Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Cry me a river. All that's been said is that they're going about their protesting in a stupid manner that undermines their message and makes them look like tools. Nothing about the message itself. You're letting your own politics put words in people's mouths.

Am I now ?... You must be what they call one of them there  sven-jollies.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

I think it is just precious those dipshits have you wetting your pants over them.

A post was made saying the armed protesters were not as extreme as "you think they are"   I was refuting that comment.  

Sorry if thinking armed racist are extremists is too "political" for you...  wait no, not sorry.  

Guest Lobo

Making fun of protesters is as American as protesting.  Or so the movie "PCU" taught me.  Think about how many great careers were spawned from that movie.  Favreau doesn't get that movie, he doesn't get to make Swingers, and none of us get to watch the Mandolorian during Covid-19.  Think about that.

Anywhoodles...as stated more succinctly above, nobody is getting into the politics behind the message but we are pointing out ways to be more effective. 

2 minutes ago, Loco said:

A post was made saying the armed protesters were not as extreme as "you think they are"   I was refuting that comment.  

Sorry if thinking armed racist are extremists is too "political" for you...  wait no, not sorry.  

Bless your heart.....

Can the gun rights/protests talk go back to the Cloak Room?

In regards to the steak discussion - have you guys not been paying attention to @Royalfan5 at all? Wait to buy your steaks until end of next week or week after when supply ramps back up.  If you can find good meat, you are going to pay double for it (unless you are South Austin's mom who gets an unlimited supply for free).  Now is the perfect time to perfect your chicken wing game.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Maybe I'm being overly-optimistic, but I feel like enough of these reports have been circulated that I'm hearing way less from the "they're counting everything as a Covid death derp, derp" dumbass crowd. It's becoming pretty clear that, if anything, the deaths are being undercounted.

I'm much more likely to take people seriously who fully grasp the reality of the numbers but would like to start phasing open anyway (pretty much where I stand) than I am the ones who purposely minimize and distort this at every turn.

I’m of the opinion that we won’t really know the true death count until multiple economist type analysis are done on this thing, probably a couple years from now. All that being said my guess is that it will show we’ve had more deaths from the virus than what is being reported at the end of the day. 

37 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

No, but I was a member of the Junior Military Police at Fort Brooke, Puerto Rico  almost 70 years ago.

Still have my certificate signed by the post commander.

See, now this is how you humblebrag.....

Edited by smoothlonghorn
Edit: Awww damn, I just "now this'd" a completely innocent compliment for 'Brat--my bad!

12 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

How many on this thread and the other?

The 10 Most Annoying Types of People in the Pandemic

Personally I am most annoyed by:

and

In addition to the Give Me Applebee's or Give Me Death Brigade...

Here's a pic I spotted in the wild on Facebook today, with this caption:"First dinner in a restaurant since March...😁
Not crowded and the food is delicious 🤗
 ":

95879885_10219518294042659_9016790569547

I'm waiting to see reports of the Karens etc walking around with pocket tapes measuring their space.  It will look like some sort of soccer mom sword fight.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I'm waiting to see reports of the Karens etc walking around with pocket tapes measuring their space.  It will look like some sort of soccer mom sword fight.

The idea of 'contact tracing' is being floated out there - you want to stir up a shit-storm, proceed with this nonsense.  

5 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Can the gun rights/protests talk go back to the Cloak Room?

In regards to the steak discussion - have you guys not been paying attention to @Royalfan5 at all? Wait to buy your steaks until end of next week or week after when supply ramps back up.  If you can find good meat, you are going to pay double for it (unless you are South Austin's mom who gets an unlimited supply for free).  Now is the perfect time to perfect your chicken wing game.

Early last week we did a quick turn through Costco (masks, gloves, SD & all the new normal shit) and picked up a six pack of prime NY Strips. Thought the label said $54, which seemed fair, but I dropped it back in the cooler after squinting a bit closer to see the 1 in front of the 5. 
Settled for a four pound pack of “organic” hamburger for $20.

