Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Guest Lobo

What kinda mileage your T-Rex get?  

I wore a mask for a period of time this weekend with my daughter despite me being vaccinated.  Whether I like it or not, her school still requires a mask to be worn by all students.  So to continue to show her that it's not so bad to wear one and the school year is almost over, in solidarity, I wore one with her everywhere we went this weekend.  She only whines about it about 1/3rd as much as GRhorn and PilotsError.  Of course some asshole in Dripping Springs mocked me in front of her.  I told her what my dad used to tell me as a kid...don't ever fear the dark...but be weary of those that cannot see the light.  

Considering my habits didn't change much during covid, "post-covid" is a breeze.  As I posted last week, covid is over except for those who don't want it to be over.
And even you must recognize the absurdity of the teachers unions now attempting to work to get kids back in the classroom 5 days a week.

Being socially isolated because no one wants to be your friend doesn't really count though...

It's like Vic Mackey giving up banging skinny chicks for lent.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

57 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What kinda mileage your T-Rex get?  

I wore a mask for a period of time this weekend with my daughter despite me being vaccinated.  Whether I like it or not, her school still requires a mask to be worn by all students.  So to continue to show her that it's not so bad to wear one and the school year is almost over, in solidarity, I wore one with her everywhere we went this weekend.  She only whines about it about 1/3rd as much as GRhorn and PilotsError.  Of course some asshole in Dripping Springs mocked me in front of her.  I told her what my dad used to tell me as a kid...don't ever fear the dark...but be weary of those that cannot see the light.  

Edited by GRHorn
  • Fuck You 1

Guest Lobo

Quite appropriate.  But it's 2021 in America.  What we'll instead do is burn all of our masks and be totally unprepared just like we were 15 months ago with regard to PPE.  We'll also burn a bunch of books 'bout queer shit like science, math, and anything by Alex Gino.  And then to be sure, we'll burn a bunch of other shit using the excess gas all those idiots poured into tupperware containers in SEC country last week. 

I feel like sometimes we're at the start of "A Canticle for Leibowitz"...we're torching knowledge as fast as we can because it doesn't fit our spiritual compass.  We all give each other shit on this site but we take for granted, this is comprised overwhelmingly of highly educated middle-aged people with access to massive amounts of information.  What's happening around the rest of this nation, both virtually and in person...is very, very dangerous.   I no longer fear the dark, my new worry is those that cannot see the light.  

Jos A Banks doesn’t believe in science I found out on Sunday. Mask requirement from the people working there. Even if fully vaxed?  Yes, even if fully vaxed. Alrighty then. 
crowd in the Astros game that same day was 95% unmasked it looked like. 
HEB can fuck right off with requiring them as well, though some say they don’t. 
gas station clerk was unmasked. We talked about it and he was so excited. I felt happy for him for sure. Maybe someday the plexiglass will also come down. 
I’m a little surprised by how many people were obviously wearing them based upon CDC guidance as I’ve seen usage for from seemingly 70 or 80% to less than 20% seemingly overnight. 
I won’t be shopping at any stores in about a week that still require a mask. I guess I’m stuck with it on an airplane for the foreseeable future but beyond that I’m not indulging any pointless mandates. 
If you want to wear a mask, or don’t want to get the Vax or whatever I don’t give a shit either way- no skin off my nose. Feel free living like a vagina or like a moron, either way makes no difference to me, as long as it doesn’t have anything to do with me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I don’t really see the point in “punishing” retail establishments. Retail and restaurants have been brutalized by the pandemic. They’ve had to make some hard no win decisions throughout this thing. 

It’s not about punishing. I’m fully vaccinated. Most people that are going to get Vax already are. It’s completely pointless to wear a mask now. I’m fixing to get rid of my mask forever. Thus, I won’t be shopping anywhere that requires a mask. Because I won’t have one. Because I don’t need one. Because science. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bookman said:

I'm sure you'll be missed.

Don’t care one way or another. My actions are never about making someone else pay or changing their behavior. They are merely about

doing what makes me happy. You do you and that’s cool and I will do me and as long as neither of our behaviors affects the other I’m fine. 

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Don’t care one way or another. My actions are never about making someone else pay or changing their behavior. They are merely about

doing what makes me happy.

How do you get enjoyment out of it?

7 minutes ago, Bookman said:

You didn’t ask me, but if I have a choice I’ll favor places that don’t force me to wear unnecessary piece of apparel over my face. It’ll be much more enjoyable to stroll through Walmart sans mask than go to HEB until they change their position. I imagine I’m not the only one. And I’m used to wearing one all day at my holistic chiropractic/veterinary clinic. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

You didn’t ask me, but if I have a choice I’ll favor places that don’t force me to wear unnecessary piece of apparel over my face. It’ll be much more enjoyable to stroll through Walmart sans mask than go to HEB until they change their position. I imagine I’m not the only one. And I’m used to wearing one all day at my holistic chiropractic/veterinary clinic. 

