Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

12 hours ago, BradInATX said:
12 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:
Don’t understand either, but I need to see the science that says wearing a mask while social distancing on the way to your indoor table at a restaurant (where you then take a seat and remove your mask) is safer than walking to your table while social distancing without a mask on?  

*was noted up thread, not you. 

*have not entered a single public place without a mask in a year. 

A lot of that seems pretty theatrical and irritates me at times. But I try to consider the reasoning. If someone walked past my table in Covid times maskless and accidentally sneezed near me or my family or in my unlimited breadsticks, I'd be pretty fuckin pissed off. Even if accidental. I assume that's the type of stuff it's trying to prevent even if it seems silly. And it's zero effort to wear one walking around unless you're fat and out of shape.

Agreed, and I wear a mask everywhere even though I am grossly fat and have not been on my treadmill for one year.

• Like 1

Nah, I think mask reporting has pretty much quelled.  I think we can look more forward to private businesses that clearly state at the entrance, "Despite State Orders, this is a private business on private property and we request that all patrons wear proper face coverings at all times during their shopping.  Thank you" and then you'll have even more emboldened assholes picking fights with assistant shift managers and elderly cashiers to prove their freedoms. 

Before, those folks kinda knew they were being assholes and were just looking for attention and social media trending.  But now, the truly stupid ones will think they're patriots sent there by their Governor to do God's bidding.  I think the shitshows we see in the next 90 days will make the scenes from last year look like child's play.  I think I'm going to purposely sneeze or cough on people not wearing masks because there's no law that says you can't do that.  

tl; dr  everybody at my liquor store of choice was good enough to mask up yesterday.  Somehow we all got our hooch and went on our way without a breakdown in the Bill of Rights.    

16 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Where does not wearing a mask inside day care dropping your kid off rank on the jackass scale? Seent it this morning

Shit, my sister in laws daycare hasn't worn masks at all since covid started. Not a single fucking person in the building. 

Shit, my sister in laws daycare hasn't worn masks at all since covid started. Not a single fucking person in the building. 

My 5 year old has gone to preschool 3 hours a day 5 days a week, maskless, along with 10 others in her classroom, 10 others in the other class since September. Only missed two true school days for a case all of the way back in October. They never mentioned what class had it,AM or PM but we got a email saying our 5YO wasn’t a close contact.

Teachers wear a shield or masks tho and parents wear them dropping the kids off. Have to answer if they have symptoms or contacts each day. Worked well so far
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

My 5 year old has gone to preschool 3 hours a day 5 days a week, maskless, along with 10 others in her classroom, 10 others in the other class since September. Only missed two true school days for a case all of the way back in October. They never mentioned what class had it,AM or PM but we got a email saying our 5YO wasn’t a close contact.

Teachers wear a shield or masks tho and parents wear them dropping the kids off. Have to answer if they have symptoms or contacts each day. Worked well so far

My kid's daycare mandates that all teachers wear them and all kids over 10 wear them (not many, mainly after school care kids that are 10 years old).  Literally every instructor/child care lady up there wears it like a chin diaper except the owner.  Then one went up there (infant caregiver) on a Friday and ended up testing positive the next Monday.  She started feeling ill over the weekend.

Whole daycare shut down for 2 weeks.  I spoke with the owner of the place when I dropped my kid off the day they started back as she had personally called every parent the Sunday before they were set to open back up and she told me that over half the parents she talked to ended up testing positive and their kids were all positive.  No way to tell if parents caught it as a result of the woman who came to work sick and didn't know it.  Wife and I got sick.  Kid had the sniffles and was lethargic for a day then back to normal.  We had 102 fevers and a kid bouncing off the walls for two weeks.  It was fun.

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Hes still got it!

giphy.gif

Yeah see haters, we're golden.  Texas is only at about 8,000 cases/day.  We're totally under the 10,000 cases/day threshold.  Good to go baby!  

Nah man, it's all good.  It's 10,000 total so Texas is fine.  Nice little cushion built in there, just got my vaccine today.  /noCRgoMAGA

Well, I'm looking at confirmed new cases + probable new cases as listed on both NIH and DHS Texas, totaling about 6,000.  But hey, that's even less than the 10,000 case limit Fauci recommends so let's open this shit up! 

Edited by Lobo

I don't really like the 10,000 cases metric. We could be in a situation soon where we're getting 30,000 cases per day with only 200 deaths per day due to the most at-risk being vaccinated. 200 deaths per day is March 2020 level and standard flu level. There's no reason not to open back up at that point when half or more of the country will be vaccinated.

