Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I'm good with waiting, thanks anyway.  

I'd prefer the mRNA shot over the vector vaccine for reasons other than regimen, to be honest. We are leaning towards sitting on the side line until at least August with my 12 year old unless. 

19 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I'd prefer the mRNA shot over the vector vaccine for reasons other than regimen, to be honest. We are leaning towards sitting on the side line until at least August with my 12 year old unless. 

Unless what???

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Well, mine, and (at time of publication in 2003)... 
- Dr. Amand Goldman, Emeritus Professor of Pediatrics, UTMB
- Dr. Elizabeth Schmalstieg, Asst. Professor of Neurology, UTMB
- Dr. Daniel H. Freeman, Professor of Biostatics, UTMB
- Dr. Daniel Goldman, President of Expert Health Data Programming
- Dr. Franck Schmalstieg, Professor of Pediatrics at UTMB

And from what I've gathered, in the last 17 years, most medical experts have come to agree - Ken Burns also made a big deal out of the misdiagnosis in his history of the Roosevelts series.

Anyway, maybe... or maybe we all just slept at a Holiday Inn last night.

Here's the study which no one will read because it's got small print and a lot of terms no one understands:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/9048628_What_was_the_Cause_of_Franklin_Delano_Roosevelt's_Paralytic_Illness

So, FDR could still get a boner and bang his mistress at Warm Springs, Georgia.

Edited by Armybrat

2 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

what's the vaccination rate around those parts? Convince me of the sanity and common sense in Aggy land

Back in February and March when I was signing up as many people as I could for the shots, College Station was one of the few places not in West Texas where appointments were readily available. 

That probably tells you what you need to know. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I'm not overly concerned with which vaccine and when they get it, for me the timing/quantity of the regimen is more important.  We're good with waiting.

37 minutes ago, Deej said:

Back in February and March when I was signing up as many people as I could for the shots, College Station was one of the few places not in West Texas where appointments were readily available. 

Hempstead isn’t  College Station.  And their demographics aren’t close to the same.  

Hempstead probably has a plurality of blacks.  College Station certainly doesn’t.  

Edited by Johnny Sack

Guest Lobo
32 minutes ago, Bookman said:

Yeah my dad is like that. He's adamantly opposed to having to get two shots, but he's cool with one.

my mom was the same way.  She literally goes to the Walgreen's in her neighborhood in Chicago probably twice a week.  Between meds for her and my sister, snacks, quit smoking gums/patches, etc.  But she'll be goddamned if one of those trips will last an extra 7 minutes so she can get her second Moderna vaccine.  She was holding out for JnJ, but it just didn't open up in her area.  In the end, she and my sister both got 2 modernas each, some peanut M&M's, some nail polish, and made it home just in time to watch every dramedy NBC ever produced in the last 15 years. 

But at least the bullshit narrative my cousin tried to put over her about the evils of the vaccine wore off eventually and my mom did right by herself, her at-risk daughter, and her grandkids who she longed to visit.  My mother, who thinks it's nice that the government gives people a chance to get rich by offering them the Illinois State Lottery, was suddenly evil and complicit with global elites in offering free Moderna shots through her local drug store that she's been going into weekly since I was in my 20's.  

15 hours ago, Deej said:

they aren't risk adverse like you and that's OK.

• Fuck You 3

35 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Agree 100% with the article.  The messaging has been and remains piss-poor.  It's been one of those "scientifically correct in the most conservative sense, but shitty in terms of communicating an understandable and successful risk-reward message" things.  

Because we couldn't categorically RULE OUT fomite transmission.....even though the evidence showed it as highly unlikely....we continued to treat it as a high risk.  Yes, the CDC was correct -- we couldn't say with 100% certainty that fomite transmission presents zero risk.  But come the fuck on.....if the data shows that it's next to nothing, then let's look at how humans respond to risks and say "it's a very low risk, and should not drive public health activities -- of course wash your hands, and it's always a good idea to regularly clean high-touch surfaces."

I've voiced this concern with respect to our lack of messaging as to an ultimate goal.  We will not "eradicate" COVID.  So, KNOWING that, what's a reasonable goal?  To me, it's getting it to a point where it spreads, and has a similar negative effect in terms of hospitalization and death, as a serious flu.  If we can knock COVID back to a point where it kills 50k or so a year, we call that a win, and we move on with life (with a new regimen of vaccines, of course).  And the messaging around vaccines could have wrapped that in -- if we can get to X% of people vaccinated, we can live with COVID as a background disease, like so many others, and go on with our lives.

But we're still not doing that.  I am pleased with the new admin's aggressive approach on vaccines, but the messaging still sucks.  If you don't offer people hope, and a tangible light at the end of the tunnel, they'll say "fuck it."

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

we couldn't say with 100% certainty

Like I've said before, this is why you don't allow Scientists to deliver messages. I'm sure there is a .00000000001% chance a black hole will open up and swallow us all, but the public doesn't need to know that or plan for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Agree 100% with the article.  The messaging has been and remains piss-poor.  It's been one of those "scientifically correct in the most conservative sense, but shitty in terms of communicating an understandable and successful risk-reward message" things.  

Because we couldn't categorically RULE OUT fomite transmission.....even though the evidence showed it as highly unlikely....we continued to treat it as a high risk.  Yes, the CDC was correct -- we couldn't say with 100% certainty that fomite transmission presents zero risk.  But come the fuck on.....if the data shows that it's next to nothing, then let's look at how humans respond to risks and say "it's a very low risk, and should not drive public health activities -- of course wash your hands, and it's always a good idea to regularly clean high-touch surfaces."

I've voiced this concern with respect to our lack of messaging as to an ultimate goal.  We will not "eradicate" COVID.  So, KNOWING that, what's a reasonable goal?  To me, it's getting it to a point where it spreads, and has a similar negative effect in terms of hospitalization and death, as a serious flu.  If we can knock COVID back to a point where it kills 50k or so a year, we call that a win, and we move on with life (with a new regimen of vaccines, of course).  And the messaging around vaccines could have wrapped that in -- if we can get to X% of people vaccinated, we can live with COVID as a background disease, like so many others, and go on with our lives.

But we're still not doing that.  I am pleased with the new admin's aggressive approach on vaccines, but the messaging still sucks.  If you don't offer people hope, and a tangible light at the end of the tunnel, they'll say "fuck it."

wait, @Cheeseweasel you upvoted this? isn't that almost verbatim the message from the NYT article that had you so triggered last week?

apologies in advance if i have you mixed up with someone else in the brainworms crew.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I don't know.  I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that in two months if enough people get vaccinated, my fully vaccinated self might be able to attend a small family-only gathering for the 4th of July.

That's the carrot on the stick that has to be motivating everyone to get the shot.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

I don't know.  I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that in two months if enough people get vaccinated, my fully vaccinated self might be able to attend a small family-only gathering for the 4th of July.
That's the carrot on the stick that has to be motivating everyone to get the shot.

Outdoors
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Right on. Covid is not going away. We know this because it can infect other species. So Covid is here to stay, like many other infectious diseases. So let’s figure out what is reasonable and do away with the bullshit.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away