Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

36 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Well you can’t really shriek at this exact case... The guy hasn’t washed his hair in 4 years and they make him President of the teachers federation. What did they expect would happen?

I bet that motherfucker lives in a tent rent free as well.

tell you what, you can a good look at Biden's vaccinated t-bone by sticking your chinese swab up his ass, but wouldn't you rather take Beijing's word for it?  

You spent 12 months wearing something you didn't think worked?  Why didn't you just switch to another type of mask (N95, KN95, surgical, gaiter, cone style, et. al?  

If you were wearing condoms that you didn't think worked for a whole year, banging Laotian spokesmodels, should we conduct a study for that too or just use common sense? 

Yeah, but at least you didn't make another one at home out of an old t-shirt.  

Oh shit, did you?  I can sorta see you fashioning a little doll out of old clothes and heavy petting it by the fireplace with some scotch.  not judging, you do you.  

22 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You spent 12 months wearing something you didn't think worked?  Why didn't you just switch to another type of mask (N95, KN95, surgical, gaiter, cone style, et. al?  

If you were wearing condoms that you didn't think worked for a whole year, banging Laotian spokesmodels, should we conduct a study for that too or just use common sense? 

Because given my age I really never was all that worried about dying from Covid once the mortality rates by age were known, and that was early on. 

Edited by Johnny Sack

24 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I am not convinced cloth masks do a damn thing to prevent the spread of Covid. I wear one and have since early March 2020. But it should be studied in detail at some point so we get a definitive answer.

https://twitter.com/ianmSC/status/1366136528657768450?s=20

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/10/20-0948_article

It has been studied in detail, and answered in detail. You just don't like reading facts that clash with your worldview, and ignored this when it was posted last fall.

Masks work. They stop the droplets that carry COVID. At least 3 layers gives a noticeably improved level of protection. Neck gators don't work because the thin material acts like a screen door and breaks up big droplets into many small droplets.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Because given my age I really never was all that worried about dying from Covid once the mortality rates by age were known, and that was early on. 

Did you ever worry though that the shoddier mask type might increase the chances, even slightly, of you breathing/spraying it onto folks who were not as fortunate as you to be on the younger side?  

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It has been studied in detail, and answered in detail. You just don't like reading facts that clash with your worldview, and ignored this when it was posted last fall.

Masks work. They stop the droplets that carry COVID. At least 3 layers gives a noticeably improved level of protection. Neck gators don't work because the thin material acts like a screen door and breaks up big droplets into many small droplets.

This is the answer from your link:

cloth masks may provide some protection if well designed and used correctly

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, but at least you didn't make another one at home out of an old t-shirt.  

Oh shit, did you?  I can sorta see you fashioning a little doll out of old clothes and heavy petting it by the fireplace with some scotch.  not judging, you do you.  

the silence of the lambs GIF

31 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I am not convinced cloth masks do a damn thing to prevent the spread of Covid. I wear one and have since early March 2020. But it should be studied in detail at some point so we get a definitive answer.

That's a pretty terrible "analysis" by the guy who posted it. Literally controls for no variables.. just "one country with more mask usage had worse outcomes than another with less mask usage". Sweden has a very young, homogenous population who largely live one-person to an individual housing unit. The UK is the opposite of that.

You'd have to look at studies where proper controls and weightings were used, and there are plenty of those showing that mask usage works. Of course it's not 100% and of course wearing them properly and wearing better masks will move those numbers around.

Or you could just look at flu cases this current flu season.

Edited by BradInATX

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

This is the answer from your link:

cloth masks may provide some protection if well designed and used correctly

Or if you'd rather not cherrypick from the abstract and read the whole thing (problem for you, I know)

Abstract

Cloth masks have been used in healthcare and community settings to protect the wearer from respiratory infections. The use of cloth masks during the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic is under debate. The filtration effectiveness of cloth masks is generally lower than that of medical masks and respirators; however, cloth masks may provide some protection if well designed and used correctly. Multilayer cloth masks, designed to fit around the face and made of water-resistant fabric with a high number of threads and finer weave, may provide reasonable protection. Until a cloth mask design is proven to be equally effective as a medical or N95 mask, wearing cloth masks should not be mandated for healthcare workers. In community settings, however, cloth masks may be used to prevent community spread of infections by sick or asymptomatically infected persons, and the public should be educated about their correct use.