I mentioned my experience the other day about walking around w/o mask and no one cared (managers, etc.).  Since HEB is mostly in places unlike Austin, where people are much more inclined to go maskless, I would guess that their policy would "officially" change any day, and/or that in most stores they won't care despite whatever "official" policy is.  It's funny - the large banners on the stores that say "local ordinance and national protocol" are now obsolete (well, no one really knows what Austin's policy is - now - because of course they're mum on it since the CDC statement).  But since the State policy is no masks required anywhere, they'll be under increasing pressure to let up and have people make their own choice.  I would expect some re-statement by HEB within the week.  Otherwise I'll just shop at my local one, where they obviously don't care about mandated masking anymore.

22 minutes ago, Bookman said:

What GR said. 
have you ever worn a mask over your face before this on a regular basis. Of course not. Why?  Because it’s less comfortable than not wearing a mask. This isn’t remotely hard to understand. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

That's not what he said.

8 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I mentioned my experience the other day about walking around w/o mask and no one cared (managers, etc.).  Since HEB is mostly in places unlike Austin, where people are much more inclined to go maskless, I would guess that their policy would "officially" change any day, and/or that in most stores they won't care despite whatever "official" policy is.  It's funny - the large banners on the stores that say "local ordinance and national protocol" are now obsolete (well, no one really knows what Austin's policy is - now - because of course they're mum on it since the CDC statement).  But since the State policy is no masks required anywhere, they'll be under increasing pressure to let up and have people make their own choice.  I would expect some re-statement by HEB within the week.  Otherwise I'll just shop at my local one, where they obviously don't care about mandated masking anymore.

I am vaccinated and do not need a mask, but unlike you, I respect private businesses’ requests to wear masks. They don’t say anything to you because they’ve instructed their employees not to have confrontations with anti-maskers (I.e. - assholes) that intentionally flaunt their policies.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'd rather walk through an HEB in a full Hazmat suit to do my shopping than ever set foot in the white trash paradise of Walmart, mask or no mask.  

The good thing about WalMart is you always feel better about your body after you’ve been in one. 

15 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

It is hard to be more wrong in your wrongness.  

Our Walmart is really not bad. Aisles less crowded. Food options improving. Still don’t buy meat there. 

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

I am vaccinated and do not need a mask, but unlike you, I respect private businesses’ requests to wear masks. They don’t say anything to you because they’ve instructed their employees not to have confrontations with anti-maskers (I.e. - assholes) that intentionally flaunt their policies.

Fortunately this sentiment, and Karens like you, are going the way of the dinosaur increasingly each day.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, smoky said:

Teacher's Unions have done fuck all the past year to get kids back in the classroom.

"When you're being run out of town, get out in front and call it a parade"

Two groups of people stand at a raised drawbridge. Group A says let's cross now and begins climbing the bridge as some members fall in the water. Group B says we can't cross yet, the bridge is up. Once the bridge starts to lower, Group B says let's get ready to cross. The surviving members of Group A taunt Group B for just now deciding to cross. Which group is being reasonable and which group is a bunch of a lunatics? 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

doing what makes me happy. You do you and that’s cool and I will do me and as long as neither of our behaviors affects the other I’m fine

The sweet, sweet irony of someone saying this while bitching since last year about having to wear masks during a pandemic of a highly communicable airborne disease is.... just...

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Fortunately this sentiment, and Karens like you, are going the way of the dinosaur increasingly each day.

It is fortunate that respect for private property is going the way of the dinosaurs? 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s not about punishing. I’m fully vaccinated. Most people that are going to get Vax already are. It’s completely pointless to wear a mask now. I’m fixing to get rid of my mask forever. Thus, I won’t be shopping anywhere that requires a mask. Because I won’t have one. Because I don’t need one. Because science. 

On the business side of it, according to OSHA, if someone gets a positive at work, it goes down as a recordable for the company. If someone dies from Covid that is deemed traced back to work, is that fatality for the company that requires a full investigation?  I’m sure most of the businesses don’t want them, but there is a little more to it for businesses currently. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Dahobbs said:

It is fortunate that respect for private property is going the way of the dinosaurs? 

Hmmm... looking back, I don't remember throwing a brick through their window, so maybe that's not quite a good analogy.  I think you missed what that sentiment is.

