Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Pro tip: The lines at Central Market on north Lamar seem to be shorter later in the day.  Not sure if this holds true for other stores or not.

Nope. As someone who grocery shops for others as part of the gig economy, the lines at HEB start early before they open, and then are gone until about 3p when they start up again and then just remain until about 7p. The good news is that even being last in a line of 50 wil still get you inside in less than 10 minutes. Usually less than 5 minutes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

I think it's premature for universities to make this decision, things are going to look very different through an entirely new lens a few months from now, than they do now.

Aside from that, universities are also going to discover that there's a big difference between students and parents being willing to put up with online schooling in the midst of a global pandemic and making the best of it for the final 1/4 of a schoolyear, versus willingly paying for an entire semester of compromised online schooling, premeditated and with full information at their disposal.  

Parents and students are going to revolt at paying $37,500 for a semester of online instruction at Ivy League/expensive private schools. If I had a kid I would tell them to take the semester off and get a job at an Amazon warehouse or some shit. I would not pay a cent for online education at those prices 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I've heard people say that.  I'd be interested to see proof, if you have any links to the statutes?

Well, the county judge (and the county commissioners court that she heads) is an elected official and part of the judicial branch of government. The governor is part of the executive branch of government. So, there is an element of separation of powers at play. Additionally, many of the county judges' responsibilities and powers are granted by the legislature and spread across different parts of Texas law. So, to the extent the governor issues an order impeding those powers, if not based on a specific granting in either the Texas constitution or by the state legislature , it intrudes on to both the other branches of government. 

Here is a primer: https://www.county.org/TAC/media/TACMedia/About Texas Counties/Guide-to-Laws-2018.pdf

Here is the portion of the Government Code related to emergency management, which covers responsibilities of the governor and county judges: https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/GV/htm/GV.418.htm

Oh, I guess I should include the Constitution too: https://tlc.texas.gov/docs/legref/TxConst.pdf

But, this isn't really my area of practice, so I'm not familiar with the particulars or the case law. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I've heard people say that.  I'd be interested to see proof, if you have any links to the statutes?

I think Jenkins specifically said it in his statement, talking about people can then go have their pickup basketball games, etc. I'll look for it.

Edited by C-Man

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Quarantining the actual SICK people, is a pretty important distinction here.

This, is not that,

Also, above it says taking control of the Army.  was he quarantining someone in the Army or was he using the Army to force a citizen to quarantine?

quarantining a soldier, who is sick, under your command seems like the proper thing to do.

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Also, above it says taking control of the Army.  was he quarantining someone in the Army or was he using the Army to force a citizen to quarantine?

quarantining a soldier, who is sick, under your command seems like the proper thing to do.

Yea it’s a stupid post. But he’s a cloak room moron. 

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 2

Well, the county judge (and the county commissioners court that she heads) is an elected official and part of the judicial branch of government. The governor is part of the executive branch of government. So, there is an element of separation of powers at play. Additionally, many of the county judges' responsibilities and powers are granted by the legislature and spread across different parts of Texas law. So, to the extent the governor issues an order impeding those powers, if not based on a specific granting in either the Texas constitution or by the state legislature , it intrudes on to both the other branches of government. 
Here is a primer: https://www.county.org/TAC/media/TACMedia/About Texas Counties/Guide-to-Laws-2018.pdf
Here is the portion of the Government Code related to emergency management, which covers responsibilities of the governor and county judges: https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/GV/htm/GV.418.htm
Oh, I guess I should include the Constitution too: https://tlc.texas.gov/docs/legref/TxConst.pdf
But, this isn't really my area of practice, so I'm not familiar with the particulars or the case law. 

It is my practice area, and you did a good job. He is absolutely overstepping his authority - he’s the executive, he’s not a God, separation of powers and the Constitution are still a thing - but nobody can afford to fight about it right now.
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

It is my practice area, and you did a good job. He is absolutely overstepping his authority - he’s the executive, he’s not a God, separation of powers and the Constitution are still a thing - but nobody can afford to fight about it right now.

Thanks bt and dahobbs.  Just wondering about the legalities wrt state constitution and other laws applicable.

I'm certainly in favor of counties/municipalities deciding what is best for their communities.

9 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My local Walmart, which happens to be the grocery store of choice for most, says they will have curbside pickup sometime in late May. 
the 1/4 sized Albertsons seems to have no intention to do anything at all.  
it’s as if no positive tests means do as little as possible to keep it under control. 

normally, mid May is when people from all over the world start pouring into town on their way to or from the park. We’ll see what happens then. 

The gates to the park might be open in mid May, but the concessions will be extremely limited through out the summer... especially without any J1s available.

Park county seems to be winning!

