Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

I don't know.  I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that in two months if enough people get vaccinated, my fully vaccinated self might be able to attend a small family-only gathering for the 4th of July.

That's the carrot on the stick that has to be motivating everyone to get the shot.

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Outdoors

Masked and 6 feet apart.

And to pile on the absolute shitty CDC messaging further...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/cdc-exaggerating-risk-outdoor-covid-135958591.html

Today they said that less than 10% of transmission occurs outdoors.  Thanks for that misleading stat assholes!  Outdoor transmission probably accounts for less than 0.0001% of transmission.  Maybe you’d like to tell us next how less than 50,000 swimmers die each year from shark attacks!

1 hour ago, Heme Doc said:

Maybe you’d like to tell us next how less than 50,000 swimmers die each year from shark attacks!

1 hour ago, WBT said:

I heard it was actually less than a million that die from shark attacks!

*fewer /surly

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Message Board User said:

And in today's edition of why the entire CDC should be catapulted into the stratosphere, I give you the fucking director of the CDC.

12 hours ago, Heme Doc said:

And to pile on the absolute shitty CDC messaging further...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/cdc-exaggerating-risk-outdoor-covid-135958591.html

Today they said that less than 10% of transmission occurs outdoors.  Thanks for that misleading stat assholes!  Outdoor transmission probably accounts for less than 0.0001% of transmission.  Maybe you’d like to tell us next how less than 50,000 swimmers die each year from shark attacks!

I know most of the posters here are disregarding the regarded cdc outdoors guidance, but this column is well written summation with plenty of links explaining why it should be. Hopefully the rest of the country where these fools are following this stuff can get it together. 

Edited by GRHorn

12 hours ago, Heme Doc said:

Today they said that less than 10% of transmission occurs outdoors.  Thanks for that misleading stat assholes!  Outdoor transmission probably accounts for less than 0.0001% of transmission.

0.0001% is less than 10% so technically they are correct.

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 1

For the first time since February of last year, Mrs. Brat & I are going to meet our Happy Hour group of 8-10 people at an outdoor venue in north Austin. All are vaxxed and most likely will not be masked at the the table because they won’t be able to keep their yaps shut.

I dread what 15 months of pent up gossip & get off my lawn bitching is going to sound like. Please pray for me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

For the first time since February of last year, Mrs. Brat & I are going to meet our Happy Hour group of 8-10 people at an outdoor venue in north Austin. All are vaxxed and most likely will not be masked at the the table because they won’t be able to keep their yaps shut.

I dread what 15 months of pent up gossip & get off my lawn bitching is going to sound like. Please pray for me.

When do the morning coffee meetups start again?

Guest Lobo
7 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Not a coffee bunch, they are retired state bureaucrats (lawyers, accountants, managers).... therefore boozers.

This sounds excruciating.  I mean, glad that you and the Mrs. are getting back out there.  You're more interesting than any of those guys, but to have sit and feign interest in a retired accountant talk about how he spent the last 15 months under a pandemic?  Holy shit.  "Uh bartender, do you have that new brand of vodka, Kevorkian Silver?"  

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

This sounds excruciating.  I mean, glad that you and the Mrs. are getting back out there.  You're more interesting than any of those guys, but to have sit and feign interest in a retired accountant talk about how he spent the last 15 months under a pandemic?  Holy shit.  "Uh bartender, do you have that new brand of vodka, Kevorkian Silver?"  

One guy (who shows up once in a while) is always interesting though. He was an Air Force JAG before he worked for the state, so he has a lots of good stories - one was about Governor Bill Clinton and a Titan missile silo explosion in Arkansas. He was also very good friends with Manfred Rommel when he worked at NATO headquarters in Brussels.

Guest Lobo

Okay, now I want to go.  My father would get up out of his grave to hear first-hand stories about Manfred Rommel.  Wow.  

Guest Lobo

Gee, I can't imagine why your doting wife of all these decades isn't fascinated with you regaling her with tales of a bunch of misanthropic, middle-aged misogynist assholes spending a pandemic refusing to grow as human beings.  Actually, I think we're all more spiritually fulfilled than we were this time in 2020...but hey---I'm no son of Rommel.  

Guest Lobo

Why are they dummies?  I mean, I agree somewhat in that.......I don't think I like a single sack of un-American shit in that room, but why are they dummies?  

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Great question.

35 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Why are they dummies?  I mean, I agree somewhat in that.......I don't think I like a single sack of un-American shit in that room, but why are they dummies?  

All vaccinated people sitting around, spread out, wearing masks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo
23 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

All vaccinated people sitting around, spread out, wearing masks. 

the median age in that room is over 70 years of age.  They all look decently thin but all of them have high blood pressure and lived stress-filled lives.  Doesn't hurt for them to wear mask given their age and overall health .  Who gives a shit? 

What I am more worried about is how the six of those people fuck this country up every time they wake up.  If they can help get people, who are going to spending lots of time around elderly or vulnerable populations, to mask up AND more important---get vaccinated---so be it. 

Lots of encouraging trends:

7-day average of daily new cases nationwide is down to 36,832, back to June 2020 levels.

Even better, 7-day average of new deaths down to 586. First time below 600 since April 2020. Several states have recently had days without a single death recorded.

April hotspots really cooling off: MI 8K/day --> 2K/day. PA 5K --> 2.2K. NJ 4.6K --> 950. MD 1.6K --> 500.

• Hook 'Em 5

8 hours ago, Armybrat said:

One guy (who shows up once in a while) is always interesting though. He was an Air Force JAG before he worked for the state, so he has a lots of good stories - one was about Governor Bill Clinton and a Titan missile silo explosion in Arkansas.

Horrible accident. Falling socket led to a Broken Arrow. We got lucky. Good documentary on it from PBS' American Experience -  https://archive.org/details/CommandAndControl

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Horrible accident. Falling socket led to a Broken Arrow. We got lucky. Good documentary on it from PBS' American Experience -  https://archive.org/details/CommandAndControl

That broken arrow is especially wild - the socket poked a hole in the missile's skin and ruptured the tank holding its hypergolic fuel. Next thing you know, you've got a nuclear potato gun on your hands and it YEETs the second stage and warhead into the air, which also explode. Somehow there was no release of radioactive material and no fizzle fission

My wife’s grandmother died about 2 weeks ago. They are doing funeral soon. Unfortunately, my FIL and Mil can’t make it. Even though they both have the vaccine, his immune system is compromised. However, my mid 30s very health bil who is vaccinated is going.  And they are freaking out because he might catch covid. I’m not sure it will ever be safe enough again for some people 

Edited by UT_OB1

18 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

My wife’s grandmother died about 2 weeks ago. They are doing funeral soon. Unfortunately, my FIL and Mil can’t make it. Even though they both have the vaccine, his immune system is compromised. However, my mid 30s very health bil who is vaccinated is going.  And they are freaking out because he might catch covid. I’m not sure it will ever be safe enough again for some people 

So, wait, your young, healthy, vaccinated BIL is scared of catching covid?

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away