Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Why not go back further and share all of the posts mocking this virus as nothing more than the flu?

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

90% of your posts are tweets designed to stoke division.

Jagged Little Pill GIF by Alanis Morissette

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Another fun experiment would be to just go back in this thread to March 2021 and revisit all the death and destruction that removing the mask Mandate in Texas was going to cause.  

Indeed. I'll admit that I was one of the people predicting doom and gloom. I was wrong and I'm glad I was wrong. 

28 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Another fun experiment would be to just go back in this thread to March 2021 and revisit all the death and destruction that removing the mask Mandate in Texas was going to cause.  

The best part about that time was all the people who already wanted to lie and cut in line for the vaccine, acted like they were completely justified to do so because of Abbott.

23 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Why not go back further and share all of the posts mocking this virus as nothing more than the flu?

A lot of this is due to a misunderstanding of the influenza virus. If people had not been exposed to the influenza virus as children, the death tolls from the flu would be crazy high. A large part of what makes this Coronavirus dangerous is its novelty. There is a reason why it is so deadly to the elderly and immunocompromised and people with underlying disease.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, aggie08 said:

To a certain population, changing your opinion as more information becomes available makes you an idiot. Digging your feet in and never altering from your original position, regardless of new data, is definitely what real men do.

um, username does NOT check out heh

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Any chance Houston gets back to Level 4 in our lifetime?  They are still at Level 1 - Stay Home (Severe Threat)

https://covid-harriscounty.hub.arcgis.com/

2021-05-17_12-36-31.thumb.png.880c9cbaca92eb50dc223748cc72def3.png

I agree, based on their indicators page they should be at least at level 2 or maybe even level 3. Positivity rate is the only thing that's "red", and as discussed previously, isn't really a useful indicator for COVID intensity compared to hospitalizations and to a lesser extent, new cases.

https://covid-harriscounty.hub.arcgis.com/#indicator-summary-table

12 minutes ago, mycox said:

TMC hospitalization numbers show Houston is back to September numbers, which is also equivalent to early June numbers.

And TMC's positivity rate is less than half what Harris County is showing in their numbers, so not sure where the disconnect it.

2021-05-17_13-11-30.thumb.png.bedebeb548ac7b2f35ab4baca64d25e9.png

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Reminder that for every Ricky Schroeder there’s some dude like this.

16 hours ago, LABEVO said:

i dont get the anti-mask cult. no one is infringing on your rights and when mandates go-away who cares if people continue to wear mask.

how does it impact you. i am definitely going to wear a mask in certain situation permanently. people are fucking gross and the mask provides some level of protection.  

Is that you? 

I realize it's easy to make fun of adults who will or won't wear a mask or care about whether others do or don't.

My 3 year old has been wearing a mask for 8 hours a day at preschool for almost a year now. I don't see the mask requirement ending any time soon at her pre school. I worry that prolonged mask wearing will hamper her and other kids linguistic and social developments. Are they learning language just as well? Are they learning to read each others' non-verbal cues just as well? Will they have higher rates of social anxiety? I don't know the answer to these questions and I doubt there are any long term studies on them. But I do hope that the requirement to mask kids in schools and daycares disappears relatively soon as long as our negative health outcomes continue to go trend downward.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I don't like wearing a mask.  It makes my glasses fog up.  Some kinds cause me to breath with some mild difficulty.  When I speak to others with a mask on, sometimes I have trouble making myself understood, and vice versa.  Since I'm vaxxed, and CDC says I don't need to wear one, I'll just go ahead and not wear one, thanks.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Jester King on saturday evening looked like Mardi Gras 2019. Only like 5-10% masked, including staff. I find this particularly remarkable since breweries are definitely bought into the progressive culture, although JK is nearly 100% outdoors. Beer and pizza were still fantastic. 

Edited by Bottlecap

31 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Wasted opportunity:

Yeah, that ship done sailed. Probably forever. Hard to imagine a time where wearing a mask won't be viewed as freedom inhibiting, virtue signaling bullshit from 40% of the country. And choosing not to wear one when you have a cough viewed as selfish, reckless, heartless behavior by another 40%. Great job, America.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CDAK said:

I realize it's easy to make fun of adults who will or won't wear a mask or care about whether others do or don't.

My 3 year old has been wearing a mask for 8 hours a day at preschool for almost a year now. I don't see the mask requirement ending any time soon at her pre school. I worry that prolonged mask wearing will hamper her and other kids linguistic and social developments. Are they learning language just as well? Are they learning to read each others' non-verbal cues just as well? Will they have higher rates of social anxiety? I don't know the answer to these questions and I doubt there are any long term studies on them. But I do hope that the requirement to mask kids in schools and daycares disappears relatively soon as long as our negative health outcomes continue to go trend downward.

your 3 old will spend 90+% of her time communicating with other human beings through a screen, unfortunately.*

*but i do share your concern regarding stunted interpersonal communication...sadly i just think they have a ton of other stuff working against them there that's much worse.

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

your 3 old will spend 90+% of her time communicating with other human beings through a screen, unfortunately.*

*but i do share your concern regarding stunted interpersonal communication...sadly i just think they have a ton of other stuff working against them there that's much worse.

Not everywhere. I’m sure my red school district will be balls to the wall next fall. 

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

That's probably true about the amount of comms via a screen. But language skills and the ability to read non-verbal facial cues is important (maybe just as important) when communicating via a screen for video comms.

1 hour ago, Bottlecap said:

Jester King on saturday evening looked like Mardi Gras 2019. Only like 5-10% masked, including staff. I find this particularly remarkable since breweries are definitely bought into the progressive culture, although JK is nearly 100% outdoors. Beer and pizza were still fantastic. 

JK has been pretty vigilant the few times that I have been over there.  Surprise that they dropped their measures so quickly, but not shocked. 

18 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Isn't that what you want? What is the complaint here?

Teacher's Unions have done fuck all the past year to get kids back in the classroom.

"When you're being run out of town, get out in front and call it a parade"

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo

I think it's where the fat kids of stupid people attend compulsory education sessions?  

I should know, I live inside one. 

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

You really do just like to bitch about everything. Post covid is going to be really hard for you. 

🤣

Considering my habits didn't change much during covid, "post-covid" is a breeze.  As I posted last week, covid is over except for those who don't want it to be over.

And even you must recognize the absurdity of the teachers unions now attempting to work to get kids back in the classroom 5 days a week.

8 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

What the fuck is a red school district?

It’s a bunch of rednecks on the school board (not really). But we’ve been in person from day one. Have dropped the mask mandate for kids. I don’t see any restrictions next fall. 

• Fuck You 1

35 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Isn't that what you want? What is the complaint here?

28 minutes ago, Captainant said:

That he's got one less thing he can complain about, I guess?

Can’t we laugh at the headline? They’re “mounting a campaign” like they’re fighting an uphill battle against something or somebody. But they were the roadblock. 🤡 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Guest Lobo
3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

It’s a bunch of rednecks on the school board (not really). But we’ve been in person from day one. Have dropped the mask mandate for kids. I don’t see any restrictions next fall. 

except on parental critical thinking, right?  

18 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

There will be restrictions on evolution and anything that has to do with penises and vaginas.

Wrong! Evolution will be taught. As a theory no more or less valid than riding a T-Rex to work 6000 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away