Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

5 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Why you continue to engage with that moron is baffling.

It's Surly.  If you opt out of engaging with morons, you'll just end up sending PMs to yourself repeatedly.  

And you'd probably be wrong about that, too.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Too much money to be made denying insurance to 'genetically predisposed'.

It's almost like the medical "insurance" industry is nothing more than profiting off healthy people while denying care that's uncommon or unprofitable. And doesn't give a flying fuck about health outcomes if it affects their quarterly earnings. 

1 hour ago, Hate said:

f5125157b4a837594259b86bffe0543d.jpg

But in all seriousness, didn't he just tell a reporter in an interview the other day that if they were within 6 feet that despite both being fully vaccinated he would be wearing a mask and expecting the reporter to do so as well?

• Hook 'Em 7

But in all seriousness, didn't he just tell a reporter in an interview the other day that if they were within 6 feet that despite both being fully vaccinated he would be wearing a mask and expecting the reporter to do so as well?

Yeah, but orange man. Check mate.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Biden probably put his mask on as he walked outside.

So many notifications about this thread today. It looks like it’s all about masks? Here’s a fascinating idea. You can think both of these things. Our leaders at the beginning, specifically Trump, should’ve pushed masks more at the beginning.

Also, our leaders now should push masks less, for the vaccinated. How cool would it have been for Biden to walk out with no mask for his pseudo state of the union and say hey guess what? Everybody here is vaccinated in this big room. Y’all take your masks off and let’s talk business. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

SIAP

Great quote here. 

“The CDC is a science-based organization,” Fauci said recently. “They don’t want to make any guidelines unless they look at the data and the data backs it up.” OK. Show us the data that justify masking kids. No such data exist.

Last week, Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) and Rep. Jason Smith (R-Mo.) sent a letter to the CDC demanding “information on how the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention came to its conclusion that children 2 years and older should wear face masks.” Lee, Smith and 30 other signatories also point out that masking in much of Europe begins around age 11 or 12.

• Fuck You 1

15 hours ago, DaysOff said:

This baba yaga clown has never been in the military, never traveled to certain countries, never had children (fingers crossed), and probably vacations in the Brazos Valley. Lots of mandatory vaccines out there.

Your mother vaccinated you. This one will be mandatory for many aspects of civilized society. Your ilk can play in your own sandbox forever. It's not worth arguing with these types anymore.

Go fuck your own face.  Military mandatory steps cover every aspect of the recruits life.  To compare that to civilians is stupid and you know it.  Certain countries are fine to make their own requirements.  When I was in Vietnam and HK a few years back, no such rules applied, but when I was in Bangalor, they did and I did.  

This is a virus that primarily attacks the very old.  Over 80, it has a death rate over 7%.  For children, it drops to .0016%.  For those in between, it's minimal.  If I have to get it to fly, then I will get it.  I have no issues with the vax itself.  I have had Covid as did the family.  

What I take umbrage with is this constant messaging that nothing changes if you get it or this stupid idea that we have to inoculate hundreds of millions of people to protect a select few thousands that have adverse reactions to vaccines in general.  

11 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

SIAP

Great quote here. 

“The CDC is a science-based organization,” Fauci said recently. “They don’t want to make any guidelines unless they look at the data and the data backs it up.” OK. Show us the data that justify masking kids. No such data exist.

Last week, Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) and Rep. Jason Smith (R-Mo.) sent a letter to the CDC demanding “information on how the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention came to its conclusion that children 2 years and older should wear face masks.” Lee, Smith and 30 other signatories also point out that masking in much of Europe begins around age 11 or 12.

lmao are you fucking kidding me? Wearing a facemask is "cruel"? Some very fair and balanced reporting from newscorp once again, definitely not just outrage-fuel for culture warriors

• Hook 'Em 2

this stupid idea that we have to inoculate hundreds of millions of people to protect a select few thousands that have adverse reactions to vaccines in general.  

We do. That’s simple math. Is not just people that can’t have vaccines. There are immunocompromised people and of course the general fact that vaccines aren’t 100 percent effective. Those numbers start to add up.

You’d be more intellectually honest if you just came out and said you don’t give a fuck about the common good. It’s a sad way to go through life but at least you’d be honest.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Over 80, it has a death rate over 7%.  For children, it drops to .0016%.  For those in between, it's minimal.

What is the rate of death AND serious bodily injury (that is, people who survive, but have serious and/or long-lasting bodily harm)?  Because THAT'S the relevant measure.  Polio didn't kill that many....but it crippled a fuckload, and we rightly considered that in our public health and vaccine approach.

