Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 hours ago, Heme Doc said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/13/us/politics/johnson-johnson-vaccine-blood-clots-fda-cdc.html#click=https://t.co/NkjtHukwHQ

Oh.  Fuck.

This is colossal stupid and will get people killed.  6 cases in 7 million people

Meanwhile, I read that there are 900,000 Americans every year that develop a blood clot for one reason or another.  Out of 328 million people in the US.  One would think that the occurrence of a blood clot from a COVID vaccine would need to be higher than that statistic to pause a rollout of it.  But what do I know? 

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Meanwhile, I read that there are 900,000 Americans every year that develop a blood clot for one reason or another.  Out of 328 million people in the US.  One would think that the occurrence of a blood clot from a COVID vaccine would need to be higher than that statistic to pause a rollout of it.  But what do I know? 

"Experts" > science and data.

Playing in Cooperstown is a pretty big deal for a lot of 12 year old baseball teams.  And millions in revenue for the Park.  $1300 per player, due on March 1.  Non-refundable.

A lot of teams made the decision to play, knowing they may be subject to Covid guidelines.  Quarantine, masks, negative tests, reduced capacity, etc.  Its worth it for many of them.

Last week the tournament released their guidelines requiring immunization for anyone 12 and up.

https://www.cooperstowndreamspark.com/2021-season-update

In the best interest of our state, local community, and most importantly our employees, campers and their families, whose health and safety we are obligated to protect, Cooperstown Dreams Park has determined that it is essential to have immunization requirements and a reduced capacity to operate for the 2021 season.

Our plan is the only responsible course of action at this time to prevent the possibility of a camp shutdown and displacement of families due to COVID-19. This will ensure the necessary key elements of family participation, camper interaction and safe visits to the Cooperstown area.

All participants, coaches and campers 12 years and older must be immunized. Immunization requirements: COVID-19 (campers under 12 years of age are exempt, but must provide a negative test upon arrival), diphtheria, haemophilus influenza type b, hepatitis b, measles, mumps, rubella, poliomyelitis, tetanus and varicella a/k/a chickenpox. Cooperstown Dreams Park is hopeful that the vaccines will be available a minimum of twenty-one days prior to any registration date. Cooperstown Dreams Park will, if necessary modify registration date by registration date until a vaccine is available for 12 year olds and older.

Registered visiting family members 12 years and older are required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination to gain entry. Visitors 11 years and younger must provide proof of a negative test result upon arrival. Unregistered visitors will not be permitted entry into Cooperstown Dreams Park. This season, we anticipate hundreds of communities will have the opportunity to experience Cooperstown Dreams Park, the Cooperstown area and the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

This is the first step toward a full reopening in 2022. Our plan will require that all camp participants and visiting registered family members comply with the New York State Department of Health and CDC regulations and guidelines.

We appreciate your understanding and support as we navigate these ever changing times. Our staff is resilient and steadfast in its commitment to the 2021 season. Cooperstown Dreams Park will continue to plan and prepare the facility for the summer season.

We look forward to your arrival and welcoming you to Cooperstown this summer.

Cooperstown Dreams Park

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Playing in Cooperstown is a pretty big deal for a lot of 12 year old baseball teams.  And millions in revenue for the Park.  $1300 per player, due on March 1.  Non-refundable.

A lot of teams made the decision to play, knowing they may be subject to Covid guidelines.  Quarantine, masks, negative tests, reduced capacity, etc.  Its worth it for many of them.

Last week the tournament released their guidelines requiring immunization for anyone 12 and up.

https://www.cooperstowndreamspark.com/2021-season-update

umm, the vax for 12yo is not even emergency authorized, correct?  Maybe i missed a news cycle, but I thought it was just applied for by Pfizer with no real timetable for approval.  maybe they just really don't want to have the league this year and seeing if anyone will call their bluff.

16 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

umm, the vax for 12yo is not even emergency authorized, correct?  Maybe i missed a news cycle, but I thought it was just applied for by Pfizer with no real timetable for approval.  maybe they just really don't want to have the league this year and seeing if anyone will call their bluff.

Correct.  They are assuming that it will be available in time for them to do so.

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

Conservative memes suck- said by someone, most likely from CR.

I'm a fiscal, regulatory, and environmental conservative.  And I'm fucking hilarious.  

In fact, Reader's Digest is considering publishing two of my jokes.  

3 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

That's a pretty big assumption.

I think there's a good chance it will be available.  Just don't think there will be many full teams that will all have their children get vaccinated immediately to play in a baseball tournament.  Coaches, maybe the few refusing would get it in order to play in this.  ~10 kids per team with parents having their low risk kids get it immediately to play?  Your youth baseball crowd isn't going to go for this and is going to raise hell if refunds are not provided.  