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, SHOOTER12 said:

In a weird way, I think I can fap to that.  The Karen has really impressed me though.  There are so many more factions and nuances to their species, I thought it was just this one monolithic group.  But I've seen Karens like the ones you're describing who feel that a vegan diet prepared in your own home is the only way to survive the pandemic, then there's another type who is screaming that every Jo-Ann Fabric must be reopened and made to stay open 24/7 for the near future.  

53 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

You guys aren’t really stupid enough to believe this is the basis of their protest, right?

If you want to protest social distancing/store closures/mask orders, etc. at a state capitol during a pandemic, you leave your masks at home, you get hundreds of people, shoulder-to-shoulder, you hold hands, and you walk up and in and around the state capitol, or around the steps and doors leading into it.    You and your hundreds of fellow protestors touch everything in sight that you can with your bare hands.  You make them fucking arrest you, or at least acknowledge your presence, trying to unlock your arms/hands from your fellow protestors, etc.   You keep it 100% focused on your belief that they are wrong about the pandemic measures, and you do that by holding hands, touching stuff, etc.

Those anti-vaxxer Karens in California who were locking arms, holding hands, and trying to break through police lines over the pandemic measures did it right, and those Karens were actually physically fighting with the cops.  Everybody watching knew that they were protesting social distancing and stay-at-home orders.  And also that they were insane   But mostly that they were protesting the pandemic orders   

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Loco said:

What? I repped you for making fun of them, even though your pic was a lie. Since I appear to have misunderstood you, and you are taking these dolts seriously, I'm now making fun of you.

• Like 1

So for your morning livestock update, fresh pork and beef values continue to pick up momentum out of the weekend, select is gaining against choice, some of which is seasonal and some of which indicates that ground beef is getting tighter as ground beef demand jumps with re-opening too. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Could roast a side of cow over that. Not sure how the flavor would turn out though.

Not sure either but I bet it'd still taste better than any beef prepared at Chili's or Texas Roadhouse.

4 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Risking your health to eat a shit-quality, over-cooked steak at Chili's.   Awesome. 

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

This. You wait holy shit a month, to go out to eat, and you choose a STEAK at Chili's.

You have failed at life.

These people have had 4-6 weeks of not eating in a restaurant.  There’s tens of thousands of cooking videos on YouTube.  Shit, Alton Brown and a bunch of the other celebrity chefs have been pumping out YouTube videos on cooking random shit out of your pantry since this all started.  And that’s not counting all of the TV shows that have been uploaded   

If after 6 weeks of cooking at home, with hours-upon-hours of expert how-tos on YouTube, you or your spouse can’t make a better steak than a cook at Chili’s, you have definitely failed at life   

Shit, we have always had ramen around as a go-to quick meal, but I upped my game by watching Japanese videos on cooking it, to the point where my kids don’t realize I’m starting off with a 15-cent bag of shitty noodles.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m of the opinion that we won’t really know the true death count until multiple economist type analysis are done on this thing, probably a couple years from now. All that being said my guess is that it will show we’ve had more deaths from the virus than what is being reported at the end of the day. 

we won't ever know the true death count.  but of course we will show more than reported.  It is the way of the CDC.  see H1N1 where 3.4K state confirmed deaths were extrapolated to 13K deaths. this was based on a range from approx 8.5K to 17.5K

right now we have 37K truly state confirmed with US Vital statistics deaths from Covid19 but even those have the "maybes are counted" qualifier. I realize there are covid with pneumonia and the number is likely about 62K if you don't include maybes.  

In theory this being the most heavily tracked ILI/respiratory virus pandemic in US history, the numbers the states put out should be pretty accurate but I have no doubt the CDC will extrapolate it to some 3x number of state reported deaths with a range.

Below is a summary link on H1N1 deaths. there are CDC papers that I have linked to before that show how the crazy wide range estimations with medians get extrapolated to cases, hospitalizations, and deaths.

https://www.cdc.gov/H1N1flu/estimates/April_February_13.htm

you are right that we won't get a final estimate for CDC for likely for about 18 months.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

In other news, NYT posted that, while NYC’s cases has peaked and declining, the rest of the country is still climbing. Why the US overall peak is flat, when it should be declining.

