Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

The entire mask debate is stupid. If a private business wants you to wear one you should. If they don’t require it then wear it or not. While it’s true if you’ve been vaccinated it’s probably not necessary, it’s not like everyone is walking around with a big V on their forehead. How are other people supposed to know. 

What is annoying is how political the whole thing has gotten. And I know exactly who to blame for that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Keep in mind, Austin peers into 2 other counties besides Travis.  And several other cities peer into Travis County.  And I'm not even talking yet about ETJ

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

No, it’s not just them. There’s absolutely an organic granola bag of nutbars. But among Dem voters, it’s around 4% who say they’ll never get vaxxed....among Republicans voters, it’s around 50%. That’s a big fucking number, and it will have an effect.

That leaves out the 40-50% who don't vote. Obv a high % of them are going to lean Pub/Muh Freedomz. However, (as MSM has covered) there are significant amount of Latinos, African-Americans, holistic types, different religions, the apathetic, who aren't getting it. Ancedotally, I know people who are somewhat apolitical & don't have any anti-vax views yet they aren't in a rush to get vaccinated. They look at it like the flu shot. There is a decent chunk of people who don't follow politics in this country nor care about Democrats or Republicans. I kind of envy them. 

• Fuck You 1

43 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

The entire mask debate is stupid. If a private business wants you to wear one you should. If they don’t require it then wear it or not. While it’s true if you’ve been vaccinated it’s probably not necessary, it’s not like everyone is walking around with a big V on their forehead. How are other people supposed to know. 

What is annoying is how political the whole thing has gotten. And I know exactly who to blame for that.

Democrat Biden warns against rushing out coronavirus vaccine, says Trump cannot be trusted

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

43 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Democrat Biden warns against rushing out coronavirus vaccine, says Trump cannot be trusted

And he was entirely correct. The vaccine shouldn’t have been rushed out. And it wasn’t. And trump cannot be trusted. And as the American people voted last November, he wasn’t.

Take the loss pussy.

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Agreed completely. I didn’t say totes the lefts narrative bc I don’t believe you can be intellectually honest and do that (or the rights narrative- the world doesn’t work that way), and I don’t disagree with your push back on that term. I don’t think the person who used that term likely thought it out at all. 

look at us, being all agreeable and shit 🤣

17 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Your gifs will not save you. Four more years of misery and wailing and gnashing of teeth. At least. Probably longer. It will be lovely to watch. 

Self awareness score = 0.0

Fat, dumb and stupid is no way to go through life.  Enjoy the teachers lounge when you actually get back to the classroom.

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

how will you ever know?  we've got a booster coming up per pfizer.  masks until boosters are no longer needed?

agree on the political thing and I know zactly who to blame as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Okie State said:

Fair enough. I think that's what people should do in that situation. And by requirements I guess I mean if they have a sign encouraging me to wear it I will.

We'll see how long it drags out. I'm fully against masks forever and do not agree that it should be accepted as a new normal. It's one thing if our culture adopts wearing a mask if you're not feeling well and need to be out in public. It's completely different to wear them anytime you are around other people.

I haven’t had a cold since January of 20.  Neither had the rest of my family, and with 2 little ones we had someone sick at least every other week. And like many other plants around here, we were deemed essential, so I’ve been at work masked up around others all this time. My family may continue the masks wearing indoors just for that reason. 

Edited by UT_OB1

30 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

I haven’t had a cold since January of 20.  Neither had the rest of my family, and with 2 little ones we had someone sick at least every other week. And like many other plants around here, we were deemed essential, so I’ve been at work masked up around others all this time. My family may continue the masks wearing indoors just for that reason. 

We’ve had the same experience. Been nice, but I’m not going to miss the mask, when the time comes. 

8 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Looks like they retracted some of thier measures.

Good for them. I’ve seen quotes from certain police chiefs there indiciating they wouldn’t follow the orders too, so I guess that’s positive.

This guy above is actually a pretty decent follow. The ICU capacity is actually a large driver for what’s going on up there (at least that’s their justification). Universal healthcare for the win!

China managed the Plague so much better, they get to watch shitty American movies before us.  Win China?