The current information shows us that the rate of hospitalization, critical care, serious bodily injury, and death, per the population as a whole (NOT just elderly -- "long COVID" is very much a phenomenon of younger adults), is much, much higher than we've experienced with any communicable illness in a long-ass time.  So, our public health strategy can and should take that into account.

We KNOW how to functionally eliminate the threat of illnesses like this.  We've known it for decades.  It requires a high vaccination rate.  We should be smart, and not stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Go fuck your own face.  Military mandatory steps cover every aspect of the recruits life.  To compare that to civilians is stupid and you know it.  Certain countries are fine to make their own requirements.  When I was in Vietnam and HK a few years back, no such rules applied, but when I was in Bangalor, they did and I did.  

This is a virus that primarily attacks the very old.  Over 80, it has a death rate over 7%.  For children, it drops to .0016%.  For those in between, it's minimal.  If I have to get it to fly, then I will get it.  I have no issues with the vax itself.  I have had Covid as did the family.  

What I take umbrage with is this constant messaging that nothing changes if you get it or this stupid idea that we have to inoculate hundreds of millions of people to protect a select few thousands that have adverse reactions to vaccines in general.  

With your vast amount of medical training, scientific research and experience can you guarantee it won't mutate?

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

lmao are you fucking kidding me? Wearing a facemask is "cruel"? Some very fair and balanced reporting from newscorp once again, definitely not just outrage-fuel for culture warriors

Why are you getting so emotional? 

What word would you use to describe rules that say kids have to wear masks outside at summer camp based on little to no scientific backing? 

As time passes it’s becoming more clear to me that this kind of crap is just about maintaining control.  

I’m just glad we live in Texas where this regard level “guidance” is largely ignored. 

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Captainant said:

The reaction certain people have had to others wearing masks is absolutely mind boggling. 

Just now, wildcat09 said:

The reaction certain people have had to others wearing masks is absolutely mind boggling. 

The article wasn’t about other people wearing masks. It was about CDC still publishing guidelines suggesting kids wear them in ridiculous situations. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

We do. That’s simple math. Is not just people that can’t have vaccines. There are immunocompromised people and of course the general fact that vaccines aren’t 100 percent effective. Those numbers start to add up.

You’d be more intellectually honest if you just came out and said you don’t give a fuck about the common good. It’s a sad way to go through life but at least you’d be honest.

It's almost as if these people have had this condition their entire lives and we can isolate and focus attention directly to them - as they are compromised, how may other variants and illnesses are we ignoring?  Not comparing this to the flu, but what about that?  For the compromised, it can be a death sentence.  

It's almost as if these people have had this condition their entire lives and we can isolate and focus attention directly to them - as they are compromised, how may other variants and illnesses are we ignoring?  Not comparing this to the flu, but what about that?  For the compromised, it can be a death sentence.  

You know what we oughta do? Round them up and throw them all in quarantine together for the rest of their lives, so you don't have to be the tiniest bit inconvenienced by their existence. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The current information shows us that the rate of hospitalization, critical care, serious bodily injury, and death, per the population as a whole (NOT just elderly -- "long COVID" is very much a phenomenon of younger adults), is much, much higher than we've experienced with any communicable illness in a long-ass time.  So, our public health strategy can and should take that into account.

I don't think that we have a good grasp on post acute sequelae of covid right now, and especially not real longer term consequences within a context of other acute infections. There is important work taking place to really understand the phenomena, but it's going to be a while until we get solid data and more than the anecdotes or limited early studies. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

You know what we oughta do? Round them up and throw them all in quarantine together for the rest of their lives, so you don't have to be the tiniest bit inconvenienced by their existence. 

We could also make them wear little pieces of flair, so they are easily recognizable from a distance. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Anastasis said:

I don't think that we have a good grasp on post acute sequelae of covid right now, and especially not real longer term consequences within a context of other acute infections. There is important work taking place to really understand the phenomena, but it's going to be a while until we get solid data and more than the anecdotes or limited early studies. 

Good news is we have lots of volunteers for long term studies.  

14 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

With your vast amount of medical training, scientific research and experience can you guarantee it won't mutate?

Are you a doctor?  You an at least read then on earlier, similar corona viruses.  Variants don't seem to be as much as a concern as the basic way the virus attacks people is the same, and the vast majority of vaccinated and naturally immune people will recognize this and fight it off with minor to no symptoms. The human body tends to always beat viruses such as this over time and make it less and less deadly.  Not more.  

My guess is each wave this summer, to this winter, to next summer, will be less and less. IFR will get lower and lower, and deaths trend to that of normal respiratory illness seasons within the next 6 months.

