Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Just now, Heme Doc said:

Oh for fucks sake!  Come on people

That's cause you know and understand the data. The vast majority of Americans are stupid, and more than happy to outsource their critical thinking skills to twitter and bureaucrats. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

JFC.

3 minutes ago, Heme Doc said:

Oh for fucks sake!  Come on people

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

This is the result of the piss poor messaging around vaccination.  These new technologies are the truth.  Sad that our public health messaging is failing to communicate that. 

Heme Doc is the only one of you I like agreeing with.  But truth is truth, and I gotta agree with all three of you.

Our fucking messaging on vaccines and what they get you is fucking maddening.  Get a vaccine!  Totally protect yourself and everyone you come into contact with!  But WAIT....you still have to act as if nothing has changed!  You could totally still die, even though literally 20 words ago I said the opposite!

What the fucking fuck?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

I mean, I'll sit and listen to someone who just doesn't feel like right now is the right time for them and their family to take the vaccine.  But can somebody explain this to me?  Is this the most salient capture of the current United States in bar graph form?  We went from dropping numbers of people who won't take the shots to a massive spike in "I haven't taken it yet.  I'm not opposed to taking it, just not now.  And in the meantime, party on Wayne...let's get back out there!"  We were making incremental progress but then what the fuck is this?  Half the people who won't take it/haven't taken it think it's open season?  How'd we get there from just a couple weeks ago?  I don't get it.   Something else happened that this chart isn't showing.

Edited by Lobo

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

Team Apocalypse - take a bow.  You've won.

If there's a way to be wrong about something, we'll find it.  But what makes us, as Americans, truly exceptional, is that we can simultaneously be profoundly wrong about the same thing from two polar opposite directions.  We can be both incredibly stupid in thinking that COVID is nothing, take no precautions, AND thinking that no matter what precautions you take (vaccination), you're still gonna die.  

To accomplish both flavors of stupidity with such intensity.....well, I'd like to see some pussy-ass country like Latvia pull that shit off.  America, fuck yeah!

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Team Apocalypse - take a bow.  You've won.

Dr. Water Bottle has been a complete disaster. Maybe if dumbass president houseplant would stop wearing his gigantic face maxi-pad. I swear he's like a redneck with a big, loud truck compensation.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Heme Doc is the only one of you I like agreeing with.  But truth is truth, and I gotta agree with all three of you.

Part of the problem is that people get too tied up in their personal feelings on the messenger and lose their objectivity and common sense.  You don't appear to have that problem in this particular case, which is worthy of some recognition.  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I mean, I'll sit and listen to someone who just doesn't feel like right now is the right time for them and their family to take the vaccine.  But can somebody explain this to me?  Is this the most salient capture of the current United States in bar graph form?  We went from dropping numbers of people who won't take the shots to a massive spike in "I haven't taken it yet.  I'm not opposed to taking it, just not now.  And in the meantime, party on Wayne...let's get back out there!"  We were making incremental progress but then what the fuck is this?  Half the people who won't take it/haven't taken it think it's open season?  How'd we get there from just a couple weeks ago?  I don't get it.   Something else happened that this chart isn't showing.

We found new and innovative ways to be stupid.

It's the kind of thinking that got us to the moon.  Except, you know, the opposite.

These survey results are also why I am very, very, very, very skeptical that schools will be open in-person to 100% of school students in August.

They will sure as shit be 100% open in my children's school district. And they should be nationwide. Every adolescent that wants a shot will be eligible to get one before the Summer is complete.  There is no excuse. That all said, if a family is not there with in-school education, I do think that some reasonable options need to be made available.  Try to meet people where they are at.  There are going to be some people so brain damaged by the last year, understandably, that re-entry is going to be a very stressful process. Me, I'm just ready to put my kids back on the busses so I don't have to coordinate pick ups every day between the wife and I.  

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

They will sure as shit be 100% open in my children's school district. And they should be nationwide. Every adolescent that wants a shot will be eligible to get one before the Summer is complete.  There is no excuse. That all said, if a family is not there with in-school education, I do think that some reasonable options need to be made available.  Try to meet people where they are at.  There are going to be some people so brain damaged by the last year, understandably, that re-entry is going to be a very stressful process. Me, I'm just ready to put my kids back on the busses so I don't have to coordinate pick ups every day between the wife and I.  

