Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

https://www.theepochtimes.com/is-the-coronavirus-a-bioweapon_3231180.html

Is the Coronavirus a Bioweapon?

A look at the Chinese regime's biological warfare intentions and capabilities

excerpt:

...The vice-president of China’s Academy of Military Medical Sciences, He Fuchu....

http://www.hlhl.org.cn/english/showsub.asp?id=517

517.jpg

He Fuchu

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

stupid take

it is the very nature of what is causing this that also allows them to have the economic strength they have

fuck all concern for human life or human rights, fuck all concern for safety or the environment, fuck all concern for any type of fair play or morality, and fuck all concern for what happens in any other place that is not China

when that shit comes back to haunt them then fuck yes you use that to your advantage and take every step you can to pay them back on similar terms

I'm confused. You say it's a stupid take, but then your last sentence seems to agree with what I said.

50 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/10/coronavirus-latest-updates.html

10:34 am: WHO officials say 15% of all patients get pneumonia

The WHO’s Dr. Sylvia Briand told reporters the disease produces mild cold symptoms in about 80% of the cases they’ve seen so far. About 15% of the people who’ve contracted the virus have ended up with pneumonia with 3% to 5% of all patients needing intensive care.  

That is about what I would expect. Mortality rate would be relatively low (compared to the early reports of 6-10%). For reference, the standard flu typically has about a 0.1% mortality rate but has ranged from 0.1% (1957 and 1968 pandemics) to 20% (1918 pandemic). The H5N1 avian influenza was around 60%. This seems to be in the 0.3% range but I could see it creeping up to 1%. At 1% mortality rate, the number of cases in Wuhan would be around 85,000.

6 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I'm confused. You say it's a stupid take, but then your last sentence seems to agree with what I said.

you are implying that it takes a morally bankrupt president to make that decision

when the reality is it just requires a president that is not an idiot and that cares about the best interest of the USA instead of their ability to look like a global pandering asshole that is constantly played for a sap 

I'm in Dallas, driving in to work today and sitting an extra long light. Look over to my right and the Asian driver next to me has on one of those surgical masks. Nobody else in his car, just him and his mask.

How dead am I?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/is-the-coronavirus-a-bioweapon_3231180.html

Is the Coronavirus a Bioweapon?

A look at the Chinese regime's biological warfare intentions and capabilities

excerpt:

...The vice-president of China’s Academy of Military Medical Sciences, He Fuchu....

http://www.hlhl.org.cn/english/showsub.asp?id=517

517.jpg

He Fuchu

someone asks GIF

17 hours ago, Bevo said:

I recently read a paper that stated certain natural flavonoids are strong inhibitors of the SARS helicase. Since this coronavirus probably has a similar helicase, flavonoids may help. They probably wouldn't prevent disease, but they may help limit the pathogenicity. There is of course very little data but there isn't much downside either.

"Herbacetin, rhoifolin and pectolinarin were found to efficiently block the enzymatic activity of SARS-CoV 3CLpro. . . .With the systematic analysis, the three flavonoids are suggested to be templates to design functionally improved inhibitors."

No idea what that means other than Google searches.  But here's the article from NIH.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31724441

Update from friend at WHO.....sounds like bullshit....

well there are more people contracting the virus but I think you already knew that. our DG sent a message to staff over the weekend. Some extracted text below from that email: To best protect people all over the world, all countries need to work together to contain the virus.  Based on advice from the Emergency Committee, I called on action in seven key areas: 
1.    not restrict travel or trade based on current information; 
2.    increase international support for fragile settings;
3.    accelerate development of vaccines, therapeutics and diagnostics;
4.    intensify action to combat rumors and misinformation;
5.    review and strengthen national health emergency preparedness plans to counter the outbreak;
6.    share data, knowledge and experience with WHO and the world; and
7.    base efforts to defeat the outbreak on a spirt of solidarity and collaboration.

