Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

8 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Perfect.  I'll add it to my wife's to-do list when she's up at 2am to feed the baby.

You are on north padre right? How’s the Bluff HEB? We can still get pretty much everything at IGA in Port A besides toilet paper. Usually can buy 2 individual rolls though. Next time I see a package of 6 or more Charmin on the shelf I will know the end of this is near.

I took an antibody test today and it was negative. I haven’t been sick at all but I travelled some in February and I was in direct contact with a large number of patients up until about March 9 when we started winding down.

I didn’t expect it to be positive because the positive PCR tests for active COVID infection in Texas are still under 10% positive and that’s in sick patients, so it seems like the prevalence in this part of the country is thankfully low.

I looked up the data on the test that was used and sensitivity is reported as 87%, so false negatives are definitely possible.

Oh well, it was easy and inexpensive. No harm in checking and I’ll continue full precautions just like I would’ve done if no test was available.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wild_turkey said:

I took an antibody test today and it was negative. I haven’t been sick at all but I travelled some in February and I was in direct contact with a large number of patients up until about March 9 when we started winding down.

I didn’t expect it to be positive because the positive PCR tests for active COVID infection in Texas are still under 10% positive and that’s in sick patients, so it seems like the prevalence in this part of the country is thankfully low.

I looked up the data on the test that was used and sensitivity is reported as 87%, so false negatives are definitely possible.

Oh well, it was easy and inexpensive. No harm in checking and I’ll continue full precautions just like I would’ve done if no test was available.

Describe inexpensive and how did you get it?  Did you have access to it just because you are  a doctor?

Uganda Police not fucking around. We need more of this. My local basketball court had 12-15 kids out there playing this evening. (no idea where he is from, but love the message) 

Edited by InkaUtexas
clarifying nationality.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, justhookit said:

You are on north padre right? How’s the Bluff HEB? We can still get pretty much everything at IGA in Port A besides toilet paper. Usually can buy 2 individual rolls though. Next time I see a package of 6 or more Charmin on the shelf I will know the end of this is near.

Not I. San Diego. So far, the only challenging things to find have been eggs and baby wipes.

2 hours ago, Hate said:

@ChiTownDoc...any in Chicago getting the hydroxychloroquine & antibiotic combo?

Really not many in the hospitals.  If people get more sick some other antivirals are definitely being used.  Antibiotics are used early because the infiltrates in early CXR could be a bacterial infection too.  I’ll try to post a radiology report on a bit.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Really not many in the hospitals.  If people get more sick some other antivirals are definitely being used.  Antibiotics are used early because the infiltrates in early CXR could be a bacterial infection too.  I’ll try to post a radiology report on a bit.  

I repped you like I know what  radiology report is, but I don't. Will you explain it for us too? 

• Like 1

Good radiologist at Baylor Scott and White.  Patient was mid 40’s.  In great shape.  Ex all-conference division I QB.  Had to be hospitalized but recovered well.  Can see it can legit fuck your lungs pretty good even if you’re young and healthy.  Please don’t share with JuniorMiller.  

62A232B1-F3BC-40B9-A1D6-95C211B8830B.jpeg

Edited by ChiTownDoc
Edit: the patient shared this with me. Didn’t show his name but don’t want anyone freaking about the background I gave.
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

I repped you like I know what  radiology report is, but I don't. Will you explain it for us too? 

Just a chest x ray from someone positive.  You usually have the CXR well before COVID results if they’re in the ER.   And see my post above.  

4 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Uganda Police not fucking around. We need more of this. My local basketball court had 12-15 kids out there playing this evening. (no idea where he is from, but love the message) 

I know it's not funny, but for a second I felt like I was watching this movie

Gods GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

No katfid.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

What store are you talking about? Sounds interesting

Imperfect Foods.  They deliver "ugly" produce and have expanded to other items including dairy, meat, etc.  Selection varies depending on the week and your ability to pick & choose opens up about 3 days before your order is set to arrive.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

So? That was 14 years ago. It would be cheaper to purchase new ventilators today than to service those ventilators for 14 years. Medical equipment is expensive to keep up.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

So? That was 14 years ago. It would be cheaper to purchase new ventilators today than to service those ventilators for 14 years. Medical equipment is expensive to keep up.

The auction was 5 years ago.  The vents were purchased in 2006.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BNB said:

1580900133-5e3a9f2567c51.jpg?width=400&h

I play a strategy game with people from all over the world, and someone just posted this.  I had not seen this. SIAP.

Someone should get shot for misdiagnosing all those cases. (no jr.)

6 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

The drive-thru antibody test clinic in South Austin is around $50.  

4 hours ago, pacman said:

One still needs to "qualify", based on symptoms or doctor rec, to take this?

I’d like to know more about this. I was pretty damn sick March 13-16 with many of the COVID symptoms. Would be nice to know if I had it, to provide some measure of comfort to those in my closed loop.

4 hours ago, Uncle Boobs said:

Against my better judgment and several beers deep, I have taken you up on this, potentially ending my streak of totally worthless posts. I have done 3 and 7 day averages only on the Worldometer data. 

