Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Has anyone done a PCR test administered by a professional?  

They stick the swab half way up your cranium.

And the self-administered one at the thousands of Walmart’s and drive-thru CVS and Walgreens.  The attendants don’t even *observe* you do it. 

How many of the tests they get paid for you think are actually valid ? 

48 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

Sounds like a lot more people who will need to pick themselves up by the bootstraps after a harsh prison sentence that will teach them the errors of their ways. 

Is that how this works?

Oh, so you don't care for people's lives. I can make stupid statements too, and do. 

46 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Not wanting to be murdered vs not wearing a mask seen like similar hills.

Oh, same for those people who yelled at the cops. They didn't want to be murdered for being together in a group.

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

Asking questions.

For more depressing news.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/13/cdc-mental-health-pandemic-394832

One in four young adults between the ages of 18 and 24 say they've considered suicide in the past month because of the pandemic, according to new CDC data that paints a bleak picture of the nation's mental health during the crisis.

The data also flags a surge of anxiety and substance abuse, with more than 40 percent of those surveyed saying they experienced a mental or behavioral health condition connected to the Covid-19 emergency. The CDC study analyzed 5,412 survey respondents between June 24 and 30.

preach!  me too. totally...  oh wait...I thought it read wishing other people would consider suicide.  my bad.  carry on

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

And the self-administered one at the thousands of Walmart’s and drive-thru CVS and Walgreens.  The attendants don’t even *observe* you do it. 

How many of the tests they get paid for you think are actually valid ? 

That's like asking if the free prostrate exams administered by the guy in the lab coat that hangs out behind the bus stop near 38th Street and North Lamar are valid.

40 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

"Despite emphatic warnings from public health authorities to stay home for Thanksgiving, millions of Americans are crowding airports ahead of the holiday. Many of them are unwilling to miss out on seeing family and convinced they can do it safely."

That's sounds like aggy who are convinced that they have a shot at beating Bama ever year.  End result is still the same - bunch of people ending up in the hospital, albeit from alcohol poisoning and/or getting their lower intestine ruptured by what has to be the penis of a farm animal. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Jesus.  Fucking.  Christ.  You're going right back to "this is just the flu" reasoning.

Here's the deal -- and this is a 100% genuine offer, I will absolutely do this: I will buy you a plane ticket to El Paso, tomorrow.  You have to go there, and you have to spend two days volunteering to man the mobile morgue trucks for body storage.  That's it.  That's my offer.  Do that, and then see if you'll continue the "it's just the flu" approach.

mobile morgue trucks for body storage sounds pretty serious.

can you paint another picture illustrating how bad it is in el paso, relating it to things we can imagine like how many people typically die per day, what age and condition they are, is it like a car accident or is it like being hit by lightning?

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, no question -- this shit is awful.  It's demoralizing, discouraging, brutal, and feels like it just won't end.

Sure would be a GREAT time for some unified, galvanizing leadership -- something that calls on the American people to unite as one to soldier through this, to do anything they can to keep the pandemic in check, to support healthcare professionals, and to support one another until we get to the other side.  And that message could remind them that there IS another side, and here's our path to get there, and here's even a rough idea of the timeline.

You know, Churchill's "fight them on the beaches" type stuff, FDR's steady hand during WWII, reminding us of our sacrifices and our ability to work together for a common goal, assuring ourselves of victory.  Man, it would be AWESOME if we had some leadership doing that, don't you think?  That would go a long way towards helping what we all agree is a brutalized sense of morale.

yeah, well, i once saw a leader fail so imma sit here and rotate sideways in my bothersiderisms

i guess ill do it for brisket

el paso county:

population: 850k

life expectancy 75-80

normal death per 100k per year = 420 i.e. 3500 annual deaths

total covid data collection spans 9 months. 

total deaths 250

avg age 79 years old. 

rolling average death <1 per day for most of year, peaked above 2 last week, and now dropping towards 1 again. 

the non-annualized covid death per 100k per year stands at 30.   which slots above suicide (19), and below strokes (33).

if you annualized it, i suppose it might be equal to respiratory illnesses (38)....and if you accelerate the infection, maybe it'll reach death rate by unintentional injuries (39).

but man, mobile morgue trucks is some pretty fucking macabre shit tho.

source: US Census, elpasocountyhealth.org

Edited by 52-80

17 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

I believe in wearing masks and being as safe as possible but the hysterical remark quoted is just that, hysteria.

