Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Georgia reopened early last year and got absolutely lambasted for it (remember tattoo parlors, bowling allies, hair salons?). We’re currently #19 out of 50 states for total cases per capita and 21st in deaths per capita so thankfully the most dire predictions didn’t come true. Georgia has been pretty open during most of this (in parts of my town on a Saturday night you’d never even know there was a pandemic).

That said, I’m glad another state is going to be the guinea pig this time. I truly hope it goes well.

Honestly, the 100% open part doesn't even bother me. With the exception of large events, life has been completely normal in San Antonio for months. 

Removing the mask mandate for no reason is the stupid part. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Honestly, the 100% open part doesn't even bother me. With the exception of large events, life has been completely normal in San Antonio for months. 

Agreed. 

This is where I'm at on it. Open up, but why remove the mask requirement? Makes no sense to me.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Okie State said:
32 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

This is where I'm at on it. Open up, but why remove the mask requirement? Makes no sense to me.

To appease the GQP base, that’s it

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Okie State said:
38 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Agree. Removing the mask requirement as the UK variant spreads seems like not a good idea. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just looked at a bunch of Austin breweries on my social media. Putting this on businesses instead of government is a total abdication of responsibility, and going just about as well as you’d expect. I’m going to assume someone gets shot over this before it’s all said and done. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, drt said:

Just looked at a bunch of Austin breweries on my social media. Putting this on businesses instead of government is a total abdication of responsibility, and going just about as well as you’d expect. I’m going to assume someone gets shot over this before it’s all said and done. 

Well when was the last time the entire state of Texas was fucked over by rolling back regulations and relying on individuals to behave responsibly? I'm sure we'll be fine /s

6 minutes ago, drt said:

Putting this on businesses instead of government is a total abdication of responsibility, and going just about as well as you’d expect. I’m going to assume someone gets shot over this before it’s all said and done. 

Dude, the Republican platform and policy.  This is their leader stating their platform and policy.

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Busy hauling non-mask wearers to the hospital, probably.  This thread features lots of politics.  Says so in the title.  Whiner.

Idgaf. It’s just the usual refrain from CR types. 

• Fuck You 1

Just now, Captainant said:

LMAO are you so fragile that seeing people act with personal responsibility is distasteful to you? How are you still an antimasker? Don't you have a """medical""" background?

I meant to avoid him, you fucking loser. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

You can add me to the "I'm fine with businesses opening, but getting rid of masks is stupid" squad. Said as much a few days ago.

Re-opening businesses is an economic move. Getting rid of masks is a purely cynical political move.

Same. 

9 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Had to hit HEB here in NB this morning for a couple of things and everyone was masked, which I was genuinely surprised by. 

Why are you surprised? The mask mandate is still in effect.

• Like 1

Georgia reopened early last year and got absolutely lambasted for it (remember tattoo parlors, bowling allies, hair salons?). We’re currently #19 out of 50 states for total cases per capita and 21st in deaths per capita so thankfully the most dire predictions didn’t come true. Georgia has been pretty open during most of this (in parts of my town on a Saturday night you’d never even know there was a pandemic).

That said, I’m glad another state is going to be the guinea pig this time. I truly hope it goes well.

I’m quite sure Iowa’s been this way for a few weeks. South Dakota’s been like it since last March although based on ncaa bball games ive seen in that state they haven’t allowed spectators or fans inside. Could be a conference thing or a state thing, dunno

One thing I know.  Now that this mandate is lifted, if you see a woman using her thong as a mask...that is not a political statement...that's just her telling you she is 'Down to Clown', leave your basket at the deli and head to her car.  

The cursory research I made about this (mainly texts while taking a shit)...nobody close to him has any explanation as to why hditched the mask mandate other than as a 2022 pre-emptive signal to his would-be challengers to back the fuck down.  It's not even really a distraction from the grid failure.  He's of the opinion that all the resignations, sicking his legal dogs on them, and then allowing for some compromised winterizing requirements to be passed by the Leg. to pretty much have taken care of that.  Some close to him even feel that this won't backfire on Biden (though his dumbest base will believe that).  If anything, it may help Biden in Texas.  We're gonna flare up again (probably were as Spring Break, complacency, and ignorance of vaccine facts expand anyway), and it'll be somebody else swooping in to save Texas with more vaccines and federal aide.  This may severely cost him in the Suburbs where people will listen to whichever side is gonna get their lives more normal.  And being "normal" on the inside is more important to suburban voters than feeling "normal" because you get to go to a Chili's with no restrictions.  

The prevailing wisdom amongst the GOP "adults" was open up business, plow ahead with vaccines and mitigation until end of May/June.  Open up completely with no restrictions by July.  I think the negatives are gonna outweigh the positives in the next 90 days.  

