Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1179882.shtml

A World Health Organization (WHO) expert team, including American experts, has arrived in Beijing and will visit South China's Guangdong Province and Southwest China's Sichuan Province to research China's prevention and control work on the novel coronavirus.

The epidemic-stricken Hubei is not included in the international expert team's destinations, which, according to experts, is because the province is at a vital time combating the epidemic, and cannot spare time and people to receive the experts.  

Why are they separating the 2 planes of cruise ship evacuees? Seems like it would make more sense to take them all to CA or all to TX, not split them up.

Just guessing, but I’d assume it’s due to the amount of resources needed to properly isolate and care for them. If you have two locations that can safely house X number of people before the level of care drops, then it would be better to keep each below capacity rather than max out one of them while the other is unused. Having two locations and two research teams probably provides additional benefits from a scientific standpoint as well.

This is, of course, assuming that they properly quarantine everyone. Which is debateable based on a report last week that they had accidentally released an infected person back into the quarantined group.

Where was that link? Went back a couple pages and couldn’t find it. I sorta remember reading that here but when I mentioned that at lunch, got shot down by someone else who googled links saying about a week was common for other corona viruses. 

On tapa so I can’t search, but I had gone back to confirm I’d been remembering correctly. I think it was 5-6 pages back from whatever page my post ended up being. And the study wasn’t on this strain, but some other coronavirus (maybe SARS?).

Edit: Found it. Around post 2068

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woohorn said:

Broad on Fox News just said that people have to worry about Chinese bubble wrap because the air inside could harbor the virus. OMG!!!

That would be false. Bubble wrap was originally developed as wallpaper in the late 50s. It is made my taking two sheets of plastic and vacuum pressing the plastic into a pattern. Since it is fabricated by machine, the odds of it trapping live virus transmitted by a human is extremely small. There probably aren't too many humans in the room making the bubble wrap. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

What are the odds Covid19 kills one of the major olds running for president? Trump, Biden, Warren, and Sanders are old. Bloomberg is crazy old, too. 

78, 77, 73, 70 year olds + seeing about a zillion people a day/week/month is a bad combo.

wonder what kind of cleaning/immune system process these folks have to not get sick just from shaking that many hands or being around that many people for such a long time?

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

78, 77, 73, 70 year olds + seeing about a zillion people a day/week/month is a bad combo.

wonder what kind of cleaning/immune system process these folks have to not get sick just from shaking that many hands or being around that many people for such a long time?

Had to look it up but Bloomberg is 78. To me, Sanders seems like the least healthy of the 5 and he is the youngest.

WHO daily reports. Interesting they are now providing guidance. 

• From today, WHO will be reporting all confirmed cases, including both laboratory-confirmed as previously reported, and those reported as clinically diagnosed (currently only applicable to Hubei province, China). From 13 February through 16 February, we reported only laboratory confirmed cases for Hubei province as mentioned in the situation report published on 13 February. The change in reporting is now shown in the figures. This accounts for the apparent large increase in cases compared to prior situation reports.

20200217-sitrep-28-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=a

16 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

Sanders is older than Bloomberg.  Bloomberg just turned 78.  Sanders turns 79 in September.  Biden turns 78 in November.

Thanks, I thought the poster put the ages in the same order as the names.

18 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

I can confirm I just listed old folks running for president off the top of my dome, and those names were not in order by chronological age (accept by accident). 

Yeah, that was fine. You wrote, " Trump, Biden, Warren, and Sanders are old. Bloomberg is crazy old, too".  But then No Name responded with, " 78, 77, 73, 70 year olds + seeing about a zillion people a day/week/month is a bad combo". So, I assumed Trump was 78, Biden 77, Warren 73, and Sanders 70. No big deal.

Edited by Bevo

the hysteria in hong kong over this is getting unbelievable.  hong kong culture to begin with is a paranoid one when it comes to cleanliness and germs-  lots of people wear masks as a habit whenever they go out, they sanitize every touchable surface for their kids when they go out, they carry tissues in one hand so when they hold handrails on stairs or buses there's a barrier bt the metal and their skin, etc.  it's the complete opposite of mainland culture. 

over the past two weeks there's been a run on anything related to household sanitazation-  paper towels, sanitizer, bleach, soaps.  yesterday there was a armed robbery where 3 men, at gunpoint, robbed a truckload of toilet paper.  gun crime in hong kong is unheard of.  there hasn't been an attempted armed robbery in years.  to commit an armed robbery of toilet paper is one of the most ridiculous things i've heard. 

edit: fun fact, since 2007 they've had 1 gun homicide. they've had 18 total in the past 25 years.

Edited by gsoda3
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

the hysteria in hong kong over this is getting unbelievable.  hong kong culture to begin with is a paranoid one when it comes to cleanliness and germs-  lots of people wear masks as a habit whenever they go out, they sanitize every touchable surface for their kids when they go out, they carry tissues in one hand so when they hold handrails on stairs or buses there's a barrier bt the metal and their skin, etc.  it's the complete opposite of mainland culture. 

over the past two weeks there's been a run on anything related to household sanitazation-  paper towels, sanitizer, bleach, soaps.  yesterday there was a armed robbery where 3 men, at gunpoint, robbed a truckload of toilet paper.  gun crime in hong kong is unheard of.  there hasn't been an attempted armed robbery in years.  to commit an armed robbery of toilet paper is one of the most ridiculous things i've heard. 

edit: fun fact, since 2007 they've had 1 gun homicide. they've had 18 total in the past 25 years.

Do you live there? Is there any evidence of the disease there or in Macau?

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

to commit an armed robbery of toilet paper is one of the most ridiculous things i've heard. 

There's been a couple of shart instances in my life where given the opportunity I would have put a gun to a kid's head so that his mom would have promptly handed over the Charmin she just loaded in the trunk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The reason it never spread to South America is because there are no direct flights from Asia to South America. Either because they are too long, not economic, or to protect the spread of rubber tree blight. 

Gotta keep them high hopes 

Edited by Trey3216
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The reason it never spread to South America is because there are no direct flights from Asia to South America. Either because they are too long, not economic, or to protect the spread of rubber tree blight. 

I thought the same but then did some checking. 

Presently, the only nonstop flights from Latin America to Asia are Aeromexico’s and ANA’s daily flights from Mexico City Juarez to Tokyo Narita operated with Boeing 787-8 widebodies, plus Aeromexico services to Shanghai and Seoul. Hainan Airlines also operates three weekly flights from Beijing to Mexico City with a stopover in Tijuana.

https://blueswandaily.com/direct-flights-from-south-america-to-asia-remain-further-out-on-the-horizon/

Can somebody give me a synopsis of what’s happened with that cruise ship “Diamond Princess”? Somebody went down with the coronavirus in the ship, and they said “no are not allowing anybody to get off the boat”, and now over 500 people have it?

16 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

... hong kong culture to begin with is a paranoid one when it comes to cleanliness and germs-  lots of people wear masks as a habit whenever they go out, they sanitize every touchable surface for their kids when they go out, ...

I went to my local Costco over the weekend.  As I waited my turn for checkout, I noticed the cashier cleaning something near the credit card payment machine.  When it was my turn, I got a better look and the whole area there was wet.  I asked the cashier if something (like a bottle of soda or vat of soup) had exploded or something?  No, she said, she just sanitizes her station really, really well.  Her co-worker helping on the line gave me that "she's cray!" look and nodded. 

/csb

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away