Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

7 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Tell your wife thank you. What she is doing is helping beyond comprehension. As a parent of a special needs toddler, missing school, therapy or social interaction outside of the home this past year can has had such a drastic impact on their development. Those kids are also confused and scared I’m sure. 

I don’t think you meant the comment about parents dropping their kids off in a derogatory manner, but I doubt many of those parents like dropping their kids off. You do have to weigh their development of life skills and normalcy at an early age over comfort for them to have a chance at a normal life. At the most severe phases of this Covid shit I would have continued in person therapy for my daughter given the chance. This really fucked a lot of kids and parents and continues to do so.

I don't disagree and didn't mean to imply that there isn't a vital need for the services. My wife's anger and frustration is more directed at the school district for what she rightly perceives as total abandonment of her and her staff. The district spent months planning and then re-planning the opening of the other classrooms right down to the inches measured between desks. Unions involved. Meetings galore. For her program, they gave her a box of masks and said "good luck."

I've been pretty good about following the guidance and doing what I believe to be the right thing through all of this, but if we get to the holidays this Fall and we're still wearing masks I just may lose my shit.

We won’t. I like the strong signs we are seeing that we are coming out of this. A 77% drop in cases despite only a small fraction of the population having been vaccinated, plus we just came out of the holidays, signals a tipping point. Just one idiot’s opinion of course.

And anecdotal, but my neighbor who works at one of the biggest hospitals in Atlanta says he’s seen a sharp decline in cases. ICU cases are flatter, but he says they almost all have a complication that (sadly) puts them in the “something would have gotten them sooner or later” bucket.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I'm mostly "meh" about the Plague flakeout, but I haven't had the flu yet this year. Compares to the 2-3 times I get it every year. When we all have the Cure, I might keep wearing the mask in the winter.

You get the flu 2-3 times per year? I don’t think I’ve had it 2-3 times in my life. That sucks man.

8 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Tell your wife thank you. What she is doing is helping beyond comprehension. As a parent of a special needs toddler, missing school, therapy or social interaction outside of the home this past year can has had such a drastic impact on their development. Those kids are also confused and scared I’m sure. 

I don’t think you meant the comment about parents dropping their kids off in a derogatory manner, but I doubt many of those parents like dropping their kids off. You do have to weigh their development of life skills and normalcy at an early age over comfort for them to have a chance at a normal life. At the most severe phases of this Covid shit I would have continued in person therapy for my daughter given the chance. This really fucked a lot of kids and parents and continues to do so.

We went through that journey with my oldest son and fortunately made it out the other side. I can’t imagine how much it must hurt to watch your toddler kind of plateau while all of this is going on. Good luck to you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

I don't disagree and didn't mean to imply that there isn't a vital need for the services. My wife's anger and frustration is more directed at the school district for what she rightly perceives as total abandonment of her and her staff. The district spent months planning and then re-planning the opening of the other classrooms right down to the inches measured between desks. Unions involved. Meetings galore. For her program, they gave her a box of masks and said "good luck."

Well that’s total bullshit. Unfortunately those kids and their teachers are sometimes an afterthought when they should be a priority. It’s a shame. 

If someone spent an entire year crying about how disingenuous and harmful the media is then constantly spammed this thread with clickbait outrage-trap tweets highlighting things like what one dumbass irrelevant principal in some city thinks about Covid, what would that make them? A hypocrite? Intellectually dishonest? Partisan hack? A giant whiny blubbering vagina?

Asking for a friend.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

If someone spent an entire year crying about how disingenuous and harmful the media is then constantly spammed this thread with clickbait outrage-trap tweets highlighting things like what one dumbass irrelevant principal in some city thinks about Covid, what would that make them? A hypocrite? Intellectually dishonest? Partisan hack? A giant whiny blubbering vagina?

Asking for a friend.

So the media isn't wrong? I mean sure you may not be wrong about the tweets, but does seem that media has bias as well.

Asking for a friend.

I’m always caught off guard when I realize there’s people out there that don’t think the media is shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m always caught off guard when I realize there’s people out there that don’t think the media is shit. 

I'm on record many times on this board stating that there's a lot of irresponsible journalism. I've called it out frequently on #bothsides.

But I also don't turn around and post idiotic clickbait tweets and fake news. Because I'm not a hypocrite. The poster in question has posted blatant hyper partisan fake news multiple times and run away when called on it. He also constantly posts dumb clickbait nonsense meant to trigger the outrage-addicted male Karens of the world.

It's pitiful. He's the whiniest little bitch on this entire board.
  • Hook 'Em 1

But not the whiniest little bitch on this thread at the moment. 

Dumb.