Unlike most countries, we’re failing to bring down our caseloads due to uneven nature of US response and shortage of testing, especially early on.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

So for your morning livestock update, fresh pork and beef values continue to pick up momentum out of the weekend, select is gaining against choice, some of which is seasonal and some of which indicates that ground beef is getting tighter as ground beef demand jumps with re-opening too. 

Today I learned there are no GIFs of Paul Harvey saying “good day”

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

In other news, NYT posted that, while NYC’s cases has peaked and declining, the rest of the country is still climbing. Why the US overall peak is flat, when it should be declining.

Unlike most countries, we’re failing to bring down our caseloads due to uneven nature of US response and shortage of testing, especially early on.

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Like 6

The culinary signaling about how the Shag 1% would never eat at Chili's is as predictable as it is tiring. I don't like the place either but this is the same elitist bigotry saying that the clingers are protesting they can't have Applebee's when the issue is that folks are out of work.

My service-industry related startup is officially now defunct. A few of my clients have gone broke and will not reopen. My sister's employer (another chain the Surl 1% would love to shit all over I'm sure so I won't mention the name) is chapter 13. She has like 25 years with that company.

Once we get rid of all the substandard eateries and we are all channeling Julia Childs from our well-appointed kitchens what are these great unwashed (you know, morons) going to do for a living?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

So I take it that you don't consider those dipshits as at least giving aid and comfort to domestic terrorists, if not active support?

So folks that tote guns at Open America protests are giving aid to domestic terrorists?

Holy shit. If true.

• Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

These people have had 4-6 weeks of not eating in a restaurant.  There’s tens of thousands of cooking videos on YouTube.  Shit, Alton Brown and a bunch of the other celebrity chefs have been pumping out YouTube videos on cooking random shit out of your pantry since this all started.  And that’s not counting all of the TV shows that have been uploaded   

If after 6 weeks of cooking at home, with hours-upon-hours of expert how-tos on YouTube, you or your spouse can’t make a better steak than a cook at Chili’s, you have definitely failed at life   

Shit, we have always had ramen around as a go-to quick meal, but I upped my game by watching Japanese videos on cooking it, to the point where my kids don’t realize I’m starting off with a 15-cent bag of shitty noodles.

People just want a sense of normalcy and want to eat out and enjoy themselves - don't read too much into this.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

The culinary signaling about how the Shag 1% would never eat at Chili's is as predictable as it is tiring

I think the major contention was that they picked a Chili's steak as their first post-quarantine meal. I don't think anyone except the true 1% has anything against going to Chili's (or the like) for some random Tuesday happy hour.

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

I think the major contention was that they picked a Chili's steak as their first post-quarantine meal. I don't think anyone except the true 1% has anything against going to Chili's (or the like) for some random Tuesday happy hour.

I plan on going local for sure when I go back out, but I worry about the long-term business model of this entire industry economy.

fifm

Edited by GringoSalado

6 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

And that pic was not taken from a covid protest.

ah so this one pic invalidates the entire thing, despite that we have hundreds of photos of armed protestors specifically protesting the stay at home orders. Like the ones who stormed the Michigan Capitol, armed.

A group of people with guns stormed a state Capitol building. That’s terrorism, bro 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

11 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

And that pic was not taken from a covid protest.

Are you saying that people aren't wearing various boogaloo signifiers while armed at reopening protests? 

Look it's one thing for the AR-15 honks to festoon their not-the-best-gun-for-anything-except-accessorizing rifles with more aftermarket crap than the JC Whitney catalog and go celebrate their shitty trigger discipline in public. It's another thing entirely to converge on a protest about something totally unrelated and brandish their vajazzled peashooters while encouraging armed insurgency or anarchy. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

This is exactly what trump wanted with his initial anti-testing policy. Can't be a problem if we don't know about it, right? And now the blue states doing more testing look worse while the red states reopening and underreporting (cough cough Texas, Florida, Georgia, etc) are following the presidential marching orders. 

