Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Hold the phone here fuckknob. You’re saying we have averaged 2k deaths per day in the state of Texas since this started 12 months ago?

Those are entire US numbers, 7-day moving average of new COVID deaths is 2,000 Americans and 50,000 new cases. Texas 7-day moving average is a touch over 200 dead Texans each day to COVID, and 8,000 new COVID cases

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Also, im no longer going to be driving the speed limit or wear a seatbelt when driving.

Even though science and statistics have proven that its safer and saves lives, its just too much for me and I also feel like it restricts my personal freedoms. Do I have any evidence to back up my rationale for doing this? No.... but..... MURICA!

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, B00M said:

Link????????? Did Israel confirm this?????

Sort of a big deal if true.

Nobody posts more wrong information that Greenspoint.  You have to pretty much ignore everything he says in regards to things he says are facts. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Abbott should do a lot of things, but when your schedule is chalk full of posturing and political theater, not much room to do your job. So it goes.

The mask thing probably won’t have that big of an impact on the macro level. Good chunk of the state legit believes the pandemic is a horseshit Democrat Party hoax and behaves accordingly. Good chunk will keep working from home and social distancing. Plenty of businesses will continue to enforce masks, especially in big cities (bummed about HEB though, I like to shop in person; curbside or Whole Paycheck for now I guess). Vaccines and warmer weather coming along. Things will be worse than they would’ve been on an alternate timeline where he waits, say, two or three months to do this, and those deaths are on his hands, but the general trend line probably won’t change much.

The primary impact of this will be 1.) Distracting people from the fact that half the state lost power/water and was a national laughing stock two weeks ago, 2.) Fucking over the people who will be involuntarily exposed to significantly higher risk at work, 3.) Appeasing the mouthbreathing base in an effort to start retirement in the arms race for 2024 beyond.

Perhaps we should compare whether red states or blue states handled covid better?  Per capita death rates and unemployment rates would be a start.  I bet those superior blue state governors crushed it.  And us hicks messed it up.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah. For anyone that has spent any time in a retail setting of any sort you know exactly how much of a cluster fuck this is going to be. 

Or, instead of predicting, Nostradamus,  we could just maybe look at the multitude of states that have no mask mandates.  

49 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

its pretty simple.  if the restaurant/business says masks inside while you get to a table then you do it, if not, don't go in.   If you don't like that a business says don't have to wear mask then don't go in.

I don't care if a waiter wears one or doesn't.

anyone who makes a big deal of this either way is an asshole, IMO.  the business can do what it wants.  the manager might want to work the door for the next few weeks.

That’s not responsive to what I wrote or the point I’m making and it’s not at all simple as a business owner to make the calculation on how you are going to handle any of this shit. But yeah, thanks I guess 😄

15 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Perhaps we should compare whether red states or blue states handled covid better?  Per capita death rates and unemployment rates would be a start.  I bet those superior blue state governors crushed it.  And us hicks messed it up.  

Go ahead and do it. I’m too lazy. Death per capita, population density and unemployment. Maybe average age as well?  I have no idea what the answer is. Would be interested to see. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Or, instead of predicting, Nostradamus,  we could just maybe look at the multitude of states that have no mask mandates.  

He was responding to me saying it would suck for businesses that might be trying to enforce a company policy of wearing a mask. There won’t be any numbers for “how many times cashier gets berated by customer” in any of those other states as we don’t track shut like that- it will all be anecdotal. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Abbott isn’t defensible so I’ll throw the northeast out there as a counter! That will show him! - Johnny Sack, intellectual.

You know, there’s a pretty interesting discussion to be had here if you were looking to do it in good faith. You’re not, and everyone knows that, but the opportunity exists. The northeastern states were hit first with little experience or expertise in dealing with the virus, huge issues with testing and PPE supplies, etc. Many of them have old populations. It stands to reason they’d be out in front on death rates because as a species we tend to get better at things over time. The only states close to catching them on death rates, and probably not going to help themselves in that comparison with the most recent wave of policy, are the most hardcore muh freedom red states, squandering the opportunity to avoid such a catastrophe through better knowledge, treatment, supplies etc.