Universal’s action film Fast and Furious 9 is making a big bet on the world’s largest film market as the film is heading to the Chinese mainland on May 21, more than one month earlier than its North American release on June 25. 

According to Chinese film critics, the release shows that Hollywood is paying significant attention to the Chinese film market and has a lack of confidence in the US market, which is still under the shadow of the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Almost all Hollywood imported blockbusters are staring at the ‘big meat’ that is the Chinese film market since the North American film market is still recovering slowly,” said Xiao Fujiyama, a film critic based in Shanghai, noting that although Godzilla vs. King Kong set a new box office record for the pandemic period in the North American market, it earned three times as much in the Chinese mainland.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202104/1221370.shtml

Until more of the mouth breathers get vaccinated, we should wear a mask. The point, as always, has been more about protecting others especially  the vulnerable. By many indications you can still get covid after being vaccinated and potentially be contagious. The vaccination is more about avoiding major complications and death from covid.

13 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I repped you bc I agree with just about everything you wrote on here but would push back a bit about the mask thing. We should all, when fully vaxed, stop wearing them as we are basically bulletproof. I get not wanting to get others wound up and some businesses requiring it, and I will throw a mask on too in places I know it will cause consternation not to do so,  but continuing to comply with insanity indefinitely isn’t helpful to our country. You are vaxed. You should get to Libe like normal. It should encourage others to do the same. Morons who don’t get vaxed can FAFO. We shouldn’t curtail our freedoms to those dimwits not vaxing. I’d say Memorial Day based upon how things are going should be about the end of this shit. Won’t happen that quick but it damn well better not be around well into the summer. 

I mean, I'm not sitting here saying I'm wearing one because I think it's necessary for myself having been fully vaccinated, or because I think we should all just keep wearing them, or whatever. Less than half of all adults in TX have received a dose and less than 30 percent have received both. There are more unvaccinated people out there than vaccinated. Knowing that, I'd rather keep the mask on in HEB. The only think making a scene as a mask karen does is embolden people to start tossing them, when most people should still be wearing them.  Agree, obviously, that they aren't going to be necessary once we really have widespread proliferation of the vaccines but that moment isn't now.

And it barely even registers on the inconvenience scale. It's monumentally more inconvenient when, say, the self checkout is closed and I have to wait in line behind someone with groceries for a family of five. To me, the whole curtailing my freedom bit just doesn't register. At this point it's something I'd rather be doing as part of the common good.

40 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I mean, I'm not sitting here saying I'm wearing one because I think it's necessary for myself having been fully vaccinated, or because I think we should all just keep wearing them, or whatever. Less than half of all adults in TX have received a dose and less than 30 percent have received both. There are more unvaccinated people out there than vaccinated. Knowing that, I'd rather keep the mask on in HEB. The only think making a scene as a mask karen does is embolden people to start tossing them, when most people should still be wearing them.  Agree, obviously, that they aren't going to be necessary once we really have widespread proliferation of the vaccines but that moment isn't now.

And it barely even registers on the inconvenience scale. It's monumentally more inconvenient when, say, the self checkout is closed and I have to wait in line behind someone with groceries for a family of five. To me, the whole curtailing my freedom bit just doesn't register. At this point it's something I'd rather be doing as part of the common good.

Agree 100%. To the consumer, wearing a mask is not a big deal for short shopping trips. It comes across as whiny when someone complains especially when they incorrectly refer to freedom or the Constitution. I do understand that it can be a pain for someone wearing them at work all day but you also become quickly accustomed to it.

44 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Thus why I said Memorial Day would likely be the earliest when you say- hey- everyone who wanted it has had a chance to get it by now. Everyone who chose not to get it can fuck right off. 
We aren’t there yet- but we are really damn close. 

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Agree 100%. To the consumer, wearing a mask is not a big deal for short shopping trips. It comes across as whiny when someone complains especially when they incorrectly refer to freedom or the Constitution. I do understand that it can be a pain for someone wearing them at work all day but you also become quickly accustomed to it.

