Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

So my wife went back to in-person "teaching" today at a local public school. She is a special-ed, preschool teacher. Despite the district repeatedly telling her that masks are required on kids, everyone always knew that there was no way 3 and 4 year olds with autism and other disorders were going to be masked or distanced.

She's already called me crying. She's in a room with 8 maskless kids. The majority are bawling hysterically because their parents have left them and they don't understand. She's hugging and holding bawling, maskless children. By herself. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, Foosters said:

So my wife went back to in-person "teaching" today at a local public school. She is a special-ed, preschool teacher. Despite the district repeatedly telling her that masks are required on kids, everyone always knew that there was no way 3 and 4 year olds with autism and other disorders were going to be masked or distanced.

She's already called me crying. She's in a room with 8 maskless kids. The majority are bawling hysterically because their parents have left them and they don't understand. She's hugging and holding bawling, maskless children. By herself. 

I’m sorry to hear that. Those kinds of kids don’t handle change or transitions well at all, but there’s little doubt that in the long run those kids are the ones that need help from people like your wife the most. It should get better for them over the next couple days/weeks.

On the positive side, little 3 and 4 year olds are poor transmitters of the disease. I haven’t heard of any preschool requiring masks that young, and there haven’t been any mass preschool/daycare closures that I’ve heard of. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

I’m sorry to hear that. Those kinds of kids don’t handle change or transitions well at all, but there’s little doubt that in the long run those kids are the ones that need help from people like your wife the most. It should get better for them over the next couple days/weeks.

On the positive side, little 3 and 4 year olds are poor transmitters of the disease. I haven’t heard of any preschool requiring masks that young, and there haven’t been any mass preschool/daycare closures that I’ve heard of. 

Yes, age of kids is a silver-lining. Although, when you are hugging crying, snotty kids, along with changing roughly 20 diapers in a day, I'm not sure the "studies" have taken that into account. Even during non-covid times, she comes into contact with a pretty good amount of bodily fluids. She is part of a public elementary school that has a pre-school special-ed component for kids in the district, so the mask rule is universal for the school.

She's not worried about herself. She has already received one shot. She has 3 aides, 2 of whom are at risk or live with elderly family members. She's instructed them to just remain on the other side of the room so that they don't come into contact with the kids. She's just overwhelmed.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

Yep, sucks for the teachers. My wife is not special ed but she teaches elementary and kindergarten kids...good luck getting them to distance and all that shit. She’s had kids coming up to her and she’s constantly like go back to your spot. It has given her a lot of stress. She has acquaintances who had covid and they recovered but had “brain fog” for months. Also shortness of breath.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/17/2021 at 1:13 PM, XYZ said:

There’s one thing I just don't understand: for many months now we know that there is a strong correlation between vitamin D level and severity of covid. Not only there’s correlation but the causality is there too. When they give hospital patients vitamin D upon arrival, the death rate ends up being like 60% lower or some shit like that. Vitamin D is readily available at any pharmacy. We also know that it’s hard to fuck up the dosage. Nearly half of the population is vitamin D deficient. For a lot of the population who are deficient, 1000 IUs or 2000 IUs are going to bring the level up to where you want it. You could take enough to where it becomes toxic, but it seems that it would be a lot more than what is needed in most cases. So having said all this, why the fuck is the government not urging people to take a vitamin D supplement?

time to bring back the Coppertone baby.

On 2/17/2021 at 1:13 PM, XYZ said:

So having said all this, why the fuck is the government not urging people to take a vitamin D supplement?

We would also have a lot less complications and death if we didn’t have one of the highest obesity rates in the world. But the government doesn’t give a rat’s ass about that either.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

We would also have a lot less complications and death if we didn’t have one of the highest obesity rates in the world. But the government doesn’t give a rat’s ass about that either.

How so? What would you recommend the government doing about our fat asses?

On 2/17/2021 at 8:14 AM, BradInATX said:

This seems unlikely to me. There's going to be a breaking point where people are going to just accept the risks involved and get back to normal. Some people have been there for months, some are getting there now, and most will get there once they have their vaccine. Nothing is going to stem that tide.

Besides, while the vaccines aren't quite as effective on the new strains, they do tamp down the severity and deadliness of them. And the mRNA vaccines are going to be able to engineer boosters for the various strains rapidly. 

There is not going to be a "new normal". Things will be back close to 2019-ish by late summer and the toothpaste isn't going back in the tube.

I agree. As soon as everyone who wants a vaccine can get one, I am done with social distancing and masks. Life has to get back to normal and if you choose not to get the vaccine and take that risk, that's your choice.  I won't be wearing a mask or not going out.  Enough is enough.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

How so? What would you recommend the government doing about our fat asses?

Make food stamps more like WIC (but broader to include some prepared foods) would be my first order of business. It is absurd that food stamps can buy coca cola and Twinkies but not a rotisserie chicken.  

Teach proper dieting and exercise in schools.

That's not true. It's just that efforts to provide children with and teach better nutrition keep getting repealed by one of our two parties because reasons.

4 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Fuck that, and fuck Fauci.

4 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Fuuuuuuuck

Just because he says it, doesn’t mean it’s true.

It also doesn’t mean it’s not, but he has knowingly disseminated disinformation before so anything is possible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This guy has serious credentials. The key point, which I can’t confirm or really contest is, “the consistent and rapid decline in daily cases since Jan. 8 can be explained only by natural immunity”. 

And I’ve thought this from the beginning, “I have argued for months that we could save more American lives if those with prior Covid-19 infection forgo vaccines until all vulnerable seniors get their first dose.” File that one under no fucking shit. That never made sense. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

This guy has serious credentials. The key point, which I can’t confirm or really contest is, “the consistent and rapid decline in daily cases since Jan. 8 can be explained only by natural immunity”. 