This entire thread has turned into the same 5 posters crying because their state subsidized babysitters won't watch their children for them fast enough for their liking. It's an awful circle jerk of emotional crybabies who are angry about the hardship of being forced to be around their children for extended periods of time.

We should just rename the thread to "a bunch of whiny chumps complaining about liberal teachers" because there is zero useful information or discussion about Covid here.

The minute said group of 5 posters confirmed that they're offended by moving teachers to the essential workers group but still demand that the teachers put themselves in a building with thousands of other people was the minute it became obvious that this is purely a partisan issue for you and them. Education = liberals and liberals are bad. Pathetic childish stupidity.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

We won’t. I like the strong signs we are seeing that we are coming out of this. A 77% drop in cases despite only a small fraction of the population having been vaccinated, plus we just came out of the holidays, signals a tipping point. Just one idiot’s opinion of course.

And anecdotal, but my neighbor who works at one of the biggest hospitals in Atlanta says he’s seen a sharp decline in cases. ICU cases are flatter, but he says they almost all have a complication that (sadly) puts them in the “something would have gotten them sooner or later” bucket.

Something will get all of us sooner or later

Dumb.

This entire thread has turned into the same 5 posters crying because their state subsidized babysitters won't watch their children for them fast enough for their liking. It's an awful circle jerk of emotional crybabies who are angry about the hardship of being forced to be around their children for extended periods of time.

We should just rename the thread to "a bunch of whiny chumps complaining about liberal teachers" because there is zero useful information or discussion about Covid here.

The minute said group of 5 posters confirmed that they're offended by moving teachers to the essential workers group but still demand that the teachers put themselves in a building with thousands of other people was the minute it became obvious that this is purely a partisan issue for you and them. Education = liberals and liberals are bad. Pathetic childish stupidity.

Your bit about lecturing us how terrible this thread is is as nauseating as our leaders telling us we need to get our kids back to school.

Your bit about teaching us how terrible this thread is as nauseating as our leaders telling us we need to get our kids back to school.

I mean I'm not expecting any of the aforementioned Triggered Five to react to my post positively. You guys can figure out who you are. It's not difficult.

The disdain for the teachers is disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourselves if you haven't forgotten what shame is.

If you think the entire school discussion can be boiled down to subsidized day care and and parents sick of being around their children, you clearly don’t understand the issue from the perspective of a parent of school aged children. There are many facets and perspectives involved. But Brad has the motivations all figured out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Ah, I see. This is just you projecting. 
Quite the opposite. I managed to go that entire time without needing to come on the internet and cry about day care not reopening until they felt comfortable with it. Being a man and handling tough times without complaining or needing to constantly blame and lash out is not for everyone though.

26 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If you think the entire school discussion can be boiled down to subsidized day care and and parents sick of being around their children, you clearly don’t understand the issue from the perspective of a parent of school aged children.

I mean I'm not expecting any of the aforementioned Triggered Five to react to my post positively. You guys can figure out who you are. It's not difficult.

The disdain for the teachers is disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourselves if you haven't forgotten what shame is.

Yea it’s sucks teachers are getting represented by quack unions by which they get shat on by the public. I’d wager most actual teachers would rather do in person for all than double duty of in person and online.

Oh and officer Brad- Will you please patrol the CR covid thread? There seems to be some fly by clickbait tweet about Desantis distributing the vaccine to favored zip codes. It’s a weird article. I’d like it fact checked and your stamp of approval. I know you’re busy with patrol so please take a look when you have time.

Yea it’s sucks teachers are getting represented by quack unions by which they get shat on by the public. I’d wager most actual teachers would rather do in person for all than double duty of in person and online.

Oh and officer Brad- Will you please patrol the CR covid thread? There seems to be some fly by clickbait tweet about Desantis distributing the vaccine to favored zip codes. It’s a weird article. I’d like it fact checked and your stamp of approval. I know you’re busy with patrol so please take a look when you have time.

I've rarely gone to the CR since the election. But I'll check it out and police as needed.
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Dumb.

First things first, my state subsidized babysitters have been in service since August, so that’s not why I post about it. 

You may not believe me, but I really just feel terrible for these kids around the country that are being held hostage for unscientific, political reasons. It’s a detriment to our whole country, not just the regions where this nonsense is happening. It’s the most significant inadequacy left in our Covid response. That’s why I post about it in this thread. 

I already explained why I don’t think teachers should be at the front of the line or need vacations as prerequisite for opening. There’s millions of seniors unvaccinated. 