So- you cool with wearing one forever?  
And you would be wearing one not because it’s helpful or necessary but rather because some dipshits won’t get vaccinated and because some Karen’s can’t perform the most cursory bit of risk analysis ever?  
Because I’m sure as shit not. Life needs to get back to normal and quickly. We’ve been given an amazing gift in these vaccines. We need to use it. 

30 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So- you cool with wearing one forever?  
And you would be wearing one not because it’s helpful or necessary but rather because some dipshits won’t get vaccinated and because some Karen’s can’t perform the most cursory bit of risk analysis ever?  
Because I’m sure as shit not. Life needs to get back to normal and quickly. We’ve been given an amazing gift in these vaccines. We need to use it. 

No. And that is exactly what I didn’t write so stop with the exaggeration.  I’m saying people should wear a mask today.  And we constantly evaluate where we are, and decide at that point.  I don’t see masks as indefinite.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

No. And that is exactly what I didn’t write so stop with the exaggeration.  I’m saying people should wear a mask today.  And we constantly evaluate where we are, and decide at that point.  I don’t see masks as indefinite.

I wasn’t exaggerating- I was asking for clarification. I think there’s a disturbingly large subset of our population (around 10%) who are cool with the idea of masks forever/way past the point where we should be ditching them as a society when taking into account simple risk calculus. 
Ive talked to and seen posted many people who say- not one death. If that’s the standard we can never be normal again. 

Well let’s just work on the morons who refuse to get the vaccine first. Then we’ll circle back afterwards (once we’ve gotten everyone vaxed) and deal with morons who want to stay fully haz mat suited up or locked down after that. Deal?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I wasn’t exaggerating- I was asking for clarification. I think there’s a disturbingly large subset of our population (around 10%) who are cool with the idea of masks forever/way past the point where we should be ditching them as a society when taking into account simple risk calculus. 
Ive talked to and seen posted many people who say- not one death. If that’s the standard we can never be normal again. 

If someone wants to wear a mask in public for the rest of their life, so what. If a business wants to require it for the remainder of their business life, so what.  They’re not hurting anyone. 

Now that we’re past the social stigma of wearing masks, I fully expect we will see masks during future flu seasons. Not a bad idea if you have compromised immunity.

• Like 2

The historical social stigma around masks is partially around the practical component of hiding identity.  I have had a few internal WTF moments when I first walked into a bank or convenience store with a mask on.  Especially last summer with a hat and sunglasses on as well.  

I would imagine there will eventually be a backlash against masks in those situations.  Perfect fodder for a woke vs. law and order freak out.

Thus why I said Memorial Day would likely be the earliest when you say- hey- everyone who wanted it has had a chance to get it by now. Everyone who chose not to get it can fuck right off. 
We aren’t there yet- but we are really damn close. 

Okay, but you made a point to reply saying you disagree with what I said about masks. Nowhere did I say anything about wanting them around indefinitely. So I’m not sure what you’re pushing back on at this point?

If someone wants to wear a mask in public for the rest of their life, so what. If a business wants to require it for the remainder of their business life, so what.  They’re not hurting anyone. 
Now that we’re past the social stigma of wearing masks, I fully expect we will see masks during future flu seasons. Not a bad idea if you have compromised immunity.

I agree with this. I’m sure (at least some) people will be more mindful of transmission in future flu seasons and wearing masks will help slow the spread down. That’s a good thing and perfectly reasonable. I think the Howard Hughes types post-vaccination will be the outliers...though I’m sure there will be some.

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Okay, but you made a point to reply saying you disagree with what I said about masks. Nowhere did I say anything about wanting them around indefinitely. So I’m not sure what you’re pushing back on at this point?

Clarification on if that would be an ongoing thing. 

50 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Well let’s just work on the morons who refuse to get the vaccine first. Then we’ll circle back afterwards (once we’ve gotten everyone vaxed) and deal with morons who want to stay fully haz mat suited up or locked down after that. Deal?

