Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I know. We just saw CBS willfully misrepresent the story around Florida vaccines and DeSantis. Anyone have any idea why they might’ve done that? Maybe because he’s the highest profile Republican nationally as of this moment? Do you think?

The vast majority of mainstream media journalists are political activists at this point. 

I mean that list included NPR which is literally supported financially by one party at this point. What a fucking clown. 

National Pravda Radio.

8 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I know. We just saw CBS willfully misrepresent the story around Florida vaccines and DeSantis. Anyone have any idea why they might’ve done that? Maybe because he’s the highest profile Republican nationally as of this moment? Do you think?

Mainstream media knows their audience, so there is every incentive to paint DeSantis as a monster and to not apologize even when Florida Democrats come to his defense and say the story was absolute garbage...because they know their audience.

I mean, how bad of a hatchet job must the story have been for Florida Democrats to come to the defense of a Republican...let alone a Trumpy Republican with national ambitions?

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

If the Texas numbers were Michigan numbers you wouldn’t be able to shut some posters here up about it. 

Well apparently they’re not that way and nevertheless we aren’t able to shut some posters up about the Michigan numbers either. 

Heres the Florida numbers. Spin them however it fits your political narrative.
https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2021/04/09/florida-adds-7121-coronavirus-cases-64-deaths-friday/

Politics aside, I had a great vacation in Florida these last few weeks and didnt once think I was getting the B1.1.7.

If you want to talk about maskless-pick on Georgia.

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/17/e2022376118

Learning loss due to school closures during the COVID-19 pandemic

Per Engzell, Arun Frey, and  Mark D. Verhagen

Abstract

Suspension of face-to-face instruction in schools during the COVID-19 pandemic has led to concerns about consequences for students’ learning. So far, data to study this question have been limited. Here we evaluate the effect of school closures on primary school performance using exceptionally rich data from The Netherlands (n ≈ 350,000). We use the fact that national examinations took place before and after lockdown and compare progress during this period to the same period in the 3 previous years. The Netherlands underwent only a relatively short lockdown (8 wk) and features an equitable system of school funding and the world’s highest rate of broadband access. Still, our results reveal a learning loss of about 3 percentile points or 0.08 standard deviations. The effect is equivalent to one-fifth of a school year, the same period that schools remained closed. Losses are up to 60% larger among students from less-educated homes, confirming worries about the uneven toll of the pandemic on children and families. Investigating mechanisms, we find that most of the effect reflects the cumulative impact of knowledge learned rather than transitory influences on the day of testing. Results remain robust when balancing on the estimated propensity of treatment and using maximum-entropy weights or with fixed-effects specifications that compare students within the same school and family. The findings imply that students made little or no progress while learning from home and suggest losses even larger in countries with weaker infrastructure or longer school closures.

14 hours ago, Heme Doc said:

Completely agree.  He’s a joke and a complete COVID doomer 

The guy apparently also has a phd in epidemiology so he at least isn’t completely out of his element but the doomsday crap has got to stop. The amount of egos in modern science and public health that cloud the issue with hysteria is astounding. Twitter for phd nerds is one of the worst things that could happen for public health. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

The guy apparently also has a phd in epidemiology so he at least isn’t completely out of his element but the doomsday crap has got to stop. The amount of egos in modern science and public health that cloud the issue with hysteria is astounding. Twitter for phd nerds is one of the worst things that could happen for public health. 

If Carl Sagan were alive today he would be horsewhipping Al Gore & Greta Thunberg.

1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

That seems to be in question ... he definitely fake a bunch of his credentials ... he seems to be a doctor along the lines of DrJill, the the world's greatest doctor and our Surgeon General.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

That seems to be in question ... he definitely fake a bunch of his credentials ... he seems to be a doctor along the lines of DrJill, the the world's greatest doctor and our Surgeon General.

I am not sure he fakes any of his credential, but he definitely swims far outside his lane. 

19 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Remember when y’all were convinced Covid would magically go away and no longer be a topic of interest in the media if Biden was elected?

Now we’re complaining about the opposite of that, right?

we'll let you know as soon as the media proclaims that these deaths, cases rising, variants causing lockdowns, are all on Biden's hands, right?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I’ll be waiting with bated breath for your read on the situation.

keep me posted.

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Remember when y’all were convinced Covid would magically go away and no longer be a topic of interest in the media if Biden was elected?

Remember when people acted like Abbott dropping mask mandate meant the world was ending? I’m sure you posted something to that effect. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Remember when people acted like Abbott dropping mask mandate meant the world was ending? I’m sure you posted something to that effect. 

Seems like the most proximal effect of Abbott’s actions, which were wrong headed imo, was getting more Texans to jump in line for shots.  Maybe he is just an evil public health strategy genius. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Kyle said:

Those videos didn't look like college kids on break, more like out of town broke old heads (millenials & gen x) burning through a stimmy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

i didn't, sorry. ran out of giveafucks on that front a few months ago.

but your gotcha attempt made me think of a fun game we should play...let's go back to the early days of this thread and pull up some gold. i bet there's some pretty awesome posts we could dredge up now that over 560,000 americans have died from covid.

28 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Congrats everybody.

Whenever I get too pleased about the current Covid situation in Texas I remind myself the numbers could be even better if not for that dirty Governor. 

Cool story bruh.

34 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Seems like the most proximal effect of Abbott’s actions, which were wrong headed imo, was getting more Texans to jump in line for shots.  Maybe he is just an evil public health strategy genius. 

The easier answer is it was already over, but if you wanna give the Gov credit for playing 4D chess that’s your prerogative. How many people out there really thought oh shit Walmart is going to have less masks now? I was gonna put off the shot but I’m going tomorrow to get it?

I do remember. I also remember places that were closed up for business suddenly relaxing indoor dining& bar restrictions after 1/20. Like DC, Minnesota, Illinois, etc

But now that there’s been 150k deaths in 2.5 months, we need to be following the science. And we seem to be doing the opposite. This disease is as deadly as its ever been. Why is Cali, MN, NY etc allowing fans into games?! They just killed meemaw

31 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i didn't, sorry. ran out of giveafucks on that front a few months ago.

but your gotcha attempt made me think of a fun game we should play...let's go back to the early days of this thread and pull up some gold. i bet there's some pretty awesome posts we could dredge up now that over 560,000 americans have died from covid.

That’s convenient.  

I’m sorry I got distracted. I was just helping with cpr on an unmasked person with covid at heb. What were we talking about?

Let’s be honest. One of the biggest freak outs ever on this site, or my Twitter honestly, was last month when Abbott dropped the mask mandate. And y’all were fucking way wrong.

Like not even close to right.

I won’t go to CR but I’m guessing it’s been forgotten. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I do remember. I also remember places that were closed up for business suddenly relaxing indoor dining& bar restrictions after 1/20. Like DC, Minnesota, Illinois, etc

But now that there’s been 150k deaths in 2.5 months, we need to be following the science. And we seem to be doing the opposite. This disease is as deadly as its ever been. Why is Cali, MN, NY etc allowing fans into games?! They just killed meemaw

I don’t even know what you’re trying to imply here, but it’s good to see you. You’d be in the Hall of Fame if we went back to mine for the gold in this thread’s early days.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away