Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

6 hours ago, Captainant said:

Anyone voluntarily getting onto a cruise ship should expect to get COVID. What the fuck are they thinking?

look, this idea may have a tinge of francis galton to it but i think there is a real opportunity for this to be a gift to the species.  we should offer up half-off cruises to the entire country.  anyone stupid enough to a) affirmatively want to take a cruise, and b) get on the cruise ship right now...will be taken on a cruise of their lives to the middle of the gulf of mexico, and then shot in the back of the fucking head and dumped overboard for being the complete wastes of god damned oxygen that they are. then go back for round 2 through whatever it takes.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, sidis said:

look, this idea may have a tinge of francis galton to it but i think there is a real opportunity for this to be a gift to the species.  we should offer up half-off cruises to the entire country.  anyone stupid enough to a) affirmatively want to take a cruise, and b) get on the cruise ship right now...will be taken on a cruise of their lives to the middle of the gulf of mexico, and then shot in the back of the fucking head and dumped overboard for being the complete wastes of god damned oxygen that they are. then go back for round 2 through whatever it takes.

Make it 90% off and lets do it. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 2

Mississippi gonna Mississippi.

‘Crisis Levels’ in Mississippi: No ICU Beds Left in Jackson, Only 12% Remain Statewide.

With COVID-19 cases ramping up, Mississippi’s capital city has run out of ICU beds.

“Zero ICU beds in Jackson. Very few elsewhere. Please protect yourself and your family,” Mississippi State Health Officer Dr. Thomas Dobbs said in a grim tweet this morning.

Across the entire state, only 106 ICU beds remain available out of 888 total. For two days in a row, the state has reported more than 1,200 new cases, including 1,271 today.

There is still no statewide mask mandate; Gov. Tate Reeves allowed it to expire on Sept. 30 after the state successfully beat back the summer wave—a decision Dobbs had shown discomfort with at the time.

Jackson is not the only large Mississippi city with no or few ICU beds available. Five remain in the state’s second largest city, Gulfport, and none in neighboring Biloxi. There are zero ICU beds available in Southaven and just one in nearby Olive Branch, both located in DeSoto County, where the sheriff is refusing to enforce mask and social distancing orders.

In Hattiesburg, located in Forrest and Lamar counties, only one ICU bed remains. Greenville in Washington County is down to just one ICU bed.

Yesterday, Reeves extended his “Safe Recovery” executive order for another month, requiring residents in 15 counties to wear face masks in public places.

“I know that we are all tired and ready to move on. But the virus is still here,” the governor said in a statement yesterday, one day after he announced that his youngest daughter had tested positive for COVID-19; the rest of the family tested negative yesterday.

Reeves added five new counties to the list that were not previously under mask mandates, including Covington, Humphreys, Lauderdale, Rankin and Yalobusha counties.

Today and yesterday, Mississippi reported 17 more deaths—deaths “which we should remember are avoidable,” Dobbs wrote in a tweet yesterday.

‘It’s Still Working to Infect and Kill’

The number of Mississippians hospitalized for COVID-19 also rose to 669—the highest it’s been since the summer surge, when hospitals across the state were overwhelmed with patients. Fewer than 1,500 staffed hospital beds remain available, or about 20% of the total statewide.

“It’s still working to infect and kill. We’ve gotten far better at dealing with it, and allowing for life to go on. But we’re not all the way there yet,” Gov. Reeves said in yesterday’s statement. “Keep fighting and protecting the most vulnerable in your life. No matter where you are, please do your best to social distance and wear a mask.”

The governor’s order yesterday means that the mask mandates he put in place for nine counties last month will continue until at least Dec. 11. Those counties are: Benton, Carroll, DeSoto, Forrest, Harrison, Jackson, Lamar, Leflore, Lee and Marshall. Those orders had been set to expire today.

The governor let mask orders expire today for seven other counties that have shown improvement, including Itawamba, Neshoba, Claiborne, Chickasaw, Jones, Leake and Madison.