Our district is thinking about doing permanent online to breastfeed all the freaking snowflakes.

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Our district is thinking about doing permanent online to breastfeed all the freaking snowflakes.

Already happened in Denton ISD and will probably be happening in every large school district.  smh.  Because kids, K-8, don't spend enough time on a screen already.

The Denton ISD K-8 Virtual Academy is a public, tuition-free school, for students in kindergarten through 8th grade. The fully remote option will provide an opportunity for students who thrive in the online environment to learn virtually. The district will provide Chromebooks for any student who opts to use a district-issued device. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Already happened in Denton ISD and will probably be happening in every large school district.  smh.  Because kids, K-8, don't spend enough time on a screen already.

The Denton ISD K-8 Virtual Academy is a public, tuition-free school, for students in kindergarten through 8th grade. The fully remote option will provide an opportunity for students who thrive in the online environment to learn virtually. The district will provide Chromebooks for any student who opts to use a district-issued device. 

Seems like more of an option here.

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

One step closer to obsolescing public schooling. You can do virtual learning/home schooling through anywhere. 

That would be a silver lining of the Wuhan Willies ... more smart people pull their kids out of the shitshow that is most public schools.

The above survey is consistent with this one a week or 2 ago where 30+% of people surveyed would refuse to go to a sporting event EVEN IF EVERYONE WAS VACCINATED.

I posted a few weeks ago that the biggest barrier to getting back to normal will be our new habit (learned over the past 12 months) to view our fellow man as a ticking time bomb and if you get too close, you die.

It's going to take a long time to unlearn this habit...if we ever do.

• Hook 'Em 1

The above survey is consistent with this one a week or 2 ago where 30+% of people surveyed would refuse to go to a sporting event EVEN IF EVERYONE WAS VACCINATED.
I posted a few weeks ago that the biggest barrier to getting back to normal will be our new habit (learned over the past 12 months) to view our fellow man as a ticking time bomb and if you get too close, you die.

Yep. But also just eating in a restaurant for the first time in a year can break a big barrier to getting back to normal for some.

20 minutes ago, Deej said:

America went full aggy.

In fairness ... they watch television where actresses tell them a woman with a masters in community college should be surgeon general ... not completely our fault.

26 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Yep. But also just eating in a restaurant for the first time in a year can break a big barrier to getting back to normal for some.

Are your hands fully mummified around your pearls? Just wear a mask bruh.

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

And I think there is a distinction between refusing to sell a gay person a premade cookie or forcing a baker to make a custom cake, which is more akin to his artistic expression, for a gay couple and then have to deliver and setup said cake at the reception venue. But that debate is not relevant to this.

Big tech should not be forced to host content it disagrees with or does not support. It's the free market. I may disagree with them, but I respect their right to do so.

It’s a tough argument. 

As Sacks makes his case, I can hear the retort I’ve heard others make so many times: If you hate a platform so much, nothing’s stopping you from making a new one.

That argument feels flimsier than ever these days. When Trump got banned from Twitter, the argument was: So what? It’s Twitter. And Twitter is a private company. Jack Dorsey can boot whoever he wants. And anyway, Trump can go to Parler. 

But then Parler got kicked out of the Apple and Google app stores, so the argument became: well, you can still create a website. But then AWS stopped hosting Parler. As Sacks put it: “You shouldn’t have to build a new Internet to post a tweet.”

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

It’s a tough argument. 

As Sacks makes his case, I can hear the retort I’ve heard others make so many times: If you hate a platform so much, nothing’s stopping you from making a new one.

That argument feels flimsier than ever these days. When Trump got banned from Twitter, the argument was: So what? It’s Twitter. And Twitter is a private company. Jack Dorsey can boot whoever he wants. And anyway, Trump can go to Parler. 

But then Parler got kicked out of the Apple and Google app stores, so the argument became: well, you can still create a website. But then AWS stopped hosting Parler. As Sacks put it: “You shouldn’t have to build a new Internet to post a tweet.”