Requiring vaccinations for adults is one thing.  Requiring for kids is another.

He's become addicted to the celebrity. I think he just says stupid shit to get on TV ... he knows his 15' is about up ... any time the guy talks they should just play the original 60 Minutes video where he tells everyone to not wear a mask and that cloth masks exacerbate the spread.

Fauci is a tyrant addicted to himself. Makes no sense
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I hope they put 75 masks on Fauci so he doesn't fuck this up. Just let Shaq and Charles be Shaq and Charles & the message will be great.

A big problem at least in my area is that one has to have an ID, sign-up online, and go to the vaccine site ... you know what huge barriers those present to some segments of the population (apparently).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Kyle said:

A big problem at least in my area is that one has to have an ID, sign-up online, and go to the vaccine site ... you know what huge barriers those present to some segments of the population (apparently).

to be fair,

- another person can sign them up for the vax and enter their data online for them

- another person can drive them to a vax site without signing an affidavit and be fearful of some legalese BS scaring them 

- getting vax curbside or in their car is an option.  For nursing home olds, the vax was brought to them and they were able to partake in their rooms without leaving their home.

- can freely accept a cold water while waiting :) 

No idea how this JnJ deal is going to play out.  Focus on the other two full steam ahead.  Open up the 12-15 yo with Pfizer (if the data looks good) and go from there.  Then once the dust settles and and we are sitting on a glut of vax in every mega site, pharmacy, supermarket and Microsoft store see what the death rate is.  At that point i am guessing it's going to approach zero for every man, women and tween that wanted to get vaxed. 

Should also start getting some more data on how the death rate/severe hospitalization is vs the variants, but let's not panic the world in the mean time.  

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

I don't see anyone on  that list of names that will convince some guy from Odessa to get a vaccine.....unless Hill and Lopez shows their tits!

This was my thinking as well.  Is nobody from NASCAR willing to do it?

And even though I've had my shots, I'd still be interested in said tits.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Ana or anyone - what is causing the immune response to platelet factor 4 in the J&J vaccine? Do we know why some heparin patients develop the same/similar syndrome?

Yeah, that's gonna be one for @Heme Doc to field. 

What's interesting to me is that this same reaction is being seen across two different adenovirus vector vaccines, one human and one chimp. Seems like we can reduce the potential cause to shared characteristics...which probably doesn't narrow the field too much.  There is also a gorilla adenovirus vector in development, and I think sputnik used different adenovirus vectors yet. Also I think a measles vector vaccine is in development. Seems at some point we should able to narrow down where this is coming from, but I'll hang up and listen to Heme's response.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, PantsTent said:

This was my thinking as well.  Is nobody from NASCAR willing to do it?

And even though I've had my shots, I'd still be interested in said tits.

Trump and Mel got theirs back in Jan before leaving the WH, right?  I don't think he told anyone about it until the end Feb at CPAC.  Is it known which one he got?  

“I would recommend it, and I would recommend it to a lot of people that don’t want to get it, and a lot of those people voted for me, frankly,” he said during a Fox News interview Tuesday night.

“We have our freedoms and we have to live by that, and I agree with that also,” he said. “But it is a great vaccine. It is a safe vaccine, and it is something that works.”

Maybe the bulk of his supporters had moved on to Newsmax at that point and missed the interview, but he would be the numero uno spokesperson to change minds of Republican men, who at one point it was ~50% said they would not get the vax.

Let me get this straight...If I DON'T get vaccinated I don't have to watch the Bills play? 

This would’ve been funny like two years ago but they’re pretty damn good now

Though if I recall, Josh Allen is passing on the vaccine, so they’ll have to make an expectation for him

This would’ve been funny like two years ago but they’re pretty damn good now

Though if I recall, Josh Allen is passing on the vaccine, so they’ll have to make an expectation for him

That’d be the most bills thing ever- losing their long sought after QB after his breakout year because he won’t get a vaccine. Ends up a patriot, wins 3 Super Bowls
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

That’d be the most bills thing ever- losing their long sought after QB after his breakout year because he won’t get a vaccine. Ends up a patriot, wins 3 Super Bowls

Well NFL  released memo today requiring vaccine for Tier 1 and 2 employees, I'm guessing Tier 1 is players?

Well NFL  released memo today requiring vaccine for Tier 1 and 2 employees, I'm guessing Tier 1 is players?

Seems like the Player Union would have something to say about this. I wonder if there was any language in the CBA about vaccines.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away