Mississippi State Health Officer Dr. Thomas Dobbs tweeted this chart today, saying “very few” ICU beds remain available statewide. Image courtesy MSDH.
As the surge ramped up in early July, the governor enacted a patchwork system of mask orders for the hardest-hit counties, but by July’s end, it included almost half the counties in the state. On Aug. 4, Reeves moved on from the patchwork system and issued a statewide mask mandate, declaring, “I want to see college football.”

Cases fell dramatically over the ensuing weeks even as schools reopened, albeit with mask requirements for students.

After two months of sustained improvement, though, the governor allowed the statewide mask mandate to expire on Sept. 30, saying “we need to trust the people of this country to look after themselves and make wise decisions” instead of the government.

All across the state, though, many Mississippians abandoned mask-wearing in public, and cases, hospitalizations and deaths quickly spiked and have risen since. The governor reacted by reinstating mandates, initially in just nine counties, in mid-October.

The governor’s current patchwork mask orders apply to counties that have reported at least 200 cases over a two-week period or 500 cases per 100,000 residents over the same period.

Second Child Death, Schools Quarantine 10,000

On Monday, the Mississippi State Department of Health reported the second reported death of a child from COVID-19 complications since the pandemic began. The child has not been identified and is only listed as between the 6 and 10 years of age. The state reported the first child death in September of an otherwise “healthy child between the ages of 1 and 5 years old.”

Both children died with the coronavirus-linked MIS-C, or multisystem inflammatory syndrome, which the U.S. Centers for Disease Control defines as “a rare but severe condition that has been reported approximately 2-4 weeks after the onset of COVID-19 in children and adolescents.”

The Mississippi State Department of Health reported a new weekly high for cases in schools this week, with about 900 students, teachers and faculty testing positive last week. Schools also statewide ordered more than 10,000 others to quarantine at home for two weeks due to exposure to the virus.

MSDH Warns of ‘Critical’ Care Shortages

Yesterday, the Mississippi State Department of Health used social media to sound a note of urgency.

“Hospitalizations for COVID-19 are on track toward the crisis level we saw this summer. If we don’t make changes immediately, we’ll see critical shortages of first-line care for the seriously ill and injured,” MSDH said. “We know what works: social distancing, small gatherings and masks.”

Dr. Douglas Chambers, a University of Southern Mississippi historian who has studied past pandemics and closely followed COVID-19 data since March in a scholarly fashion, told the Mississippi Free Press in mid-October that the data suggested the state was already entering another COVID-19 wave.

The seven-day average for new COVID-19 cases in Mississippi had risen by the time from about 500 on the day Gov. Reeves ended the mandate to around 650. Yesterday, the seven-day average exceeded 1,000 daily cases.

Historian Douglas Chambers, who has closely studied COVID-19 data, began warning in mid-October that the state was entering a new wave of COVID-19. Photo courtesy Douglas Chambers.
Indeed, the 7-day average for new COVID-19 cases in Mississippi has doubled from about 500 on the day Gov. Reeves ended the mask mandate on Sept. 30 to more than 1,000 now.

“I am sorry that Covid has hit the governor’s family, and am praying for his daughter’s recovery,” Chambers told this publication yesterday. “Truly, no one is safe from this pandemic. The best we can do is mask up.”

Ashton Pittman
Award-winning reporter Ashton Pittman, a native of the South Mississippi Pine Belt, studied journalism and political science at the University of Southern Mississippi. Previously the state reporter at the Jackson Free Press, he drove national headlines and conversations with award-winning reporting about segregation academies.

https://www.mississippifreepress.org/6883/crisis-levels-in-mississippi-no-icu-beds-left-in-jackson-only-12-remain-statewide/

I’m back in Walton County for some r&r and not surprisingly this place is a Covid hotspot. When I was here last month the restaurants were packed and not a mask to be found so it’s not surprising. 

I will note it is definitely different this time around with masks. There are a number of signs up requesting people wear a mask to go inside and a lot more outdoor seating for restaurants. 