Or if you'd rather just jump to conclusions....

Conclusions

The filtration, effectiveness, fit, and performance of cloth masks are inferior to those of medical masks and respirators. Cloth mask use should not be mandated for healthcare workers, who should as a priority be provided proper respiratory protection. Cloth masks are a more suitable option for community use when medical masks are unavailable. Protection provided by cloth masks may be improved by selecting appropriate material, increasing the number of mask layers, and using those with a design that provides filtration and fit. Cloth masks should be washed daily and after high-exposure use by using soap and water or other appropriate methods.

About 9-10 months ago, I contended that it was never going to be about people per square mile, but people per square foot.  And people scoffed at the notion.  

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The study cited by Captainant says cloth masks "may" work. 

Well it's the CDC's aggregation of many studies, but I could probably find a partisan hack outlet or some dumbfuck GED holder playing doctor on twitter if that's more your speed.

Duke also produced a testing methodology to empirically demonstrate the efficacy of different mask materials, that may be more your speed

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/36/eabd3083

TLDR: they demonstrably work.

Edited by Captainant

And that's fair.  I don't know why I just engaged BradinATX on tax law.  I gotta go take a shower.  He was so fun to party with during the election cycle, and I'm afraid he's gone full Penn. 

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

And that's fair.  I don't know why I just engaged BradinATX on tax law.  I gotta go take a shower.  He was so fun to party with during the election cycle, and I'm afraid he's gone full Penn. 

I'll still party with your crazy ass any day, even if we disagree about one particular thing.

I'll still party with your crazy ass any day, even if we disagree about one particular thing.

Be prepared to speak only in movie quotes, be fall over drunk, listen to the Grateful Dead, and regret it all in the morning.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Govna Abbott going to make a “statewide announcement “ this afternoon - rumors are he’s going to end the mask mandate and possibly other COVID restrictions.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Hate said:

Be prepared to speak only in movie quotes, be fall over drunk, listen to the Grateful Dead, and regret it all in the morning.

To be fair sometimes we talked about oil, Did drugs, and listened to blues Music.  

and I never said i Liked Kramer over George’s character.  Never.  

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

"Multilayer cloth masks, designed to fit around the face and made of water-resistant fabric with a high number of threads and finer weave, may provide reasonable protection. Until a cloth mask design is proven to be equally effective as a medical or N95 mask, wearing cloth masks should not be mandated for healthcare workers. In community settings, however, cloth masks may be used to prevent community spread of infections by sick or asymptomatically infected persons, and the public should be educated about their correct use."

From the abstract.

13 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

"Multilayer cloth masks, designed to fit around the face and made of water-resistant fabric with a high number of threads and finer weave, may provide reasonable protection. Until a cloth mask design is proven to be equally effective as a medical or N95 mask, wearing cloth masks should not be mandated for healthcare workers. In community settings, however, cloth masks may be used to prevent community spread of infections by sick or asymptomatically infected persons, and the public should be educated about their correct use."

From the abstract.

What do you think you've proven here?

From the abstract.

Self own game strong to quite strong.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Lobo will  never by my latex salesman!

Y’all gonna fuck?
  • Haha 1

Cloth mask debate is analogous to our bad coaching debate

Charlie Strong is like wearing no mask

Shaka Smart is like wearing a cloth mask

Tom Herman is like wearing an N95, but not over your nose and sometimes getting drunk without any mask in a strip club.

Steve Sarkisian is like getting a vaccination and praying to God it works against new strains of the disease (OU)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away