Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

30 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Here's the Reader's Digest version for you. I'll go slow since you are obviously regarded.

@MNLonghornFUKM on post #57060, posted Twitter link to the CDC woman's concern of "IMPENDING DOOM"

@DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt  on post #57065 responded with "remember when 'BODIES IN TREES OMGZZZ!' was the go-to retort when people predicted 300K dead"

I responded on post #57072 Or our friends at the NYT: 2.2 million people in the United States could die.

Got it? Good. 

angry will ferrell GIF

you keep bringing up the NYT (disingenuously)...why? i'm talking about people's prediction here, on this site. you and the brain worms crew mocked them. and you were dead fucking wrong. now you're pointing and laughing at others....because you are a complete fool.

11 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

trumpkins absolutely suck at analogies 

I'm not the one making the stupid argument that the moral obligation to take this shot revolves around forced compliance of hundreds of millions for the supposed protection of a few thousand people living with and making behavioral choices for a problem they have had their whole lives.

But you be you...

15 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Not getting the shot, it's the logic that you MUST get the shot to save a fractional percentage of the population that have medical issues that preclude them from taking vaccines of any kind (including COVID).

Every time you drive somewhere that isn't absolutely critical, something for pleasure like going to a movie or visiting a friend, you are putting other people at risk. You could make a mistake during your leisurely drive and inadvertently cause the death of an innocent person that was on their way to work or some critical chore.

You're missing the other side of the analysis: the cost. Getting the shot costs you nothing. In fact, it benefits you by providing additional protection from illness. It is objectively a net benefit to you or at worse a neutral. Asking someone to not drive at all on the other hand costs them a lot and costs society at large (inability to work, engage in economic activity, take of children, etc.).  You not willing to suffer the most minor of inconveniences to help others isn't about freedom. It is a celebration of selfishness. And it is pathetic. You are pathetic. 

Edited by Dahobbs

Just now, Dahobbs said:

You're missing the other side of the analysis: the cost. Getting the shot costs you nothing. In fact, it benefits you by providing additional protection from illness. It is objectively a net benefit to you or a most neutral. Asking someone to not drive at all on the other hand costs them a lot and costs society at large (inability to work, engage in economic activity, take of children, etc.).  You not willing to suffer the most minor of inconveniences to help others isn't about freedom. It is a celebration of selfishness. And it is pathetic. You are pathetic. 

We back to meemaw and peepaw again or the bubble babies?  lol

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I'm not the one making the stupid argument that the moral obligation to take this shot revolves around forced compliance of hundreds of millions for the supposed protection of a few thousand people living with and making behavioral choices for a problem they have had their whole lives.

But you be you...

Hey, it's your God given right to be a selfish bitch, so you be you, too. 

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

We back to meemaw and peepaw again or the bubble babies?  lol

Seriously, my four old has a better understanding of society and fairness than you. As do my 6-month old babies. Hell, my fucking dogs probably do too. You are one dumb, uncaring motherfucker. Seriously, you're a psychopath.  But a really dumb one. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Dahobbs said:

Seriously, my four old has a better understanding of society and fairness than you. As do my 6-month old babies. Hell, my fucking dogs probably do too. You are one dumb, uncaring motherfucker. Seriously, your a psychopath.  But a really dumb one. 

Got another one....anyone else?  lol, 

200.gif

Suggesting that I have a moral obligation to get the vaccine because without it there is a slim chance that I would pass the virus on to someone that can't get the vaccine for whatever reason is akin to me saying that you should never unnecessarily drive, because each time you do you're putting others at risk of serious injury or death.

It's unprecedented and illogical.

I think you’re misinterpreting what I said, which was that, yes, as you said, everyone, or nearly everyone has to get vaccinated to protect those that can’t, those who are immunocompromised, etc. That is a fact and is not debatable. Those people are not protected if that doesn’t happen.

Where you’re going off the rails with your victim complex is that I didn’t even go so far as to say you’re morally obligated to do anything with regard to the vaccine. I just noted that, with the context above set in stone, you’re throwing out a lot of nonsense to try to rationalize the underlying message, which boils down to “I can’t and shouldn’t be bothered to take even the most minimal steps to protect others.” You could probably avoid self owns like the ludicrous driving comparison if you’d just be honest about that.

29 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I'm not sure how you mean. If vaccinating young children would cause more harm to them than good, then it isn't in the interest of the "greater good" that they get the vaccine. It is a net negative. Or perhaps you think others have been arguing that we should expose a few to potential harm in order to prevent more harm to society? I suppose it is possible that vaccinations of children, even if it causes a net harm to the children, may produce the overall more beneficial result to society. But that seems highly speculative and unlikely given available data (children don't get sick and don't pass it easily). At any rate, I've never believed the analysis should be so simple. Any medical treatment has to also have a net benefit for the intended patient, not just society as whole. Vaccinations for adults easily meets that threshold. With children it is uncertain, so holding off is the correct and ethical course of conduct. 