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I mean, CBS news is an actual journalistic outlet and the reporting is well sourced. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-governor-ron-desantis-covid-19-vaccine-distribution/

Not exactly a low effort tweet or op-ed from a financial paper

First things first, my state subsidized babysitters have been in service since August, so that’s not why I post about it. 

You may not believe me, but I really just feel terrible for these kids around the country that are being held hostage for unscientific, political reasons. It’s a detriment to our whole country, not just the regions where this nonsense is happening. It’s the most significant inadequacy left in our Covid response. That’s why I post about it in this thread. 

I already explained why I don’t think teachers should be at the front of the line or need vacations as prerequisite for opening. There’s millions of seniors unvaccinated. 

We aren't forcing millions of seniors to go and share the same air as 3,000+ other human beings either.

To be fair, you're one of the few on this thread that I actually believe would personally go into a building with a mask and thousands of other people. You're already certainly around many Covid+ people at work. I know for a fact a lot of folks who are going full Karen and demanding unvaccinated teachers expose themselves would, under no circumstances, walk into a building with 3000 teenagers, mask or no mask.

I do still find it hypocritical of you. I've seen you on some of the other threads and you're a dude that seems to be fine with police having tanks and military gear despite there being no evidence that they need it. You want them protected still. And yet teachers are beneath your concern. Why?

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

We aren't forcing millions of seniors to go and share the same air as 3,000+ other human beings either.

To be fair, you're one of the few on this thread that I actually believe would personally go into a building with a mask and thousands of other people. You're already certainly around many Covid+ people at work. I know for a fact a lot of folks who are going full Karen and demanding unvaccinated teachers expose themselves would, under no circumstances, walk into a building with 3000 teenagers, mask or no mask.

I do still find it hypocritical of you. I've seen you on some of the other threads and you're a dude that seems to be fine with police having tanks and military gear despite there being no evidence that they need it. You want them protected still. And yet teachers are beneath your concern. Why?

You have me confused with somebody else. I’m against militarized police. 💯 

Teachers aren’t beneath my concern. I just don’t put them above millions of other people working indoors since this started. They’ll be around humans less likely to have it or give it to them. It’s really that simple. 

10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I mean, CBS news is an actual journalistic outlet and the reporting is well sourced. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-governor-ron-desantis-covid-19-vaccine-distribution/

Local governor gets groups of most vulnerable people vaccinated. 

I haven’t followed vaccine rollout in Florida, but I feel comfortable saying that mainstream media will skew anything about Florida or DeSantis in a negative light going forward. I quite literally throw their interpretation of anything out the window. It’s really unfortunate. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Local governor gets groups of most vulnerable people vaccinated. 

I haven’t followed vaccine rollout in Florida, but I feel comfortable saying that mainstream media will skew anything about Florida or DeSantis in a negative light going forward. I quite literally throw their interpretation of anything out the window. It’s really unfortunate. 

Quote doesn't work right on Tapa, trying to quote your reply to me.

Fair on police.

You're sending mixed messages on vaccines. If you're saying that everyone who has elevated public exposure due to work should get priority then I agree fully. Sack and I talked about the same thing. I think all of them should go 1A. Police, teachers, emergency responders, essential retail, military, etc.

But you keep harping on olds who are not forced to expose themselves. So your messaging is confusing.

22 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

At some point we are going to have sufficient long term data to examine the extent and consequences of educational disruption for tens of millions of American children.  We'll be able to do comparisons across regions with different policy approaches, and we will be able to examine the consequences among families that took different approaches within specific policy regions (i.e. home vs in school). We will see the real impacts, and we will see amplified disparities in education. I think that a lot of people will regret the rigid approach taken by some school districts, compared to the more flexible approaches with strong safety protocols taken by others.

This year is basically in the books. Will be interesting to see how it plays out over the summer as we gear up for fall.

Read the article, then the headline and explain to me how they correlate with one another

Edit: I had to read it 2 times to actually see the point of an article. So a republican heavy area got their vaccines. And?

Quote doesn't work right on Tapa, trying to quote your reply to me.

Fair on police.

You're sending mixed messages on vaccines. If you're saying that everyone who has elevated public exposure due to work should get priority then I agree fully. Sack and I talked about the same thing. I think all of them should go 1A. Police, teachers, emergency responders, essential retail, military, etc.

But you keep harping on olds who are not forced to expose themselves. So your messaging is confusing.

In GR world seniors, starting with say 75 and up would get priority along with their caretakers at facilities and other first responders. Then maybe go down to 65 and include our massive obese population. I look at it mostly from the standpoint of how to most reduce morbidity and mortality due to the virus. 

I would also exclude people who have had confirmed cases from receiving the vaccine. 