I got my shot the second they told me I could with the county and signed my wife up as soon as there was openings. I also give stink eye to anyone that says they aren’t getting the thing. There’s nothing I can do to fix stupid and I’m not going to support lining people up at gunpoint to do the shot if that’s what you mean- but I sure as shit don’t think we ought to change life one bit to deal with those that decide they aren’t getting the shot. 
I suspect we will get enough shots in arms to more or less irradiate this thing and receive herd immunity if I had to guess how this all shakes out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I got my shot the second they told me I could with the county and signed my wife up as soon as there was openings. I also give stink eye to anyone that says they aren’t getting the thing. There’s nothing I can do to fix stupid and I’m not going to support lining people up at gunpoint to do the shot if that’s what you mean- but I sure as shit don’t think we ought to change life one bit to deal with those that decide they aren’t getting the shot. 
I suspect we will get enough shots in arms to more or less irradiate this thing and receive herd immunity if I had to guess how this all shakes out. 

Two routes to herd immunity-- vaccination or infection.  I'll choose the former, but those that avoid the vaccine, are choosing the latter.  

Either way, we're going to be back to business as usual-- at least in the more "open" states like Texas-- by Memorial Day.

• Hook 'Em 1

It is weird seeing a sign out in front of banks that says, "MASKS REQUIRED" 

If you go back in time and show that to people 15 months ago, they'd think you insane.  

I have to admit, the hat/sunglasses/mask look that I basically sport every weekend to go shopping...nobody thinks twice about it but I still feel sinister in that ensemble.  Like GRhorn within 100 yards of an elementary school.  

16 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

If you move everyone to that end, the island will tilt, thus flinging lava towards Grenada.

In the interest of saving lives, we cannot possibly have you enter the boat with others that are vaccinated. You must stay on the island with the volcano erupting. To save lives.

• Haha 2

On 4/17/2021 at 11:00 AM, Brisketexan said:

How bonkers is it that we have a clear path to ending this thing (get enough folks vaccinated), and we’re already approaching a stall because 50% of people who stand on one side of the political aisle won’t get a vaccine? Is that bonkers enough for you?

I think that the “after you are vaccinated, still wear a full NBC suit” approach is madness....but that madness wont prolong the pandemic. The “I won’t get a shot because it’s all a hoax and I won’t let Bill Gates and George Soros control me” approach is madness that’s going to keep the pandemic chugging along. I’m most angry at the approach that is going to hurt us the most. And it’s that one.

It is not 50%.  It is 30% of Republicans saying they will not get the shot.  And that number is dropping.  It is also blacks and essential workers. Vaccine hesitancy is dropping.  And I expect that trend to continue.

https://khn.org/news/article/covid-vaccine-hesitancy-drops-among-americans-new-kff-survey-shows/

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

It is not 50%.  It is 30% of Republicans saying they will not get the shot.  And that number is dropping.  It is also blacks and essential workers. Vaccine hesitancy is dropping.  And I expect that trend to continue.

https://khn.org/news/article/covid-vaccine-hesitancy-drops-among-americans-new-kff-survey-shows/

Depends on who you cite - https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/documents/monmouthpoll_us_041421.pdf/  is more recent and shows it at 43%. It's definitely going down but is a problem. 

The thing is, Trump could help with this tremendously but refuses to do so and the irony is this vaccine is one of the biggest successes of his presidency. Doesn't make any dang sense.

5 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Depends on who you cite - https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/documents/monmouthpoll_us_041421.pdf/  is more recent and shows it at 43%. It's definitely going down but is a problem. 

The thing is, Trump could help with this tremendously but refuses to do so and the irony is this vaccine is one of the biggest successes of his presidency. Doesn't make any dang sense.

huh? Trump already said in an interview that people should take the vaccine

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

huh? Trump already said in an interview that people should take the vaccine

a simple google search shows multiple examples of where he supports people taking the vaccine, but that doesn't fit the narrative so I'm not surprised that it wasn't well covered by major news media.

Just now, Enchubben said:

a simple google search shows multiple examples of where he supports people taking the vaccine, but that doesn't fit the narrative so I'm not surprised that it wasn't well covered by major news media.

The problem is he's been a bit of an anti-vaxxer in the past. Also, he didn't exactly publicize that the got the vaccine while still in the White House. If he had made a big deal of that at that time then I don't think we see the numbers that we do today with Republican hesitancy.

• Hook 'Em 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away