Thankfully I dislike people so I keep to myself and enjoy the sunsets that keep happening no matter what Covid does. 

96612D5B-E846-4B5C-B623-400E216EEF50.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Tailgate said:

There is still no statewide mask mandate; Gov. Tate Reeves allowed it to expire on Sept. 30 after the state successfully beat back the summer wave—a decision Dobbs had shown discomfort with at the time.

Fuck this pisses me off so fucking much.  Do they not fucking realizing that it's going to get worse.

El Paso:  We have no more hospital beds, have to ship patients to New Mexico and San Antonio, so we are going to shut down and get it under control.

State: You ain't shutting down shit.

El Paso has done the contact-tracing, and it's what you'd expect - big box stores, gyms, bars, restaurants.  No fucking surprises at all.

2 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

We're circling the drain.  I think we're about to send everyone home again.  

Austin has kept our shit together as a city, even with the state fighting us, but if the other parts of the state don't get their shit together, it's going to fuck us, and fuck our hospitals and fuck everybody.

Texas is trending up - we had 12,800+ new cases just today in Texas.

What happens when San Antonio is trending up (more than 300+ new cases a day like today) and starts turning away El Paso's patients?  San Antonio has over 350 covids in the hospital (up 100 from a week ago).  How many will Austin/Dallas/Houston take?

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Let's be honest.  The individual risk/benefit analysis for many vaccines in the schedule is kinda upside down.  It really only makes sense from a public health perspective, or if you are in high risk segments.  This is fucking different. This is a global fucking pandemic. It is crippling our economy and having profound impact on quality of life. We'll have reasonable short-term safety data when it rolls out.  Shit might get kinda dicey with the mid and definitely longer term rare side effects.  There will be lots of anecdotal reports of bad side effects, some probably serious...just a numbers game when you are looking to vax 300+ MM people. Bad shit gonna happen to a very small number of people.  At this point staring down the barrel of 250k deaths by end of the week, not sure that I see another path forward.  Put the surveillance network in place to signal first sign of safety issues.

I agree your post.  We would be well past this shit if people would put selfish pride behind them.  Good luck with that, though.  I prefer the odds associated with an accelerate vax roll out at this point. 

I agree that it is what it is.  And for me, the next 20 years of my life are already going to see a huge statistical uptick in likely occurrence of mental issues, heart problems, cancer, mobility problems, etc.  So the incremental risk from a vaccine's potential side effects is statistically low for me.  Similarly, if the vaccine turns out to do shit like make 1 in 3 men sterile, IDGAF.  Got all the kids I need and then some. I mean, I'm happily going to take the shingles vaccine next year, and it has some pretty scary potential side effects at the extreme end of the bell curve.

But that calculus seems different for my teenage kids and those folks under 30.  Would 23-year-old you take a vaccine that tripled your risk of early-onset dementia or something like that?  It's probably going from something like .00001 to .00003, but that shit sounds scary.  Which brings up another issue - buy in among those folks who the rest of us need to buy in.  Maybe at 23 you just roll the dice since your buddy's GF had it and was asymptomatic. 

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Austin has kept our shit together as a city, even with the state fighting us, but if the other parts of the state don't get their shit together, it's going to fuck us, and fuck our hospitals and fuck everybody.

Texas is trending up - we had 12,800+ new cases just today in Texas.

What happens when San Antonio is trending up (more than 300+ new cases a day like today) and starts turning away El Paso's patients?  San Antonio has over 350 covids in the hospital (up 100 from a week ago).  How many will Austin/Dallas/Houston take?

Really bad trends no doubt.  I see a return of tent hospitals, but who's going to staff them?  This is going to get even uglier, quick.

11 hours ago, sidis said:

Don't have to be so harsh.  Just don't let them off the boat.  Ever.  Never let it dock.  Little leper colonies floating around the ocean.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

But that calculus seems different for my teenage kids and those folks under 30.  Would 23-year-old you take a vaccine that tripled your risk of early-onset dementia or something like that?  It's probably going from something like .00001 to .00003, but that shit sounds scary.  Which brings up another issue - buy in among those folks who the rest of us need to buy in.  Maybe at 23 you just roll the dice since your buddy's GF had it and was asymptomatic.