And I’ve thought this from the beginning, “I have argued for months that we could save more American lives if those with prior Covid-19 infection forgo vaccines until all vulnerable seniors get their first dose.” File that one under no fucking shit. That never made sense. 

FWIW, an op-ed from a partisan source doesn't scream credibility. Especially when you're arguing for herd immunity by way of mass infection. 

Edited by Captainant

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

FWIW, an op-ed from a partisan source doesn't scream credibility. Especially when you're arguing for herd immunity by way of mass infection. 

A faculty member at Johns Hopkins? Ok. You should read the column, smooth brain. He actually argues we need to stop playing politics with the science. CC:  Dipshit Fauci

Some medical experts privately agreed with my prediction that there may be very little Covid-19 by April but suggested that I not to talk publicly about herd immunity because people might become complacent and fail to take precautions or might decline the vaccine. But scientists shouldn’t try to manipulate the public by hiding the truth. As we encourage everyone to get a vaccine, we also need to reopen schools and society to limit the damage of closures and prolonged isolation. Contingency planning for an open economy by April can deliver hope to those in despair and to those who have made large personal sacrifices.”

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

We have done a lot of things that don’t make sense in this whole mess.

True, but this is a once-in-a-lifetime event. I'll give people in charge a bit of grace trying to do the best they can with the unknown.

The only thing that pisses me off is the politicizing of it and dunking on people who are trying to fix it when things don't go perfectly. 

• Like 1

Part of the problem is we have a lot of parents who are more than happy to file a lawsuit at the drop of a hat, and if they think the district isn't doing enough to protect Suzy Snowflake or Karen Ineedamanager, they will sue.

And we won't have covid vaccinations for the kids fully out by the fall, which means if somebody's kid gets it, yeah, the scholastic equivalent of Thomas J. Henry is going to roll up with papers in hand.

So they'll allow those parents who don't want to sign a waiver or whatever to keep their kids home.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Part of the problem is we have a lot of parents who are more than happy to file a lawsuit at the drop of a hat, and if they think the district isn't doing enough to protect Suzy Snowflake or Karen Ineedamanager, they will sue.

And we won't have covid vaccinations for the kids fully out by the fall, which means if somebody's kid gets it, yeah, the scholastic equivalent of Thomas J. Henry is going to roll up with papers in hand.

So they'll allow those parents who don't want to sign a waiver or whatever to keep their kids home.

It’s the parents’ fault now? Am I taking crazy pills? Let me help you out, since evidently you don’t have school age children.

You open the school for those that want in person instruction. For those that don’t, they can do remote. It’s their choice, no liability. For each grade, some teachers handle in person. Some teachers handle the remote. As more kids move to in person because it’s safe, so do more teachers as needed. 

Maybe I should start a consulting firm and help these confused school districts strategize on how to safely open the schools. This was all hammered out 6-7 months ago by people all over the country. Stop making excuses for retards. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, GRHorn said:

It’s the parents’ fault now? Am I taking crazy pills? Let me help you out, since evidently you don’t have school age children.

You open the school for those that want in person instruction. For those that don’t, they can do remote. It’s their choice, no liability. For each grade, some teachers handle in person. Some teachers handle the remote. As more kids move to in person because it’s safe, so do more teachers as needed. 

Maybe I should start a consulting firm and help these confused school districts strategize on how to safely open the schools. This was all hammered out 6-7 months ago by people all over the country. Stop making excuses for retards. 

The Office Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/18/2021 at 1:58 PM, Foosters said:

Tell your wife thank you. What she is doing is helping beyond comprehension. As a parent of a special needs toddler, missing school, therapy or social interaction outside of the home this past year can has had such a drastic impact on their development. Those kids are also confused and scared I’m sure. 

I don’t think you meant the comment about parents dropping their kids off in a derogatory manner, but I doubt many of those parents like dropping their kids off. You do have to weigh their development of life skills and normalcy at an early age over comfort for them to have a chance at a normal life. At the most severe phases of this Covid shit I would have continued in person therapy for my daughter given the chance. This really fucked a lot of kids and parents and continues to do so.

On 2/18/2021 at 4:33 PM, Johnny Sack said:

I agree. As soon as everyone who wants a vaccine can get one, I am done with social distancing and masks. Life has to get back to normal and if you choose not to get the vaccine and take that risk, that's your choice.  I won't be wearing a mask or not going out.  Enough is enough.

This is a great thread on how fucked up our messaging has been on covid and the vaccines.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Haha. Florida just kicks all kind of ass.

And yet, DeSantis is still getting killed by the media because he...vaccinated seniors first?

The MSM is an absolute joke.  One can make a very strong argument that Florida and DeSantis handled the pandemic better than any state and governor when you take into account health outcomes, educational outcomes, economic outcomes, and vaccination rates.

If the celebrities and media had any intellectual honesty they would force Cuomo to give the Emmy they gave him last year to Desantis.

Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican, ignored federal guidelines and prioritized getting senior citizens — one of Florida’s most potent voting blocs — vaccinated first.

DeSantis said that his "seniors first strategy" zeroes in on retirement communities that are willing to help organize vaccination events and that Manatee County has trailed other parts of the state in getting needles into the arms of residents ages 65 and older.

The governor said the state had set up similar sites at the Kings Point community in Palm Beach County, Sun City Center in Hillsborough County, and The Villages retirement community northwest of Orlando.

“If Manatee County doesn’t like us doing this, we are totally fine with putting this in counties that want it,” he said.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away