Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 hours ago, Ellellelle said:

I'm starting to get correspondence on this from the uni I work for. Nothing outright alarming, but I've worked for universities long enough to know that if they're sending emails, somebody is concerned.

Friend who works at a university medical center/hospital was planning a trip to Europenwith his family over spring break.   New hospital policy coming down for him that any employee traveling overseas must sit out for two weeks at home before coming back.  He said they were talking about potential testing as well.

30 minutes ago, TriStone said:

Some would just like to know the truth which is damn near impossible these days.  Did the government take action or ignore the problem?  Some news accuses them of ignoring the problem, while others accuse them of overreacting.  Some people say the CDC funding has been cut to the point that they can't handle this outbreak, while the AP is saying that their budget has actually been increased by Congress.  There's too much bullshit flying around and it's coming from both directions.

I'm not pointing fingers and really don't know or care who's "fault" it is (and pretty much assume any hot takes may be partisan nonsense) but I don't think anyone paying attention can say the CDC hasn't completely shit the bed so far.  It's pretty f'n embarrassing and pathetic how highly we think of ourselves yet we're so far behind virtually every developed country in tracking this thing.   I mean, regardless of whether or not funding was cut, I'm fairly confident the CDC has more funding than some of these other countries that are lapping us as far as testing cases.  Whomever developed the game plan to develop our 'own' test that failed miserably 6+ weeks ago better be out on their ass.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Not picking on you, but this is why I posted my non-expert projections.

I hardly see either one of them as "sky is falling".

I just have not seen one other mention of what even a relatively minor pandemic would actually mean in human lives.

100 million deaths in a global pandemic with 7.5 billion plus people on the planet?  Umm, that's not "doomsday", "apocalyptic", or "sky is falling" level.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Spanish Flu killed 50 Million and infected 500 million when the Earth only had 1.5 Billion people.

I'm not talking Black Death numbers here.  I'm not taking extinction level event.

I hope it doesn't turn out badly, but I've been watching this for over a month now, and this is not like anything anyone has seen for the last century.  This is not like Ebola or Sars 1.0

Let’s set the number at 10 million.

Date July 1 2020

under you never  post again.

over and I never post again.

so?

Edited by Incredulity
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

13.5% chance. 

There’s a chance the US is better at containment and stops all spread. 

Positive:  US is extremely spread out, and outside of a few cities, has nowhere near the population density that the major Chinese cities do. 

Negative:   There’s pretty much no way they could quarantine most major American cities.  Not enough law enforcement and military, too many roads and other exits.   Our suburban sprawl works against us.  

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I'm not pointing fingers and really don't know or care who's "fault" it is (and pretty much assume any hot takes may be partisan nonsense) but I don't think anyone paying attention can say the CDC hasn't completely shit the bed so far.  It's pretty f'n embarrassing and pathetic how highly we think of ourselves yet we're so far behind virtually every developed country in tracking this thing.   I mean, regardless of whether or not funding was cut, I'm fairly confident the CDC has more funding than some of these other countries that are lapping us as far as testing cases.  Whomever developed the game plan to develop our 'own' test that failed miserably 6+ weeks ago better be out on their ass.

I don't disagree with any of this.

• Like 1

I agree. I am surprised how shitty we are looking at this point. It's like we were very reactive which is surprising. Hopefully I'm just an idiot armchair dr. I'll go to the cr for the rest

I would lay odds that there are multiple cases right now in every single large American city.  We just don't know because we don't have the ability to test.  So I find it funny that my Company also instituted a quarantine for anyone traveling through the known impacted countries. I mean, I get why they did it.  You can only go off the actual facts you have.   Odds of exposure still obviously very low right now regardless, but I can't fathom there is that much more of a statistical difference in becoming infected traveling through Rome vs. traveling through any other airport/city in the US.  The real thing every company/school should be focusing on and hammering home is that if you feel sick keep your ass (or your kids) at home.

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

This whole thing is a perfect glimpse into the complete narcissistic culture that we live in.

Take five fucking minutes and ponder the statistical likelihood that this is the singular virus that ends civilization.

Literally not one person (or talking head that I've seen) has said that dude.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I would lay odds that there are multiple cases right now in every single large American city.  We just don't know because we don't have the ability to test.  So I find it funny that my Company also instituted a quarantine for anyone traveling through the known impacted countries. I mean, I get why they did it.  You can only go off the actual facts you have.   Odds of exposure still obviously very low right now regardless, but I can't fathom there is that much more of a statistical difference in becoming infected traveling through Rome vs. traveling through any other airport/city in the US.  The real thing every company/school should be focusing on and hammering home is that if you feel sick keep your ass (or your kids) at home.

My company put hand sanitizer out throughout the office. 

35 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Not picking on you, but this is why I posted my non-expert projections.

I hardly see either one of them as "sky is falling".

I just have not seen one other mention of what even a relatively minor pandemic would actually mean in human lives.

100 million deaths in a global pandemic with 7.5 billion plus people on the planet?  Umm, that's not "doomsday", "apocalyptic", or "sky is falling" level.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Spanish Flu killed 50 Million and infected 500 million when the Earth only had 1.5 Billion people.

I'm not talking Black Death numbers here.  I'm not taking extinction level event.

I hope it doesn't turn out badly, but I've been watching this for over a month now, and this is not like anything anyone has seen for the last century.  This is not like Ebola or Sars 1.0

It’s perfectly logical to expect this to kill twice as many people as the spanish flu. Medicine, technology, hygiene, and public awareness has regressed so much in the past 100 years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

This whole thing is a perfect glimpse into the complete narcissistic culture that we live in.