3 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

A savy President could use this as an opportunity to reduce/pay back a lot of our debt to them at a heavy discount. It’s cold-blooded, but this is one place that Trump is perfectly suited for. He doesn’t give a single shit about the bad optics that might cause a non-morally bankrupt president to shy away from using a humanitarian crisis as a bargaining chip.

I think it was a great man who said never let a situation go to waste.

9 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Update from friend at WHO.....sounds like bullshit....

well there are more people contracting the virus but I think you already knew that. our DG sent a message to staff over the weekend. Some extracted text below from that email: To best protect people all over the world, all countries need to work together to contain the virus.  Based on advice from the Emergency Committee, I called on action in seven key areas: 
1.    not restrict travel or trade based on current information; 
2.    increase international support for fragile settings;
3.    accelerate development of vaccines, therapeutics and diagnostics;
4.    intensify action to combat rumors and misinformation;
5.    review and strengthen national health emergency preparedness plans to counter the outbreak;
6.    share data, knowledge and experience with WHO and the world; and
7.    base efforts to defeat the outbreak on a spirt of solidarity and collaboration.

So it’s a bio-weapon gone awry

41 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

1. Blows my mind....

The rest I can understand but to say that there doesn’t seem a reason to rate restricting travel at this time is terrifying 

This. The very first thing that should have been done is shutting down the airports

fuckers have learned nothing from I Am Legend

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

WTF, that poor lady is just doing her job

yeah man, I was a Michelin stared restaurant in Paris with the wife and watched  a Chinese couple get into an argument where the guy spat in his wifes(?) face at the table. They did a push/shake fight then stopped acted like nothing and tried to return to their meal before they were ushered out. 

man, there are some odd ducks floating around from China with some Jerry Springer manners. 

Edited by Doc Reeves

https://www.kron4.com/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-outbreak-santa-clara-county-to-declare-local-health-emergency/

SANTA CLARA COUNTY, Calif. (KRON) — County officials are planning to declare a local health emergency in Santa Clara County Monday due to the coronavirus outbreak. 

This does not mean there is an increased risk to the public. 

The declaration helps ensure that the county is prepared to respond effectively to the outbreak and allows them to receive mutual aid resources from the state of California and other jurisdictions. 

Two people have tested positive for the coronavirus in Santa Clara County.

Just for two people.  Interesting, but this could just be a bureaucracy thing to get resources like they say.  

Their are already large scale slides in the price of copper due to companies not ordering their  normal amounts (and in some cases try to back out of orders). That may be a symptom of a massive bankruptcy event which will probably lead to a bank run and potentially even more large national bank defaults.
China is great when running at 6-8% GDP. If that number crumbles (or potentially goes negative as some are suggesting for Q1) things are going to.grt scary. 

Unless there is an abrupt turning point where this remarkably burns itself out due to the existing quarantines proving effective, it seems things are only getting worse within China and the country will continue increasing quarantines over the coming weeks.

What’s the best case end point for quarantines to be removed? 1-2 months? I’m not sure anyone can predict that but this is obviously a huge ongoing impact for China’s economy, international supply chains, and eventually the global economy. The oil industry is already feeling it.

28 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

What’s the best case end point for quarantines to be removed? 1-2 months? I’m not sure anyone can predict that but this is obviously a huge ongoing impact for China’s economy, international supply chains, and eventually the global economy. The oil industry is already feeling it.

Well, it depends on where they are at in the process.  Our own CDC Director had some words on this

Is that awareness they're spreading?  Because nothing is more important. [/Hanoi Jane]

Seriously, when that comes to the US I hope they'll use the Dollar General Hawaiian scented generic Lysol.  Cuz that's easily the best smelling disinfectant ever.  Look for the orange bottle.

Edited by clapclapclap

16 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Is that awareness they're spreading?  Because nothing is more important. [/Hanoi Jane]

Seriously, when that comes to the US I hope they'll use the Dollar General Hawaiian scented generic Lysol.  Cuz that's easily the best smelling disinfectant ever.  Look for the orange bottle.

Pretty sure coronavirus will gain a foothold in the US through Dollar General.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away