You get rid of those outliers and you’re left with a wide range of outcomes and approaches between states. California, for example, has outperformed Texas in death rate and vaccinations, but some of their restrictions are laughable fucking nonsense and their unemployment rate is high. Best comparison to Texas for obvious reasons as well. Who did better? You could probably make a reasonable argument either way, and part of it is TBD. But everyone knows you just want to cover for Abbott regardless of what level of shitposting you have to attain to do so.
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s not responsive to what I wrote or the point I’m making and it’s not at all simple as a business owner to make the calculation on how you are going to handle any of this shit. But yeah, thanks I guess 😄

It wasn't really a challenge to your post, sorry about that

• Hook 'Em 1

Abbott isn’t defensible so I’ll throw the northeast out there as a counter! That will show him! - Johnny Sack, intellectual.

You know, there’s a pretty interesting discussion to be had here if you were looking to do it in good faith. You’re not, and everyone knows that, but the opportunity exists. The northeastern states were hit first with little experience or expertise in dealing with the virus, huge issues with testing and PPE supplies, etc. Many of them have old populations. It stands to reason they’d be out in front on death rates because as a species we tend to get better at things over time. The only states close to catching them on death rates, and probably not going to help themselves in that comparison with the most recent wave of policy, are the most hardcore muh freedom red states, squandering the opportunity to avoid such a catastrophe through better knowledge, treatment, supplies etc.

You get rid of those outliers and you’re left with a wide range of outcomes and approaches between states. California, for example, has outperformed Texas in death rate and vaccinations, but some of their restrictions are laughable fucking nonsense and their unemployment rate is high. Best comparison to Texas for obvious reasons as well. Who did better? You could probably make a reasonable argument either way, and part of it is TBD. But everyone knows you just want to cover for Abbott regardless of what level of shitposting you have to attain to do so.

Know who else isn’t going to help their death rates because it’s currently dominating the “cases are high and staying high” department?

74252af7552aaf98e1ed8f42439de01e.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He was responding to me saying it would suck for businesses that might be trying to enforce a company policy of wearing a mask. There won’t be any numbers for “how many times cashier gets berated by customer” in any of those other states as we don’t track shut like that- it will all be anecdotal. 

It's more than just retail or other businesses that will be put in a bad stop.  It puts school districts in a defensive position as well, as we try to round out the school year.  Chaos potentially as we deal with the instability of the guidance and safety measures that have been put in place. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Know who else isn’t going to help their death rates because it’s currently dominating the “cases are high and staying high” department?

74252af7552aaf98e1ed8f42439de01e.jpg

That’s six Democratic governors vs five Republican so not sure that makes the point you want it to on performance of governors from the two parties.

If you’re high risk, get a vaccine.  It isn’t that hard at this point.  If you can’t use a computer or find someone who can for you, stay home until you get a vaccine—if you’re in this bucket you aren’t that essential to our economy anyway.  It shouldn’t be that much longer until even the most computer illiterate can sign up for a shot   

If you’re not high risk then you shouldn’t worry.  

• Fuck You 2

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

If you’re high risk, get a vaccine.  It isn’t that hard at this point.  If you can’t use a computer or find someone who can for you, stay home until you get a vaccine—if you’re in this bucket you aren’t that essential to our economy anyway.  It shouldn’t be that much longer until even the most computer illiterate can sign up for a shot   

If you’re not high risk then you shouldn’t worry.  

• Haha 1

That’s six Democratic governors vs five Republican so not sure that makes the point you want it to on performance of governors from the two parties.

You wrote paragraphs on why the MuH freedoms red states are going to catch the early hit NE despite not being infected with it right away. But deaths are a lagging indicator of cases, the NE corridor isn’t looking to promising 1 year into it.

The red states are pretty spaced out around the country
  • Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The draconian lock downs that existed in some places are so horrific to the economies and antithetical to our freedoms as Americans (yes- even our freedom to be assholes) that the burden of proof has got to be on those locking down their states indefinitely and keeping them locked down to show some manner of efficacy in their programs. 

Now, the bitch of it is that with half the society not willing to engage in life as normal, justifiably so for a hell of a lot of people, shit was going to shut down and people were going to lose their livelihood from the invisible dick (errr hand) of the market anyway, I think. 

It’s a deep blue state.  

So we tried to defend Abbott by arguing that Republican governors were better, that didn’t go particularly well, and now we’re going with Democrats being to blame for the performance where Republicans control the governor’s office. Like I said, no interest in discussing in good faith, just want to play partisan cheerleader, no matter how stupid you look. Done here.

You wrote paragraphs on why the MuH freedoms red states are going to catch the early hit NE despite not being infected with it right away. But deaths are a lagging indicator of cases, the NE corridor isn’t looking to promising 1 year into it.

The red states are pretty spaced out around the country

Lol. I wrote one sentence saying jumping the gun on the mask and distancing policy wouldn’t help them in that regard, but sure, let’s call it paragraphs.