Anyway, unlike some on here, I'm not part of HEB management apparently, who know what they've told customers lately.  Funny thing is, I found the official statements and HEB does not absolutely require masks.  After the uproar following Abbott's statement in March, they relaxed their policy.  Now they will 1) ask you if you have a mask, 2) offer one if you don't, and 3) say thanks.  This was a month ago.  Their official policy is that they "urge" people to do so. Here's their CEO:

Chron's Jay R. Jordan recently spoke with H-E-B president Scott McClelland after H-E-B said it would not require customers to wear masks once the mandate ends

McClelland said then that customers not wearing a mask would be asked to put one on. If they don't have one, a Partner would offer them a mask. But McClelland said associates would not escalate the situation if the customer continued to refuse.

Of course some of the Karens (and there are some on either side) don't see gray areas - anyone who doesn't think like they do is obviously an idiot.  Yet, when I went there (with mask), I noticed that half the store (yes, half) had no masks on - and see, no one was asking/offering/etc. them anything.  It was obvious that they were no longer being sticklers about it - and it was obvious that they were much less concerned about it than even a month ago.  Of course if they asked me to re-mask, I would have (and contrary to the Leading Karen Theory of the day) would't have stewed about it.  But they didn't, so I remained mask free - and of course violated no official HEB policy in the process.  My store clearly was far more lax - without some dreaded phantom fear - about trying to keep customers masked.  They simply and obviously didn't care.  So did they "lose respect" for their own private business too?  Weird.

Of course McClelland's statement was from March 8 - 2 months ago - and HEB hasn't updated it yet.  They will within the next week or so - they have to, because they'll then be behind the curve of keeping current.

The "sentiment" I refer to is idiotic prejudice that if everyone isn't masking, they're doing something wrong.  No, now the Feds, State, and many localities are relaxing restrictions - and the "dinosaur" is that thinking masking at this point makes much of a difference is decreasing day by day - and rightfully so.  Pretty soon people vehemently into "wear the mask!" will be on the outside, looking in.  And I'm talking days, not weeks.  No one is "flaunting" shit - they're simply being more forward about de-masking (and of course the CDC is on board).  If a place still has the policy, and I want to go there - shock! - I'll wear the mask, and - another shock! - won't grouse about it.

But we're now clearly in getting back to normal territory and it should be pretty much ubiquitous within the next weeks.  From there (contrary to more idiotic presumption) if someone's still wearing a mask, good for them - it makes them feel more secure, I'm all for their happiness/satisfaction, and would never chew them out for it.   So I removed my mask at HEB, no one cared (note:  not "got all flustered and wished I would get with the program), and that was it.  All good, see?

But the time is now that we're rapidly moving towards a de-masked society again.  

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

The sweet, sweet irony of someone saying this while bitching since last year about having to wear masks during a pandemic of a highly communicable airborne disease is.... just...

giphy.gif

And I’ve complied with everything asked of me throughout. My point has always been about the efficacy of masks. If you don’t want to get this thing stay home. Don’t go inside with others. Transmission rates in mask compliant states vs non mask compliant (or required) states was never enough different to justify compulsory wear imo. I stick my that. While also having always complied at all times with any policy. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

There is one downside to all of the unmasking going on that no one is talking about. There’s a teacher with a slamming body at my kid’s preschool that handles drop offs in the mornings. Well, she finally took off her mask and as my dad used to say, she could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence. That material is gone, sigh. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8

8 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Hmmm... looking back, I don't remember throwing a brick through their window, so maybe that's not quite a good analogy.  I think you missed what that sentiment is.

Anyway, unlike some on here, I'm not part of HEB management apparently, who know what they've told customers lately.  Funny thing is, I found the official statements and HEB does not absolutely require masks.  After the uproar following Abbott's statement in March, they relaxed their policy.  Now they will 1) ask you if you have a mask, 2) offer one if you don't, and 3) say thanks.  This was a month ago.  Their official policy is that they "urge" people to do so. Here's their CEO:

Of course some of the Karens (and there are some on either side) don't see gray areas - anyone who doesn't think like they do is obviously an idiot.  Yet, when I went there (with mask), I noticed that half the store (yes, half) had no masks on - and see, no one was asking/offering/etc. them anything.  It was obvious that they were no longer being sticklers about it - and it was obvious that they were much less concerned about it than even a month ago.  Of course if they asked me to re-mask, I would have (and contrary to the Leading Karen Theory of the day) would't have stewed about it.  But they didn't, so I remained mask free - and of course violated no official HEB policy in the process.  My store clearly was far more lax - without some dreaded phantom fear - about trying to keep customers masked.  They simply and obviously didn't care.  So did they "lose respect" for their own private business too?  Weird.