In GR world seniors, starting with say 75 and up would get priority along with their caretakers at facilities and other first responders. Then maybe go down to 65 and include our massive obese population. I look at it mostly from the standpoint of how to most reduce morbidity and mortality due to the virus. 

I would also exclude people who have had confirmed cases from receiving the vaccine. 
Eh. It's funny how the olds become important when we're pushing an anti-teacher agenda but for the past year lots of you have hand waved off the significance of Covid because it mostly kills olds.

They're only important when it's expedient to a political agenda is what it looks like.

If you want to force teachers into high contact situations then vaccinate them. If you don't want to vaccinate them then you can spend another month or so with your kids until the teachers are protected. You want to have your cake and eat it too.

Our frontline workers deserve better.

39 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Eh. It's funny how the olds become important when we're pushing an anti-teacher agenda but for the past year lots of you have hand waved off the significance of Covid because it mostly kills olds.

They're only important when it's expedient to a political agenda is what it looks like.

If you want to force teachers into high contact situations then vaccinate them. If you don't want to vaccinate them then you can spend another month or so with your kids until the teachers are protected. You want to have your cake and eat it too.

Our frontline workers deserve better.

It’s just a nuanced argument, I guess. 

Covid and lockdowns- it disproportionately affects old people so they should stay home as much as possible, BUT blanket restrictions on the entire population including young adults don’t make sense. Protect the vulnerable, let everyone else live as normally as possible. 

Vaccines- who will they help the most? Old people and obese people. Give them the vaccine first. Protect the most vulnerable. 

Edited by GRHorn

It’s just a nuanced argument, I guess. 

Covid and lockdowns- it disproportionately affects old people so they should stay home as much as possible, BUT blanket restrictions on the entire population including young adults don’t make sense. Protect the vulnerable, let everyone else live as normally as possible. 

Vaccines- who will they help the most? Old people and obese people. Give them the vaccine first. Protect the most vulnerable. 

Fair. I think I'd prefer that folks like you respect the working class a little more. We can agree to disagree. You're still my boy. You too, anny, even if you're a fuckhead like a third of the time on here (queue spiderman.gif)
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/19/2021 at 11:42 PM, GRHorn said:

It’s the parents’ fault now? Am I taking crazy pills?

Tagging @Enchubben as well.

If a local school district, or the TEA, announced today that everything would be fully open and attendance would be in-person in the fall, you are taking crazy pills if you don't think a shitload of lawsuits will be immediately filed.   Because we have the TEA, I fully expect them to force districts to be 100% open in the fall as it is.

Let me help you out, since evidently you don’t have school age children.

Both of my kids are in school.  My wife has been in education (teaching, admin, etc.) for around 20 years.  You on the other hand, obviously don't know many other parents, or know anybody who teaches or works in education admin.

You open the school for those that want in person instruction. For those that don’t, they can do remote. It’s their choice, no liability. For each grade, some teachers handle in person. Some teachers handle the remote. As more kids move to in person because it’s safe, so do more teachers as needed. 

In a world where unicorns exist and we all shit cotton candy, that sounds great.  It's how we are doing things in Austin right now, and my wife and I are sending are kids to school, and she is working within a school.

But we live in a state where TEA determines how this all plays out.

And because it's the TEA, they will craft their policies in such a manner as they will leave the final decision up to districts, but they will force those districts to pay a massive financial penalty (that they can't afford) if they try and allow for a lot of students to remain remote in the fall.

14 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Try having relatives who consider Fox News to be the gospel.  The things talked about in Social Dilemma (Netflix doc) can be applied beyond social media, and directly to the "news" media, both at the local and national levels. 

I'd like to think the covid stuff would have exposed this to more people, but it only reinforced something that has been shit for decades, with the added bonus that it amplified a lot of false information and/or contributed to the fatigue.  

It's interesting that the best and most accurate reporting early on, and the links are still there in the early pages of this thread, consisted of non-media folks who were compiling stats and information that gave a sense of where this all was headed.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Try having relatives who consider Fox News to be the gospel.  The things talked about in Social Dilemma (Netflix doc) can be applied beyond social media, and directly to the "news" media, both at the local and national levels. 

Or how about NBC News? 

This morning looking over a couple DeSantis articles I found this gem.

A lot of similar allegations as in the CBS article linked, but when I read it this small passage struck me.

Florida, according to the latest NBC News tally, has reported 1.84 million Covid-19 infections and nearly 30,000 deaths due to the coronavirus, some of the worst numbers in the nation.”

On an absolute basis sure. But what about per capita? They’ve had the 27th most cases and 28th most deaths. Is the author unaware of the distinction? Of course not. It’s just blatant misrepresentation of data for purposes of the article. It’s a small detail, but a crystal clear example of how legacy media cannot be trusted to provide news and data to the public or to interpret it justly. 