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Abbott will say he overrules him. I actually don't think the governor has the legal authority to do that though. 

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Thanks bt and dahobbs.  Just wondering about the legalities wrt state constitution and other laws applicable.

I'm certainly in favor of counties/municipalities deciding what is best for their communities.

Obviously not my area of expertise, but I assume Abbott is going to claim this power under the Texas Disaster Act, which the AAS had an article on recently.  His last executive order claimed that it overrode any local restrictions that were in conflict with his orders. Here is the language used in the last order:

This executive order shall supersede any conflicting order issued by local officials in response to the COVID-19 disaster, but only to the extent that such a local order restricts essential services allowed by this executive order or allows gatherings prohibited by this executive order.  I hereby suspend Sections 418.1015(b) and 418.108 of the Texas Government Code, Chapter 81, Subchapter E of the Texas Health and Safety Code, and any other relevant statutes, to the extent necessary to ensure that local officials do not impose restrictions inconsistent with this executive order, provided that local officials may enforce this executive order as well as local restrictions that are consistent with this executive order.

I recall Travis county changing their rule on construction in response.  Who knows.  His power under this act is already being litigated and will definitely continue to be.  

Edited by bschoolprof

I recall Travis county changing their rule on construction in response.  Who knows.  I'm positive this will be litigated.  

He is absolutely claiming his authority under Chapter 418. But his power to supersede statutes is actually limited under that chapter. It won’t be litigated, though - it’s not in anyone’s interest in having that fight. They need to work together. And Abbott is talking a good game of bravado and power, but other than the churches thing, he’s actually working ok with local governments.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

He is absolutely claiming his authority under Chapter 418. But his power to supersede statutes is actually limited under that chapter. It won’t be litigated, though - it’s not in anyone’s interest in having that fight. They need to work together. And Abbott is talking a good game of bravado and power, but other than the churches thing, he’s actually working ok with local governments.

Thanks.  The AAS article (may be paywalled for you) indicates several suits have been filed regarding his power under the act, from both the right and left.  

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

It's Article 4 of the Texas Constitution.

The legislature can overrule or preempt local authorities, doesn't look like the governor can.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This has already been addressed by that group. Something like locking down sock people is a quarantine, locking down everyone is ...I forget the language but that’s the distinction they are drawing. 

Well, not everyone "locked down" is sick.  And our "lock down" is not equivalent to quarantine, either.

• Like 2

My grandfather is 93 and has been on two trips two the Panola General Hospital twice in the last two weeks or so. They have 55 cases and 4 deaths. Things aren't looking good. My grandmother is seven years younger and has had a lot of health problems as well. Things aren't looking good for them. This is gonna suck for those of us with parents or grandparents in similar situations.gonna have to take the great grandkids for a visit so we can see them while maintaining appropriate distance on the porch, as it might be the last time they get to see each other. Hopefully the oldest will have some memories of them.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, XYZ said:

Why are there so many commercial flights then?

Same reason there are still some commercial flights into the United States from Europe, Latin America and other spots all over the world.  The closed border doesn’t apply to citizens who were abroad and are returning to their home, nor to essential people and goods that must be transported. 

48 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I missed what he said about churches. Mind recapping?

13 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

No one’s personal perspective is going to change anyone’s opinion. To be fair, there are valid points on both sides. The fact that it has become political is pathetic. I highly doubt most of us staying at home want this shit. Unless you are agoraphobic or a lazy asshole who just wants to stay at home we all want to go back to work. 
I do not think I am picking a side but every time Trump speaks he gives ammunition to the media. Period. Doesn’t matter what side you are on. It’s like handing a loaded gun and more bullets to people that don’t care for you. 
My brother (who posts on here not this thread but I wish he would) works every day in hospitals in the Austin area. He is my hero. Just as are the people around him and work in other places. What pisses me off is this has become some kind of “what if we had done this” vs “”we didn’t do enough”  vs “the figures are wrong” vs “yes the figures are wrong but it’s Trump’s fault” vs the figures are wrong but it is “just a virus.”

I realize take it to the cloak room of bs. Honestly I get it. Just say how y’all feel. Either you think this is bs and screw it. Go back to normal and whoever dies dies. Or you say the only reason you don’t want things to go back to normal is because you are into people getting paid for sitting on their asses. Or you say hey let’s see this for what it is an unprecedented virus and we do not know what it can do.  But this subtly is the suck. Just say what you fucking mean. Pick a goddamn camp. Since this virus is unprecedented let’s go. Just stop with the whole debate about figures and whether or not they are right. My two cents.

Haha. What?!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

Haha. What?!