What the mouth-breathing fuckwad betas forget is they're all built on a public asset - that's why people with brains and critical thinking can understand the common carrier position. Of course these same bed-wetters were cheering Barry's "you didn't build that."

... plus they think bleks can't figure out he DMV much less worthy of SCOTUS.

Edited by Kyle

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

What the mouth-breathing fuckwad betas forget is they're all built on a public asset - that's why people with brains and critical thinking can understand the common carrier position. Of course these same bed-wetters were cheering Barry's "you didn't build that."

The beginning highlights why this issue is so fascinating to me. Typically progressive people want free market. Typically conservative want regulation. 

To bring it back to COVID, it’s like all the millennials that are scared to death and the boomers that are more willing to take on the risk. 

It's pretty damn telling that the esteemed public health expert working for me, you, and all of us Dr. Fiegl-Ding tweeted about the survey above...and only focused on how irresponsible the anti-vaxxers are - not one word about how crazy the vaxxers who will refuse to live life.

Further evidence that half most almost all of these public health experts don't want this pandemic to be over because it will mean their 15 minutes of fame is up.

Applause is the most powerful of drugs.

And lest we forget, Dr Fiegl Ding tweeted on March 2 that a surge in Texas was "inevitable."

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

The beginning highlights why this issue is so fascinating to me. Typically progressive people want free market. Typically conservative want regulation. 

To bring it back to COVID, it’s like all the millennials that are scared to death and the boomers that are more willing to take on the risk. 

Because the millennials are all stupid betas that cannot think for themselves. At least boomers were savvy enough to sell out. Fuck both or them! #genx

Yeah that’s not going to hold true, and if it does, cheap OU tickets for me

It's pretty damn telling that the esteemed public health expert working for me, you, and all of us Dr. Fiegl-Ding tweeted about the survey above...and only focused on how irresponsible the anti-vaxxers are - not one word about how crazy the vaxxers who will refuse to live life.

Further evidence that half most almost all of these public health experts don't want this pandemic to be over because it will mean their 15 minutes of fame is up.

Applause is the most powerful of drugs.

And lest we forget, Dr Fiegl Ding tweeted on March 2 that a surge in Texas was "inevitable."

Not sure why anyone listens to this nutritionist.  He is a running joke in the epi social media circles. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I’m going to accept for argument’s sake that every single one of those is as entrenched with a political party as FOX is. They’re not, it isn’t even remotely close except perhaps Huffpo, but that’s really another discussion. So let’s go with it.

You didn’t say social media platform. You said private company. You are the one who insisted a private company 100 percent integrated with a political party (YouTube is not and suggesting so is painfully ignorant) is dangerous and required action. But here you’re saying it’s okay for FOX because the big bad t sips - I mean, Democrats - have created a massive Burnt Orange Media Conspiracy - I mean, have stacked the liberal media.

So what you’re really saying is that it’s bad if you don’t like it. Which in that case, just be honest and say it instead of twisting yourself into a pretzel. It’ll save you a lot of time to catch up on the latest from Looch and maybe even squeeze in some intimacy with a lucky sheep.

This is hilarious.  you have to be willfully ignorant to believe this.  "perhaps Huffpo" too funny "perhaps all of them"

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

This is hilarious.  you have to be willfully ignorant to believe this.  "perhaps Huffpo" too funny "perhaps all of them"

I know. We just saw CBS willfully misrepresent the story around Florida vaccines and DeSantis. Anyone have any idea why they might’ve done that? Maybe because he’s the highest profile Republican nationally as of this moment? Do you think?

The vast majority of mainstream media journalists are political activists at this point. 

I mean that list included NPR which is literally supported financially by one party at this point. What a fucking clown. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Look at the jump in trust in media by Democrats in 2016...anything happen that year?

Even most indies recognize the media is broken.  There's not much difference these days between corporate media and the faculty of Oberlin College.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Come on. You're so Q. It's not like all those outlets refused to cover an FBI investigators into a presidential candidate's son about a corroborated story about China bribing the candidate and twit suppressing the story. I mean do you even Russian disinformation bruh?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away