Tl;Dr 

Can any media can be trusted? We’re all fucked. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Tagging @Enchubben as well.

If a local school district, or the TEA, announced today that everything would be fully open and attendance would be in-person in the fall, you are taking crazy pills if you don't think a shitload of lawsuits will be immediately filed.   Because we have the TEA, I fully expect them to force districts to be 100% open in the fall as it is.

Both of my kids are in school.  My wife has been in education (teaching, admin, etc.) for around 20 years.  You on the other hand, obviously don't know many other parents, or know anybody who teaches or works in education admin.

In a world where unicorns exist and we all shit cotton candy, that sounds great.  It's how we are doing things in Austin right now, and my wife and I are sending are kids to school, and she is working within a school.

But we live in a state where TEA determines how this all plays out.

And because it's the TEA, they will craft their policies in such a manner as they will leave the final decision up to districts, but they will force those districts to pay a massive financial penalty (that they can't afford) if they try and allow for a lot of students to remain remote in the fall.

I wasn’t referring to education options next year. I was referring to opening tomorrow and it’s as simple as I stated. Lawsuits should not be a problem. 

I haven’t thought of how it will go next year or if remote will be completely scrapped. A lot depends on the variants and the next few months. 

I’m still available for consulting. 

You too, anny, even if you're a fuckhead like a third of the time on here (queue spiderman.gif)

B: This entire thread has turned into the same 5 posters crying because their state subsidized babysitters won't watch their children for them fast enough for their liking. It's an awful circle jerk of emotional crybabies who are angry about the hardship of being forced to be around their children for extended periods of time.

A:  If you think the entire school discussion can be boiled down to subsidized day care and and parents sick of being around their children, you clearly don’t understand the issue from the perspective of a parent of school aged children. There are many facets and perspectives involved.

B: We're cool, but you're a fuck head 1/3 of the time.

A:

tenor.gif?itemid=11041516

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

I wasn’t referring to education options next year. I was referring to opening tomorrow and it’s as simple as I stated. Lawsuits should not be a problem. 

I haven’t thought of how it will go next year or if remote will be completely scrapped. A lot depends on the variants and the next few months. 

I was referencing the tweet about schools fully opening this fall, when many/most kids will still not be vaccinated.  Of course many districts want the option of not being full open in the fall, and letting parents make the choice, but I fully expect TEA to make it financially painful on schools that are not 100% open this fall.  TEA already fights tooth-and-nail when schools go remote for X amount of days.

And if the districts go fully open in the fall, per TEA, then yes, there will be a shitload of lawsuits.

If you want to be available for consulting, you could clean up by helping districts fight the TEA assholes, and/or helping Texas elect rational people to the TEA.

4 minutes ago, smoky said:

Should otherwise healthy kids be vaccinated?

This is a great question that’s complex and which we have zero data.

We know COVID is less serious for kids than seasonal flu.  The main argument to vaccinating kids would be to help end the pandemic quicker so kids aren’t spreading it to adults/others who are more likely to have severe disease.  But those higher risk adults will have already been vaccinated by the time kids are up for vaccinations.   

5 minutes ago, Heme Doc said:

This is a great question that’s complex and which we have zero data.

We know COVID is less serious for kids than seasonal flu.  The main argument to vaccinating kids would be to help end the pandemic quicker so kids aren’t spreading it to adults/others who are more likely to have severe disease.  But those higher risk adults will have already been vaccinated by the time kids are up for vaccinations.   

And crucial to the question, we don't have any data yet on vaccine efficacy/safety in kids <16 years old.  The trials that include down to 12 yo will be complete 4Q2021, trials with elementary school aged not until at least 2022.  There will be no good clinical data to inform vaccination of most school aged children by school start Fall 2021. I haven't look at the pediatric study protocols, but given the low rate of symptomatic infection among children, those trials might struggle.  We are going to need to make decisions about Fall semester with the assumption that there are no vaccines available for kids. 

IMO:

Get all the teachers vaccinated.

Give parents the option between in home and virtual, as it is now, at least in my school district.

The real question in my mind is whether the schools will be able to continue with the pretty robust safety measures in place, or whether that starts to fade as teh adult population gets vaccinated over the summer and everything returns to some sense of normalcy.  I know that some posters can't connect the multiple layers safety protocols in place in schools to a qualitative assessment of their safety compared to say, bars and restaurants, but its pretty obvious to the rest of us that these measures are working, and working quite well.  If there is a press to lift these measures before kids are vaccinated, it's a bad setup imo. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away