I agree with your post.  I just think its hypocritical.  ITT, you've mocked adults who don't wish to get an EUA vaccine.  Not because you are worried about that patient's health, because that's not the issue here.  Their health is their choice.  Its how it will affect everyone else and the greater good.  You've argued that is the reason it should be required.

But with children, you imply that a vaccine that has gone through the same EUA testing process could actually be harmful to the patient.  And even though these 10's of millions of kids can spread Covid and keep it around to mutate, that a child getting the vaccine "would be inappropriate right now."

I understand Covid is not a risk for children.  I don't understand how someone can imply that we should trust the FDA when it comes to adult vaccine but not for children, or how someone can stress that we have to reach herd immunity, yet agree that roughly 20% of the population should not get the vaccine.  

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Hook 'Em 2

I think it would be amusing if hayden or immamac made it so Cheese couldn't post gifs. 

Cheeseweasel is at least funny. Does he just resort to trolling with the gifs sometimes? Sure. But you can’t deny that he’s got a good sense of humor.

You’ve seen the rest of these guys try to be funny, right? He’s kind of a unicorn and I’d rather not lose that.

It's actually amusing watching people get so worked up about people who don't want the vaccine who are still alive and healthy after not taking any vaccines(assuming they are anti-vaxxers) their entire lives.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Cheeseweasel is at least funny. Does he just resort to trolling with the gifs sometimes? Sure. But you can’t deny that he’s got a good sense of humor.

You’ve seen the rest of these guys try to be funny, right? He’s kind of a unicorn and I’d rather not lose that.

I Love You GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Not getting the shot, it's the logic that you MUST get the shot to save a fractional percentage of the population that have medical issues that preclude them from taking vaccines of any kind (including COVID).

Every time you drive somewhere that isn't absolutely critical, something for pleasure like going to a movie or visiting a friend, you are putting other people at risk. You could make a mistake during your leisurely drive and inadvertently cause the death of an innocent person that was on their way to work or some critical chore.

You do realize, don't you, that when you're driving to the store you owe everyone around you a duty of care not to run them over with your car? If you violated that duty you would most likely be subject to both criminal and civil sanction.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I agree with your post.  I just think its hypocritical.  ITT, you've mocked adults who don't wish to get an EUA vaccine.  Not because you are worried about that patient's health, because that's not the issue here.  Their health is their choice.  Its how it will affect everyone else and the greater good.  You've argued that is the reason it should be required.

But with children, you imply that a vaccine that has gone through the same EUA testing process could actually be harmful to the patient.  And even though these 10's of millions of kids can spread Covid and keep it around to mutate, that a child getting the vaccine "would be inappropriate right now."

I understand Covid is not a risk for children.  I don't understand how someone can imply that we should trust the FDA when it comes to adult vaccine but not for children, or how someone can stress that we have to reach herd immunity, yet agree that roughly 20% of the population should not get the vaccine.  

The FDA hasn't approved the vaccine for children generally. I've never suggested that anyone should take a health risk for someone else. I'm not sure where you're seeing that. If the vaccine is beneficial to a population, it should be administered to that population. I think the freedom to make health choices starts to end when it impacts others. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Oh I'm not disputing this. I would just like to see if he can be as humorous without gifs. It's like if you took away Lobo's ability to quote movie lines in his posts. 

But we wouldn't want to do that either because Anastasis will think we're censoring people. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

It's actually amusing watching people get so worked up about people who don't want the vaccine who are still alive and healthy after not taking any vaccines(assuming they are anti-vaxxers) their entire lives.

How many of these people do you think actually exist in our society? You think there's tons of people who've never gotten a single vaccine in their entire lives?

Edited by mdmost

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

How many of these people do you think actually exist in our society? You think there's tons of people who've never gotten a single vaccine in their entire lives?

I agree anti vaxxers are a very small tiny percentage.

Full disclosure: 99.9% of my post are tongue-in-cheek. 

Regarding this thread, I find it interesting. I'm vaxxed. I try to convince everyone I know to get vaxxed. I've rewarded my employees who get vaxxed with a paid day off, plus a bonus. I've masked everywhere I've gone, including my office, as soon as the CDC recommended it. I believe these are the correct things to mitigate the spread and get us to this point...

However...

Now that we are here, we are straining at gnats. Seeing Biden and a Congress socially distanced but still wearing masks is theater and I'm going to mock it. Talking about vaccinating 10 year olds seems like overkill but they are your kids, you do what is best for your family, but why make others feel as if they don't have the same considerations? 

I'll try to post less gifs. I find them funny, @mdmost thinks they are too much. He's a good poster, so I'll take his advice. 

