Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Just now, Cheeseweasel said:

In the middle of an issue, data is rarely accurate. I think it's ok to be skeptical about the data and ask honest questions about what it tells us.

For example, people who are in nursing homes rarely leave so is this virus just spiking the death rate short term but will have only moderate impact on the numbers of deaths long term?

Data needs to be viewed over a longer period of time to draw true conclusions. "Undercount vs. Overcount" is just something people argue on Twitter.

Fair enough. I certainly wasn't trying to suggest an undercount to any significant degree, just that, if anything, there's probably more Covid deaths falling through the cracks than there are those being mislabeled. I think everyone in the medical field is doing their level best in a difficult time. To your point, how the rest of the year plays out will be interesting if we're losing as many people who weren't long for this world as it appears.

I'm sure the Surly elitists would frown upon it, but all this talk of steaks makes me want to hit up Texas Roadhouse.

They serve a damn good steak, but since it's affordable enough for the sub $100k salary type, I'm sure it's considered a filthy shithole serving slop.

Amirite?!?

5 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Look, I don’t tote a gun around in public but I have more respect for someone boldly displaying their rights in public during a peaceful protest as opposed to wearing masks, running people over with vehicles,  looting, and burning shit down. These people aren’t as extreme as you want to make them out to be. 

Uh, ok? I have no idea what your point is. I didn't say that gun-toting protestors were worse than looters. I just said they look like tools. 

If they don't want to be seen as extreme and would rather have a clear, relatable message, hey, maybe don't kit yourself out like you're in a Michael Bay movie.

• Like 1

Just now, Somnio said:

I'm sure the Surly elitists would frown upon it, but all this talk of steaks makes me want to hit up Texas Roadhouse.

They serve a damn good steak, but since it's affordable enough for the sub $100k salary type, I'm sure it's considered a filthy shithole serving slop.

Amirite?!?

Correct

But I also think the super high price streak houses are for pretentious douche bags.   Learn to cook a steak and everything else sucks donkey balls.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Look, I don’t tote a gun around in public but I have more respect for someone boldly displaying their rights in public during a peaceful protest as opposed to wearing masks, running people over with vehicles,  looting, and burning shit down. These people aren’t as extreme as you want to make them out to be. 

Why is this guy wearing a hawaiian shirt?

michigan-anti-quarantine-protest-05-gty-

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Loco said:

Why is this guy wearing a hawaiian shirt?

michigan-anti-quarantine-protest-05-gty-

Ha, Look at these fucking dorks. These are little kids playing soldier. Nothing more. You're not in a war. You're not cracking doors down in Fallujah. You are a little kid that likes to play dress up. You're the same attention whore that posts on instagram, you're just wearing a different costume. 

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Peaceful means the protestors don’t require flashing their big guns in public to intimidate anyone. It’s pussy wannabe tough guy behavior. So of course you condone it.

Again, what’s the point? Shoot the cops? The governor? The legislators? The public health officials? The virus? When and why does the 2nd amendment trump the first (right to peaceably assemble)? 

He didn't say it makes them look extreme. He said it makes them look like tools, which it does. You bring rifles out and assemble in public and people are going to gloss over whatever you wrote on posterboard and think, "Woah, those dudes have rifles." The protesters know this, but they want to play army.

What makes them a fringe is simply that they're on the opposite side of a significant majority of the public, a rare feat in today's climate.

Ha, Look at these fucking dorks. These are little kids playing soldier. Nothing more. You're not in a war. You're not cracking doors down in Fallujah. You are a little kid that likes to play dress up. You're the same attention whore that posts on instagram, you're just wearing a different costume. 

The military gear means hes serious. the Hawaiian shirt means he’s a chilled laid back civilian and the mask indicates he has a job and need the income.

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Peaceful means the protestors don’t require flashing their big guns in public to intimidate anyone. It’s pussy wannabe tough guy behavior. So of course you condone it.

You make some bold assumptions about me based off my belief that there’s nothing morally wrong or offensive with their actions. I’d support your right to counter protest that they look like tools, as well. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

The military gear means hes serious. the Hawaiian shirt means he’s a chilled laid back civilian and the mask indicates he has a job and need the income.

I just assume everyone is in the ICP until proven otherwise. 

juggalos ryan broderick GIF

Guest Lobo

I thought he was wearing the Hawaiin shirt to blend in with the other fat, stupid people on his Carnival Cruise trip, departing 1 August.  

Only time I ever handle a weapon is to use it (target shooting, not really a hunter) or to maintain it.  (I mean I guess you're sorta handling it during transportation as well).

If there was ever a Supreme Court ruling on a right to bear arms case, I suppose I'd at least entertain the idea of attending a demonstration with an unloaded weapon on me.  

But I cannot fathom why in the world you'd leave your house to go protest the right to eat wherever you want because of microscopic virus shut us in for awhile, and think, "Yep, my attitude towards economic and social liberties is best reflected with this semi-automatic rifle."  And then to run back inside and grab extra magazines just in case people miss the irony.  That's not a political observation, it's just citizen communication 101.  