Jesus. I thought I had heard the worst of it with the complaints thus far with my patients. Early Onset Dementia? Really? What makes you think this vaccine will do anything like that?

49 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I agree that it is what it is.  And for me, the next 20 years of my life are already going to see a huge statistical uptick in likely occurrence of mental issues, heart problems, cancer, mobility problems, etc.  So the incremental risk from a vaccine's potential side effects is statistically low for me.  Similarly, if the vaccine turns out to do shit like make 1 in 3 men sterile, IDGAF.  Got all the kids I need and then some. I mean, I'm happily going to take the shingles vaccine next year, and it has some pretty scary potential side effects at the extreme end of the bell curve.

An mRNA vaccine would be unlikely to cause these sorts of issues. The only way this could happen is if the protein that the mRNA makes (spike protein) has an analogous segment to some protein that humans naturally make. If that occurs, the person would make antibodies to some human protein. It is possible, but would have probably been picked up through scientific searches or through the clinical trials.

• Hook 'Em 1

So we're in the midst of the worst week of Pandemic in the last 40 weeks?  Do I have that right?  

Okay, well I'm gonna avoid commenting on it for six days and take up golf.  And assume that everything is going to plan.  God bless y'all......goodnight! 

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

An mRNA vaccine would be unlikely to cause these sorts of issues. The only way this could happen is if the protein that the mRNA makes (spike protein) has an analogous segment to some protein that humans naturally make. If that occurs, the person would make antibodies to some human protein. It is possible, but would have probably been picked up through scientific searches or through the clinical trials.

Neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's dementia are not secondary to an autoimmune process.

9 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I imagine our CV-19 approach is going to be different starting on January 20, 2021.  What countries' plans will we model ourselves after moving forward? 

The one where people use some common frickin' sense and start wearing masks, social distancing, using hand sanitizer/washing and staying in your damn house by yourself when your sick or have been close contact exposed. 

48 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Jesus. I thought I had heard the worst of it with the complaints thus far with my patients. Early Onset Dementia? Really? What makes you think this vaccine will do anything like that?

Sorry, I don't - that was what I meant by "something like that".  I was using it as a scary example - sub in "heart disease" or "stroke" or "chronic memory loss" or whatever you want - scary shit we associate with the olds.  What I'm trying to say is that, on the short-to-medium term, we're going to see some larger incidences of some of those things in the vaccine population than we do/did in the larger population.  Some may be just statistical anomalies, but some may be actual, but rare, side effects.    

The point I was (unsuccessfully) trying to make is that if you're 50, a lot of those scary things are already in the group of things that you might see in the next decade or two.  But for a 23-year-old, they are generally concerns for much farther off in the future.  Conversely, COVID is relatively more scary to a person who's 50 than one who's 23, so the calculus on the vaccine is different for those two groups.  The 23-year-olds might see it as a (relatively) risky vaccine to prevent a disease that they perceive to be not all that risky.

2 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I imagine our CV-19 approach is going to be different starting on January 20, 2021.  What countries' plans will we model ourselves after moving forward? 

People are tossing around all kinds of countries, including Taiwan, without putting things in context - places like Taiwan, SARS scared/scarred the shit out of them, to the point where they built up their capability to deal with a pandemic (something we had to do on the fly).  But Taiwan is also an island, and can control who comes in and out.

There are three things that Taiwan does that they claim keeps their numbers low/non-existent, that we can do, and have been doing, although arguably not as well/comprehensive, and we've went round-and-round in this thread about all three:

1. Get over the mask phobia bullshit, and lead by example
  2. Mass/rapid testing - way too many people are only testing after the fact.  Which leads to #3
  3. Comprehensive contact tracing

Tests are available in most areas for those who even think they might have been exposed, but contact tracing seems to be hit-or-miss in this country.  I will say my kid's school, they've had two cases, and in both instances, from what I have heard from other parents, those whose kids were potentially exposed were quickly notified and asked to stay home.

