Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

33 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Every news report I read on this provides so little info.  When exactly did the quarantine go in effect? What exactly does that mean for life on board the ship (i.e., how much interaction, if any, is there).  And of these "new cases" that have popped up in the last few days, how many of were not in direct contact (same rooms/family) with existing infected.   Edit:  I also wonder how many crew have been infected.  At this point I would think they are coming into contact with a lot more people than the passengers.  I smell lawsuits

Edited by Skipper

I watched an English language Chinese host led video on YouTube. In part of the story she said people were dropping off bodies at mortuaries in Wuhan faster than they can process them, citing an unofficial news report. (Bring out your dead.) They are working 24 hours a day to cremate the dead.

In a city of 11 million they must routinely deal with 500-600 a day. To be that swamped, they may have an excess of 500-1000 a day plus or minus as a guess.

She also said that hospitals only get about 10% of the test kits they need and they think it is intentional to keep the official infected count low. The real numbers could easily be 10x the official numbers.

Based on the early R-0 = 2.6 and doubling every 6.4 days there should be over half million infected in China already and a million by this weekend. Then 10x every 3 weeks or so until quarantines become effective.

16-17% acquire pneumonia that requires hospitalization and 3-4% need intensive care based on studies published in journals. The potential numbers are impossible to deal with.

I am happy Duteurte stopped travel from China. The numbers of Chinese tourists has dropped here. But I have seen some walking the street with their suitcase looking for a new hotel, so I think some are stranded here. They have stopped reported the number if people they are tracking here. My #1 girlfriend has a new cough.

I will try to find the link when I finish dinner.

• Like 1

It seems like there is a high number of bad new reports that are coming out this morning.  This includes the WHO stating the coronavirus now poses a grave threat to the world, the super spreader Brit, and a NYT article about how the virus is spreading through apartment building pipes in Hong Kong. China has done a pretty good job of managing information,  and outside a few outlets, no one has really questioned what's really going on over there.  I think once this pops in Singapore, Thailand and Hong Kong, they will be pushing information because they will need help.  So far the U.S. market hasn't really responded to economic problems,  we'll see how it responds to fear.

This is how it begins for us

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/10/health/evacuee-wuhan-coronavirus-mistakenly-released/index.html

“The first US evacuee from China known to be infected with the Wuhan coronavirus was mistakenly released from a San Diego hospital after an initial test found the person had not been infected, local health officials said Monday.

The patient arrived in the US last week at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar on a State Department flight from Wuhan, China, and was hospitalized with three others after showing possible symptoms of the virus. After an initial CDC test showed all four patients did not have the novel coronavirus, they were released Sunday and returned to the 14-day federal quarantine at Miramar, the University of California, San Diego Health said in a statement.

"This morning, CDC officials advised San Diego Public Health that further testing revealed that one of the four patients tested positive for (novel coronavirus)," UC San Diego Health said in a statement. "The confirmed positive patient was returned to UC San Diego Health for observation and isolation until cleared by the CDC for release."”

4 hours ago, RayDog said:

She also said that hospitals only get about 10% of the test kits they need and they think it is intentional to keep the official infected count low. The real numbers could easily be 10x the official numbers.

Based on the early R-0 = 2.6 and doubling every 6.4 days there should be over half million infected in China already and a million by this weekend. Then 10x every 3 weeks or so until quarantines become effective.

Most of us have been assuming the infected are 10x the official number, especially since people accurately predict the numbers in advance.  I don’t buy that it’s as deadly as some are making it out to be -  else, out of the nearly 500 infected outside of China, we should have seen some deaths in non-Chinese (the two international deaths had Chinese backgrounds), and we should have seen more deaths overall beyond those two.   With that said, Wuhan is overwhelmed, and it’s easy to see that plenty who would normally survive pneumonia caused by corona are dying from it   

I don’t think they are artificially limiting the number of test kits.   It’s in their best interest to get a handle on actual numbers.   They control the test processing labs - if they want to cover up numbers, they do it at the labs.   And based on the fact that folks have been guessing the official numbers well in advance, they are covering up the numbers.   

The fumigation efforts alone show that something has them spooked, and they are desperate.

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is how it begins for us

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/10/health/evacuee-wuhan-coronavirus-mistakenly-released/index.html

“The first US evacuee from China known to be infected with the Wuhan coronavirus was mistakenly released from a San Diego hospital after an initial test found the person had not been infected, local health officials said Monday.

The patient arrived in the US last week at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar on a State Department flight from Wuhan, China, and was hospitalized with three others after showing possible symptoms of the virus. After an initial CDC test showed all four patients did not have the novel coronavirus, they were released Sunday and returned to the 14-day federal quarantine at Miramar, the University of California, San Diego Health said in a statement.

"This morning, CDC officials advised San Diego Public Health that further testing revealed that one of the four patients tested positive for (novel coronavirus)," UC San Diego Health said in a statement. "The confirmed positive patient was returned to UC San Diego Health for observation and isolation until cleared by the CDC for release."”

Well, they were released into quarantine.

WHO is not the best, but this won’t come back to haunt us

https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-10-20-intl-hnk/h_3e6957b38dd51cbb62b0d55c07b8a42a

The newly unveiled Trump administration budget proposal includes steep cuts for global health programs and the World Health Organization, even as the world grapples with the spread of the novel coronavirus. However, it does increase its proposed funding for Global Health Security. 

The FY21 Budget Proposal, released today, outlines a nearly $65M proposed cut to the World Health Organization – a more than 50% decrease from FY20 funding. 

It also proposes a 34% overall cut to Global Health Programs.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away