Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Since Duterte ended Chinese flights over two weeks ago and there has been no outbreak in the Philippines, it appears he stopped the flights in time. With a thousand or more Korean tourists coming to Angeles each weekend, I am afraid that there could be an outbreak started by a Korean tourist.  

In any case, I suspect that flights from Korea will have to be shut down in a few weeks, and that means a thousand  Filipinas will not be getting laid (making money) as regularly as usual. That is a win for me.

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I wonder what month they cancel the Olympics. I bet they pretend it will be okay, but they start crawfishing in May

When they cancel them, or when they announce that they’ve canceled them, because I’m betting that conversation has either been had, or will be within a month.  

26 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I’m really surprised Alex Jones is not going full-tilt on this.  He could be selling a shit-ton of supplies, and hey, it’s in buckets you can eat from, and then shit in!

Plenty of the televangelists have already jumped on it. Gotta stock up on powdered food and vitamins. 

I wonder what month they cancel the Olympics. I bet they pretend it will be okay, but they start crawfishing in May

It costs between $10B and $50B for a city to host the Olympics. How much of that do you think Tokyo has already spent? How can a city possibly recover from investing billions and not get any return on it?

Maybe the IOC would push out the 2024 and 2028 Olympics and each city would just be 4 years delayed.

3 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

It costs between $10B and $50B for a city to host the Olympics. How much of that do you think Tokyo has already spent? How can a city possibly recover from investing billions and not get any return on it?

Maybe the IOC would push out the 2024 and 2028 Olympics and each city would just be 4 years delayed.

What’s the financially prudent thing, cancel now and stop spending, or hold the games and spend all the money but have countries not send athletes and have almost no spectators to buy hotels and food?

1 minute ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

I’ve honestly lost count of the companies claiming to have come up with a vaccine/treatment.   Not being sarcastic either - seems like SARS, etc. has caused a lot of biotech companies to be ready to respond (plus the technology keeps improving so quickly).  

22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Are these Chinese and Filipino bats the little 2 ounce guys that would be like eating a chicken wing, or the bigger ones that would be more like a Cornish game hen?

I don't know about the Philippines but there was a video of an Indonesian wet market on Facebook with some small Cornish game hen sized ones but some looked like they were more than a foot long. 

14 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Meat is meat. Amirite?

I have been going back and forth on whether I would want a girl to stay with me during quarantine, so I can still get laid regularly. We would go though my food and water supplies twice as fast but if I run out of meat and things get really desperate... 

• Like 2

Twitter reports have 9 dead in Iran, though officially they're only reporting two.  Also one Canadian came down with it after visiting Iran.  Last week they also held their revolutionary day parades where millions were asked to come out and support the regime.  At the time the public didn't know there was a threat. This is not going to be good. 

1 hour ago, Colonel Sanders said:

Twitter reports have 9 dead in Iran, though officially they're only reporting two.  Also one Canadian came down with it after visiting Iran.  Last week they also held their revolutionary day parades where millions were asked to come out and support the regime.  At the time the public didn't know there was a threat. This is not going to be good. 

At a 2% death rate more than three weeks into their infection  there were more than 450 infected 3 weeks ago. With doubling every 6 days that means 3600 infected now at a minimum. It is likely more than 10,000. There is no containing it at this point.

8 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

London already said they could do this year. Of course they did. 

42 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Poor people in those camps. No hospitals for them! 

No kidding. The war zone, the camps---I think I saw that there are over 300,000 displaced Syrians fleeing from one atrocity to another.

Same thing here along our border---the asylum seekers that have been staying along the Rio in Matamoros have no health care, little shelter, and few resources.

Americans chafe at quarantines--during the measles epidemic last year, there were groups of parents suing because they were told to stay out of public. This virus takes hold in the US more than it has thus far, and I can see it spreading easily for that reason alone.

Australians on another forum I read are pissed at their education system for helping Chinese students circumvent travel restrictions.

The ban can be dodged though by going through a country which does not have a travel ban on those coming from China.

Those countries include Thailand, Cambodia, the United Arab Emirates and Japan.

In the e-mail being circulated online this week, the university said the $1500 payment would be made after arrival in Australia.

'We consider the Australian Government's endorsement of entering Australia through a third country an important development, opening up the opportunity to arrive in time to commence study in Australia,' the e-mail said.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8023665/The-outrageous-way-Australian-university-getting-coronavirus-travel-ban.html

32 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

No kidding. The war zone, the camps---I think I saw that there are over 300,000 displaced Syrians fleeing from one atrocity to another.

Same thing here along our border---the asylum seekers that have been staying along the Rio in Matamoros have no health care, little shelter, and few resources.

Americans chafe at quarantines--during the measles epidemic last year, there were groups of parents suing because they were told to stay out of public. This virus takes hold in the US more than it has thus far, and I can see it spreading easily for that reason alone.

Almost a Million refugees just from the Aleppo and Idlib offensives. Add to that the camps in Jordan, etc... 

23 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

It's truly tragic the staggering number of people who are suffering, and the potential spread of this into that situation is...well, I'd rather not think about it.

• 400,000 Syrian civilians killed so far in the war.
  • Almost 4 million refugees have already fled to Turkey.
  • 1 million refugees are currently on the run with children dying from the cold.
  • Roughly 900,000 are right now trapped by Syrian and Russian forces in an increasingly confined space.

Spokesperson for UN's humanitarian agency: "we fear [this] may end in a bloodbath."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-syria-security/u-n-says-it-fears-bloodbath-in-northwest-syria-russia-denies-mass-displacements-idUSKBN20F1VH

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Not to get off topic, but you are correct. Saw a post today aimed at the UN Secretary General. Said we will welcome you when you come for your pat on the back to rebuild the hospitals and schools you watched being destroyed. 

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

When they say northern Italy do they mean the Dolomites or some crappy area like Genoa or Milan?

Couldn't get the link on the above tweet to work, but:

Officials told residents from three small towns some 60 km (40 miles) southeast of Italy’s financial capital Milan, to stay at home as doctors tested hundreds of people who might have come into contact with the six coronavirus sufferers.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-italy/six-coronavirus-cases-discovered-in-north-italy-hundreds-to-be-tested-idUSKBN20F0UI

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

So, time to buy rice by the 40lb bag or no? I'm leaving for northern Italy in a week.

In a same world, that trip might be held up to see how things play out.   But we are not in a sane world, and so your trip will probably happen, and given how many morons we have in this world, you will probably find yourself crossing paths with people who are ill, but just had to travel, as most of us have encountered while traveling  

Italy could find itself fucked if people in the ME start freaking out and try to flee, given its proximity and.

11 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Theres no stopping this now. 

just guessing, but id say full worldwide coverage in less than 6-8 weeks

While the CDC has incredibly competent people, their bosses at the Department of Health and Human Services are fucking morons and politically motivated, based on how they brought those Americans from the cruise ship back to the US - they could’ve flown on their own aircraft, or better yet, left in Japan (we have plenty of military bases there).  And the Secretary of HHS is a former pharmaceutical executive and lobbyist, so I’m sure that will bite us in the ass at some point.  

If it hits Yemen, given all the Iranians there, or North Africa, this thing will go to 11.  That’s assuming it hasn’t already.   We Americans as a whole tend not to realize how well-traveled many people outside of the US are    

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away