Earlier in this thread, or the Texas thread, there was this huge hoopla about a rapid build-up of contact tracing capability by the State of Texas, albeit in hindsight it was shady as fuck, and apparently did not really pan out.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yes, I know.  That's really not what I was trying to say.  What I'm trying to say is that if the vaccine causes a slight statistical uptick in dementia (again, just an example of a scary thing), a 65-year-old is more likely to accept that perceived risk as worth it over getting COVID than a 14-year-old, given the difference in how COVID effects those two groups.  

5 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

The one where people use some common frickin' sense and start wearing masks, social distancing, using hand sanitizer/washing and staying in your damn house by yourself when your sick or have been close contact exposed. 

I can think of 73 million Americans that will refuse to do any of those things because of what happens on 1/20/21. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Sorry, I don't - that was what I meant by "something like that".  I was using it as a scary example - sub in "heart disease" or "stroke" or "chronic memory loss" or whatever you want - scary shit we associate with the olds.  What I'm trying to say is that, on the short-to-medium term, we're going to see some larger incidences of some of those things in the vaccine population than we do/did in the larger population.  Some may be just statistical anomalies, but some may be actual, but rare, side effects.    

The point I was (unsuccessfully) trying to make is that if you're 50, a lot of those scary things are already in the group of things that you might see in the next decade or two.  But for a 23-year-old, they are generally concerns for much farther off in the future.  Conversely, COVID is relatively more scary to a person who's 50 than one who's 23, so the calculus on the vaccine is different for those two groups.  The 23-year-olds might see it as a (relatively) risky vaccine to prevent a disease that they perceive to be not all that risky.

Early Onset Dementia is awful. Onset at 50 years of age and dead and one in 2 years, it can happen in your 40s. But it is a genetic process. Try not to over use Early Onset Dementia as an argument.

If you want to be worried about anything go google auto immune diseases and pick one.

Apologize as well, I get triggered when people start picking an illness out of a basket to provide a scary disease that could happen without any knowledge of the underlying disease.

Just now, MoJames said:

Early Onset Dementia is awful. Onset at 50 years of age and dead and one in 2 years, it can happen in your 40s. But it is a genetic process. Try not to over use Early Onset Dementia as an argument.

If you want to be worried about anything go google auto immune diseases and pick one.

Apologize as well, I get triggered when people start picking an illness out of a basket to provide a scary disease that could happen without any knowledge of the underlying disease.

Fair enough.  My FIL died of vascular dementia, so I know it's awful.   I used it because it's so scary to me.

A brief list of fun facts that are relevant to me:

1) tomorrow in Cody, there will be a state championship football game between Cody and Jackson. 
2) because it’s the state championship, a further exception to the crowd gathering order from 1000 to 1500 was asked for and granted. 
3) Jackson Hole is in Teton county. 
4) Teton county is going remote school as of Monday because the covid outbreak in the area is so severe. 
5) the governor had a 45 minute press conference this morning begging us to be responsible, and saying our hospitals are almost full and there’s no capacity in neighboring states to help us. 
6) it’s about a 5 hour drive between Cody and Jackson so I assume most fans that travel here for the game will be staying at least one night at a hotel or with friends and relatives  

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

1) tomorrow in Cody, there will be a state championship football game between Cody and Jackson. 
2) because it’s the state championship, a further exception to the crowd gathering order from 1000 to 1500 was asked for and granted. 
4) Teton county is going remote school as of Monday because the covid outbreak in the area is so severe. 
5) the governor had a 45 minute press conference this morning begging us to be responsible, and saying our hospitals are almost full and there’s no capacity in neighboring states to help us. 
6) it’s about a 5 hour drive between Cody and Jackson so I assume most fans that travel here for the game will be staying at least one night at a hotel or with friends and relatives  

Jackson is prettier but full of rich people from other states. Cody is more middle class, core Wyomingites. Cody has better rodeos. In summary, I think I'll root for Cody.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Jackson is prettier but full of rich people from other states. Cody is more middle class, core Wyomingites. Cody has better rodeos. In summary, I think I'll root for Cody.