If they were even half-smart, show up and setup an impromptu unregulated open-air flea market on the Capitol Grounds.  Sell shit to another, garden raised vegetables, homemade masks, weed, homemade beer, ammunition, political schwag, grilled cheese sandwiches, grain alcohol, etc.  whatever you want.  Engage in eating, trading, drinking, smoking, assembly, prayer/formal worship, engaging in commerce, all with your fellow citizen and all with a clear message that says "We will not stay home, we will not be economically limited, we will not be told how to engage with our communities."  You can still have a pistol or rifle with you at the market.   That's a fucking protest that actually gets something done. 

But taking guns right up to police and screaming at them.  All you've done is provide photo ops for the next 25 years to anti-police violence groups.  Whenever somebody is beat or shot by a cop, the cops and politicians will have to watch footage of these anti-lockdown assholes over and over again and get asked, "You didn't beat them up but you shot my 14-year old unarmed son in the back."  Cops are gonna have to live with this shit every fucking day for decades, congrats on adding to the pile of bullshit and terror they and their families already have to live with.  Must feel good to be such a man.  

Chambers of Commerce and local leaders are ending these restrictions, not the tough guy who has Chili's honey-chipotle ribs coming out of his mag pouch and duty belt.

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

But I cannot fathom why in the world you'd leave your house to go protest the right to eat wherever you want

You guys aren’t really stupid enough to believe this is the basis of their protest, right? I get that simplifying it makes it much easier to make fun of them, but in their minds each time the government takes control of one more thing, it’s another brush stroke in the larger painting of control. I don’t buy into it, but I understand their way of thinking. These types of people will dig their heels in on almost any threat to their constitutional rights because they enjoy their freedoms as much as some enjoy the protection provided by the government.

• Like 2

Guest Lobo

Casual Encounter-I get your valid point but These people (and millions unlike them) have already abdicated hundreds of constitutionally protected rights back to their federal and state governments which took them away wrongfully in the first place.  And not only did they not protest, they smiled while it was happening.  

I found the "hang out at home for awhile while a million Americans go to hospital" request that had no real legal/threat of violence teeth to it to be a curious time to gun up and hit the streets.  

Edited by Lobo

57 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Amirite?!?

Had some really good prime rib at a Texas Roadhouse.  For the price I thought the quality and quantity was pretty good.

50 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Because the Hawaiian shirt is the official costume of a crazy internet group who are actively rooting for a 2nd Civil War which they refer to as the boogaloo.

For real?

Think I saw that termon a gun forum the other day.

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

For real?

Brat-didn't you serve under Colonel Tommy Bahama at the siege of Margaritaville on Cinco de Mayo 100 years ago today?  

Edited by Lobo

13 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

You guys aren’t really stupid enough to believe this is the basis of their protest, right? I get that simplifying it makes it much easier to make fun of them, but in their minds each time the government takes control of one more thing, it’s another brush stroke in the larger painting of control. I don’t buy into it, but I understand their way of thinking. These types of people will dig their heels in on almost any threat to their constitutional rights because they enjoy their freedoms as much as some enjoy the protection provided by the government.

Spoiler alert the guys in the Hawaiian shirts "bugaloo gear" want to overthrow the government and form a white ethnostate.  So no, they aren't fighting for 'Merica.  They are baiting for a race war.

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

... These people aren’t as extreme as you want to make them out to be. 

And they are much more extreme than you make them out to be.  Maybe others marching along with them don't know what they stand for or don't care.  Ignorant and armed... America..Fuck yeah!

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 5

We can all protest more effectively about whatever in six more months. Yeah CR

Anyways, back to the steak talk.

Steiner Ranch Steakhouse has not let up on the tv advertising at all during the shutdown. But I’d rather spend my $$ on some prime beef from Sam’s or Costco and grill it myself.

• Like 2

Just now, Armybrat said:

Steiner Ranch Steakhouse has not let up on the tv advertising at all during the shutdown. But I’d rather spend my $$ on some prime beef from Sam’s or Costco and grill it myself.

But the scenery at Steiner is better than at your house.

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Sous Vide  & Searzall / Cast iron finish.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Yep we went to some steak place in. San Antonio that was supposed to be like the magic fairy dust land of great steaks (can't remember the name, it was listed as THE best in the city according to a few google searches).  It was way way over priced, and I've cooked better grocery store manager special steaks than what we paid for there.

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

But they won't get banned.... they won't get banned at all...  Guess who will....

Cry me a river. All that's been said is that they're going about their protesting in a stupid manner that undermines their message and makes them look like tools. Nothing about the message itself. You're letting your own politics put words in people's mouths.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Loco said:

Spoiler alert the guys in the Hawaiian shirts "bugaloo gear" want to overthrow the government and form a white ethnostate.  So no, they aren't fighting for 'Merica.  They are baiting for a race war.

And they are much more extreme than you make them out to be.  Maybe others marching along with them don't know what they stand for or don't care.  Ignorant and armed... America..Fuck yeah!

I think it is just precious those dipshits have you wetting your pants over them.

• Like 3

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away