This is a situation where I agree with several of the guys who have generally been on the other side of this as me for the past year. I thought the goal was getting hospitalizations and deaths to a normal level. I don't give a fuck about cases. This feels like moving the goalposts which is counterproductive to what Fauci is trying to do.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I don't really like the 10,000 cases metric. We could be in a situation soon where we're getting 30,000 cases per day with only 200 deaths per day due to the most at-risk being vaccinated. 200 deaths per day is March 2020 level and standard flu level. There's no reason not to open back up at that point when half or more of the country will be vaccinated.

This is a situation where I agree with several of the guys who have generally been on the other side of this as me for the past year. I thought the goal was getting hospitalizations and deaths to a normal level. I don't give a fuck about cases. This feels like moving the goalposts which is counterproductive to what Fauci is trying to do.

yep. The moment they start talking cases or god forbid positivity rate, to me they are not making the right argument. It is all about admits and % of beds utilized.

Someone in their 20s catching covid and recovering at their house doesn't mean shit in the big picture.

I completely agree and the messaging from Fauci has been inconsistent now for way too long. Is it hospitalizations and deaths or cases?? It just adds fuel to the anti-mask and anti-vax crowds.

5 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Detroit has been Detroiting since Detroit became Detroit.  And that's why they're still Detroit.

Just now, Judge Roybeanbag said:

They have a lot of Catholics or something?  I don't understand the logic of turning down a vaccine.

Given the issues with health disparities in COVID outcomes and vaccine delivery, in particular to black communities, this is unfathomable. The only answer when someone offers you 6k shots is "Yep, we will find a way to get them into arms". 

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

They have a lot of Catholics or something?  I don't understand the logic of turning down a vaccine.

I obviously don't agree with it, and this is the running for the dumbest Covid-related policy decision (though the competition is fierce for this honor), but here's what the Mayor said - 

The city of Detroit declined its alloted Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine doses this week, and Mayor Mike Duggan doubled down Thursday on his reasoning for sticking with the vaccines from Moderna and Pfizer.

"Johnson & Johnson is a very good vaccine. Moderna and Pfizer are the best," Duggan said in a news conference. "And I am going to do everything I can to make sure that residents of the city of Detroit get the best."

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

"Johnson & Johnson is a very good vaccine. Moderna and Pfizer are the best," Duggan said in a news conference. "And I am going to do everything I can to make sure that residents of the city of Detroit get the best."

"I know my people are starving to death, but Fish is better than Chicken so we won't be serving the Chicken you gave us."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I obviously don't agree with it, and this is the running for the dumbest Covid-related policy decision (though the competition is fierce for this honor), but here's what the Mayor said - 

The city of Detroit declined its alloted Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine doses this week, and Mayor Mike Duggan doubled down Thursday on his reasoning for sticking with the vaccines from Moderna and Pfizer.

"Johnson & Johnson is a very good vaccine. Moderna and Pfizer are the best," Duggan said in a news conference. "And I am going to do everything I can to make sure that residents of the city of Detroit get the best OR DIE TRYING."

Fify.

Just now, BradInATX said:

So basically everyone here agrees with the same general philosophy?

Where the fuck am I and what have ya'll done with my Surlyhorns?

I mean, I guess I should have posted something like "get the vaccine to meet this reasonable goal.  And OU sucks.  And Vic Mackey digs fat women."  You know, to create perfect agreement.

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The goal should be "control the thing that makes COVID bad -- serious illness and death."  We can do that now.  We should do it with all possible speed.  And when we get it knocked back far enough, we should return to a fully functional life and economy, worldwide.

And yet that's not the message that is being delivered to the public - Fauci and his crew are talking about "a degree of normality" sometime next year even though we will have enough vaccines to vax everybody who wants one by the end of next month (or maybe this month).  These vague check-is-in-the-mail assurances and unrealistic expectations of the zeroists (those who expect the risk to be zero) may be a driver in states like Texas & Mississippi & Iowa ending all of their restrictions now.

And then even when everybody is vaccinated, there will STILL be some states and school districts across the country where the teacher unions are powerful that won't re-open in person. 

In this clip below towards the end of the of story, the school distrct superintendent is basically saying they won't re-open in the Fall because of the ridiculous CDC "guidance" on school safety.  And then people wonder why a large segment of the population is growing impatient.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

And yet that's not the message that is being delivered to the public - Fauci and his crew are talking about "a degree of normality" sometime next year even though we will have enough vaccines to vax everybody who wants one by the end of next month (or maybe this month).  These vague check-is-in-the-mail assurances and unrealistic expectations of the zeroists (those who expect the risk to be zero) may be a driver in states like Texas & Mississippi & Iowa ending all of their restrictions now.

And then even when everybody is vaccinated, there will STILL be some states and school districts across the country where the teacher unions are powerful that won't re-open in person. 

In this clip below towards the end of the of story, the school distrct superintendent is basically saying they won't re-open in the Fall because of the ridiculous CDC "guidance" on school safety.  And then people wonder why a large segment of the population is growing impatient.