We protect them from a lot of diseases by requiring vaccinations and aiming for a high enough percentage of the population to be immune so as to prevent the disease from actively circulating in the community. Covid-19 is severe enough, spreads easily enough, and has readily available, highly effective vaccines. It is a perfect candidate for this type of treatment. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Ah yes, Fascism in true form.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Anecdotal here, but a couple pulmonologist colleagues at my chiropractic clinic say they’d estimate that about 20% of patients hospitalized with covid have longer term pulmonary issues/oxygen requirements. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

We protect them from a lot of diseases by requiring vaccinations and aiming for a high enough percentage of the population to be immune so as to prevent the disease from actively circulating in the community. Covid-19 is severe enough, spreads easily enough, and has readily available, highly effective vaccines. It is a perfect candidate for this type of treatment. 

This is all conjectured nonsense.  

As they are already compromised - are they more susceptible to COVID that the flu?  Or the common cold?  

What were they doing before the vax?

What have they done their entire lives during flu seasons?

Or summer and winter colds?

Do we have any actual data on their mortality rates by region pre and post vax as a % of the total population?

Do we have data on their behavioral changes pre and post COVID?

You are just taking the miniscule subset of a few thousand people spread across thousands of miles and using it as a justification to force compliance of hundreds of millions of people.

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

100% agreed.  If we step back and look at it from altitude, we can remember that this remains the basic bucket of knowledge: this remains a novel illness, about which we still don't know a lot with a high degree of certainty, BUT we have seen certain undeniable trends that are problematic (more people dying from this than a comparable illness (flu) and more people requiring critical care and having a longer and difficult recovery).  We don't know the exact data, but the evidence thus far points to "a significant rate of serious bodily injury" as a material risk.

And in weighing risk and risk mitigation strategies, that's important information.  We should not treat this as casually as we treat the flu, because it has demonstrated that it's DEFINITELY more dangerous than the flu when it comes to mortality, and it's almost certainly worse than the flu when it comes to serious bodily injury.

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Are you a doctor?  You an at least read then on earlier, similar corona viruses.  Variants don't seem to be as much as a concern as the basic way the virus attacks people is the same, and the vast majority of vaccinated and naturally immune people will recognize this and fight it off with minor to no symptoms. The human body tends to always beat viruses such as this over time and make it less and less deadly.  Not more.  

My guess is each wave this summer, to this winter, to next summer, will be less and less. IFR will get lower and lower, and deaths trend to that of normal respiratory illness seasons within the next 6 months.

Yes......that seems likely.....if we can get our collective immunity rate high enough.  Which requires shots in arms.  We can ABSOLUTELY achieve that goal (turning this into another background respiratory illness that sickens and kills some each year, but at a rate around that of the flu), which I think is a good and reasonable goal.  But getting there is going to be like dragging a wagon with no wheels across the finish line, because of the ridiculously high rate of people who will not get a shot.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes......that seems likely.....if we can get our collective immunity rate high enough.

Fauci and/or Biden need to come out and say that all mandates are ending on June 1st. Vaccines are available to everyone, and if you choose to not get the vaccine for whatever reason, it's a choice you live with

• Hook 'Em 1

When we were kids, we were outside playing in dirt/ponds and exposed to God knows what. My mom (who was an RN) was extremely hesitant to get us penicillin if we had a cold.

Now kids are inside. Hand sanitizer is everywhere. We "Z-pack" when people sneeze. Now masks outdoors. We are creating a generation of kids who will fuck around and find out when the next Superbug hits.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

When we were kids, we were outside playing in dirt/ponds and exposed to God knows what. My mom (who was an RN) was extremely hesitant to get us penicillin if we had a cold.

Now kids are inside. Hand sanitizer is everywhere. We "Z-pack" when people sneeze. Now masks outdoors. We are creating a generation of kids who will fuck around and find out when the next Superbug hits.

Coupled with a sedentary lifestyle and horrible diets - what could go wrong...

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Fauci and/or Biden need to come out and say that all mandates are ending on June 1st. Vaccines are available to everyone, and if you choose to not get the vaccine for whatever reason, it's a choice you live with

BUT IT'S NOT A CHOICE "YOU" LIVE WITH.  IT'S A CHOICE THAT THE REST OF SOCIETY LIVES WITH.   IT'S A MOTHERFUCKING COMMUNICABLE DISEASE, MEANING THAT IT DOESN'T JUST AFFECT ONE PERSON.

Jesus tapdancing Christ.  That's the whole fucking problem here.  "Fuck you, I'll take my risks" is not an accurate statement, because by refusing to be vaccinated and ensuring that there remains a large reservoir of continuing infection, you are imposing risks on the rest of society.

"Fuck you, I'll build my house out of gasoline-soaked hay bales if I want to" sounds fucking great, because choice and freedom and such.....unless you're the poor fuckers who live next door, waiting for the giant conflagration that spreads to your house.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away