I'd gladly buy most of you a beer and we'd have a great time. I'll do better in trying to make Surly less surly with less gifs. PEACE OUT AND FUCK AGGY

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Regarding this thread, I find it interesting. I'm vaxxed. I try to convince everyone I know to get vaxxed. I've rewarded my employees who get vaxxed with a paid day off, plus a bonus. I've masked everywhere I've gone, including my office, as soon as the CDC recommended it. I believe these are the correct things to mitigate the spread and get us to this point...

However...

Now that we are here, we are straining at gnats. Seeing Biden and a Congress socially distanced but still wearing masks is theater and I'm going to mock it. Talking about vaccinating 10 year olds seems like overkill but they are your kids, you do what is best for your family, but why make others feel as if they don't have the same considerations? 

I'll try to post less gifs. I find them funny, @mdmost thinks they are too much. He's a good poster, so I'll take his advice. 

I'd gladly buy most of you a beer and we'd have a great time. I'll do better in trying to make Surly less surly with less gifs. PEACE OUT AND FUCK AGGY

No, you do what the fuck you want, regardless of what "good posters" say. And I'm not a good poster. I shitpost as much as the next guy. 

As far as vaccinating my kids, I'm going to do it. I have them get the flu vaccine every year even though their chances of getting it are small. It's one thing that can be done to ensure that if they get Covid, they don't have as bad of a time. We see people saying, well we don't know the long term effects of the vaccine. Well, you also don't know the long term effects of kids and adults getting Covid. Just like I'd feel like a dumb shit if my kid got the flu when I could've done something to prevent it, I would also feel like a dumb shit if my kid got Covid and I could've prevented it. Plus, we want to go places that might require vaccines like Disneyland. Do I need to worry about my kids dying from Covid? Not really. But I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

“I can’t and shouldn’t be bothered to take even the most minimal steps to protect others.”

Never said that - my reference is to the statements that this vaccine MUST be mandatory.   I don't have a problem with a push for vaccination against this any more than I have a problem with pushes for vaccination against the seasonal flu.

What I mean is that this push to have absolutely everyone vaccinated, regardless of their individual health and whether or not they already have natural immunity, defies reason. It's over the top. Particularly when they're trying to withhold normal life in exchange for getting vaccinated.

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

You do realize, don't you, that when you're driving to the store you owe everyone around you a duty of care not to run them over with your car? If you violated that duty you would most likely be subject to both criminal and civil sanction.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611ca482535b403699fcd

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

On Opening Day....we're not in last place yet. That was the point. It's a sellout because we don't suck completely yet. 

Nope:

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Even at 0-0 they start at the bottom alphabetically, by location or club name.

3 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

However...

FIFY - fewer

Guest Lobo
18 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Oh I'm not disputing this. I would just like to see if he can be as humorous without gifs. It's like if you took away Lobo's ability to quote movie lines in his posts. 

But we wouldn't want to do that either because Anastasis will think we're censoring people. 

Hey, I just do that to dumb it down for posters like you ;) .  Some of my best work is riffing, quote-free.  But yeah, all the rep I got for funny Trump shit just wrote itself and didn't need any quotes except Trump's.  But as he's faded as has the rep and I do find myself posting movie lines again.  I feel like my muse has betrayed me.    

But hey, we all need a crutch on here.  Seinfeld quotes, .gifs, being in a constantly shitty mood, etc. 

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Hey, I just do that to dumb it down for posters like you ;) .  Some of my best work is riffing, quote-free.  But yeah, all the rep I got for funny Trump shit just wrote itself and didn't need any quotes except Trump's.  But as he's faded as has the rep and I do find myself posting movie lines again.  I feel like my muse has betrayed me.    

But hey, we all need a crutch on here.  Seinfeld quotes, .gifs, being in a constantly shitty mood, etc. 

99XC.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

On Opening Day....we're not in last place yet. That was the point. It's a sellout because we don't suck completely yet. 

No, no... the Rangers always suck. Mid-season? Suck. Post-season? Suck. Off-season? Suck.

You know how Oklahoma keeps Texas from sliding into the Gulf due to sucking so much? Well, Newton's Laws and all that, equal and opposite reaction... the Rangers suck on Oklahoma right back.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

5 0-0 teams means no one is in last place as there are no tiebreakers yet as no one has played anything yet. 

You must learn to see the larger picture.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

NOV19-We-Are-Laughing-Eyman.gif

39 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

No, no... the Rangers always suck. Mid-season? Suck. Post-season? Suck. Off-season? Suck.

You know how Oklahoma keeps Texas from sliding into the Gulf due to sucking so much? Well, Newton's Laws and all that, equal and opposite reaction... the Rangers suck on Oklahoma right back.

So the Rangers are like your mom? Always sucking? Happy Mother's Day!

Edited by mdmost

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away