1 in 1,000 people in North Dakota has died of COVID, with only around 1 in 12 being infected.  That translates to a death rate of around 1 in 100, if the virus completes its run unchecked.  Apply that to the population of the US, and you have 3.5 million dead.  But of course, 100% of people won't catch it.  So, let's say that only 50% do.

Sweet, only 1.75 million dead Americans.

Dude.  Come on.  We shouldn't OVERPLAY the seriousness of this -- it isn't going to kill 10 million Americans or any shit like that.  But downplaying it is equally off-target.

250k dead.  By the time this is all said and done, COVID will almost certainly have killed more Americans than any war except the Civil War.  This is fucking serious shit.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

1 in 1,000 people in North Dakota has died of COVID, with only around 1 in 12 being infected.  That translates to a death rate of around 1 in 100, if the virus completes its run unchecked.  Apply that to the population of the US, and you have 3.5 million dead.  But of course, 100% of people won't catch it.  So, let's say that only 50% do.

Sweet, only 1.75 million dead Americans.

Dude.  Come on.  We shouldn't OVERPLAY the seriousness of this -- it isn't going to kill 10 million Americans or any shit like that.  But downplaying it is equally off-target.

250k dead.  By the time this is all said and done, COVID will almost certainly have killed more Americans than any war except the Civil War.  This is fucking serious shit.

Screen-Shot-2020-11-23-at-10-23-38-PM.pn

So far 3 extended family members have had the Covid (ages 35, 68, 78). The youngest (a nurse) had just minor symptoms. The middle one (also a nurse) has had a rough go for several weeks and still tests positive. The oldest (a rancher) died after a week on a ventilator. He’s negative now.

19 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Screen-Shot-2020-11-23-at-10-41-45-PM.pn

https://www.elpasocountyhealth.org/covid19data-dashboard

Old age... the biggest killer of americans since the Civil War.

Exactly.  They are certainly the most vulnerable and we should take every measure to protect them but let's not pretend that a healthy 25 year old is as at risk as an 80 year old with health issues.  Treatments also seem to be starting to get more effective and hopefully one or more of those vaccines is just around the corner.

Or we can shut the fucking economy down for 6 weeks and do even more irreparable damage to the economy which results in 25 year olds pondering suicide.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Millions of people don't give a fuck about covid. And frankly, if they are young and healthy, they really don't have much reason to. 

If people want to see their families they should see their families. We all know the risks. For some that risk is acceptable. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Millions of people don't give a fuck about covid. And frankly, if they are young and healthy, they really don't have much reason to. 

Self-indulgent, Short-sided and Stupid of them.

The economic effects of the virus and our continued bumbling are catastrophic for our position in the world's economic system, among other things like death, disability and despair in a large group of infected Americans. Covid-deniers are too busy acting like petulant children to look at the broader world outside their selfishness. No offense intended. We are in the homestretch with vaccines on the way. Do your part.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-economic-outlook-indicators-weakened-recovery-jobless-claims-consumer-sentiment-2020-11

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

The economic effects of the virus and our continued bumbling are catastrophic for our position in the world's economic system, among other things like death, disability and despair in a large group of infected Americans. Covid-deniers are too busy acting like petulant children to look at the broader world outside their selfishness. No offense intended. We are in the homestretch with vaccines on the way. Do your part.
https://www.businessinsider.com/us-economic-outlook-indicators-weakened-recovery-jobless-claims-consumer-sentiment-2020-11

We’re either part of an interwoven and interdependent society and economy, or we aren’t.

The problem is, indulging in the fantasy that we aren’t all in this system together is catastrophic for the reality of a system in which we ARE connected.

You aren’t a fucking island. You never were.
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

It's not like the businesses wanted to close, or that they wouldn't have been able to stay safe while being open. You should know more than a lot, that lock downs give big corps more money since the small guy is literally being forced closed by government entities. That's short sight and hurts people. "Dark winter," indeed.

9 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus/passenger-throughput

millions of americans were travelling already.  last weekend was 3,052,139.  the prior weekend was 2,557,236.  a bit under 500,000 increase.  the three day weekend from 10/16-18 (the first time since march a million pax in a day went through TSA) was 2,793,294 pax.  a bit more than 9% increase.  only 43% of last year's travel. 

i guess we'll see what today through wednesday look like. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

It's not like the businesses wanted to close, or that they wouldn't have been able to stay safe while being open. You should know more than a lot, that lock downs give big corps more money since the small guy is literally being forced closed by government entities. That's short sight and hurts people. "Dark winter," indeed.