Take five fucking minutes and ponder the statistical likelihood that this is the singular virus that ends civilization.

it's not gonna end civilization, dude.  there's more to it than that.

4 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Not a direct quote. He said the Russia Impeachment hoax failed and the Democrats have moved on to how he has handled the Coronavirus as their "new hoax" 

4thand5 got baited by the media headlines. 

Explain how that’s not calling the Coronavirus a hoax?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TriStone said:

I'd like to hear what you mean by this.  I think you can expand on the statement and inform without throwing in editorial comments.  I keep hearing about CDC funding cuts, but according to AP Fact Check, the administration's proposed funding cuts were "overruled by Congress, where there’s strong bipartisan support for agencies such as the CDC and NIH. Instead, financing has increased."  So, how exactly was the CDC hamstrung from the beginning?

Their main budget wasn’t cut, but the CDC grant program for state and local governments has been underfunded for several years. A big part of those grants was to detect diseases. They also had 80% of their funding cut from a program that worked with foreign countries to fight epidemics. 

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-cut-cdc-budget/

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

it won't end civilization. But in regards to your statement, way back on page 59 i was wondering if this would fundamentally change american societal interactions. Until we get a vaccine, I think it will but I hope thats where the effect ends. And more importantly, regardless of which party is in the whitehouse, I hope the CDC does its damn job and learns from this outbreak's fuckups. 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Interesting to see the 2 camps of posters developing on the thread. 1 side wants to discredit any negative news, the other side wants to discredit any positive news.

I think there’s probably 3-4 camps, but you can divide them in two for the sake of argument.   The second camp, that wants to discredit any positive news is kind of where I fall into.  I think there is plenty feeding into that attitude.  

Example #1:  Earlier this week, our political and financial leaders went out there publicly and said it’s contained/being contained.  As they were saying that, the CDC was telling people to prepare, and that the possibility was high.  And then in then in the midst of those conflicting announcements, we get The California Case where there were no links to travel.  Then we get the news tonight of another one.  These things are the opposite of being contained.   And the repeated statements of it being contained, etc. were also coming out of China early on, and are still coming out of Iran.

Example #2, the more important example:  More than a few of us watched from early on when China was struggling to contain things, and clearly losing, and clearly understating the problems.   The politicians and some talking heads were acting like “it could only happen in China, it’s the China flu, no need to worry!”  And plenty believed them, and Iran actually kind of reaffirmed that it could only happen in such places.  But at the same time Iran was blowing up (quietly), South Korea was blowing up publicly, and then Italy.    So now we have three countries who seemed to have mirrored China’s loss of control over it/growth and are desperately trying to contain it.  

If we could fast forward a month or two, it would be interesting to compare the spread of confirmed cases between Italy and South Korea.  My guess is that they would match fairly well, and I think that those halcyon days when China was taking about a a handful of cases, and then 50 and then 100 new ones , would actually match up with ROK/Italy, just with an extra 0 on the end.  

I bet the last week that South Korea went through, culminating with 500-600 cases a day over the past few days, would match with China in early January.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Reread the sentence "He said the Russia Impeachment hoax failed and the Democrats have moved on to how he has handled the Coronavirus as their "new hoax"" 

I read it a couple times. Try rereading the sentence, except with logic and common sense applied, and get down to the actual message

“This one hoax failed, now this is their new hoax”. 

3 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Their main budget wasn’t cut, but the CDC grant program for state and local governments has been underfunded for several years. A big part of those grants was to detect diseases. They also had 80% of their funding cut from a program that worked with foreign countries to fight epidemics. 

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-cut-cdc-budget/

Same AP article that clarifies CDC funding thing.

"Some public health experts say a bigger concern than White House budgets is the steady erosion of a CDC grant program for state and local public health emergency preparedness — the front lines in detecting and battling new disease. But that decline was set in motion by a congressional budget measure that predates Trump."

Just now, Helobious said:

I read it a couple times. Try rereading the sentence, except with logic and common sense applied, and get down to the actual message

If you think he is calling the virus a "hoax" then you are an intellectually dishonest individual letting your hate for a man cloud your vision. I am no fan of Trump but to me it is crystal clear he does not think the virus is "fake" or a "hoax" 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

If you think he is calling the virus a "hoax" then you are an intellectually dishonest individual letting your hate for a man cloud your vision. I am no fan of Trump but to me it is crystal clear he does not think the virus is "fake" or a "hoax" 

No, but he is definitely aiming for it to disappear like a miracle. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/28/politics/donald-trump-coronavirus-miracle-stock-markets/index.html

23 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Be honest with yourself, that's not what he said. That is what clickbait headlines say he said. 

19 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Not a direct quote. He said the Russia Impeachment hoax failed and the Democrats have moved on to how he has handled the Coronavirus as their "new hoax" 

4thand5 got baited by the media headlines. 

You can read it however you want, but he’s still claiming publicly it’s just 15 people in this country.  Tonight, Friday. The 28th of February, 2020.  Only 15 people, as Oregon and California just added more cases and Washington State has a late press conference scheduled.    And he’s completely ignoring that we have dozens of the cruise ship cases in the US, and he’s ignoring the hundreds under quarantine.  

He is downplaying it with misleading numbers.   

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

You shouldn't put quotes around your interpretation of what he said as if it's a direct quote of what he said.

Link to 2:14 video.

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away