Little known fact, Cody is slowly getting on the radar of rich people that aren’t rich enough for Jackson. Kanye looked here because of the difference in politics, but multimillionaires are moving here that can’t get in Jackson what the billionaires have. 

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

1500 for a state title football game is insane. That’d count as a very sparsely attended pre-district game between winless teams in Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

1500 for a state title football game is insane. That’d count as a very sparsely attended pre-district game between winless teams in Texas. 

Well no shit. When I was a high school senior and the team won the 4a title, we half filled Floyd-Casey. 

I’ll speak your language, Harlingen is about the same size as each of the 3 largest towns in Wyoming (Casper, Cheyenne, Laramie)

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Yeah, just looking at the geography of WY...you're right...most fans will be staying somewhere nearby after the game.  Which means meals, gatherings, etc.  Kinda like my wife told my in-laws in NW Kansas, "Look around you...there are no more hospital beds in your middle of nowhere.  And although you're good savers and have means...your hospital groups aren't.  You'll be the last small towns in the continental U.S. to get the vaccine."  And every weekend, they tell her some other random high school volleyball match or third cousin's confirmation they just had to attend.  

Socializing, in whatever form from New York to small town Wyoming, is part of the human experience.  I get it.  But what the fuck...if on its best day...my local hospital can barely treat 10 older people with typical octogenarian shit...I'm not gonna tempt the fates and go get Covid-19 to boot.  What the fuck is society's fascination with being around other people?  I spent 43 years being around people constantly.  God willing, I'll spend the next 43 years being around people constantly.  What the fuck is the big deal about 10 months off in the middle?  I want my mom to see her granddaughters as much as anything in the world.  But travel for her right now would probably kill her, so I wait.  Everybody else besides her is younger and healthier so they can fucking wait too.  Get to the back of the line and do your fucking part.  

Edited by Lobo

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Well no shit. When I was a high school senior and the team won the 4a title, we half filled Floyd-Casey. 

I’ll speak your language, Harlingen is about the same size as each of the 3 largest towns in Wyoming (Casper, Cheyenne, Laramie)

I didn’t know that but it looks like you’re right. Jesus nobody lives in WY. I doubt an outdoor game attended by 1500 people is going to cause some massive outbreak in the state however.

15 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Little known fact, Cody is slowly getting on the radar of rich people that aren’t rich enough for Jackson. Kanye looked here because of the difference in politics, but multimillionaires are moving here that can’t get in Jackson what the billionaires have. 

Hmmm. I was speaking with a patient from Big Sky who told me that Kim Kardashian tried to buy property at the Yellowstone Club and the club denied them membership. Supposedly, they only want low key celebrities and multi-millionaires there. They don't want media hounds and want to stay kind of hidden from the public eye.

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I didn’t know that but it looks like you’re right. Jesus nobody lives in WY. I doubt an outdoor game attended by 1500 people is going to cause some massive outbreak in the state however.

Massive outbreak is already happening all over the state, relatively speaking. And we are inviting hundreds from the hottest spot to visit our town this weekend, watch a football game, eat at out restaurants, and sleep at our hotels. While we are running out of hospital beds and the governor is on tv begging people to act more responsibility (because if he starts with any heavy handed mandates he won’t get re-elected).

Edited by Pato del Muerto

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

A gathering of 1500 people in Wyoming is literally like a gathering of 100-200k in Texas or California.  Outside or not, it's not a fucking good idea.  

Nobody lives in South Dakota either, their 200,000 person gathering does not appear to have been terribly kind to their hospital system.  