Hopefully, forr you, your response  to my post will get Ya some points. Or me negative ones. But since this thread is going on epic here it would maybe behoove the mods to just let us fly. Hopefully this is not against HIPPA to post but two weeks ago a 44 year old patient who had been in isolation from Covid was doing fine..all of the tests they did at Seton said he was fine.  They checked on him. He was fine. 30 minutes later cardiac arrest. Died. He had no pre-existing conditions so far they can find. Died from Covid. I hear about them every day.  Everyone knows each case is different. This is just one. And they are not all old or black and brown or have pre-existing conditions. 

15 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Hopefully, forr you, your response  to my post will get Ya some points. Or me negative ones. But since this thread is going on epic here it would maybe behoove the mods to just let us fly. Hopefully this is not against HIPPA to post but two weeks ago a 44 year old patient who had been in isolation from Covid was doing fine..all of the tests they did at Seton said he was fine.  They checked on him. He was fine. 30 minutes later cardiac arrest. Died. He had no pre-existing conditions so far they can find. Died from Covid. I hear about them every day.  Everyone knows each case is different. This is just one. And they are not all old or black and brown or have pre-existing conditions. 

you can go let it rip in the politics thread.

The woman staying with me for the  lockdown went to visit her best friend who lives 100 yards up the road and was not allowed in her building because someone died there yesterday and they suspect it could be the virus. This friend comes over once or twice a week, and is the only visitor we have had for the last month. I am waiting to see if the dead guy shows up in the official statistics. So far people who have died locally are not being counted as virus victims. 

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

There were some sketchy pop-up websites stirring up some of those cities, the kinds of sites that can be spun up in a few minutes, with a $10 domain name and $2 hosting.

But here in Austin, it was the full on Infowars/Alex Jones crowd, and they’ve been doing that kind of stuff for years.   From my run-ins with that crowd over the years, many of them don’t seem to be...working a 9-to-5 job.   I don’t know what the Austin equivalent of a parent’s basement is, but I think plenty of them reside in whatever it is.  Maybe it’s the proverbial garage apartment.  

Y’all would be proud of Port Aransas. There was a protest today organized by a local hotel owner and I won’t say which one but I’ve always heard Amelia’s Landing would be a shitty place to stay. Anyway the people protesting to open up the island to tourism were outnumbered by the people protesting the protest. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The woman staying with me for the  lockdown went to visit her best friend who lives 100 yards up the road and was not allowed in her building because someone died there yesterday and they suspect it could be the virus. This friend comes over once or twice a week, and is the only visitor we have had for the last month. I am waiting to see if the dead guy shows up in the official statistics. So far people who have died locally are not being counted as virus victims. 
Well at least you're not calling them your "girlfriends" anymore.

8707e29507074134a2bc3f1c7e6d47db.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hmbre97 said:

Well at least you're not calling them your "girlfriends" anymore.

8707e29507074134a2bc3f1c7e6d47db.jpg

I have lived with her for 7 of the 11 months I have known her, so she was a girlfriend but now we are friends with boom-boom, who happen to be living together again during the lockdown. I am not paying her to live with me, but I do buy food and other stuff she needs. I also give her money to send to her family to buy food. I don't know what you would call that as I also send money to women for food who I am not having sex with. I think I could refer to her as a girlfriend if I want.

Perhaps you would live with a woman for six months and not consider her a girlfriend. That sounds weird to me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

No one’s personal perspective is going to change anyone’s opinion. To be fair, there are valid points on both sides. The fact that it has become political is pathetic. I highly doubt most of us staying at home want this shit. Unless you are agoraphobic or a lazy asshole who just wants to stay at home we all want to go back to work. 
I do not think I am picking a side but every time Trump speaks he gives ammunition to the media. Period. Doesn’t matter what side you are on. It’s like handing a loaded gun and more bullets to people that don’t care for you. 
My brother (who posts on here not this thread but I wish he would) works every day in hospitals in the Austin area. He is my hero. Just as are the people around him and work in other places. What pisses me off is this has become some kind of “what if we had done this” vs “”we didn’t do enough”  vs “the figures are wrong” vs “yes the figures are wrong but it’s Trump’s fault” vs the figures are wrong but it is “just a virus.”

I realize take it to the cloak room of bs. Honestly I get it. Just say how y’all feel. Either you think this is bs and screw it. Go back to normal and whoever dies dies. Or you say the only reason you don’t want things to go back to normal is because you are into people getting paid for sitting on their asses. Or you say hey let’s see this for what it is an unprecedented virus and we do not know what it can do.  But this subtly is the suck. Just say what you fucking mean. Pick a goddamn camp. Since this virus is unprecedented let’s go. Just stop with the whole debate about figures and whether or not they are right. My two cents.

I, honestly, have no fucking clue what your point is. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away