Of course McClelland's statement was from March 8 - 2 months ago - and HEB hasn't updated it yet.  They will within the next week or so - they have to, because they'll then be behind the curve of keeping current.

The "sentiment" I refer to is idiotic prejudice that if everyone isn't masking, they're doing something wrong.  No, now the Feds, State, and many localities are relaxing restrictions - and the "dinosaur" is that thinking masking at this point makes much of a difference is decreasing day by day - and rightfully so.  Pretty soon people vehemently into "wear the mask!" will be on the outside, looking in.  And I'm talking days, not weeks.  No one is "flaunting" shit - they're simply being more forward about de-masking (and of course the CDC is on board).  If a place still has the policy, and I want to go there - shock! - I'll wear the mask, and - another shock! - won't grouse about it.

But we're now clearly in getting back to normal territory and it should be pretty much ubiquitous within the next weeks.  From there (contrary to more idiotic presumption) if someone's still wearing a mask, good for them - it makes them feel more secure, I'm all for their happiness/satisfaction, and would never chew them out for it.   So I removed my mask at HEB, no one cared (note:  not "got all flustered and wished I would get with the program), and that was it.  All good, see?

But the time is now that we're rapidly moving towards a de-masked society again.  

Umm, did you actually read the post you originally quoted? All it said was "I respect private businesses' requests to wear masks." No where in his post did he say "if everyone isn't masking, they're doing something wrong." If a private business has a policy that you wear masks, you should wear one. But at this point it is difficult for them to enforce that policy because so many people freak out when asked to wear a mask, so I understand not wanting to escalate the situation further. That group of people also makes it difficult for businesses to treat the vaccinated and unvaccinated differently (i.e., follow the science and CDC guidelines) because they'll freak out if someone asks for a vaccination card. I think private businesses basically only have two practical choices right now, and neither is ideal: treat everyone as vaccinated or treat everyone as unvaccinated. There are reasonable arguments for both from a business perspective. And I think a lot of businesses will do like HEB, request that customers wear masks without actually enforcing the policy. 

It’ll be much more enjoyable to stroll through Walmart sans mask than go to HEB until they change their position.

Anastasis beat me to if, but this may be the most aggy shit I’ve ever seen on this website.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

Teacher's Unions have done fuck all the past year to get kids back in the classroom.”

Two groups of people stand at a lowered drawbridge with the red warning light still blinking. After an hour, Group A says let's cross now and begins crossing the bridge as the flashing light continues to blink (no school children died).

Group B says we can't cross yet, the light is blinking. Two months pass, Group B says let's get ready to cross. The surviving members of Group A taunt Group B for just now deciding to cross. Which group is being reasonable and which group is a bunch of a lunatics? 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

My HEB in the Heights changed their signage over the weekend. I went in yesterday and the now outdated "Customers must wear marks as required by local and state health ordinances" signs have been replaced by something along the lines of "Please mask up. Protect your neighbor. Masks can protect both you and those around you."

Crowd still ~95% masked though. Think at this point even people that are vaccinated and tired of wearing a mask don't want to be the odd man out in a crowd of entirely masked strangers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

My HEB in the Heights changed their signage over the weekend. I went in yesterday and the now outdated "Customers must wear marks as required by local and state health ordinances" signs have been replaced by something along the lines of "Please mask up. Protect your neighbor. Masks can protect both you and those around you."

Crowd still ~95% masked though. Think at this point even people that are vaccinated and tired of wearing a mask don't want to be the odd man out in a crowd of entirely masked strangers. 

Went to HEB on Buffalo Speedway, probably 20 percent not masking now.  My office building just 86'ed the mask requirement.

Church is weird.  I and a few others are the only ones who do not wear a mask sitting in the pews (we wear them walking in like we would in a restaurant and families distance when sitting down).  In bible class of 40 in a smaller room, everyone takes off their masks.  It is weird to me.

21 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Personally, I think HEB should at least update its policy to specify that unvaccinated are requested to wear a mask . Yes, it provides cover for some people to be assholes. But it also gives permission for those that have been vaccinated to demask without fear of reprisal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

It’ll be much more enjoyable to stroll through Walmart sans mask than go to HEB until they change their position.

Seriously...the fuck is wrong with you? I'm not even a never-Walmarter--sometimes I'm feeling lazy and want to buy laundry detergent, fuel additives, bananas, and an HDMI cable from the same store--but come the fuck on. Sure, give me shittier quality food to avoid having to wear a mask for 15 minutes. Explains you profile picture, at least.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

LOL! 

As if we needed more proof that you don’t actually live in San Antonio you go and post this complete nonsense. 

• Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away