Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

My wife taught elementary school for a long time, and is still in education.  The amount of parents who willingly send their sick kids to school is staggering.  "Oh, it's just an allergy."  "Oh, it's not much of a fever, he's fine."   etc. etc.
A lot of fucking assholes who don't care if other people's kids get sick.

Then I’m double f’cked because my wife is a substitute at a ore-school....

Man, there are a lot of dipshits on twitter right now, saying don't trust The WHO, CDC, etc. and to pay attention to InfoWars, etc.
For fuck's sake, I'm more than willing to trust Pete Townshend or Roger Daltrey, or the UT Athletics Director over Alex Fucking Jones.
And looking through the timeline, like others said, you olds are fucked.  It seems to be mostly older people.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_2019–20_outbreak_of_novel_coronavirus

The kids are alright.

1 minute ago, ConferenceRoom said:

The kids are alright.

We’ll see... A&M is reporting that they have student with”flu like symptoms “ that has just come back from Wuhan, China.

They are taking a wait and see attitude as of now and classes are still a go for tomorrow. Per Twitter, causing a bit of a fuss.

7 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

We’ll see... A&M is reporting that they have student with”flu like symptoms “ that has just come back from Wuhan, China.

They are taking a wait and see attitude as of now and classes are still a go for tomorrow. Per Twitter, causing a bit of a fuss.

They could always do what we did around twenty years ago. You know, skip class 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gecko said:

I probably have it....or will get it.  I've been flying constantly since first of the year.  The number of sick MF'ers out there sneezing and coughing all over the airplanes is ridiculous.  Here's an idea.....if you're f'ing sick, why don't you stay home.....

I envy the man who can just eat the cost of his plane ticket like it's nothing.

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Wife (shes an NP at TCH) saying Texas Childrens has a likely case in the ER right now

also, i feel like dogshit. Could be flu, could be anything, who knows

TCH is mainly in Houston, but has facilities in Austin.

What city is the ER with the likely case? I would assume Houston. 

Any other details?

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

My wife taught elementary school for a long time, and is still in education.  The amount of parents who willingly send their sick kids to school is staggering.  "Oh, it's just an allergy."  "Oh, it's not much of a fever, he's fine."   etc. etc.

A lot of fucking assholes who don't care if other people's kids get sick.

Yep. Alot of parents view it as free daycare now anyway. Ain't nobody needin to learn no school. 

28 minutes ago, BLKNSTY said:

if anything on here is accurate, we’re fucked.

https://m.imgur.com/a/m91RAOz

So far, the numbers seem to be holding - 2-3% of infected victims dying.  That jives with this affecting the elderly and those with immune system problems the most.  If the mortality rate was much higher and/or it was a lot more infectious, we'd be seeing the results outside of China.  Instead, we keep seeing the same recirculated videos and photos on social media.  Woulda/coulda/shoulda locked things down a few days ago, but here we are.

For reference, the 2018-2019 flu season in the US sickened around 41.3 million people, and killed 57,300.   The flue affected around 12.5% of the US population, and of those sickened, well less than 1% died.  

3% mortality rate like the Coroa virus would be around 1.2 million dead Americans from the flu, give or take.

Still, the most concerning thing about this is the 10-14 day incubation period, and the fact that many from China who are working/studying around the world, were there in China during the early stages, and then flew back to the various countries they are working/studying in.   So it's off to HEB to buy cases of Ramen, crackers, peanut butter, and water.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Tenn Tech with a possible case. So mild symptoms means he has a fever right? Feel bad for the ER's around universities everywhere! 

The good news is that hospitals everywhere are on high alert, and more and more airports are starting to screen.

There's too many idiots on twitter trying to compare this to the Spanish Flu (fuck the Spaniards, even though they weren't the cause and all that), while ignoring the fact that modern medical care and equipment is pretty amazing (downright magical compared to what we had in the 1910s), we have lots of drugs, and the CDC and friends do a damned good job of tracking this stuff.  And with the Spanish Flu, a lot of the people that died, died fro the actual symptoms (crazy fevers, etc.) that could have been saved with todays' medical care and pharmaceuticals.

And for reference, the Spanish Flu hit just as we had hundreds of thousand, actually millions, of troops and refugees moving around the world fairly rapidly, and without the fancy-schmancy screening, communications, and tracking that we have now.

Ebola is still the freaky one to me, what with it causing lots of contaminated liquids to leave the body and all that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Odd source, but they have called the closures of the other locations accurately. 

Why aren't they locking shit down and then announcing it?  It's 1:45pm in Jingzhou as I type this.  Seems like that gives a lot of time for people to flee.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

The good news is that hospitals everywhere are on high alert, and more and more airports are starting to screen.

There's too many idiots on twitter trying to compare this to the Spanish Flu (fuck the Spaniards, even though they weren't the cause and all that), while ignoring the fact that modern medical care and equipment is pretty amazing (downright magical compared to what we had in the 1910s), we have lots of drugs, and the CDC and friends do a damned good job of tracking this stuff.  And with the Spanish Flu, a lot of the people that died, died fro the actual symptoms (crazy fevers, etc.) that could have been saved with todays' medical care and pharmaceuticals.

And for reference, the Spanish Flu hit just as we had hundreds of thousand, actually millions, of troops and refugees moving around the world fairly rapidly, and without the fancy-schmancy screening, communications, and tracking that we have now.

Ebola is still the freaky one to me, what with it causing lots of contaminated liquids to leave the body and all that.

"fancy-schmancy screening" at airports is not going to do JACK SHIT.  This thing has a 1.5 to 2 week incubation period. People who have it are going to unknowingly walking right through airports without any symptoms.  They might go a week before showing the initial flu symptoms... How many people will they infect in that week?  How many people will those people infect before they have symptoms? 

First-World medical systems are amazing, if they can treat you.  The problem is there ISN'T ENOUGH MEDICAL RESOURCES (doctors, beds, respirators, etc) if a mass number of people get sick at the same time.

That's what seems to be happening in Wuhan right now. To many sick and not enough hospital capacity.

• Like 1

Oh, it sucks that it took so long for them to start locking down air travel and the like, no arguments there, and the incubation sucks, hence my joke about stocking up on dry foods for a few weeks in case things get a little rough.

But, the good news is that the mortality rate is low at 3% - extremely low compared to Ebola (40%) and MERS (34%), very low compared to SARs (10%), and outside of one or two people, the rest of the victims are elderly.   I believe out of the younger two, the 48 year-old had some pre-existing conditions to do with immune system problems.  And the other young victim, it's China, so they could have easily had respiratory problems, lung problems from smoking, etc., etc.  Regardless, you still get some outliers with the flu deaths every year (such as the 16 year-old a week or two ago).

I saw one interview with a researcher where they mentioned that the 3% rate is actually really good, and will go down, simply because at the beginning, you get a lot of missed diagnoses, which leads to less-than-stellar treatments ("oh, it's just the flu", that kind of thing).  The fact that they have people who were infected and then heal and go home gives them a lot of data to work with as well.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away