Those states largely have closed the death gap, they’re only slightly below on a per capita basis. Not particularly superior performance given the advantages at their disposal. All of those states above, red or blue, have downward trend lines and probably aren’t going to see per capita death rates increase significantly over the next couple weeks. Going forward the reversal in policy is could cause some issues for the states removing all measures in a way where they underperform other states enough that they continue to close the gap with the early northeastern states, even if the overall trend line is still down. Surely you understand that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The draconian lock downs that existed in some places are so horrific to the economies and antithetical to our freedoms as Americans (yes- even our freedom to be assholes) that the burden of proof has got to be on those locking down their states indefinitely and keeping them locked down to show some manner of efficacy in their programs. 

Now, the bitch of it is that with half the society not willing to engage in life as normal, justifiably so for a hell of a lot of people, shit was going to shut down and people were going to lose their livelihood from the invisible dick (errr hand) of the market anyway, I think. 

Agreed, I think there’s a medium to aim for, even if it’s often a moving target. It’s a hard needle to thread and I don’t envy someone in charge trying to govern in good faith. In the same way some of the restrictions in CA have been ridiculous, ending a mask mandate and prohibiting local governments from using their own, when, numbers are worse than when it was enacted is the opposite end of the spectrum.

23 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

So we tried to defend Abbott by arguing that Republican governors were better, that didn’t go particularly well, and now we’re going with Democrats being to blame for the performance where Republicans control the governor’s office. Like I said, no interest in discussing in good faith, just want to play partisan cheerleader, no matter how stupid you look. Done here.

Lol. I wrote one sentence saying jumping the gun on the mask and distancing policy wouldn’t help them in that regard, but sure, let’s call it paragraphs.

Those states largely have closed the death gap, they’re only slightly below on a per capita basis. Not particularly superior performance given the advantages at their disposal. All of those states above, red or blue, have downward trend lines and probably aren’t going to see per capita death rates increase significantly over the next couple weeks. Going forward the reversal in policy is could cause some issues for the states removing all measures in a way where they underperform other states enough that they continue to close the gap with the early northeastern states, even if the overall trend line is still down. Surely you understand that.

There is data on deaths per capita over time, per state if anyone cares.  It gives a little more clarity to what effects state policies may have had after the first couple of months.

https://covidtracking.com/data/charts/deaths-per-million-by-state

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Everyone is going to need to wait another year or more before they start slinging the our parties #1 around. The real damage won't be seen until after all the lock downs and Covid related protections expire. The true suffering for millions that survived this hasn't even begun yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Going forward the reversal in policy is could cause some issues for the states removing all measures in a way where they underperform other states enough that they continue to close the gap with the early northeastern states, even if the overall trend line is still down. Surely you understand that.

Yes but when it doesn't you'll excuse it somehow like you excused the shitshow in NY.

Pot, kettle.

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

There is data on deaths per capita over time, per state if anyone cares.  It gives a little more clarity to what effects state policies may have had after the first couple of months.

https://covidtracking.com/data/charts/deaths-per-million-by-state

Yep. It was the initial Spring wave, when treatments were so iffy, that proved so deadly across the northeastern states.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Some good people just want fweedom.

15 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

And forcing infected people into nursing homes.  Who could have known that was iffy?

Did all of the northeastern states have that idiotic policy? You see the same astronomical deaths-per-cases ratio in all those very early states up there. I refuse any attempt to defend Cuomo's decisions and think he should resign, but that doesn't negate the fact that overall healthcare outcomes were much worse across all geographies in the earliest months.

• Haha 1

How is it in other parts of the state? We've had roaming government mobs here confiscating masks and forcing people to go out to eat, shop, and employ people at small businesses ... how you guys encountered this kind of fascist authoritarianism in other parts of the state?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Georgia reopened early last year and got absolutely lambasted for it (remember tattoo parlors, bowling allies, hair salons?). We’re currently #19 out of 50 states for total cases per capita and 21st in deaths per capita so thankfully the most dire predictions didn’t come true. Georgia has been pretty open during most of this (in parts of my town on a Saturday night you’d never even know there was a pandemic).

That said, I’m glad another state is going to be the guinea pig this time. I truly hope it goes well.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yes but when it doesn't you'll excuse it somehow like you excused the shitshow in NY.

Pot, kettle.

If it doesn’t I’ll be glad because I’m not a sociopath who would be happy for people to die so I can be right on the internet.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away