Edited by Lobo

The sentient thumb running the state in which I live, steadfastly refuses to mandate masks but basically said we are going to back to the spring lockdown protocol except for allowing high school sports in front of immediately family once we hit 25% of hospital beds filled with Covid patients. We are at 20% today, and at the current pace will hit that around next Thursday. The anti-mask people in Omaha at least called off their plan to all show up at HyVee mask free to shop. The chancellor of UNL also is begging people not to have football watch parties. (One could argue Scott Frost has been doing that with his coaching, but here we are) 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, just looking at the geography of WY...you're right...most fans will be staying somewhere nearby after the game.  Which means meals, gatherings, etc.  Kinda like my wife told my in-laws in NW Kansas, "Look around you...there are no more hospital beds in your middle of nowhere.  And although you're good savers and have means...your hospital groups aren't.  You'll be the last small towns in the continental U.S. to get the vaccine."  And every weekend, they tell her some other random high school volleyball match or third cousin's confirmation they just had to attend.  

Socializing, in whatever form from New York to small town Wyoming, is part of the human experience.  I get it.  But what the fuck...if on its best day...my local hospital can barely treat 10 older people with typical octogenarian shit...I'm not gonna tempt the fates and go get Covid-19 to boot.  What the fuck is society's fascination with being around other people?  I spent 43 years being around people constantly.  God willing, I'll spend the next 43 years being around people constantly.  What the fuck is the big deal about 10 months off in the middle?  I want my mom to see her granddaughters as much as anything in the world.  But travel for her right now would probably kill her, so I wait.  Everybody else besides her is younger and healthier so they can fucking wait too.  Get to the back of the line and do your fucking part.  

As the county seat, and semi-retirement home for lots of doctors and surgeons, we have a nice little hospital that can handle many non-emergent needs in house, and normal emergencies. But the place has something like 50 beds and 3 ICU beds. So it’s not like it will take a huge crunch before local facilities are tapped out- and it’s not like Billings or SLC are in a position to take the overrun. 

4 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

The sentient thumb running the state in which I live, steadfastly refuses to mandate masks but basically said we are going to back to the spring lockdown protocol except for allowing high school sports in front of immediately family once we hit 25% of hospital beds filled with Covid patients. We are at 20% today, and at the current pace will hit that around next Thursday. The anti-mask people in Omaha at least called off their plan to all show up at HyVee mask free to shop. The chancellor of UNL also is begging people not to have football watch parties. (One could argue Scott Frost has been doing that with his coaching, but here we are) 

First off-pos rep on Sentient Thumb.  Which is also the name of my Hoobastank tribute band.  

But is that really their rationale?  That high school sports played in front of immediate family is still okay?  If your immediate family is up in the stands, who gives a shit about household contact?  You're down on the field/court with people you don't live with and they're up int he stands with people they don't live with.  How does the fact you live under the same roof with some people up in row 17 protect you while you're between the baselines with 9 other kids you're not related to?   This is the outstanding logic I expect from Aggies or Qanon people, not normal public health officials.  I'm starting to think stupid people of one particular socio-political ilk think that because you're with certain people at night under one roof, that if you travel with them to another place to be around a bunch of other people who are not under that same roof at night...that somehow your inter-family pandemic powers will somehow keep you safe while you're around those other people.  How else do you explain this batshit craziness?  

22 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

I’m pretty sure the high school rule is just to try and give cover to finishing the playoffs 

When South Austin's mom ruled my high school, she gave me cover to finish in her playoff.  

Edited by Lobo

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

This. I am comfortable with the risk benefit at this point. If there was a large effect size acute issue it would have already been flushed out. What’s left are relatively rare acute adverse events and longer term stuff. Cancer initiation or promotion for example won’t be picked up in the time frames that we have been working with. 

You give 300mm people anything and you are going to throw off some signals. I hope that the media controls themselves. I am not sure what we will do with our kids atm, but I’m lining up day 1 I get the call as long as I am getting an mRNA based vax. I do have concerns since these are novel mechanisms of action, but on the balance I am ready to roll the dice. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away