All part of the plan. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 11

20 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Good for Nate -- that obvious issue has been in my mind over the last couple of weeks.  Numbers MUST be adjusted when you are aware that there are new variables impacting those numbers.  "Cases" are absolutely a function of testing, and we are seeing significantly increased testing.

The number that matters is the number of actual, live infections.  Cases are a subset of that, and that number can give us artificially low (mostly) numbers, and then when we compare over time, can give us artificially high (when testing increases) "growth" rates.

We should figure out how to adjust for increased testing (looks like Nate is on it), and using that adjustment, see where numbers go after this round of "re-openings."  Toothpaste is outta the tube.  We need to figure out how to manage it.

And again, I don't understand the resistance to wearing masks when out among other people -- that and frequent hand washing are such easy and effective measures to take, which allow us to maintain economic activity.  Why the resistance?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

This is exactly what trump wanted with his initial anti-testing policy. Can't be a problem if we don't know about it, right? And now the blue states doing more testing look worse while the red states reopening and underreporting (cough cough Texas, Florida, Georgia, etc) are following the presidential marching orders. 

All part of the plan. 

There are two things they really can't lie about (too much) and that's deaths and hospital capacity.  Those are major drivers in opening back up.

Sure, you say there's no way the 4th most populated state (NY) has 319k cases and the #2 TX and #3 FL only have 32k and 37k cases.  That dismissed as bullshit just because of an "intentional" lack of testing.

But then you see its 19,415 deaths vs. 884 in TX and 1,400 in FL and you realize that things just aren't as bad in Texas and Florida.

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Like 4

Just now, utee94 said:

Could you fucking idiots please discuss gun shit on another thread.  Pro-gun, anti-gun, don't care.  Go somewhere else.

Would be easier if the folks demanding that we re-open weren't playing toy soldier like a motherfucker.  That was a bad move, distracted like hell from whatever message they had, and was done for the purpose of intimidation only, which is utter bullshit.

So, sorry we're discussing the actual actions taken by the "re-open" protest crowd in a discussion of a pandemic that shut down economic activity and now people want to re-open.  Kinda hard to discuss the topic without it.  I mean, I know that many of us would have PREFERRED that the conversation didn't involve dipshits in full battle rattle, but alas, it did.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

38 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

At last, real cow talk.

my nephew hauled one of his cows from his San Saba place to his house in Jonestown a few weeks ago. He has it penned in his back yard fattening it up on hay & whatever so he can get it processed in town. 
I think he has 6 or 7 more head left.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Would be easier if the folks demanding that we re-open weren't playing toy soldier like a motherfucker.  That was a bad move, distracted like hell from whatever message they had, and was done for the purpose of intimidation only, which is utter bullshit.

So, sorry we're discussing the actual actions taken by the "re-open" protest crowd in a discussion of a pandemic that shut down economic activity and now people want to re-open.  Kinda hard to discuss the topic without it.  I mean, I know that many of us would have PREFERRED that the conversation didn't involve dipshits in full battle rattle, but alas, it did.

Awesome, thanks for continuing to be part of the problem then.  This is going to be really productive, so keep it up.  Good job, good effort.

• Like 6

The culinary signaling about how the Shag 1% would never eat at Chili's is as predictable as it is tiring. I don't like the place either but this is the same elitist bigotry saying that the clingers are protesting they can't have Applebee's when the issue is that folks are out of work.
My service-industry related startup is officially now defunct. A few of my clients have gone broke and will not reopen. My sister's employer (another chain the Surl 1% would love to shit all over I'm sure so I won't mention the name) is chapter 13. She has like 25 years with that company.

Once we get rid of all the substandard eateries and we are all channeling Julia Childs from our well-appointed kitchens what are these great unwashed (you know, morons) going to do for a living?

There is no disdain as great as the Surly intelligentsia disdain for the average human.
  • Like 4

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away