Given those concerns, we should all be doing what we can to flatten the curve quickly and act a little less selfishly until the vaccine is here. No? 

The economic effects are real. We don't know the scope of the damage flowing from the novel virus. Best to get it smothered as quickly as possible in order to mitigate the damage from Covid. Those with less power get hurt worse by Covid. The Covid-is-a-hoax crowd is punching down on those who can least afford the damage inflicted by this virus.

Edited by washparkhorn

16 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

iowa had basically nothing for lock down and it's in as much shit as anyone.  this lock down narrative is bullshit.  turns out when people are scared of a deadly virus they don't go outside. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/22/business/economy/economy-coronavirus-lockdown-iowa.html

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Sounds like a lot more people who will need to pick themselves up by the bootstraps after a harsh prison sentence that will teach them the errors of their ways. 

Is that how this works?

10 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Oh, so you don't care for people's lives. I can make stupid statements too, and do. 

8 hours ago, XYZ said:

I’m pretty sure that was a joke.

spacer.png

Not a joke, just tongue in cheek sarcasm toward a target that was too slow to understand it was an insult. 

Not sure why I’m actually surprised. 

9 minutes ago, elfenix said:

iowa had basically nothing for lock down and it's in as much shit as anyone.  this lock down narrative is bullshit.  turns out when people are scared of a deadly virus they don't go outside. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/22/business/economy/economy-coronavirus-lockdown-iowa.html

got a snippet or wanna copy paste the article?

4 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

spacer.png

Not a joke, just tongue in cheek sarcasm toward a target that was too slow to understand it was an insult. 

Not sure why I’m actually surprised. 

sarcastic sarcasm GIF

23 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Given those concerns, we should all be doing what we can to flatten the curve quickly and act a little less selfishly until the vaccine is here. No? 

The economic effects are real. We don't know the scope of the damage flowing from the novel virus. Best to get it smothered as quickly as possible in order to mitigate the damage from Covid. Those with less power get hurt worse by Covid. The Covid-is-a-hoax crowd is punching down on those who can least afford the damage inflicted by this virus.

Yes, but forcing businesses closed won't do that. I'm guessing the article from @elfenixsays something to akin that people will make decisions as they seem to be in thier best interests without top down control. More control over someone's life, the more adverse their going to be against it.

Yes, but forcing businesses closed won't do that. I'm guessing the article from [mention=16]elfenix[/mention]says something to akin that people will make decisions as they seem to be in thier best interests without top down control. More control over someone's life, the more adverse their going to be against it.

Cool, so....laws suck. The more you tell me it’s illegal to steal shit, the more I will steal. Is that how it works?

Or is that just how it works for sociopaths?

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Yes, but forcing businesses closed won't do that. I'm guessing the article from @elfenixsays something to akin that people will make decisions as they seem to be in thier best interests without top down control. More control over someone's life, the more adverse their going to be against it.

The prisoner's dilemma/tragedy of the commons problem. 

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/prisoner-dilemma/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, elfenix said:

no. learn to internet or pay for news.

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2020/10/23/iowa-never-locked-down-its-economy-is-struggling-anyway

As I figured. People chose to close, and they didn't need to be told that had to, just let the info come in, and people will make informed decisions like this. "Legally, music venues in Iowa were allowed to reopen in June, but with social-distancing requirements that significantly reduced their capacity. Even if those rules were lifted, Rossi said, he couldn’t see a path toward reopening safely and profitably anytime soon. This month, he announced that Vaudeville Mews would be closing permanently."

24 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2020/10/23/iowa-never-locked-down-its-economy-is-struggling-anyway

As I figured. People chose to close, and they didn't need to be told that had to, just let the info come in, and people will make informed decisions like this. "Legally, music venues in Iowa were allowed to reopen in June, but with social-distancing requirements that significantly reduced their capacity. Even if those rules were lifted, Rossi said, he couldn’t see a path toward reopening safely and profitably anytime soon. This month, he announced that Vaudeville Mews would be closing permanently."

I think it's self evident that we shouldn't stake our hopes on everyone voluntarily making the responsible decision. There's a whole shit load of chuds who love to say "it's not against the law" as if it justifies their abhorrent disregard for how their actions affect others. What then when they won't do the right thing and keep the pandemic going another quarter, because muh freedom

• Hook 'Em 3

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away