Also I have annotated my favorite moments on shaggybevo during this virus. I dont claim that the dates and information is exactly correct but its exactly how I remember it in my tiny head.

Hope the file formats correctly

CHEERS.

2a4e0bbd0cfbd6552bd1f28e4433c494.jpg

tenor.gif?itemid=7965371

46 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Cities & states can't operate under a deficit.  This is why a Federal backstop is vital . . .

Sorry, shouldn't have made the political jab on this thread.  Thought I was on the other one.  Can't edit.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

From a friend who lives in India:

Spoiler

We're just over halfway through the lockdown now, assuming the government doesn't extend it. It has produced a great deal of struggle in the country. In what is being called the largest migration of people since Partition (when India and Pakistan were separated in 1947), hundreds of thousands of now-jobless laborers left the cities to walk hundreds of miles back to their villages. The state governments are now stopping the migration and closing their borders. There's no social distancing happening there and the migrants are receiving various treatments from police, usually bad.

We're hearing rumors of deaths and suicides from hunger, and I'm sure some have happened, but I don't expect we'll ever know how many. Many of these people really do live day-to-day and are unable to buy food even for a week. This lockdown has hurt them so much that Prime Minister Modi had to apologize for the hardships they're suffering. And this is a man who does not apologize.

I think we're done with HEB for the remainder of this. For all the caterwauling people do about how prepared they are and how awesome their logistics are, they seem to constantly be out of a lot of shit that every other store, including Wal-Mart has. We've done 3 curbside orders in the last 3 weeks, all had to be 5-7 days in advance. I set today's for an 8am pickup so as to hopefully get most of the things on my order. Just got the text that half of my order isn't available. Last week when I showed up, the girl told me that eggs had been cancelled off my order, but there were probably some in the store if I wanted to go in.. WTF. I understand that this is a crazy time, but it seems odd that they're not prioritizing curbside orders over the in-store stock to discourage social crowding. 

I think we're done with HEB for the remainder of this. For all the caterwauling people do about how prepared they are and how awesome their logistics are, they seem to constantly be out of a lot of shit that every other store, including Wal-Mart has. We've done 3 curbside orders in the last 3 weeks, all had to be 5-7 days in advance. I set today's for an 8am pickup so as to hopefully get most of the things on my order. Just got the text that half of my order isn't available. Last week when I showed up, the girl told me that eggs had been cancelled off my order, but there were probably some in the store if I wanted to go in.. WTF. I understand that this is a crazy time, but it seems odd that they're not prioritizing curbside orders over the in-store stock to discourage social crowding. 

It's just because such a massive amount of people are choosing to go there.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

This is very relevant because all the same people were in charge, right?

DeBlasio yes and I bet a shit ton of the bureaucracy. NYC has about a $90,000,000,000 budget, per year. If they auctioned them they should have used funds to buy newer models.

They didn’t. It is relevant because they auctioned them and didn’t get new ones.

I said before that a lot of this will show how our bureaucracy kills. I think it has.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It's just because such a massive amount of people are choosing to go there.

Oh I know. I don't hate HEB - but at this point I would rather just do curbside somewhere else than actually go into their store. I feel like they aren't taking steps to encourage more curbside and less in-store. 

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

They chose to do neither purchase new or use some $$ from NYC’s annual $90,000,000,000 budget to maintain.

Bureaucracy has failed NYC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I’d like to know more about this. I was pretty damn sick March 13-16 with many of the COVID symptoms. Would be nice to know if I had it, to provide some measure of comfort to those in my closed loop.

https://myremedy.com/remedy-opens-drive-through-testing-open-air-clinic-in-south-austin/

You’ll do a brief phone interview then they’ll assign you a time if you meet the criteria. The ex called Monday and was getting tested same-day.  She has no symptoms but had a flu in late January which lasted about 7-10 days which she suspected may be Covid so they told her to swing by.  

• Like 5

Article full text

Health officials in South Korea are feeling stumped after dozens of coronavirus sufferers retested positive.

In all, 51 victims from the south-central city of Daegu and its surrounding province were diagnosed with the virus after being released from quarantine, stated the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

But there is one possible reason for the strange occurrence — the test results could be a result of the reactivation of the novel coronavirus, health authorities said on Monday from the capital of Seoul.

Jeong Eun-kyeong, the director-general of Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, asserted that the virus was most likely reactivated rather than people being reinfected after they tested positive a second time in a relatively short time after quarantine.

The health authorities claimed a team of investigators had been dispatched to Daegu to conduct an epidemiological investigation into the 51 cases.

On Monday, the Asian nation of approximately 52 million inhabitants recorded fewer than 50 new cases of the novel coronavirus, bringing the country’s total infection tally to just over 10,000.

It marked the lowest daily increase since late February, according to Yonhap News Agency.

11 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

https://myremedy.com/remedy-opens-drive-through-testing-open-air-clinic-in-south-austin/

You’ll do a brief phone interview then they’ll assign you a time if you meet the criteria. The ex called Monday and was getting tested same-day.  She has no symptoms but had a flu in late January which lasted about 7-10 days which she suspected may be Covid so they told her to swing by.  

Awesome. Thanks, Chet!

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away