Plus, CRE owner/operators are blowing up today.  Rent forgiveness and debt forbearance is all over now all around the state because all business restrictions are lifted.  It's Goodfellas out there.

"Oh you had a bad month?  Fuck you, pay me!"  

38 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Agreed. It’s pretty dumb, and is going to generate videos of jackasses arguing with business owners/managers who aren’t political and merely don’t want an outbreak traced back to their business. 

That's true and we'll act like those 5 dumbasses represent the whole state and are causing the entire pandemic.

An aside is where are people seeing these "muh freedoms" mask refusers? I've yet to see a single person refuse to wear a mask, or not wearing one, and of course we had a pretty high # of "cases" (915). Do people honestly think if we had 100% compliance (an aside is what you think the actual compliance % is) things would be much different? I'm not seeing it.

Complaining that people ignore the mandate and then caterwauling when it is lifted* is a bit inconsistent.

* I don't think they should have lifted it either, but I don't see mandates/policy as direct levers to human behavior

18 hours ago, Lobo said:

Wasn't the official pandemic announcement put down on 11 March, 2020?  

So when his inevitable batshit Qanon primary contender says, "Governor Abbott put these draconian restrictions on your freedoms for a full year!" 

Governor Abbott can at least retort, "No!  It was 51 weeks asshole!"   

2 weeks to flatten the curve...25.5 times!!! 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Captainant said:

LMAO are you so fragile that seeing people act with personal responsibility is distasteful to you? How are you still an antimasker? Don't you have a """medical""" background?

That's an awful rich argument for you considering you support so many policies that favor people that show zero personal responsibility for anything.  

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Plus, CRE owner/operators are blowing up today.  Rent forgiveness and debt forbearance is all over now all around the state because all business restrictions are lifted.  It's Goodfellas out there.

"Oh you had a bad month?  Fuck you, pay me!"  

The CRE owners’ mortgage lenders have probably been saying “Fuck you, pay me!” since last March. The shutdown pinched everyone. 

The CRE owners’ mortgage lenders have probably been saying “Fuck you, pay me!” since last March. The shutdown pinched everyone. 

Without going down a legal rabbit hole, force majeure has provided tenants and landlords over the last year with leverage to negotiate abatements and forbearances. Opening up with no restrictions punishes responsible businesses wanting to protect their customers and employees.

Pretty clear what is going on here. Same thing re unemployment benefits. Can’t work? Why not?

^

Yep, he opened up that rabbit hole without considering the medium-term consequences on the very retail he thinks he's helping.  Revenues will go up, but overhead is going to go WAY THE FUCK UP.  In finance terms, we call that "a large gap, a 'gape' if you will."  

I have about another 6-8 weeks of wearing masks at places that don't require it out of politeness and not wanting to deal with the pearl clutching mask Karens. It will then be time to move on. I don't think cloth masks do much good anyway, especially considering how most dumbfucks wear them.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

I have about another 6-8 weeks of wearing masks at places that don't require it out of politeness and not wanting to deal with the pearl clutching mask Karens. It will then be time to move on. I don't think cloth masks do much good anyway, especially considering how most dumbfucks wear them.

spacer.png

I was on a flight a few weeks ago and on the isle across from me there was a couple with two children. The dad was eating, one kid didn't have a mask, the other kid had the mask around his chin, and the wife had her mask only covering her mouth. My ears itched from wearing the mask for so long so I took it off for a second just as a stewardess walked up from behind and said, "Excuse me sir, you need to keep your mask on during the flight". I said, "give me a second my ear itches from wearing the mask for the last 5 hours". She then said, "You need to wear your mask at all times unless you are eating. If you don't put on your mask immediately, you may not be allowed to fly with United again".

Motherfucker, I had my mask off for literally 2 seconds before you came by while half the flight is wearing bandanas that only loosely cover the mouth if they are wearing anything over their faces at all. It took everything I had to just shutup and take the abuse.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Motherfucker, I had my mask off for literally 2 seconds before you came by while half the flight is wearing bandanas that only loosely cover the mouth if they are wearing anything over their faces at all. It took everything I had to just shutup and take the abuse.

Cunts with perceived power are the worst.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I was on a flight a few weeks ago and on the isle across from me there was a couple with two children. The dad was eating, one kid didn't have a mask, the other kid had the mask around his chin, and the wife had her mask only covering her mouth. My ears itched from wearing the mask for so long so I took it off for a second just as a stewardess walked up from behind and said, "Excuse me sir, you need to keep your mask on during the flight". I said, "give me a second my ear itches from wearing the mask for the last 5 hours". She then said, "You need to wear your mask at all times unless you are eating. If you don't put on your mask immediately, you may not be allowed to fly with United again".

Thank you for flying the Friendly Skies.
  • Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away