust vents, right?  The HVAC unit just recirculates air inside the hotel room rather than drawing in outside air directly, for efficiency, correct?  So far so good, yes?

But is it common for some hotels to have rooms, such as multi-room suites, on their own independent central HVAC?  For example, the Residence Inns I'm familiar with have a central HVAC unit in each suite feeding all the rooms.   I'm guessing those are still fed by the building's central air duct, or not always?  Is it possible to open the access panel to close off a duct vent, or are they probably run directly into the HVAC unit?

Maybe I should sign up for a U. Phoenix HVAC certification class....

I think the cruise ships offer a good study in this - there were certainly people with symptoms or without, carrying the disease. Reports are that the 'quarantine' was far from optimal - people not taking it seriously, eating together, etc. And still the overall infection rate was only a portion. 

Basically, I'd be more worried about the breakfast buffet than the HVAC. This isn't Legionnaire's Disease, caused by a bacterium with a waxy coating that allows it to thrive in those environments. 

Edited by Txzen

29 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Only comparing mortality rates as a means of comparing influenza to covid19 is missing 3/4 of the information. Add in the communicability difference, the natural and inoculated immunity difference, and the hospitalization rate difference, and you can see why one is more dangerous than the other. At least this season. 

And the length of the hospital stay. And the hospital workers all having to be in serious PPE.  Our regular hospital are not used to either of those situations.  More beds being taken up by coronavirus means fewer beds for everything else.

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I have the same with my employer and pay while in quarantine is on a case by case basis. Since these ratings could worsen while you're away, I think someone has to be very foolish to travel to any country that has a possibility of a rising threat. Northern Italy could become all of Italy soon. Or SK or Japan could lead to Singapore overnight.

And you never know if the US decides to ban travel from a country, you might not be able to come back. Personally I would be very careful about foreign travel at the moment. It's probably ok but the really bad possibilities are really bad.

I wouldn’t be going anywhere other than Western Europe right now, and even then I’d be very trepidatious about leaving the country with how fast Italy’s outbreak blew up. 

I’m starting to migrate over to the idea that everyone has it, but that it’s nowhere even near 2% deadly. Rather that’s the figure associated with the most serious cases. 

I wonder if S Korea is really testing as many people as they stated or that their ‘testing’ is more synonymous with the 8,400 people that California is monitoring.

It appears really obvious at this point that true testing capabilities are beyond overwhelmed. 

40 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And the length of the hospital stay. And the hospital workers all having to be in serious PPE.  Our regular hospital are not used to either of those situations.  More beds being taken up by coronavirus means fewer beds for everything else.

Lack of adequate numbers of ventilators is probably the biggest potential bottleneck to helping critical cases recover.  Slowing the rate of spread over months instead of getting hit with a tidal wave would help rotation of access to specialized care a lot.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

I’m starting to migrate over to the idea that everyone has it, but that it’s nowhere even near 2% deadly. Rather that’s the figure associated with the most serious cases. 

I wonder if S Korea is really testing as many people as they stated or that their ‘testing’ is more synonymous with the 8,400 people that California is monitoring.

It appears really obvious at this point that true testing capabilities are beyond overwhelmed. 

Probably. If they are doing it by rt-PCR, each run takes 2 hours, limiting the number of samples that can be processed to only four runs per 8-hour day on a single machine. I don't have a clue how many machines are available for commercial use but I would think that the number of samples that can be processed daily in the US isn't that great. More than likely, the machines were near capacity before the outbreak. Most places don't have a lot of idle machines floating around.

21 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

Every time I read “everyone has it” I think of the walking dead. 

• Like 4

Jesus- you panicky bitches are why the stock market is in the tank. The mortality rate is falsely elevated due to the fact that only severe cases are being tested and confirmed. There are countless other asymptomatic or only mildly symptomatic cases that aren’t confirmed. The flu is still going to kill more people this year than the coronavirus by a long shot. Everyone needs to calm the fuck down, practice good hygiene and keep living a normal life.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Jesus- you panicky bitches are why the stock market is in the tank. The mortality rate is falsely elevated due to the fact that only severe cases are being tested and confirmed. There are countless other asymptomatic or only mildly symptomatic cases that aren’t confirmed. The flu is still going to kill more people this year than the coronavirus by a long shot. Everyone needs to calm the fuck down, practice good hygiene and keep living a normal life.

Found the Stock Broker.

But yes, wash your hands.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

As repeatedly stated, looking only at mortality is not why the virus is an issue. Next time please read the thread before posting useless shit that has already been addressed 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

STFU and take your ass back to the cloak room .

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, MissingInAction said:

STFU and take your ass back to the cloak room .

What the fuck does that have to do with the cloakroom? I don’t go in there to avoid the dumbshit nonsense that’s apparently going on in this thread too: a bunch of people hearing what they want to hear rather than examining the facts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I actually think this is going to be way worse than most are predicting. I think 3/4 of the US is likely to catch it, with 7-15% of those who caught it being severe cases. Thats roughly 15-30 million people who will want to be/have to behospitalized. We only have 100,000 icu beds in the entire country

you bout to see the most epic re-purposing/healthcare mash unit this world has ever seen. Every surgery center, every hospital, every place that has an oxygen outlet... occupied. And stays will likely be 2-4 weeks. 

this world as we know it now bout to be shut down for a while. 

It doesn’t transmit as well as the flu, and I doubt even 10% of Americans get the flu per year.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away