I generally agree with the point you're making -- thus my direct notation of the problems on "both sides."

I don't think that the public health message has been plain, direct, and as reasonable as it should be.  There should be a plain statement: "we don't expect to fully open businesses or schools and have nobody ever get sick.  Catching a cold or the flu are risks that we have lived with for all of modern history.  What we expect to do is return to some normalcy when we have reduced the outsized risk of an illness killing or seriously injuring people at a higher rate than we've historically seen.  And we can do that.  Here's how [discuss vaccines and sufficient rate of vaccination]."

But I also think that the pushback has been horribly messaged as well.  The mask debate is so goddamned stupid -- "my face, my choice."  No, fuckwit, it's about how much of a risk you present to others.  The pushback based on the absolutely false premise of "it's just the flu!" is infuriating (the worst 12 month tally of flu deaths in modern history is 80,000.....we're well over 500,000 dead for COVID).

If we accepted simple and obvious truths, and set realistic and achievable goals, we'd all be better off.  We seem to be unable to do that.  So, fuck us.

• Hook 'Em 4

56 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean, I guess I should have posted something like "get the vaccine to meet this reasonable goal.  And OU sucks.  And Vic Mackey digs fat women."  You know, to create perfect agreement.

And don't fuck with short wrestlers in a bathroom with piss-soaked floors, that also has 100% consensus.

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I generally agree with the point you're making -- thus my direct notation of the problems on "both sides."

I don't think that the public health message has been plain, direct, and as reasonable as it should be.  There should be a plain statement: "we don't expect to fully open businesses or schools and have nobody ever get sick.  Catching a cold or the flu are risks that we have lived with for all of modern history.  What we expect to do is return to some normalcy when we have reduced the outsized risk of an illness killing or seriously injuring people at a higher rate than we've historically seen.  And we can do that.  Here's how [discuss vaccines and sufficient rate of vaccination]."

But I also think that the pushback has been horribly messaged as well.  The mask debate is so goddamned stupid -- "my face, my choice."  No, fuckwit, it's about how much of a risk you present to others.  The pushback based on the absolutely false premise of "it's just the flu!" is infuriating (the worst 12 month tally of flu deaths in modern history is 80,000.....we're well over 500,000 dead for COVID).

If we accepted simple and obvious truths, and set realistic and achievable goals, we'd all be better off.  We seem to be unable to do that.  So, fuck us.

How many flu deaths would we have if we tested 400 million for the flu in 10 months and categorized everyone who had a positive result who dies within 60 days from a positive result or presumed positive for flu as a flu death?

I am not sure I trust the 500,000 to 80,000 is apples to apples.  We would have a lot more flu deaths if it were.

This is a sidetrack. I absolutely believe Covid is dangerous for older people. The flu doesn't wipe out nursing homes like Covid does.  Nor does it spread as easy as Covid. Someone in my house gets the flu probably once a year.  We never transmit it to each other.  Wife got Covid from her sister around New Years, and all 4 of us had it despite being as careful as one can be when living together.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

So much of the idiocy -- yep, on "both sides" -- is because we (and I mean the whole planet, not just the US) don't have a clearly articulated and reasonable goal for where we should end up.

What makes COVID bad is not that it makes you congested and feel like shit.  Colds to that.  The flu does that.  And we live normal lives with those things circulating.  What makes COVID bad is that it causes DEBILITATING illness (with long-term physical harm) and death at a much higher rate than other respiratory illnesses.  

So, I have always thought that our goal should be to knock COVID back to where it is just another endemic respiratory illness that sucks, but doesn't kill people.  And what do you know....the vaccines out there right now accomplish that goal.  Yes, they make it very unlikely that you get sick at all, but most importantly, they functionally 100% prevent serious illness and death.  If we can get shots in arms, we have met the goal.

The goal can't be, nor should it be, to "eliminate" COVID from the earth.  Maybe someday, 10 years from now, we could execute a plan to get us there.  But in the near term, that can't be accomplished, so it's a foolish goal.   The goal shouldn't even be "make COVID less prevalent than the flu."

The goal should be "control the thing that makes COVID bad -- serious illness and death."  We can do that now.  We should do it with all possible speed.  And when we get it knocked back far enough, we should return to a fully functional life and economy, worldwide.

Exactly.  Any well run company starts a project with generally agreed upon and well-articulated goals on what success looks like.  Politics aside both administrations have failed to do this (though Biden obviously gets more of a pass now because at least his administration is acting like adults about this thing)  I sort of get that in the beginning with a lot of unknowns that was more difficult but now they need to put together a solid "this is victory" speech for Biden and he needs to give it and own it.   People may disagree with the goal (they always do) but it needs to be clear, it needs to be elevating and it needs to pounded into submission.

• Hook 'Em 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away